Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1786377308590555262?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

Going back to this, there really is a LOT to analyze:

And nobody has a terribly accurate image of Laios, because to a dwarf he's wispy and effeminate, to an elf he's hulking and crude, and Chilchuck just sees him as a flanderized caricature of himself

And here I thought the Laois Marcille imagines was the wispy and effeminate one since he kind of acted like Fallin

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

This is rad

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

SgtSteel91 posted:

And here I thought the Laois Marcille imagines was the wispy and effeminate one since he kind of acted like Fallin

Marcille focuses on all the ways he isn't like Falin, so he ends up looking hypermasculine in her imagination. Senshi sees the party as a bunch of young'uns to parent via healthy, balanced meals, so both the boys look very babyfaced to him, though his Marcille is overridden by the old animosity between elves and dwarves.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Would totally surround this with candles and a basket of human sacrifices in some creepy hut in the woods of Velen.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Watching the dub kinda added another layer of meta humor to the episode, (not really sure I need to spoil this but whatevs) because the two other, not obviously fake versions of Marcille sound cooler than the real one, though maybe the difference is about the same for her in JP.

It’s also kind of funny how everyone complains about Laios’ inattention to detail, because yeah there’s super obvious tells with his Senshi/Chilchuck clones, but his imposters are accurate in all the ways that matter imo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

:O

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/_marshiyan/status/1786484780541911523?t=ftwumyVIA1K4Z8PSdFdcTg&s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad the shapeshifters turned into leaves and we didn't get the awkward scene of everyone having to talk Laios down from cooking and eating almost identical versions of themselves.

Both characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGxM9edyEE

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 4, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://x.com/DumbuBastard/status/1786229144897962334

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1AxfyGIO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YT3gayZFA

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Been reflecting on some of the previous episodes and there is a neat through-line between some of them I never really thought about before.

In the last episode Holm "summoned" an undine (poured it out of his water bottle lol), and also maybe used some sort of earth elemental to survive chimera Falin's raid-wide enrage. In the undine episodes, Mr. Tansu says gnomes have been living in harmony with nature spirits since time immemorial, and makes a racist remark about how Marcille's carelessness angering the nature spirit is typical of elves.

When Marcille is teaching Laios magic she mentions there's 2 magical traditions which operate on the same underlying principles: The elven magic system and the gnomish magic system, and says that Falin uses the gnomish system.

In the fight with the undine, Marcille takes her typical magical approach to to fighting: trying to blow it up. She survives but it's not particularly effective, she ends up draining all her mana fighting (though without her staff, maybe thats important), gets seriously injured, and isn't able to kill the undine.

However in last episode's fight, chimera Falin seems to use some sort of unique magic to draw-in in the undine to her hand and obliterate it which uh is extremely effective. Granted her magic power has been demonstrated to be augmented from the dragon resurrection, but we can see she's taking a fundamentally different and much more effective approach to dealing with the nature spirits.

Its a real neat piece of world building.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 4, 2024

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
In fairness, as this past episode demonstrated, straight blowing poo poo up is also usually quite effective.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ammat The Ankh posted:

In fairness, as this past episode demonstrated, straight blowing poo poo up is also usually quite effective.

The party should really let Marcille do that more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/butchjpg/status/1786551305227420112?t=VV5o2rr6CeyK1jrWElMrDQ&s=19

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah but we can see that consistently gnome magic does nature spirit stuff really well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TwoPair posted:

I'm just glad the shapeshifters turned into leaves and we didn't get the awkward scene of everyone having to talk Laios down from cooking and eating almost identical versions of themselves.

or you know having to kill someone who sounds plausibly like your friend pleading to live even if you are 60% sure

okay maybe 70%

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Probably a good thing Kabru wasn't involved in this current ep huh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kabru would have pinpointed them 100% right away like the geolocator guy

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Kabru would either have figured it out as fast as he did when they were fish men or he would have identified Holm and wiped/rez'd the whole party in a pretty brutal manner (and still somehow kissed Rin)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm sure Kuro would've stopped it before it even became an issue.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

im assuming scents were simulated too

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I meant that the biggest issue would be the illusions generated by Kabru himself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
right. but would the shapeshifter even go for a party with a kobold? it certainly didn't take to barking very well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I meant that the biggest issue would be the illusions generated by Kabru himself.

go on

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lazy Fair posted:

Been reflecting on some of the previous episodes and there is a neat through-line between some of them I never really thought about before.

In the last episode Holm "summoned" an undine (poured it out of his water bottle lol), and also maybe used some sort of earth elemental to survive chimera Falin's raid-wide enrage. In the undine episodes, Mr. Tansu says gnomes have been living in harmony with nature spirits since time immemorial, and makes a racist remark about how Marcille's carelessness angering the nature spirit is typical of elves.

When Marcille is teaching Laios magic she mentions there's 2 magical traditions which operate on the same underlying principles: The elven magic system and the gnomish magic system, and says that Falin uses the gnomish system.

In the fight with the undine, Marcille takes her typical magical approach to to fighting: trying to blow it up. She survives but it's not particularly effective, she ends up draining all her mana fighting (though without her staff, maybe thats important), gets seriously injured, and isn't able to kill the undine.

However in last episode's fight, chimera Falin seems to use some sort of unique magic to draw-in in the undine to her hand and obliterate it which uh is extremely effective. Granted her magic power has been demonstrated to be augmented from the dragon resurrection, but we can see she's taking a fundamentally different and much more effective approach to dealing with the nature spirits.

Its a real neat piece of world building.

The differences between Elvish style and Gnomish style: Do you think it's like Windows vs Mac Users?

Actually, no, it's that the Academy produces both. Marcille is 100% a Windows user, Falin runs Mac.

Weird self-taught hedge mages like Rin are Linux users. :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Since Kabru is so good at reading people, he might have created illusions that were nearly identical to the real ones.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kabru would have the problem of creating a set of virtually identical clones.

Edit: haha I should have refreshed before replying

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's worth noting that the illusions are how you perceive them, so no matter how good you are at noticing details, your mind will just create something that looks realer than real, to you personally. Like how Chilchuck was absolutely sure that the cooler Senshi was the real one. The only way they managed to counter this was A) having multiple people looking at them so they could cross-compare, and B) Laios realizing new things about people by thinking about it harder than he usually does.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The real Kabru would immediately kill the illusionary Kabrus, causing them to turn into leaves. This would wig the shapeshifter out so much that it would just leave.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Lobe posted:

Kabru would have the problem of creating a set of virtually identical clones.

Edit: haha I should have refreshed before replying

Kabru-cloned Laois would be instantly identifiable because it would remember Kabru's name

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I like that everyone’s impression of Liaos either “Dumb” or “Tall”

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Fister Roboto posted:

Since Kabru is so good at reading people, he might have created illusions that were nearly identical to the real ones.

The best clones were the most flattering ones; Kabru's clones would be "too accurate" and have imperfections that the other clones missed, and the real one would prefer to conceal.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/ireading62/status/1786526126690717974?s=19

Senshi POV dropped

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So we all agree that Giant Laios, Yassified Marcille, Babby Chilchuck and Hotter Senshi are the live-action movie versions of themselves, right?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…dammit, now I want Homer Senshi

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

amigolupus posted:

So we all agree that Giant Laios, Yassified Marcille, Babby Chilchuck and Hotter Senshi are the live-action movie versions of themselves, right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/lysine_slmr/status/1786625959288004886

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Left to right:

Senshi, Marcille, Laios, Chilchuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

…dammit, now I want Homer Senshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwWEPaa_BrM

that's just Troye Sivan