Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it got confirmed at some point but yeah it was one of those things where they didn't credit anyone who worked on the game which happens with the YGO card art too

that's so konami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

Reyna's thing is currently bugged. The battle ends instantly when deal about 1500 damage, and she's supposed to join you at that point, but a scripting error causes the fail state to always occur on turn three, even if the battle ended in your favor. This means you actually only have two turns to do it. As such, here are my tips for getting her without having to massively outlevel her (she's good enough to be worth it, at least):

-The actual dark magic that will win you the fight is Reaper's Lullaby. If you don't get the sleep proc, don't bother doing anything else and let the fight reset, but it shouldn't take too long. Make sure you use a slow character, like Gieran, so that your other characters don't wake her up. She can't Defend when she's asleep.

-The heaviest hitters possible at that point in the game without needing to pray for a specific start-of-battle SP distribution are Yusuke, Iugo, Lam, Maureus, and Nowa using Swinging Slash (the sixth slot will be the mage that's casting Reaper's Lullaby).

-Bring Douglas, his proc actually isn't strictly necessary, but it makes it a lot easier and more consistent to pull off.

-Turn 1, have Yusuke charge (he'll do half the damage you need all by himself), have Lam transform, have Maureus use his Muscle Magic (if he doesn't start with SP, a normal attack is equally good, as long as he acts before your sleeper, otherwise have him defend; you should still be fine if your weapons are at the current upgrade limit), have Iugo attack normally, and have Nowa either attack normally (if he starts with one SP), Chain Strike (if he starts with 2 SP), or Swinging Slash (if he starts with 3 SP). Turn 2, have Maureus and Lam attack normally, have your mage cast Sacrificial Brand, have Yusuke either attack normally or use Armor-Piercing Strike (if he's got 2+ SP), have Nowa use Swinging Slash, have Iugo use Slash with whatever SP he has. It is unlikely you'll actually need all of those hits.

Okay, that's the issue. I didn't know she could be slept either. I basically have that party already, so with some luck I ought to be able to do it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Endorph posted:

the best part of the girls frontline mobile game its a spinoff of is the level where they desperately try to make a cool bike chase happen in their chibi flash game artstyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rhAHC-ZuA

That's adorable :3:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sorry still thinkin about eiyuden. to where i'm at in the story, there's been like no real stakes. no character deaths, you had a town that got burned down early on but it ended up being fine, they even pretty much say the same about another town that gets overrun (actually three towns/cities have this same plot play out). the characters emotions feel real, but because the game won't show the actual true effect of war, it just doesn't really feel like an actual war. i think that this is where the budget/kickstarter issues really come into play. not that I'm expecting an ff6 world of ruin situation, but like, if rebuilding happens it should take place after a very long process. you escape eltisweiss as it's in flames, and then an hour later you can revisit the city and it looks exactly the same as it did before the fires but with some NPCs going "i guess things are bad now. maybe? idk". the only town that's really significantly changed is werne because they HAD to change layout for a stealth mission the player undergoes. i'm sure that if they didn't have to do that, werne would look unchanged like eltisweiss.

e: the war battles, where everything has an almost figurine-and-miniature look, is kind of a representation of how the game treats war in general; very gamified, simplistic, centered around just a few actual confrontations with no other skirmishing. like a child's perspective, which is not helped by the world map being so completely barren and making it look like these countries only have 2 entire cities in them and then maybe a forest or a hill 50 miles away

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 3, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To save assets, they should've just let the town stay on fire.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
yeah, im feeling very whelmed by eiyuden, i should instead go back to finish okage shadow king or buy emerald saga

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Okage loving rules so hard

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I got Reyna with Nowa, Yusuke, Yuferius, Lam, Isha casting the darkness DoT, and Hakugin. Yuferius and Yusuke charge up first turn, Nowa breaks armor, Isha applies the DoT, Lam and Hakugin do their usual thing. Everyone was around 40ish.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Finished Eiyuden. The aesthetics and character designs are good, and I largely enjoyed the character dialogue. Unfortunately the design philosophy is mired two decades in the past and compares unfavorably to the titles it's trying to replicate. The plot isn't particularly compelling until late in the game, and the villain's motivations aren't explored until literally the last five minutes. Call it a 6 out of 10.

