Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Life in the Ruins features a combat/lethality mod integrated, right?

Sort of, check out the Tips and Tricks, which describes what the goals of the list are. It's all built around the Lunar Fallout Overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dandywalken posted:

Life in the Ruins features a combat/lethality mod integrated, right?

mostly just the positional damage that I've noticed. everything seems just as bullet spongy as ever unless you've memorized everything in the commonwealth's damage type/hit location vulnerabilities.

fortunately the companions seem to have this information down and just massacre all hostiles, so I mostly just wander around looting while piper kills everything

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Is it possible to stream a modded version of FO4 from my PC to my Steam Deck? A lot of the big mod packs I've looked at seem to require you to launch the game from MO2 but I'm only familiar with launching games remotely through Steam itself. I wanted to try out Life in the Ruins but I've got a neck injury currently that prevents me from sitting at my desk for long periods.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Is it possible to stream a modded version of FO4 from my PC to my Steam Deck? A lot of the big mod packs I've looked at seem to require you to launch the game from MO2 but I'm only familiar with launching games remotely through Steam itself. I wanted to try out Life in the Ruins but I've got a neck injury currently that prevents me from sitting at my desk for long periods.

No idea how well it'd work on the steam deck, but I just tested this and it worked for me on my laptop->desktop streaming: On the desktop in steam do the "add a non steam game to the library" option, and add the modorganizer2.exe from your LitR install. Then on my laptop I was able to launch MO2/Play life in the ruins without issue, but it did take forever to launch compared to my usual parsec playing.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Azhais posted:

No idea how well it'd work on the steam deck, but I just tested this and it worked for me on my laptop->desktop streaming: On the desktop in steam do the "add a non steam game to the library" option, and add the modorganizer2.exe from your LitR install. Then on my laptop I was able to launch MO2/Play life in the ruins without issue, but it did take forever to launch compared to my usual parsec playing.

I'll give it a try thanks! Should work fine since the Steam Deck just mirrors the display on your computer in my experience.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop this hud message spam, any thoughts? I have MCM installed but it's not showing up anywhere in my game. GOG fo4, not running the next gen update

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Looks like a broken interface installation for SS2, and if MCM isn't showing up, you likely totally hosed up your game data folder and should try again with MO2

Install things to your actual game folder locations very, very sparingly and only if there's a good reason

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Chronojam posted:

Looks like a broken interface installation for SS2, and if MCM isn't showing up, you likely totally hosed up your game data folder and should try again with MO2

Install things to your actual game folder locations very, very sparingly and only if there's a good reason

Hm, well thankfully I'm only at level 6 so not a big loss if I have to nuke it and start over. Used MO2 for all downloads & installs, so I just assumed it did things correctly. Thanks!

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ok, the HUD spam was definitely a load order thing- once I cleaned that up a bit it seems to have gone away, still wrapping my head around MO2. No dice on MCM yet but I'm attaching a screenshot in the hopes that maybe something jumps out to you fine folks:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Have you just hit the sort button? LOOT will call out a few common issues with major mods

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Azhais posted:

Have you just hit the sort button? LOOT will call out a few common issues with major mods

That's indeed what I did to start. Other than the hud spam and no MCM I haven't caught any obvious failures, but I made adjustments to both the left and right panels and now just kind of unsure if I should let LOOT go for another pass

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

LitR's Wander profile has support for Steam Deck (though it doesn't include Sim Settlements 2, for performance reasons), here are the instructions for setting it up. I don't use SteamDeck, so I can't verify any of this myself, but the LitR creator does, so I certainly hope it works.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Of the 3 modern Fallout games, which one has the best and most experience-altering mods?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Almost certainly 4, especially with London coming eventually here, and I think the Fallout Miami thing is still going. Horizon and Frost are really game altering, and there are some good wabbajack lists to make it into a horror game too.

NV does have tale of two wastelands which lets you do 3+NV at the same time. Beyond that you've got Dust (which is by the same author as Frost iirc, both turn their respective games into harsh wastelands), and Nova Arizona which is in beta last I looked

e: I forgot about Fallout New California for NV as well, which is sort of a 2->NV prequel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't play New California.

Watch Josh Sawyer play ot instead.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Don't play New California.

Watch Josh Sawyer play ot instead.

I watched that live and (portions of) the chat getting more and more despondent was :discourse:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Azhais posted:

Almost certainly 4, especially with London coming eventually here, and I think the Fallout Miami thing is still going. Horizon and Frost are really game altering, and there are some good wabbajack lists to make it into a horror game too.

NV does have tale of two wastelands which lets you do 3+NV at the same time. Beyond that you've got Dust (which is by the same author as Frost iirc, both turn their respective games into harsh wastelands), and Nova Arizona which is in beta last I looked

e: I forgot about Fallout New California for NV as well, which is sort of a 2->NV prequel

Are there any good wabbajack lists for someone like me who's interested mostly in new lands/quests and new followers? Those were my favorite things when I got back into Skyrim a couple of years ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Azhais posted:

Those sound interesting!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thinking about playing this game I've had since launch and not touched for more than like 3 hours. I don't really wanna get into the weeds of modding everything but is there a good one of those ENB shaders you can slap on it and make everything a little more atmospheric?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/81859?tab=description

Someone ported the new BA2 format to the older version of Fallout 4 for those of you that don't want to update. Just tested it and the new CC content loaded fine on my non-upgraded copy.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

I confirmed the Life in Ruins new install works great. Haven't tried it on the Deck yet but was able to get it installed on my PC using Wabbajack pretty effortlessly. Good to know the new update was pretty easy to circumvent with a downgrade.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

thinking about playing this game I've had since launch and not touched for more than like 3 hours. I don't really wanna get into the weeds of modding everything but is there a good one of those ENB shaders you can slap on it and make everything a little more atmospheric?

ENB isn't very worth it for FO4 in my opinion, some nice weather mods do enough

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

I like Reactor ENB. The weather and lighting mods it recommends are good if you’d like that too, but they’re not actually required, despite what it says on the page. It only needs the F4SE, ENB helper, address library, and ENB lights overhaul mods to function.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Can achievements be unlocked with mods like with New Vegas?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15639/

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I reinstalled apparently a few days after the update. Do I need to hold out for a bit before adding a couple basic QoL mods? Really probably just like FallUI and the one that shows your whole conversation response.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Saxophone posted:

I reinstalled apparently a few days after the update. Do I need to hold out for a bit before adding a couple basic QoL mods? Really probably just like FallUI and the one that shows your whole conversation response.

If it doesn't require FSE you're probably good. If you're not sure, read the comments on the mod and there's probably info on whether it works or not.

I'm currently using FallUI and the Extended Dialogue mod and they both work great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does life in the ruins change how the minutemen quest works? I did the opening bits, Preston made me general, but no settlements seem to need my help and there hasn't been any movement on the castle stuff. I don't have any MM quests in my journal

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am playing Fallout 4 on Hard and focused on agility and VATS. Is there anything I can do to actually make the game challenging, be it mods or otherwise, or do I just have to accept that it is not going to be very difficult if I use VATS?

I mean sure I can make enemies into bullet sponges on very hard or download some mod I am sure to give them a million HP but that is not very interesting?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Just following up to say that after much, much toiling in forums and ancient reddit posts, I discovered that if you are using the gog fo4 and MO2 and MCM, you need to add -forcesteamloader to f4se launch arguments for MCM to work. Glad I finally fixed it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Diogines posted:

I am playing Fallout 4 on Hard and focused on agility and VATS. Is there anything I can do to actually make the game challenging, be it mods or otherwise, or do I just have to accept that it is not going to be very difficult if I use VATS?

