Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Charliegrs posted:

Yes? Why is that so hard to believe. You think Hamas cares about the Palestinian people?

Yes. They’re shooting the people trying to exterminate Palestinians. This is a really gross way to try and both sides a genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The Saudi’s / Egypt normalizing with Israel would have been an existential problem for Hamas as a group and that’s probably why it all happened.

Would the normalization of relations between Saudi Arabia and Egypt stop the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians and ended the apartheid?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It was known well before the attacks in October 23 that Isreal always overreacts to an extreme degree. They knew before doing the attacks on the scale they did in Oct that the overreaction from Isreal would be extremely bad for everybody in Gaza. They might not have realized it would be genocide bad.

The Saudi’s / Egypt normalizing with Israel would have been an existential problem for Hamas as a group and that’s probably why it all happened.

So is your position that Hamas doesn't care about the Palestinian people?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The belief that politicians, or a political party, care about anything other than their political and personal enrichment is usually deluded and dangerous.

Here's an understatement: not everything Hamas has done can be explained by the claim that they're "mindless savages", and I don't think all of it can be explained by a deep, principled commitment to the welfare of every Palestinian, but it can all be explained by the pretty obvious idea that the party's leaders want to be the leaders of a powerful, independent Palestinian state, and in the meantime they want to be leaders of whatever resistance exists in Palestine - that they are ordinary (except for their level of competency) political actors in an extraordinary situation.

I find it completely plausible that they would attack the pier the US government is constructing. To continue the comparison, imagine if the Nazis tried to set up parking lots for aid trucks in the Warsaw Ghetto, during the Warsaw Ghetto uprising. Of course the rebels would attack it! It's the enemy! What's the alternative, permit the enemy to organize infrastructure in the territory you're asking people to fight and die to protect from them?

Once you start saying "yes they are our enemy in certain contexts but in another context we'll be permitting them within our borders to distribute aid," it's objectively collaboration, and it's going to be read as tantamount to betrayal of the martyrs, right?

Unless the idea is that Palestinian public sentiment sharply delineates between the Israeli and American militaries, which is not plausible at all to me.

I'm sorry, but this is a recapitulation of the hasbara canard of "Save Gaza... from Hamas!!" that paints Hamas as a club of billionaire playboys going on fun private vacations on the UNRWA dime while Gaza starves because they're just inhumanly nasty and ontologically evil. It's one step apart from the thought-terminating blanket designation of "terrorist" to one that appears a little more nuanced but trades the slavering islamophobia for a similarly hairbrained cynicism.

Will Hamas attack the pier? Who knows? Does it represent an active threat to their operations in the area because it's literally a beachhead by an armed pro-Israeli force? Can the US or israel or both effectively leverage it against Hamas? Is it worth it to get the food and supplies? Are they established enough that they can ignore or write that area off or would it be too much of an incursion to allow, that it might severely undermine them in part or all of Gaza and mean, therefore, that there will soon be literally no resistance to the IOF stomping around Gaza as they please? I don't know, I'm not fighting for my life and the lives of everyone I care about in Gaza.

Maybe, when whatever happens, I will disagree on whatever tactical or pragmatic grounds, but I don't have the ideologically necessary blinders to try to pretend that the actions of Hamas since October 7th and whatever they will do if and when this pier is constructed is because they don't care about the Palestinian people. Jesus.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It was known well before the attacks in October 23 that Isreal always overreacts to an extreme degree. They knew before doing the attacks on the scale they did in Oct that the overreaction from Isreal would be extremely bad for everybody in Gaza. They might not have realized it would be genocide bad.

If Hamas cared about Palestine they would have let everyone get starved and murdered a little bit more slowly? Is that the argument? Tell me, what do you think SA and Egypt normalizing relations with israel would do to the plight of the Palestinians? Or were those nasty Hamas guys just motivated by all of the billions of UN dollars they got for producing Pallywood videos?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I explicitly stated in my post that Biden's course "will certainly cause some people to not vote for Biden on principal" (whether that results in them voting 3rd party or not voting at all). I am aware that the current situation will cause harm for Biden, it just seems clear that the alternative is worse because in that scenario the (roughly equal number of) pro-Israel Democrats aren't just having to make a call on whether they should abstain on principal, but rather whether they should vote for a candidate who much better represents their views. Not only do they have a far stronger reason to defect, but each defection is twice as painful because they will be voting for the other guy rather than not voting.

