Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Basically every US business I can think of that seriously attempted to compete on better products, vs. the worst cheapest one possible, went bankrupt years ago so can't blame em lol. You don't sell Americans "good"

I think, at least for me, that there is no trust in what is and isn't actually good anymore because of the purposeful flooding of bullshit by con men. I don't know if the whatever I buy is good or not because of fuckery like different SKUs, being made in different factories by completely different companies that just license the name of the brand, venture capitalists who take high end poo poo and hollow it out until it's no better than Walmart poo poo, and decoy designs and misleading packaging. For example, there are several brands of those wall socket power bars that have near identical casings but when you crack open the inside you can see how much of a fire hazard the set up actually is with only part of the plugs being grounded.

It's exhausting, so sometimes it's a "I'm hosed either way, might as well get the cheaper priced one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there's tons of 'premium' brands out there still so we should probably ask for a receipt on that claim

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
We put the "K" in Kuality!

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/rP_yWoH_Nxs?si=f9CWgyACaTMi4U-3

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
All this talk about AI allegedly subverting the dominant paradigm and revolutionizing technology reminds me of Segways. Remember Segways? They were allegedly going to revolutionize human transportation and were super trendy around 2015-ish and there were all these news articles about police forces training on them etc etc and then everyone lost interest and you just stopped hearing about them. It turns out they finally went out of production in 2020 and apparently they only ever sold 140,000 units. The Chinese corporation which bought the rights now manufactures e-scooters and lovely robot lawnmowers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_Inc.

The really hosed up aspect is that this trendy overpriced yuppie gimmick was pretty much a byproduct of technology which was originally developed for self-balancing wheelchairs which proved super difficult to bring to market since they couldn't get the FDA classifications needed to get the units fully covered by Medicare & Medicaid, which meant users had to pay at least $20,000 out of pocket. Their corporate backer discontinued production in 2009 after only selling 500 units: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBOT

The inventor relaunched the product in 2019 through his own company but it's still hella expensive.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I remember when they were first teasing the Segway and they said laws would have to be changed all over the world

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Chocobo posted:

You just need to put weights in cheap poo poo to give them the impression of quality.

I was thinking about this a little while ago. When I was a kid and I saw some version of a common product that was sleek and shiny, I immediately thought that it must be really well made. Today, it instantly sends up red flags and makes me wonder what the stylish presentation is meant to cover up.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

how many of that 140,000 were bought by Hollywood?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

pixaal posted:

how many of that 140,000 were bought by Hollywood?

Not enough to keep the downtown KCPD from riding around on them like a bunch of dorkasses throughout most of the 2010s. You'd think an institution so desperate to be perceived as macho as the cops wouldn't want to be seen on one, but I guess they're more lazy than they are insecure, so I guess the order goes:

1) racist
2) lazy
3) insecure

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

All this talk about AI allegedly subverting the dominant paradigm and revolutionizing technology reminds me of Segways. Remember Segways? They were allegedly going to revolutionize human transportation and were super trendy around 2015-ish and there were all these news articles about police forces training on them etc etc and then everyone lost interest and you just stopped hearing about them. It turns out they finally went out of production in 2020 and apparently they only ever sold 140,000 units. The Chinese corporation which bought the rights now manufactures e-scooters and lovely robot lawnmowers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway_Inc.

The really hosed up aspect is that this trendy overpriced yuppie gimmick was pretty much a byproduct of technology which was originally developed for self-balancing wheelchairs which proved super difficult to bring to market since they couldn't get the FDA classifications needed to get the units fully covered by Medicare & Medicaid, which meant users had to pay at least $20,000 out of pocket. Their corporate backer discontinued production in 2009 after only selling 500 units: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBOT

The inventor relaunched the product in 2019 through his own company but it's still hella expensive.

Lol. This morning I saw some dork bringing his trash can on a hoverboard. 'Bout 150 feed down his driveway

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Segways are really fun to ride. You look like an enormous dork doing it, but it’s still fun.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

Segways are really fun to ride. You look like an enormous dork doing it, but it’s still fun.

He was by far the coolest dork I have seen all week

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Gave it two very simple instructions, it managed to gently caress up both quite badly, this thing could totally replace me!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Nah that seems correct. Your fleshy meat brain must be mistaken.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

remembering how the the owner of the company that made segways killed himself by reversing his own segway off a cliff

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
A Segway tried to kill George W Bush so they’re good imo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I remember pre-release Segway hype all the way back to 2000 or so. It never quite became a thing, but god bless 'em, they tried!

