Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

America is one of the pre-eminent hosts of the parasite but if America were destroyed by a meteor tomorrow capital would simply reconstitute itself in another country and resume running the empire the exact same way it is now.

i'm not so sure. if capital were assured of its safety regardless of what's happening in america the response to zionism's collapse wouldn't be as severe

the people in charge are trapped in the same epistemological crisis as the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mandel Brotset posted:

I think Tricontinental has the state of the art here, not sure about the larger theory (hyper imperialism) but their analysis of the western system you’re describing is excellent imo

https://thetricontinental.org/studies-on-contemporary-dilemmas-4-hyper-imperialism/

map:

model:

image is too low res for me to tell, but looks like South Korea is missing?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it’s not the American empire because the empire is operated by, for, and on behalf of capital, which has no flag and no borders. America is one of the pre-eminent hosts of the parasite but if America were destroyed by a meteor tomorrow capital would simply reconstitute itself in another country and resume running the empire the exact same way it is now. there is nothing particularly or peculiarly American about capitalist hegemony, except to burgers who literally cannot conceive of a global event that doesn't revolve around their nation.

imo the current capitalist imperial system is so warped by the integration of wall street, silicon valley and american finance capital that if the US was nuked, the formation of a new global capitalist would look very different. kind of like how the hand over of the global empire from UK to the US involved things like bretton woods, the UN, IMF, WTO, etcetc.

it'd be like a fantasy RPG where you'd have to stop an evil wizard from reconstituting a dead god.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

crepeface posted:

image is too low res for me to tell, but looks like South Korea is missing?

It and the Philippines are "Heavily US Militarized"

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
https://x.com/seamus_malek/status/1786380719452778663?s=46&t=yCsNIfDrjZN7B9B3i0jGxQ

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

neat. if their airports get shutdown they'll be in the same position they're putting palestine in

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bel Shazar posted:

It and the Philippines are "Heavily US Militarized"

atelier morgan posted:

they put south korea and the phillipines in their own category of global south because the US conquered them in a war, haven't left and have complete military control

quote:

The peoples of these two nations (Figure 30) largely align with the Global South. Both countries have had pro-US leaders, as well as independent-leaning leaders. However, these countries are – militarily – entirely controlled by the US.

Historically, both nations have been subordinated to the US through military conquest. After WWII, when the US had militarily occupied the Korean peninsula, and, later, at the end of the Korean War, the Republic of Korea retained a large US military presence. Its economic reconstruction was almost entirely funded and directed by the US. Following the Spanish-American War, the Philippines was a US colony for nearly five decades (1898–1946).

This vassalage is evident today: after the elections of Yoon Suk-yeol in the Republic of Korea and Ferdinand Marcos Jr. in the Philippines in 2022, both have served as frontline positions in containing China. In February 2023, the Philippines invited the US to expand its military presence in the country by adding four more bases to the existing five US-operated bases – 30 years after Philippine lawmakers ruled to end permanently the US military presence in the country. The Republic of Korea has also increased the military expansion of the US, participating alongside Japan ‘to inaugurate a new era of trilateral partnership’ with the US.

In addition, the General Security of Military Information Agreement between Japan and the Republic of Korea, facilitated by their closer alignment with the US, expands intelligence sharing between the two countries to include ‘threats from China and Russia’. Their military expenditures should be attributed to the US-Led Military Bloc.

thanks. i was going to object and say that japan is similarly occupied, but it does feel different. japan and germany were both late to the colonial table, but they still were still powers.

i imagine if south vietnam won it'd be part of this group too.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol have they mastered Instant Transmission

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

:stare:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

this isn't the thread for it, but I would be interested in seeing a breakdown of davos attendees by nationality. if capital is mostly concentrated in america, it'll have an american character in its expression

quote:

Some 3,000 individual participants joined the 2020 annual meeting in Davos. Countries with the most attendees include the United States (674 participants), the United Kingdom (270), Switzerland (159), Germany (137) and India (133).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Economic_Forum

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's not an American empire because it's not a human institution at all. Capitalism is more like a demon summoned by modernity than anything. It's human servants bend to it's logic even when they know it's destroying them. Why do you think so many people in power keep crying about how someone else should 'do something'? They act like power is external to them and acts of it's own will. They're human compradors in service to Hell, hoping to ascend through their sins to greater daemonhood by uploading their brain to the cloud.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Voice of Labor posted:

neat. if their airports get shutdown they'll be in the same position they're putting palestine in

1/100000th sure

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thank you ansar allah

or should i say Yemen

:smug:

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 03:30 on May 4, 2024

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

holy poo poo what

go yemen go, get their asses

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Wait that can't be true, I was assured Ansar Allah was about to find out why Americans don't have free healthcare???