Are you saying pro Israeli Democrats will vote for Trump? What's your proof?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Shageletic posted:

Are you saying pro Israeli Democrats will vote for Trump? What's your proof?

I think they are saying that the Democratic party would lose more votes to Trump by not supporting the genocide than those by having some people vote third party or not turn up by supporting it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, considering everything else Israel has done, I'm more concerned about one of their soldiers taking pot shots at the pier and then just blaming Hamas for it, hoping that the US will get dragged into the conflict.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Randalor posted:

Honestly, considering everything else Israel has done, I'm more concerned about one of their soldiers taking pot shots at the pier and then just blaming Hamas for it, hoping that the US will get dragged into the conflict.

that was my thought as well given that time they blew up Al-Shifa hospital and were like "uhhhh Hamas did that"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it is completely and utterly insane to think that the people fighting for the freedom of Palestine don't actually care about Palestine. Are they really just mindless savages to you?

Oct 7th and decades of suicide bombings showed that yes they are savages. Like I'm no fan of Israel but come on are people really trying to say Hamas are the good guys here? I want freedom for the Palestinians like every other sane person but I draw the line at defending Hamas.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Charliegrs posted:

Oct 7th and decades of suicide bombings showed that yes they are savages. Like I'm no fan of Israel but come on are people really trying to say Hamas are the good guys here? I want freedom for the Palestinians like every other sane person but I draw the line at defending Hamas.

do you consider the IDF "savages"? surely murdering tens of thousands of civilians in indiscriminate bombings is as bad as 10/7 right?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Charliegrs posted:

So why are you merely not a fan of Israel while repulsed by Hamas when Israel's crimes are, in every comparison, worse?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Lol surely openly and directly calling Palestinians ‘savages,’ literally agreeing that you think it’s the appropriate word, changes the hitler status of that post to ‘not calm’

Surely

:stare:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

theCalamity posted:

Would the normalization of relations between Saudi Arabia and Egypt stop the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians and ended the apartheid?

No idea how it wood have turned out. We didn’t get to find out as Hamas acted in reaction to it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

So is your position that Hamas doesn't care about the Palestinian people?

I’m not drawing a conclusion. I’m asserting that:

1) Israel’s overreaction was extremely predictable.
2) Hamas would have been very very aware of 1).
3) They chose to attack in Oct 2023.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Even if you’re glued to the position that Hamas are “savages” (yikes), they’re clearly pragmatic to some degree. Helping Israel further starve the Palestinian people to death doesn’t seem like a pragmatic move to me, given that they probably want to still have at least some Gazans healthy enough to recruit and fight with them. It also seems like bombing the pier wouldn’t endear Hamas to most Gazans.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

punishedkissinger posted:

do you consider the IDF "savages"? surely murdering tens of thousands of civilians in indiscriminate bombings is as bad as 10/7 right?

not to mention the kneecapping contest at the march of return, not to mention....all sorts of other things the IDF did even going back to before hamas existed

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Anyone of any ethical standing whatsoever has long understood that Hamas are freedom fighters, not terrorists or savages or whatever breathtakingly racist and Islamophobic denigration you want to throw at them. It'd be nice if somehow, magically, their psychotic oppressors would just dissolve into dust one day without any violence, but they're fighting for their lives and the lives of their people. Until Palestine is free, I and anyone with a single ounce of moral clarity will proudly and openly support Hamas and condemn the demoniac zionist entity and the subjugation and depraved wanton violence it imposes.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No idea how it wood have turned out. We didn’t get to find out as Hamas acted in reaction to it.

Given the nature of Israel and the performative stance of the United States, we can assume that if relations were normalized, the apartheid and ethnic cleansing would continue and possibly make it harder to combat.

