Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Velocity Raptor posted:

PSA for anyone considering buying Helldivers 2, Sony just announced that they will be enforcing the requirement that you link your PSN account (and log in) to play on Steam. Not commenting about whether this is a good or a bad thing (that can be done in the Helldivers thread) but wanted to give people a heads up that this is something that will need to be considered before you purchase as people in some countries aren't able to create PSN accounts, as I understand it.

I have a strong suspicion that this requirement is due to crossplay issues. I bought the game a couple of months ago on Steam because a friend with a PS5 wanted to play together, but we haven’t been able to get in games in all that time because crossplay friend requests have been turbofucked since the beginning. They’ve supposedly been working on it for months and there have been several patches (and battle passes lol) without ever getting any of the extensive matchmaking and friendlist issues sorted. Game itself seems cool, but the technical side of things has been a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if they had made PSN required from the start it probably wouldn't have been a big deal but welp

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

PSA for anyone considering buying Helldivers 2, Sony just announced that they will be enforcing the requirement that you link your PSN account (and log in) to play on Steam. Not commenting about whether this is a good or a bad thing (that can be done in the Helldivers thread) but wanted to give people a heads up that this is something that will need to be considered before you purchase as people in some countries aren't able to create PSN accounts, as I understand it.

Some VP’s earning his bonus juicing the active account numbers this quarter lmao

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's a hell of a lot of games comin out with the two grabby hand control style. Must be something in the water?

Oh good it wasn't just me that noticed this.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i wonder if steam will allow refunds here outside of the normal scope since the game is effectively becoming unplayable for a lot of people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i wonder if steam will allow refunds here outside of the normal scope since the game is effectively becoming unplayable for a lot of people.

Wouldn't that run into the issue of those people only being able to buy Helldivers in the first place because of region swapping which Steam technically frowns upon? Or are they selling it in all countries, even ones that don't have PSN support?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

repiv posted:

if they had made PSN required from the start it probably wouldn't have been a big deal but welp

They did, from what I understand. It was causing issues so they disabled it for a while. I imagine they fixed those problems so they are re-enabling it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Awesome! posted:

Nope. I tried to put a refund request earlier stating that I don't want to make a PSN account due to security concerns since PSN has been the target of multiple data breaches, with the most recent being 6 months ago.

I got back a form response of "You're past the 2 hour refund window, lol."

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I have a strong suspicion that this requirement is due to crossplay issues. I bought the game a couple of months ago on Steam because a friend with a PS5 wanted to play together, but we haven’t been able to get in games in all that time because crossplay friend requests have been turbofucked since the beginning. They’ve supposedly been working on it for months and there have been several patches (and battle passes lol) without ever getting any of the extensive matchmaking and friendlist issues sorted. Game itself seems cool, but the technical side of things has been a mess.

The community manager stated that it was an edict passed down from Sony and not a decision by the Helldivers team, so it won't have been for a technical reason like crossplay.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Some VP’s earning his bonus juicing the active account numbers this quarter lmao

yeah it's 100% about chasing the KPIs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Some might say that Sony is PSN' away their goodwill!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Some might say that Sony is PSN' away their goodwill!

this is one of your better ones

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Dragged my feet on Helldivers II and am glad about it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Dragged my feet on Helldivers II and am glad about it.

Patient gamers stay winning

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

As ever. Though I got priced out of the sweet spot for Gamecube ownership...

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
It is unfortunate that Sony rather want revenue from metrics and user data rather than direct revenue from the playerbase. Enforcing the account linking now is going to shrink the playerbase

Phlegmish posted:

5-10 years from now, Helldivers II will be part of some humble bundle and not require PSN account linking.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ImpAtom posted:

Wouldn't that run into the issue of those people only being able to buy Helldivers in the first place because of region swapping which Steam technically frowns upon? Or are they selling it in all countries, even ones that don't have PSN support?

they have been selling it in countries without PSN support, yes

like i mentioned earlier: The Philippines is a very notable example

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Dungeon Crawlers bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fungeon-crawlers

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Lunacid is good, but not sure if it can carry the $15 teir.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

Lunacid is good, but not sure if it can carry the $15 teir.