I don't expect I'll ever bother to replay it. I'd rather play Suikoden II again. Everything Eiyuden attempted was done better in that title.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
One huge problem with Eiyuden is the pacing of the war. In Suikoden II, you get handed Ls left and right for quite a while, sure, but about halfway through, you turn it around, and suddenly you're the ones going on the offensive. Eiyuden basically feels like that first half of Suikoden II right up until the end of the game. The turnaround point should come much earlier, because as it is, it ends up feeling kind of rushed and unsatisfying, like they had an entire second half planned for the game that they had to scrap.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You should get a refund on your faulty genius tactician.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Clarste posted:

You should get a refund on your faulty genius tactician.

That's the other thing! Melridge is alright, but he's certainly no Silverberg. Aldric keeps praising him and it's like, you outplayed him at basically every possible turn, to the point where he was straight-up defeated, no backup plans, no hidden gambits, just total defeat if not for the Shi'arcs managing a last-second rescue. Melridge, at best, was able to arrange for relatively safe retreats, which ain't exactly up to the standard established by Suikoden. Admittedly, I'm right before the stuff that leads to the big turnaround, working on getting the reward accessories for Eggfoot racing before finishing Castle Harganthia, but I get the impression that things will change less through brilliant tactics and more through various good guys among the villains changing sides.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Eiyuden: The Proving Grounds is grating on me. I like the general idea, but so many variations of the dungeon just leads to some sort of treasure, which is nice I guess, but they all have super long treks to get there and I can't tell which "loop again the long way" is progress or which is treasure which is on par or marginally better than what I already have and can buy

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Artelier posted:

Eiyuden: The Proving Grounds is grating on me. I like the general idea, but so many variations of the dungeon just leads to some sort of treasure, which is nice I guess, but they all have super long treks to get there and I can't tell which "loop again the long way" is progress or which is treasure which is on par or marginally better than what I already have and can buy

This was when I broke down and just used someone's guide online and also the shards of return or whatever instead of constant backtracking, game was trying to be too clever by half for very little payoff

I still like it a whole lot though, but my two main wishes are that fast travel unlocked way earlier, and that save points had a healing option, it doesn't even have to be free, just let me top off in one easy go

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

aggghh why did they botch the athabralt battle so much. the kenani betrayal would've been far more effective a story twist if it just happened in the battle itself rather than through a cutscene where the kenani king just gives his whole motivation immediately. the story seems more interested in the concept of pieces moving on the chessboard rather than the actual moving of the pieces. like reading a summary of a war on wikipedia rather than seeing it firsthand

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

aggghh why did they botch the athabralt battle so much. the kenani betrayal would've been far more effective a story twist if it just happened in the battle itself rather than through a cutscene where the kenani king just gives his whole motivation immediately. the story seems more interested in the concept of pieces moving on the chessboard rather than the actual moving of the pieces. like reading a summary of a war on wikipedia rather than seeing it firsthand

It really feels like the game was intended to be a lot longer than it is. Like, I get the feeling that Athrabalt was originally planned as the halfway point, because, in terms of Suikoden story structure, that's where it would fit. That would have also provided more time for people to show their motivations organically rather than just expositing them right before they do the thing, after having appeared in all of one scene prior to that. It also feels like there was meant to be a lot more to Marisa's story, and that even Markus was probably meant to get a little more time for his character arc to happen rather than suddenly going from "join my zombie army" to "nobody should be forced to be undead" in the span of one dungeon.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I'm guessing (Eiyuden near-endgame) I can't save Perrielle because I still need to recruit the Griffin but Marisa has hosed off to the undead castle. I even kept a save right before the battle but of course it didn't matter because I failed to talk to the exactly right featureless NPC in a poorly hinted at town. gently caress I don't even want to continue playing now.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 4, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

So I'm guessing (Eiyuden near-endgame) I can't save Perrielle because I still need to recruit the Griffin but Marisa has hosed off to the undead castle. I even kept a save right before the battle but of course it didn't matter because I failed to talk to the exactly right featureless NPC in a poorly hinted town. gently caress I don't even want to continue playing now.

Correct.

Its real fucken dumb that the two worst telegraphed quests in the entire game are the two time sensitive permanently missable ones.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

loving terrific...goddamn game.
Now I don't even know what to do with myself I'm so pissed.

On top of that: I thought the city of raised roofs was loving Athrabalt because it's the city where the roofs are so high you can't see them. And since there are a bunch of zombies in town I thought I had to beat the undead castle before recruiting the stupid loving Griffin.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 4, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think my conclusion is that ff7:rebirth is like xenoblade 2 where if your game has incredibly cool 3d towns i can gently caress around in while listening to incredibly good music, i will basically stick with it forever

This is probably one of the very few specific things Xenoblade 3 is worse than 2 about - it completely lacks 2's really cool cities/towns. There are plot reasons for it, but it's still kind of a shame.

My opinion of those games is kind of strange, in that I'd say Xenoblade 3 beats out 2 in almost any specific way you could think of (except the aforementioned cities/towns), but I still like 2 more. There's just something about its "vibes" (primarily music, but a combination of music and environments) that made it more impactful for me. Each area and city just has such a strong "vibe" to it, while I can't really say the same for most of Xenoblade 3 areas. I also think 2 has some phenomenal motifs in its soundtrack (3's combat music is way better, though, but that's less important to me).

This reminds me - I need to try emulating 2 at some point. It'd be neat to play it with much better framerate and resolution than the Switch can pull off. Maybe there's some way to cheat myself the couple blades I never managed to get.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

It also shows he only used the faster characters or was significantly overleveling, because a bunch of characters, even good ones, get outsped by fairly average enemies, even on normal. Maureus, Gieran, Reyna, Garoo, Francesca, etc. And some enemies are fast enough to go before any but the fastest characters.

Eiyuden is a very charming minigame collection with a decent, but not great, JRPG wrapped around it. Good for anyone who wishes Konami still made Suikoden, but if you haven't already played those games, you may as well go do that before picking this one up. I give Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes a 3 (insert fifth repetition of a "Mighty Dux"="Mighty Ducks" running gag) out of 5.

god i hope someone remembers x-play well enough for that reference to land

i heard it in adam sesslers voice so mission accomplished

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ytlaya posted:

This is probably one of the very few specific things Xenoblade 3 is worse than 2 about - it completely lacks 2's really cool cities/towns. There are plot reasons for it, but it's still kind of a shame.

My opinion of those games is kind of strange, in that I'd say Xenoblade 3 beats out 2 in almost any specific way you could think of (except the aforementioned cities/towns), but I still like 2 more. There's just something about its "vibes" (primarily music, but a combination of music and environments) that made it more impactful for me. Each area and city just has such a strong "vibe" to it, while I can't really say the same for most of Xenoblade 3 areas. I also think 2 has some phenomenal motifs in its soundtrack (3's combat music is way better, though, but that's less important to me).

This reminds me - I need to try emulating 2 at some point. It'd be neat to play it with much better framerate and resolution than the Switch can pull off. Maybe there's some way to cheat myself the couple blades I never managed to get.

yeah that's exactly why i liked xc2 more than xc3, even if 3 has a lot of stuff i love (like all the heroes getting more involved quests than the blades did, and the main cast dynamics generally)

i get that it is lore accurate but i just want towns man

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
relayer is not like, particularly good but i kind of appreciate its roughness and the attack animations are actually pretty good

https://files.catbox.moe/f4go7s.mp4

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

babypolis posted:

i heard it in adam sesslers voice so mission accomplished

Thank you.

Also, holy poo poo, Eiyuden Chronicles goes hard in places it absolutely does not need to. If you thought the beigoma sidequest having a goddamn postgame was nuts, apparently if you collect several copies of a single card, it gets a rainbow background (the secret reward cards automatically come with it, since you can only get one copy of those). It's neat, but absolutely more effort than was required for poor man's Triple Triad.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

EclecticTastes posted:

Thank you.

Also, holy poo poo, Eiyuden Chronicles goes hard in places it absolutely does not need to. If you thought the beigoma sidequest having a goddamn postgame was nuts, apparently if you collect several copies of a single card, it gets a rainbow background (the secret reward cards automatically come with it, since you can only get one copy of those). It's neat, but absolutely more effort than was required for poor man's Triple Triad.

For another example go stage some plays and see how many characters give unique performances. Garr does not take the role of Juliet seriously.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

For another example go stage some plays and see how many characters give unique performances. Garr does not take the role of Juliet seriously.