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
To be fair, maybe he saw the future and decided to nope out

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

IIRC the guy who invented them had some weird grudge on the concept of 'walking' and projected it on other people. His big dream was a world where nobody would ever have to walk anywhere anymore. It was all very tragic. He needed professional help.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
buddy saw the scene where the person drives their car down the laneway to pick up mail and thought "yes, this is both cool and good ". His final quote being the goofy yodeling scream.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Was his coffin carried by six people on segways?

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

The Management posted:

A few of my neighbors have one wheels and I'm really tempted to get one

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

slandergoose posted:

A few of my neighbors have one wheels and I'm really tempted to get one

Aren't those the ones that got recalled for stopping suddenly and faceplanting the rider?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Idk if it's a recall but yeah they do that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

RabbitWizard posted:

Gave it two very simple instructions, it managed to gently caress up both quite badly, this thing could totally replace me!

LLMs are *incapable* of reasoning. They regurgitate words based on a statistical model of language. That means that they can generate the right words that one would expect in a response, but they can’t provide the actual solution unless they’ve been trained on it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

yugioh mishima posted:

remembering how the the owner of the company that made segways killed himself by reversing his own segway off a cliff

If you want to choose how to go, that is really choosing how to go. Make a mobility device, no one likes it, use it to drive yourself off a cliff. loving Hero

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

If you want to choose how to go, that is really choosing how to go. Make a mobility device, no one likes it, use it to drive yourself off a cliff. loving Hero

Just like "Mac and Me"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Insanite posted:

It’s frustrating when your computer starts and the power light comes on, but all you see is a black screen. Some reasons you might encounter a blank screen include:

- Connection or power problems
- Loose components (such as RAM)
- Faulty computer hardware
- Corrupted graphics drivers
- Incorrect BIOS configuration

In this post, we’ll go over common fixes for display problems with step-by-step instructions.

Catching up but this made me scream internally.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Management posted:

LLMs are *incapable* of reasoning. They regurgitate words based on a statistical model of language. That means that they can generate the right words that one would expect in a response, but they can’t provide the actual solution unless they’ve been trained on it.
That isn't even reasoning like half the gotcha logic puzzles people try to spring on these sludge machines. That's basic unstructured ingestion and structured regurgitation. Which if you have the right LLM should be bread and butter but will probably require some session or top layer training instead of just getting in a mass market chat bot made of the stolen internet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dokapon Findom posted:

Just like "Mac and Me"

Calm down Paul Rudd

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

yugioh mishima posted:

great moment

:roflolmao:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I skipped a bunch of pages, have we posted the 3blue1brown video on LLM math?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's an archaeologist who posts Youtube videos debunking dumb archaeology conspiracy theories. His latest video has a big section debunking a TikTok video which shows 'photos' of mysterious ruins discovered in Antarctica which the government allegedly tried to cover up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqm6McJYbWE&t=1333s
(Skip to 22:13 if the timestamp doesn't work)

He actually goes to the effort of trying to track down the source of the obviously fake AI images and finds an artist who created very similar images who knows enough about the scene to track down the actual source, which was this Nov 23 2022 video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BRUSmUsHi8

The artist he found also tracks the reposts of the images via Russian disinfo sites over time, which is how they got fed into the conspiracy theory sites and spread across the internet and ended up on TikTok videos with tens of millions of views

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Google’s AI Still Giving Idiotic Answers Nearly a Year After Launch

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Segways are honestly super cool and wouldn’t have been so laughable if the pre-release hype wasn’t so comically overblown

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/x-VhBorPLKs?si=IJN84rY7JT3iNwgt

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lmao the Rabbit R1 is the product of some NFT scammers that did nothing more impressive than release a default Unreal Engine project as their "metaverse game" before going dark and emerging as an AI company

https://www.wheresyoured.at/rabbit-holed/ if you want to read the whole thing, but really the one sentence summary is all you need

the big market for AI is selling services to scammers so they can scam the same rubes twice

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
turns out slapping a battery on two wheels has actually made a pretty big impact on local transport in metro areas but segway had the wheel alignment wrong

and also the ownership model which was probably the bigger issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well this is loving cursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPoPuQvJwTE