Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Gripweed posted:

That moment and the world's worst assassin's terrible failed assassination schemes were great fun. The rest of it is just lovely X-Files starring Charlie Sheen

it also has lots of great ron silver villainous acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

priznat posted:

I think I read somewhere he went to Vic High, so he probably lived not too far from me (I lived in fairfield/rockland area). A couple years older than me but I went to school way across town in Esquimalt.

What was up with the satanic panic I don’t even remember that!!

I like how I grew up in the exact same neighborhood as another random person in the rlm thread

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Baronjutter posted:

I like how I grew up in the exact same neighborhood as another random person in the rlm thread

lol I was right near rockland and st Charles and used to see Garth Mullins wandering around I think he lived in the area too.

Victoria owns I wanna move back :sigh:

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Baronjutter posted:

what if i told you i also grew up in the exact same neighborhood. what if i told you we all grew up there. wake up neo, we knew we would find you here, in the rlm thread

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
"the power of imagination brought down the towers? i guess thats kinda true" -jay "hamas supporter" baurman

"9/11 was a rem lezar job" mike "qanon bozo" stocklasa

"creating rem lezar, destroying the world trade center" -rich evans.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I watched a movie tonight and this happened in it

This is literally the only thing I remember from the movie because the knee thing grossed me out as a kid

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

FeculentWizardTits posted:

This is literally the only thing I remember from the movie because the knee thing grossed me out as a kid

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

dreezy posted:

what if i told you i also grew up in the exact same neighborhood. what if i told you we all grew up there. wake up neo, we knew we would find you here, in the rlm thread

If this were true we would need a Victoria/Farfield thread where we could talk poo poo about those fuckers in oak bay

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

priznat posted:

The bad arrival!

i have a controversial opinion in that i think they are both the bad arrival. well ok. one was regular bad and one was bland bad. id rather rewatch charlie’s arrival because at least its schlock and not barely interesting aliens/melodrama.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i have a controversial opinion in that i think they are both the bad arrival. well ok. one was regular bad and one was bland bad. id rather rewatch charlie’s arrival because at least its schlock and not barely interesting aliens/melodrama.

dude when I finally get around to watching that movie I'm gonna be so mad. you're loving toast bro

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

Gripweed posted:

I watched a movie tonight and this happened in it

been on my to-do list for a while!

also we're watching petey wheatstraw as i either sober up or decide my fallout thoughts are bad enough to deserve the drunkest possible post

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cubone posted:

dude when I finally get around to watching that movie I'm gonna be so mad. you're loving toast bro

im sorry, cubone. i didnt mean to let you or anyone else down. i…just dont like denis villeneuve as much as the filmic zeitgeist demands. its…killing me on the inside

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cubone posted:

if you learned how to speak in circles then you would already know that you watched the movie in future

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

im sorry, cubone. i didnt mean to let you or anyone else down. i…just dont like denis villeneuve as much as the filmic zeitgeist demands. its…killing me on the inside

i dont love him either, br2049 is the only film of his ive rewatched at home, but saw dune 1 twice in cinema. i enjoyed arrival, sicario, enemy, and prisoners well enough, but they didnt leave a huge impression on me or blow me away and i still havent seen dune 2. i know theres something wrong with me that gets a sick pleasure from telling people what movies i havent seen on the internet but damned if i know what to do about it. oh well. havent seen a 2024-released film yet and there really isnt anything out or on the horizon that compels me to put them ahead of my backlog

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

dreezy posted:

i dont love him either, br2049 is the only film of his ive rewatched at home, but saw dune 1 twice in cinema. i enjoyed arrival, sicario, enemy, and prisoners well enough, but they didnt leave a huge impression on me or blow me away and i still havent seen dune 2. i know theres something wrong with me that gets a sick pleasure from telling people what movies i havent seen on the internet but damned if i know what to do about it. oh well. havent seen a 2024-released film yet and there really isnt anything out or on the horizon that compels me to put them ahead of my backlog

yeah his blade runner kicks rear end, but nothing else was more than just “good” for me.

the seattle international film festival is starting next week so im gonna watch some 2024 films. already bought tickets for I Saw the TV Glow and im gonna try to convince my wife to watch harmony korines new film with me but she rightfully is not interested lol.

i mean look at this how could you not be interested in this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_LDcKwbT2w

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I think I finally figured out the ending of Enemy.

The stupid giant spider is only there so that Jon Peters could finally cum while watching it and after that, you're golden. Got financing for anything you want to do and next thing you know...Dune 2 chicks at the same time

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Baronjutter posted:

Given the choice, I'd rather grow up in the same neighborhood as a bear than another goon.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think the common criticism of villeneuve is that his films are emotionally sterile. he seems to get more muted performances than his contemporaries because he's more concerned with the big idea of the film rather than the human beings who comprise it

people made the same criticisms of stanley kubrick. and in both cases they're dead wrong.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was about to say pretty much the exact opposite about Arrival. It's ultimately pretty sentimental and it hit me pretty hard in that respect. If that's not your thing I can see it not doing much for you.