Are the oppressed not allowed to defend themselves from their oppressors?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Charliegrs posted:

idk about this one chief

like maybe perhaps reducing an entire group to "savages" is not the best thing you can do

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Savages!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pImdvmIw0Ec

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’m not drawing a conclusion. I’m asserting that:

Should you not resist occupation if you think the reprisal will kill the people you're resisting for?

What's your point

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The indiscriminate bombings aren't that bad once you dehumize the IDF's enemies enough.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's worth noting, when discussing fault, that over 250 Palestinians were killed in 2023 prior to October. Israel had completely slacked the reins on the settlers.

It's more surprising to me that Hamas didn't act until Al-Aqsa was raided again.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Reverence posted:

What's your point

There’s a whole lot of simplistic dualistic thinking happening.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

What’s the simplistic dualistic thinking you’re concerned about? You joined this conversation by answering whether or not Hamas is fighting for Palestinians by saying that they should’ve known that Israel would overreact, the implication being that Hamas ignited this genocide which is basically the propaganda line of “Fee Gaza from Hamas”. You bring up the relations normalization but forget that Israel has been ethnically cleansing Palestinians for decades

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I'm sorry, but this is a recapitulation of the hasbara canard of "Save Gaza... from Hamas!!" that paints Hamas as a club of billionaire playboys going on fun private vacations on the UNRWA dime while Gaza starves because they're just inhumanly nasty and ontologically evil. It's one step apart from the thought-terminating blanket designation of "terrorist" to one that appears a little more nuanced but trades the slavering islamophobia for a similarly hairbrained cynicism.

The people in Gaza don't need to be saved from Hamas, they need to be saved from the State of Israel which is conducting a seige with wild aggression toward civilian life and infrastructure to the point of genocide. Hamas, as the ruling political party in Gaza, is leading the resistance to that seige.

Hamas is not inhumanly nasty or ontologically evil. They're a political party that, like the rest of them, responds to political incentives and threats as much as the competencies of its functionaries allow. If you call that cynical, fair enough, but I'd honestly say believing anything else makes you a sucker. Political parties should be assumed to be self-interested until proven otherwise, and I haven't seen the proof otherwise in the case of Hamas or any other political party or firm.

Worth noting that saying a political party is self-interested is not the same as saying that everyone involved in it is self-interested. The party's leadership are not laughing to themselves about the hilarious scam they pulled on the Palestinian people or lower-ranking members of the party, how they tricked them into surrendering their lives so leadership can live in luxury. Maybe some small portion of them are like that, and another portion are truly selfish saints who have no capacity for self-interest at all, but I think Hamas's decisions, like that of any political party, are pretty explainable by the idea that the people making those decisions want the party to lead a robust, independent state.

quote:

Are they established enough that they can ignore or write that area off or would it be too much of an incursion to allow, that it might severely undermine them in part or all of Gaza and mean, therefore, that there will soon be literally no resistance to the IOF stomping around Gaza as they please? I don't know, I'm not fighting for my life and the lives of everyone I care about in Gaza.

Yeah, I don't think Hamas is going to "ignore or write ... off" any part of Gaza, at least not publicly, not if they have any choice in the matter, because their entire appeal to the Palestinian people, particularly the men and women they're getting to fight and die for them, is that they are defending Gaza from this horrible seige.

I think the pier, as proposed by the US, is functionally equivalent to "the IOF stomping around Gaza as they please." It's the US army and not the Israelis themselves, but they're famously integrated allies. It's only a part of Gaza and not the whole thing, but it's Gaza. It's an enemy presence in Gaza when the whole raison d'etre of Hamas is to combat the enemy's control over Gaza, particularly right now as the enemy is making Gaza into hell on earth.

I think for Hamas to allow this pier to exist would be literal collaboration with an enemy state. Even if you totally reject my understanding of Hamas, and you say the party has no self-interest, it will always decide to pursue the welfare of Palestine even if Hamas itself is completely destroyed in doing so - then their militant style of resistance indicates that they would not evaluate collaboration with the US military as congruent with that way of making decisions.

quote:

Or were those nasty Hamas guys just motivated by all of the billions of UN dollars they got for producing Pallywood videos?