The plays are insane because they are gated beyond a completely unhinted how to recruit npc, a line of more items with equally irritating requirements two of which are past the point of no return with missable characters, and themselves give unique rewards for S ranking.

I would not be surprised if a lot of characters had 25% or more of all their spoken lines be their play parts

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Are the rest of the Yakuza games after 0 still minigame heavy? Or at least not bowling/baseball/lovely dancing heavy?

The completionist in me want to go through the games but man, these minigames are not good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s a lot of minigames/side stories in like every Like A Dragon game, but that said, you’re often not really “meant” to engage with a lot of the minigames more than you want to, which is why they usually put in so many. 0’s just kind of a weird exception as far as gating important/useful stuff behind bowling/baseball/disco and the like, it comes up occasionally, and the more involved Side Stories like Pocket Car Fighter often have wholeass substory chains behind them, but not as much with the minigames going forward.

Also if it makes you feel better bowling doesn’t exist in the newer Dragon Engine games.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

The plays are insane because they are gated beyond a completely unhinted how to recruit npc, a line of more items with equally irritating requirements two of which are past the point of no return with missable characters, and themselves give unique rewards for S ranking.

You can buy Forest Musicians the first time you visit Yarnaan, actually (it may take a bit, and you may need to wait out the 30-minute timer if the Crown of Guile pops first). It's only the Rising script that requires you to be in the endgame.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Are the rest of the Yakuza games after 0 still minigame heavy? Or at least not bowling/baseball/lovely dancing heavy?

The completionist in me want to go through the games but man, these minigames are not good

if there's a completionist in you then the yakuza series is probably not for you. there's usually absolutely no point to finishing the completion list in yakuza games, but it is there and trying to finish it will kill your soul.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Started Forspoken. At first I was like, please, get to the Fireworks factory I just want to be Isekaid I don't care and then the Cuff started talking and I regret my words and deeds.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Barudak posted:

Started Forspoken. At first I was like, please, get to the Fireworks factory I just want to be Isekaid I don't care and then the Cuff started talking and I regret my words and deeds.

lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Barudak posted:

now thats what i call a sticky situation

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, so apparently one of the major endgame sequences in Eiyuden is bugged so badly that the scripts just break, and there's not a drat thing you can do about it, especially if you make the mistake of saving at any point during that sequence. So that's about two hours of assorted bullshit around the castle just wiped out, since that's how far back my last autosave is, since it only ever loving autosaves when you leave the world map.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am willing to ignore so much in writing in a game and how are you stooping under this bar Forspoken.

Conversely, the settings for this game are crazy detailed and the thing has a 480p mode and yes Im using it because longer battery life at 60fps > screen resolutions from this century

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, so apparently one of the major endgame sequences in Eiyuden is bugged so badly that the scripts just break, and there's not a drat thing you can do about it, especially if you make the mistake of saving at any point during that sequence. So that's about two hours of assorted bullshit around the castle just wiped out, since that's how far back my last autosave is, since it only ever loving autosaves when you leave the world map.

Ah did you exit the final dungeon after confronting a boss but not continuing on into the extremely telegraphed final boss that follows?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 4, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Honest Thief posted:

yeah, im feeling very whelmed by eiyuden, i should instead go back to finish okage shadow king or buy emerald saga

Is Okage Shadow King any good? Been meaning to check it out

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

I am so easy to please for baseline writing in a game and how are you stooping under this bar Forspoken.

Conversely, the settings for this game ate crazy detailed and the thing has a 480p mode and yes Im using it because longer battery life > tv resolutions from this century

Ah did you exit the final dungeon after confronting a boss but not continuing on into the extremely telegraphed final boss that follows?

No, but that's a good tip for later. I encountered a seemingly more common issue where the castle scenes the night before battle just break if you don't do them in exactly the right sequence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

No, but that's a good tip for later. I encountered a seemingly more common issue where the castle scenes the night before battle just break if you don't do them in exactly the right sequence.

Wow thats, uh, dogshit. Extremely thankful I did not have that bug

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

the writing is good. the aesthetics are good. the gameplay is very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it's real bad. It is extremely charming right up until you get into a fight and then the wheels fall completely off.