As far as Blade Runner and Dune movies being emotionally sterile, I mean... Kinda seems like he understood the assignment there

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kalel posted:

I think the common criticism of villeneuve is that his films are emotionally sterile. he seems to get more muted performances than his contemporaries because he's more concerned with the big idea of the film rather than the human beings who comprise it

people made the same criticisms of stanley kubrick. and in both cases they're dead wrong.

Stanley kubrick movies are often pretty emotionally sterile. Like it works for them and I love a lot of his films, but yeah.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i mean look at this how could you not be interested in this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_LDcKwbT2w

Easily.

The whole thing is in fake thermal cam? I think my retinas might burn out by the end of it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

PostNouveau posted:

Easily.

The whole thing is in fake thermal cam? I think my retinas might burn out by the end of it.

yeah. it will probably make me puke and will be scratching my head at the end.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Sir Lemming posted:

I was about to say pretty much the exact opposite about Arrival. It's ultimately pretty sentimental and it hit me pretty hard in that respect. If that's not your thing I can see it not doing much for you.

Yeah I can't imagine viewing Arrival and not having some feels. It delivers its premise perfectly. You even feel for the aliens. "Sterile" isn't accurate at all

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The short story Arrival is based on is a real banger too. Included in a collection of short stories, "Story of your life" by Ted Chiang.
So many other good ones too, surprised more have not been made into movies. I want to see the Golem story turned into a movie.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the true tragedy of Arrival is how the aliens can't live in the same atmosphere as humans which greatly limits the fanfic potential

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I loathe time travel and rejected the premise, so yea I felt nothing.

Actually that's not true I felt frustration at Amy Adams' character, her extremely selfish choice at the end, and at the very idea of a deterministic universe

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

sure okay posted:

I loathe time travel and rejected the premise, so yea I felt nothing.

Actually that's not true I felt frustration at Amy Adams' character, her extremely selfish choice at the end, and at the very idea of a deterministic universe

Deterministic universe made you dislike it out of spite. It's a very petty universe like that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mozi posted:

the true tragedy of Arrival is how the aliens can't live in the same atmosphere as humans which greatly limits the fanfic potential
I don't think you're giving fanfic authors enough credit (or you're giving them too much credit?)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I like the part in arrival when cobra cuts a piece of pizza with scissors

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The film adaptation was muddled and bad, so I don't blame you for coming away thinking Arrival contained time travel or made a case for determinism over free will, but neither of those things are true. Read the short story, it's like 30 pages.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Well if its really a story about how aliens can con a lesser species into believing their made up bullshit that makes for a better story. It doesn't track with how one of them got got by a bomb though.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

sure okay posted:

Well if its really a story about how aliens can con a lesser species into believing their made up bullshit that makes for a better story. It doesn't track with how one of them got got by a bomb though.

China/domestic terrorists/etc. are not in the story

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

There are dozen of us.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

sure okay posted:

as much as I hate to defend Arrival, tho, you seem awfully mad at the basic idea of a fictional conceit. sometimes the author just makes something up and the rest of the story follows on that, like the Airborne Toxic Event in White Noise or the Force in Star Wars. or a big yellow bird who can talk

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cassian of Imola posted:

as much as I hate to defend Arrival, tho, you seem awfully mad at the basic idea of a fictional conceit. sometimes the author just makes something up and the rest of the story follows on that, like the Airborne Toxic Event in White Noise or the Force in Star Wars. or a big yellow bird who can talk

Wow, a "White Noise" reference. My man!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

redshirt posted:

Wow, a "White Noise" reference. My man!

There's a lot of big Michael Keaton fans in this thread

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Arrival is a fantastic movie.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

There's a lot of big Michael Keaton fans in this thread

Not that White Noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgwKZAMx_gM

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I like the part in arrival when cobra cuts a piece of pizza with scissors

it's come to my attention that this occurred in the film "cobra" starring sylvester stallone, and not arrival as had previously been reported. we regret this error and will strive to do better in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Cassian of Imola posted:

This is very reductive of my point, but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt that its not intentional. This, despite the fact that you "hate to defend" the movie despite doing it promptly, and then calling me mad for some reason

To be perfectly clear - and I will admit to being bad at watching movies especially ones that suck so sorry if I missed something here - but Amy Adams doomed Jeremy Renner to a lifetime of misery with future knowledge that their child's life will end in tragedy, and also that she lied about it in the present and then tells him she knew all along after the deed is done. She does so because she, like the audience is expected to, accepts you so-called "fictional conceit" - The idea that the future is firm, and for the sake ourselves and the aliens we must dance this tragic dance to its exact tune.

This moment is beautiful because it encapsulates the hazards and the tragedy of time travel in a deeply human way (I call knowing the future time travel because the knowledge is what travels through time). I also hate it, because I reject the very idea that a smart, well-rounded character would wholly accept not only cementing her own suffering, but someone she's supposed to "love."

In an effort to work backwards from this so-called fictional conceit, the creators forgot to make their protagonist be likeable, reasonable, or believable. Oops!