The suffering of the Palestinian people at the hands of the Israeli state is extremely real and gravely serious. I didn't say otherwise and the implication that I think otherwise is really offensive honestly.

Except for the most literal interpretations, everything I've said about the Palestinian people, I would say about the victims of the Holocaust, and everything I've said about Hamas, I would also say about the political parties that led the Nazi invasions of their countries.

The unlikeliness of this pier to succeed in saving Gaza, because of its logistical limitations, because Hamas has not indicated they will tolerate it and I don't know why they would, because it cannot stop the IDF from shooting people and bombing them - just one more reason that this genocide has to end in the way I think we all know it will end, the United States finally pulls Israel's chain tight enough to drag it to the negotiating table.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 3, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

theCalamity posted:

You bring up the relations normalization but forget that Israel has been ethnically cleansing Palestinians for decades

No, that’s incorrect. That’s why I list 1) and 2) . These dynamics have been ongoing for a very long time.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

No, that’s incorrect. That’s why I list 1) and 2) . These dynamics have been ongoing for a very long time.

And these are the reasons why you think Hamas doesn’t care about Palestinians?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bar Ran Dun posted:

And you bring this up in response to a question of whether or not someone else believed Hamas doesn't care about the Palestinian people. Are we to believe that your answer is a non sequitur? Or do you have a position that you're unwilling to state plainly?

Here, I'll even go first: I believe Hamas cares about the welfare of the Palestinian people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Bar I may respect you a whole lot, but you are running from answering a question that you don't like because it is forcing you to examine what you wrote out. What you wrote is something that you probably would not have done if you had thought it through some more, but instead you posted from the heart and as such have had to confront that bit of yourself.

The search for complexity, for nuance in a situation that has it is a very common one, but it is not always necessary and it is sometimes an active impediment to doing good in the world.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Someone should have told the guy who killed Earsnt von Rath or the Warsaw Ghetto insurgents that they were only provoking a Nazi overreaction. So much death could have been avoided!

If you’re still not getting it Israel would have exterminated or displaced Palestine just as much as the Nazis would have eventually. Hamas chose to provoke them to fight on their own terms instead of die slowly in a way that westerners would find acceptable. Oct 7 wasn’t an inciting incident, as far as the military targets attacked by Hamas and PIJ it was the strategic response to decades of illegal military blockades and acts of war by Israel in order to achieve a clear political objective.

If we’re allowed to call victims of genocide savages for fighting back can we call apartheid supporters and both side centrists freaks and cowards, where exactly is the line for :decorum: here?

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 3, 2024

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Israel has been committing slow motion genocide while the world watches for decades. They chose to risk speeding that up rather than die or be expelled quietly. The last time they did a peaceful protest Israel treated it as a shooting gallery. Their snipers had kneecapping contests. Don't act like they're irrationally ignoring a real peace process.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Weird since Biden was strongly supportive of the BLM protests

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1786140566956163326

kind of just suggests that Dems only supported that movement because Trump was in office and would fully back brutal police crackdowns on it if it happened under Biden.

Why is it weird?

The American public views the recent events in the Middle East as instigated by Hamas and that's who they are blaming. Biden while he's not a zealous supporter of Israeli like Republicans he's still at a minimum sympathetic.

I don't know what else to really say, it is sad but I/P is a low, low priority on voters mind and incredibly unlikely to sway the outcome of the 2024 US Election. It's something that supercharges young educated voters but those are tiny in number and most young people don't vote in the first place. Maybe if Netanyahu actually invades Rafa you'll see some changes but it's already known Biden's relationship with him isn't great anyway.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

This is racist as hell.

So many have been probated for far less than this.

The decades of suicide bombings is a complete lie as it was realized after their advent that they were damaging to the Palestinian cause. Which is why you haven’t heard of it much since the end of the 90s.

You are poorly informed then come in labeling people as savages? Go read up about Israeli military actions like the sniping of the Great March of Return and have a look at yourself.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The people in Gaza don't need to be saved from Hamas, they need to be saved from the State of Israel...