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

HallelujahLee posted:

thank you ansar allah

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Complications posted:

holy poo poo what

go yemen go, get their asses

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

Wait that can't be true, I was assured Ansar Allah was about to find out why Americans don't have free healthcare???

you might not like it, but this is what guarded prosperity looks like

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

quote:

If Israel's assurances are questioned, Biden would have the option to "remediate" the situation through actions ranging from seeking fresh assurances

Galaxy brain poo poo happening at the State Department

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the houthis should give their flag to the freedom flotilla

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

VoicesCanBe posted:

Having only read through the intro, "hyper-imperialism" looks to be the term they use to describe a new development in imperialism in the 21st century, though yeah I don't think hyper is a good word here since it's clearly a new development brought about from the empire's own decline.

iirc vijay explained that he meant it like "hyperactive." so, "hyper-imperialism" is imperialism that can't maintain or expand in a steady sustained way, it erupts and implodes erratically.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

It's not an American empire because it's not a human institution at all. Capitalism is more like a demon summoned by modernity than anything. It's human servants bend to it's logic even when they know it's destroying them. Why do you think so many people in power keep crying about how someone else should 'do something'? They act like power is external to them and acts of it's own will. They're human compradors in service to Hell, hoping to ascend through their sins to greater daemonhood by uploading their brain to the cloud.

No. It's not a Lovecraftian entity, it's a system of control that the few use to control the many, one that has been very effective for the past several centuries. That's why it appealed to America, Europe, and the UK, and that's why they used it. That's it. And the only reason America is in charge is because Europe bankrupted itself during WWII, and not because the Robber Barons sacrificed the right kind of cow to the Invisible Hand. The reason why nobody has changed course is because capitalism is all the ruling class knows anymore, it's the only tool left in their belt thanks to their own incompetence and corruption, and they would rather have the world burn then step down or give away even a fraction of their power, because that's what they're like and that's what they've been like since before capitalism was a gleam in a Dutchman's eye.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Maybe asking them nicely and doing nothing else to stop the genocide for the 20th time will work, this time around.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

RC Cola posted:

1/100000th sure

the qualitative stuff of not having food or fuel will help level out that percentage pretty quick. nothing by sea, nothing by air. what are they gonna do, order pizzas from egypt?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Clip-On Fedora posted:

No. It's not a Lovecraftian entity, it's a system of control that the few use to control the many, one that has been very effective for the past several centuries. That's why it appealed to America, Europe, and the UK, and that's why they used it. That's it. And the only reason America is in charge is because Europe bankrupted itself during WWII, and not because the Robber Barons sacrificed the right kind of cow to the Invisible Hand. The reason why nobody has changed course is because capitalism is all the ruling class knows anymore, it's the only tool left in their belt thanks to their own incompetence and corruption, and they would rather have the world burn then step down or give away even a fraction of their power, because that's what they're like and that's what they've been like since before capitalism was a gleam in a Dutchman's eye.

this might be better in the marxism thread, but imo it's system that results in the few having power over the many. the few only have power if they play by the rules of the system.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

It's also comically distorted by some of the dumbest people possible failing upwards. The entire western capital management culture is effectively run by a cargo cult developed in the late 70s/early 80s who run a slash and burn playbook guaranteed to destroy the company they run. Of course over time they have learned to write themselves generous deals for being such enormous failures companies are willing to pay to be rid of them.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

crepeface posted:

this might be better in the marxism thread, but imo it's system that results in the few having power over the many. the few only have power if they play by the rules of the system.

I don't think that's a unique trait to capitalism though. Every system of government has rules, and every ruler has and has had constraints on what they could and could not do, even the ones that were considered divine. I absolutely agree that Capitalism is a system that results in the few having power over the many though.

But yeah, this has gone off track and I am happy to end this discussion here, or continue it elsewhere.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 04:54 on May 4, 2024

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

d2i

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Mandel Brotset posted:

you might not like it, but this is what guarded prosperity looks like

:rms:

thanks for all the imperialism chat, it’s very fascinating and illuminating. I have one or two of Vijay Prashad’s books but I haven’t read them yet

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there is nothing particularly or peculiarly American about capitalist hegemony, except to burgers who literally cannot conceive of a global event that doesn't revolve around their nation.

i'm a big enough man to admit that another reason I don't call it the american empire, besides it being an inaccurate and unhelpful descriptor, is that it makes burger people mad.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

so this is the war that keeps getting mentioned by israel

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Badass if they can make it happen (they prob can)

Wonder how the decayed corpse of leadership would handle it? Or seeing the protest reaction & legislation would they just immediately go like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPd3_nUnKK8

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
edit: goddamnit. taken to the marxism thread.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 07:37 on May 4, 2024

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
but doctor, this IS the Israel/Palestine thread!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

In the case of India, the forced impoverishment of 1.4 billion people and leeching of state capacity has generated a lot of ultra wealthy people.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1786658158951174483

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

I would vote for Trump if he would just promise to cut ties with Israel and destroy their airforce on the way out.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

may ansarallah stop trade to israel and force them to live on their disgusting canned tuna in lamp oil rations

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
watch for the US operation paperclipping out all the mossad agents in the end, and anyone else deemed "productive" enough which hopefully isn't many considering it's not a huge place of production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Badass if they can make it happen (they prob can)

The houthis are dreamers and achievers, they can do it.