I mean sure I can make enemies into bullet sponges on very hard or download some mod I am sure to give them a million HP but that is not very interesting?

vats is designed to give you the feeling of being Very Good At Video Games while not actually being Very Good At Video games, stop using vats if this is a problem for you, it's a design goal

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

vats is designed to give you the feeling of being Very Good At Video Games while not actually being Very Good At Video games, stop using vats if this is a problem for you, it's a design goal
Yeah but then how do you kill things without being swarmed and beaten down to nothing rapidly? Cheesing the AI's pathfinder is not very satisfying, just try to maximize non-VATs damage and be super tanky?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Azhais posted:

Does life in the ruins change how the minutemen quest works? I did the opening bits, Preston made me general, but no settlements seem to need my help and there hasn't been any movement on the castle stuff. I don't have any MM quests in my journal

LitR includes a mod called "Who's the General?" that's aimed at reducing Preston's quest spam. Ask him how he's doing and he'll give you a quest. Or at least that's what's supposed to happen.

That's at least what I found on the Discord. I've only yesterday completed The First Step quest, as I had the misfortune of getting assigned to clear out the raiders from Slocum Joe Corporate HQ, which meant I had to get past a Sentry Bot (thank you Robotics Disposal Site Fatman), supermutants, synths, a "seaclaw", some kind of critter called "Deeppincer" and let's not forget "The Winged Terror". Luckily the latter three were too busy fighting each other to deal with me.

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1786084788924821964

The raiders themselves seemed to be just the terrified huddled remnants of some greater party, seeing how there were only four of them and everything outside was terrible. I am now level 10.

On the return trip my character developed Alcoholism.

Needless to say I had an absolute blast

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 4, 2024

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
If I use BLD as a combat mod, what's a good set of loot scarcity and hardcore difficulty mods to accompany it? I'm reluctant to use Horizon because it's gameplay heavily relies on settlements and I'd prefer to ignore them for my next playthrough.

EDIT: It's not that I can't find any, it's just that it's not obvious which ones are going to be an appropriate match.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 4, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ThaumPenguin posted:

That's at least what I found on the Discord. I've only yesterday completed The First Step quest, as I had the misfortune of getting assigned to clear out the raiders from Slocum Joe Corporate HQ, which meant I had to get past a Sentry Bot (thank you Robotics Disposal Site Fatman), supermutants, synths, a "seaclaw", some kind of critter called "Deeppincer" and let's not forget "The Winged Terror". Luckily the latter three were too busy fighting each other to deal with me.

I had the same quest. clearly we approached from different angles because I had to kill 3 synths to get to the raiders

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Diogines posted:

Yeah but then how do you kill things without being swarmed and beaten down to nothing rapidly? Cheesing the AI's pathfinder is not very satisfying, just try to maximize non-VATs damage and be super tanky?

while you will eventually be super tanky just with levels (as will most of the enemies) use the dodge roll mod, it fixes the whole lame combat problem the vanilla game suffers from:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/70647 base mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/70757 extension, adds souls-like invincibility frames so if you dodge well you take no damage (and it looks great)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Azhais posted:

I had the same quest. clearly we approached from different angles because I had to kill 3 synths to get to the raiders

Yeah I meandered my way over from the west, went up to Dark Hollow Pond, then down southeast past the idyllic cult compound to the little trailer home in the woods near the hospital, and then past the hospital, finally arriving at Slocum Joe's. I'd easily believe it's the worst possible path you could take to get there.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Diogines posted:

You can use the controversial AI mods as an option:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/72923
and
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/72975

You can fully expect the comedy option of dialogue being interrupted for the participant to engage in full on thermonuclear war with everything in a 1/2 mile radius somewhat regularly.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Diogines posted:

Survival mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Mosnar posted:

You can use the controversial AI mods as an option:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/72923
and
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/72975

You can fully expect the comedy option of dialogue being interrupted for the participant to engage in full on thermonuclear war with everything in a 1/2 mile radius somewhat regularly.
A brief search online reveals a bunch of posts saying that this person is a psycho and that mod is a buggy mess? Better AI which could make the game challenging sounds great, but this does not sound like it will actually do that?

How do you like it? I would be extremely interested in a good AI mod.

Entorwellian posted:

Survival mode?
I have to be honest, that does not sound super appealing either, it just sounds tedious instead of making combat more difficult? The extra requirements of fast travel and eating and sleeping? If it lowers the HP of both you and enemies, I would think it would give the player a massive advantage since the AI is so dumb?