Nice post, I've been thinking along the same lines. I.e. what if making this pier for the aid of Palestinians was never even the point, the ulterior motive being that the US/Israel are only really doing it to delegitimize or keep an eye on the resistance?

I.e. Sure Palestinians need the aid, but it would also act as another front for the IDF/US intelligence to monitor the area. Surely Hamas or other resistance groups could have a hard time operating anywhere near there if it is considered to be neutral territory under the eye of the IDF/US? Yet if Hamas or 'Hamas' attacks any US soldier to avoid that scenario, then they're attacking the aid, therein hurting relations among their own people. Seems like a real net win for Israel to propose this.

Also I don't know poo poo about avenues for humanitarian aid, but what is stopping the US from just air dropping food and medical supplies? Like, would that not be easier and cause less conflict compared to this weird pier that they demolished housing to construct?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Bar I may respect you a whole lot, but you are running from answering a question that you don't like because it is forcing you to examine what you wrote out. What you wrote is something that you probably would not have done if you had thought it through some more, but instead you posted from the heart and as such have had to confront that bit of yourself.

The search for complexity, for nuance in a situation that has it is a very common one, but it is not always necessary and it is sometimes an active impediment to doing good in the world.

JB

I’m not asserting an opinion. I’m listing three things that are generally regarded as factual.

1) Israel overreacts to attacks or even perceived attacks.

2) Hamas has been the object of those overreactions. Hamas knows how Israel overreacts.

3) Hamas took action in Oct 23.

I’m very pointedly not concluding anything. I think Isreal is committing and intends to keep committing a genocide.

My point is that 1-3 are facts, one can support 1) and 2) from a long history. I haven’t seen anyone dispute 3). I haven’t actually seen anyone dispute 1/2.

Hamas considered Israeli normalization with Saudis as threatening enough to attack last October knowing the Israelis would react disproportionately.

I’m not making a moral judgement about this. It is what it is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

JB

I’m not asserting an opinion. I’m listing three things that are generally regarded as factual.

1) Israel overreacts to attacks or even perceived attacks.

2) Hamas has been the object of those overreactions. Hamas knows how Israel overreacts.

3) Hamas took action in Oct 23.

I’m very pointedly not concluding anything. I think Isreal is committing and intends to keep committing a genocide.

My point is that 1-3 are facts, one can support 1) and 2) from a long history. I haven’t seen anyone dispute 3). I haven’t actually seen anyone dispute 1/2.

Hamas considered Israeli normalization with Saudis as threatening enough to attack last October knowing the Israelis would react disproportionately.

I’m not making a moral judgement about this. It is what it is.

So to answer the initial question: no, you do not think Hamas cares about the Palestinian people

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Calling people who are being killed by colonial forces "savages" is certainly an old school bit of genocide rhetoric. And a phenomenally racist one to boot. Ban that person, please.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Charliegrs posted:

Ban this loving racist moron. Please and thank you.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gucci Loafers posted:

Why is it weird?

The American public views the recent events in the Middle East as instigated by Hamas and that's who they are blaming. Biden while he's not a zealous supporter of Israeli like Republicans he's still at a minimum sympathetic.

I don't know what else to really say, it is sad but I/P is a low, low priority on voters mind and incredibly unlikely to sway the outcome of the 2024 US Election. It's something that supercharges young educated voters but those are tiny in number and most young people don't vote in the first place. Maybe if Netanyahu actually invades Rafa you'll see some changes but it's already known Biden's relationship with him isn't great anyway.

usually you want to have a good reason to back a violent crack down on peaceful protesters. voters not being engaged with the issue being protested is not that. also, pretty much everything we know about Biden suggests that he is in fact a hardcore Zionist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So to answer the initial question: no, you do not think Hamas cares about the Palestinian people

Hamas is a group. It’s not a person. Groups are not moral actors in the way individuals are. The self interest of groups is less restrained than individuals consequently.

Do you think there is a divergence between the interests of Hamas and the interests of the Palestinians? I’m actively refraining from speculation . But you seem to think 1), 2) and 3) imply a conclusion. That’s a problem for you not me.