Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mutata posted:

What's your IPD? 37? 89?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNrjqM-DZaE

I own it and still have to play it beyond the tutorial...

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNrjqM-DZaE

I own it and still have to play it beyond the tutorial...

I just wish they'd add a story mode

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
DoE is an utter blast with friends and some of the most fun Ive ever had in VR but they definitely need more mission types or some kind of endless dungeon mode.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I wish you could actually do dungeon crawling rather than just fight enemy waves at the door of every new room.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Are there any decent modern VR headsets out there that aren't tied to Facebook/Meta?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

wash bucket posted:

Are there any decent modern VR headsets out there that aren't tied to Facebook/Meta?

Depends on how you define decent, the Quest 3 has the best price/performance ratio out of all of them.

If you're good with networking you could keep it connected to your PC over a dedicated WiFi connection and rely on Steam Link, you'll still need a Meta account to set it up but if you're not using their services and barely give them any information, you're not exactly helping Meta out given they apparently sell the headset at a loss.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I only plug my headset in every now and then, but when I got pulled for the hardware survey this month, it didn't have me down as having vr. I don't know if you'd have to have used it in the last month or something, it just could mean there are a lot of owners out there that aren't being counted.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SCheeseman posted:

Depends on how you define decent, the Quest 3 has the best price/performance ratio out of all of them.

If you're good with networking you could keep it connected to your PC over a dedicated WiFi connection and rely on Steam Link, you'll still need a Meta account to set it up but if you're not using their services and barely give them any information, you're not exactly helping Meta out given they apparently sell the headset at a loss.

That's a lot of words to say no :p

An alternative if they're not in the US would be Pico4

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Thoatse posted:

An alternative if they're not in the US would be Pico4

Yeah, but then you're just switching Meta for Bytedance.

Bigscreen Beyond or PiMax are modern PCVR options. Neither are wireless(yet), and will run yoy a lot more than a Quesr.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thoatse posted:

Everything else is either worse, a significant compromise and much more expensive. Bigscreen Beyond is the most interesting because it's so small, but it costs you sharability (it's custom fit to your face), camera passthrough and FOV. Pimax headsets are silly, massive face bricks that give you a massive FOV at the cost of absolutely everything else. Index is obsolete.

I don't like Meta either, but if you're not engaging with their platform, you're not earning them any money.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Everything else is either worse, a significant compromise and much more expensive. Bigscreen Beyond is the most interesting because it's so small, but it costs you sharability (it's custom fit to your face), camera passthrough and FOV. Pimax headsets are silly, massive face bricks that give you a massive FOV at the cost of absolutely everything else. Index is obsolete.

I don't like Meta either, but if you're not engaging with their platform, you're not earning them any money.

Bigscreen Beyond Owner here and it's real good if you don't care about shareability. I went from Index to this thing and I haven't noticed anything but positives.

edit: Thinking about it, the two big down sides are figuring out an audio solution that works for you and the driver can be a little finnicky when trying to wake it from sleep mode to leash to SteamVR

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 4, 2024

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wash bucket posted:

Apple Vision Pro. Varjo XR-4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CatHorse posted:

Apple Vision Pro. Varjo XR-4.

You did technically answer his question, however, both are terrible options, namely because of the price tag for both. :P

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also if you are into VR for gaming then the vision pro is very much not what you want given the lack of proper controllers, even if you can afford it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
And xr4 is the size of a head crab

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

wash bucket posted:

not to be a Zucker, but Meta haven't yet done anything suspicious with their headsets, they've been pretty well behaved. They aren't linked to facebook accounts any more

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

Index is only "obsolete" if you're looking at bleeding-edge optics by comparison, it's still a great headset all round.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Index is only "obsolete" if you're looking at bleeding-edge optics by comparison, it's still a great headset all round.
Optics and panel resolution, which are kinda significant parts of a VR headset. The Quest 2 has more pixels per degree (though with a few drawbacks that make it less effective) and it's a quarter the price.

I wouldn't recommend people buy it, as nice as the rest of the package is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean, at the price it is, I would hope for a bleeding-edge device in all area! The full package is still 1080€, after all these years...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It’s also EOL and out of production. Kinda important to consider when you will need replacement parts eventually

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
There's also the fact it still uses external tracking, doesn't it?

I never want to set up lighthouse trackers and all that associated cabling and power points ever again.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Isometric Bacon posted:

There's also the fact it still uses external tracking, doesn't it?

I never want to set up lighthouse trackers and all that associated cabling and power points ever again.

Yeah, as good as tracking with 4 base stations was, I never ever want to have to do that again. Doesn't help that every once and a while one just wouldn't get the signal to turn on, and IIRC I had to completely exit VR to try again.

The Quest 3 + Pro Controllers are just tits for shooters/slashers and I can't go back.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jesus christ no.

Never recommend a loving index in 2024, what the hell? Its obsolete as gently caress.

SCheeseman posted:

Optics and panel resolution, which are kinda significant parts of a VR headset. The Quest 2 has more pixels per degree (though with a few drawbacks that make it less effective) and it's a quarter the price.

I wouldn't recommend people buy it, as nice as the rest of the package is.

This right here. Like, if I could actually wear the quest 2 for more than a few min id use it more than any other headset in my home.

Index is certified trash at new prices. Get a full kit for like 600 bucks? Awesome. Otherwise, nope.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

God I wish I could play Pavlov with some adults. It just feels wrong shooting some child sized avatars.

Oh and their shrieking voices.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Beastie posted:

God I wish I could play Pavlov with some adults. It just feels wrong shooting some child sized avatars.

Oh and their shrieking voices.

Play Contractors instead. Generally much better community (and gameplay imo).

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Bondematt posted:

Yeah, as good as tracking with 4 base stations was, I never ever want to have to do that again.

I never really noticed an appreciable difference better tracking from the stations versus my Gen 1 Quest , but I just hated the vive wands so much I avoided it for the most part unless I was doing things for work.

I recently got a PSVR2 however, and i'm definitely noticing it's not as good with tracking. It completely disappears if you have one controller blocking the other, for instance. I think Meta just has a better grasp on prediction if it loses tracking.

I'm enjoying my time with the PSVR2, but I got so used to wireless it's hard to go back to tripping over the cable all the time.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Isometric Bacon posted:

I never really noticed an appreciable difference better tracking from the stations versus my Gen 1 Quest , but I just hated the vive wands so much I avoided it for the most part unless I was doing things for work.

I recently got a PSVR2 however, and i'm definitely noticing it's not as good with tracking. It completely disappears if you have one controller blocking the other, for instance. I think Meta just has a better grasp on prediction if it loses tracking.

I'm enjoying my time with the PSVR2, but I got so used to wireless it's hard to go back to tripping over the cable all the time.

Talking about tracking on Q2, on Raft VR I find I have to physically lean back and throw with my arm behind my head and then the speed at which I let go of the trigger near the extent of my forearm is require to get a throw further than dropping it in the ocean. At least I thought it was the tracking, could be the game engine and mod compatibility, though it is the guy who made the Risk of Ruin VR patch that works well.

Found out after buying that you can only play multi Raft with people on your friends list, seems odd they would not allow public matchmaking but ehhh what ya gonna do. Steam ID is desdinova476 if anyone is up for a few games of either, Against the Fall was better than I expected too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat Saber is now ~~*Crossbuy*~~
https://www.meta.com/es-es/experiences/pcvr/beat-saber/1304877726278670/

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

That took forever, but I guess now I get it for free if I buy a quest?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Is there any reason to play it over link instead of on the Quest 3 natively? Maybe it'll be easier to mod? I've been meaning to do that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nice Van My Man posted:

Is there any reason to play it over link instead of on the Quest 3 natively? Maybe it'll be easier to mod? I've been meaning to do that.

I don't think that's a game you'd want to add any amount of latency to. But yeah I guess if you want weeb songs and Darth Maul sabers then have at it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nice Van My Man posted:

Easier modding.
Easier custom songs n poo poo.

If you're happy with OST and paying for stuff, native plays better latency wise.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Playing Beat Saber on the Quest 3 standalone is like playing Skyrim on a PS4. Or soemthing along those lines. Just play it on the PC

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
The idea of playing Beat Saber over link is completely alien to me. The latency ruins it so thoroughly. If you don't have a PC-native headset, Quest native is the only way to go. Most mods (and every song I've tried) work on the Quest version, you're only missing out on some really niche stuff.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Thoom posted:

The idea of playing Beat Saber over link is completely alien to me. The latency ruins it so thoroughly. If you don't have a PC-native headset, Quest native is the only way to go. Most mods (and every song I've tried) work on the Quest version, you're only missing out on some really niche stuff.

Noodle Extensions?
Easy Offset?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Don't know about Easy Offset, but there is a version of Noodle Extensions for Quest.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/developer-post/476241494784470/

I eagerly await to be thoroughly beaten by everybody in the game!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Thoom posted:

If you use an actual cable, the latency is basically non-existent. Pretty much every top player who plays with a Quest 2 or Quest 3 plays this way, as far as I know, with the occasional standalone player.

I think my Skyrim on PS4 vs Skyrim on PC comparison is pretty accurate; you can get SOME mods on standalone, but you are missing the vast majority of them. Stuff like noodle extensions doesn't even work properly a lot of the time. Try playing this map for example in standalone and see if it even runs: https://beatsaver.com/maps/3bbb0, then play it in PCVR or look up a video of what it is supposed to look like. I wouldn't work at all for me before, but maybe it has been fixed since.

Apparently it isn't as easy as simply converting mods over, they need to be completely rebuilt from scratch (someone might be able to clarify or correct me here if I am wrong), so most mod creators don't bother with standalone since it is more problematic to deal with, and generally everyone uses PCVR anyways.

I agree that it is way more convenient. I'm sure when the Quest 5 or 6 comes out, it will be powerful enough to offer the perfect Beat Saber experience, and everyone who still plays the game will no longer have skeletons at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

BabyRyoga posted:

If you use an actual cable, the latency is basically non-existent. Pretty much every top player who plays with a Quest 2 or Quest 3 plays this way, as far as I know, with the occasional standalone player.

I believe you (since I'm not going to buy a cable to check), but that's baffling to me. The bulk of the added latency from using VD/AirLink is from encoding/decoding (15-20ms combined), which should be the same on wired link. Network transmission is usually only 5-6ms.

I guess I haven't run into many of the maps that require specific PC-exclusive stuff because I'm still stuck at Expert and the bulk of the community is at E+ or higher.