You can get Lunacid in the $11 tier. The $15 is only for Abalon and MythForce

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's pretty funny how the reddit boards etc are full of americans who don't even mention the serious issues like philippines etc and are just mad about having to cough up their email and remember a password.
it's nearly as bad as the games where they have to spend 5 minutes interacting with a non-steam storefront (terror of terrors!)

like this is clearly stupid petty bullshit forced by sony but pc gamers always get way too mad about petty bullshit and minor inconveniences

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Flair posted:

You can get Lunacid in the $11 tier. The $15 is only for Abalon and MythForce

Ah, you're right. Don't know how I messed that up. Lunacid is a good grab at for 11 dollars if you are a fan of (or curious about) a game inspired by King's Field.

mystes
May 31, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's pretty funny how the reddit boards etc are full of americans who don't even mention the serious issues like philippines etc and are just mad about having to cough up their email and remember a password.
it's nearly as bad as the games where they have to spend 5 minutes interacting with a non-steam storefront (terror of terrors!)

like this is clearly stupid petty bullshit forced by sony but pc gamers always get way too mad about petty bullshit and minor inconveniences
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gl7tayVdvw

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
This is a big deal!! we are gamers and we demand to be taken seriously!!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Luckily my PSN password was breeched, so I can simply look it up from the dumps instead of having to remember it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Koburn posted:

I mean yeah? whats your problem?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This but unironically

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Back in my day you sometimes had to create a boot disk if you wanted to play a game. Surely that's more of a hassle than signing up for a Paradox account or whatever. We've been through worse. We can endure.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Koburn posted:

This is actually a big deal if there are countries where making the required account is impossible. Bit lovely.

Anyone play Chrono Ark and can say whether it's horny in a creepy way or just horny? It looks very anime but also kinda cool.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
ChatGPT, generate one of those galaxy brain memes, where the small brain image is "getting mad because a corporation is doing something obnoxious" and the big brain image is "getting mad because other people are getting mad because a corporation is doing something obnoxious". Trending on artstation, big breasts, enormous breasts, good artwork, hands look normal,

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
TIL that you can’t get a PSN account in the Philippines. Why the hell is that a thing?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Koburn posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:( I feel bad for that lil fella

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

credburn posted:

Back in my day you sometimes had to create a boot disk if you wanted to play a game. Surely that's more of a hassle than signing up for a Paradox account or whatever. We've been through worse. We can endure.

himem.sys never signed me up for spam emails

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Anti-Hero posted:

TIL that you can’t get a PSN account in the Philippines. Why the hell is that a thing?

did you know they still sell playstation consoles there but you have to break TOS and lie about your country to use PSN there

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

total war shogun 2: okay I've been spoiled by the warhammer games, my legendary generals in shogun 2 have 10 hitpoints and fall over if you look at them funny :argh:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

credburn posted:

It's not the effort people are annoyed with, it's that people are more aware of and sensitive to what "Create an account to play" actually means, and are tired of being treated as a product. You already paid for the game, but the publisher still demands your info so they can get more money when they sell it.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

This is actually a big deal if there are countries where making the required account is impossible. Bit lovely.

Anyone play Chrono Ark and can say whether it's horny in a creepy way or just horny? It looks very anime but also kinda cool.

I have about 20 hours in it that I have been playing on and off since early access and it's not creepy at all IMO. I haven't unlocked all the lore bits or characters but seems fine so far.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

This is how I learned there are two species of endemic crocs in the Phillipines

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's not the effort people are annoyed with, it's that people are more aware of and sensitive to what "Create an account to play" actually means, and are tired of being treated as a product. You already paid for the game, but the publisher still demands your info so they can get more money when they sell it.

This is probably a better discussion elsewhere, and maybe there's a thread for this, but I don't understand what the big deal is. So they have your information, who cares? They know your geographical location, your gaming habits, maybe the things you search for and what your last Amazon purchase was. What's the big deal? They're not getting your credit card information and selling that or anything.

They can have all my data. I'm not doing anything with it, and I almost exclusively find my interests through word of mouth or my own searches; I can't remember the last time a targeted ad felt at all relevant to me. Well, except wish.com, that got me. Wish is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

credburn posted:

I don't understand what the big deal is.

Yeah credburn, we know