Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

My god... earplugs?!! :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

tagesschau posted:

Columbia has need-based financial aid for undergraduates, which means the only people paying full price are massive outliers income-wise. Even then, a Columbia student whose parents are loaded enough that they get no financial aid at all is getting more in goods and services than they pay for.

This is not true, by the way. Colleges profile the parents of an applicant as the primary metric to decide what level of both need and merit based aide they will offer. That is, need and merit based aide levels are determined not by a student's actual need/merit, but by how much they think the parents are willing to pay.

In practice this means often times children of poorer parents end up paying more, as those parents will take out massive loans to afford their kid the opportunity to attend a "good school."

https://slate.com/business/2022/07/college-financial-aid-sham.html

pthighs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 4, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pthighs posted:

This is not true, by the way. Colleges profile the parents of an applicant as the primary metric to decide what level of both need and merit based aide they will offer. That is, need and merit based aide levels are determined not by a student's actual need/merit, but by how much they think the parents are willing to pay.

In practice this means often times children of poorer parents end up paying more, as those parents will take out massive loans to afford their kid the opportunity to attend a "good school."

https://slate.com/business/2022/07/college-financial-aid-sham.html

The article you linked says specifically that this doesn't apply to Ivy League schools and other wealthy elite institutions. It also says that the entire point of all these algorithms is that basically nobody is paying full price.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

Personally I think that recreating the '68 convention is not a winning path for the Dems but sure

We seem to be testing the hypothesis that LBJ could've won if he'd stayed in 1968.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bodyholes posted:

We seem to be testing the hypothesis that LBJ could've won if he'd stayed in 1968.

Comparing LBJ’s conduct of the Vietnam War to Biden supporting Israel is a terrible analogy on a number of levels.

The U.S. was a combatant in that war. U.S. policy resulted in the people protesting on campuses to be subject to the draft and dying in that war. There is no comparison to the weight of the electoral consequences of Vietnam on LBJ to Gaza on Biden. 68 would have been a clear loss for LBJ, directly caused by his decisions on Vietnam. It’s true that in a close election losing some young voter turnout could contribute to Biden losing. But otherwise the situations are not comparable.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Comparing LBJ’s conduct of the Vietnam War to Biden supporting Israel is a terrible analogy on a number of levels.

The U.S. was a combatant in that war. U.S. policy resulted in the people protesting on campuses to be subject to the draft and dying in that war. There is no comparison to the weight of the electoral consequences of Vietnam on LBJ to Gaza on Biden. 68 would have been a clear loss for LBJ, directly caused by his decisions on Vietnam. It’s true that in a close election losing some young voter turnout could contribute to Biden losing. But otherwise the situations are not comparable.

The young voters protesting Biden's policy regarding Gaza were not around for the greater magnitude of things the US has done in the past so this takes the same level of importance in their lives proportionately. It's relative. I'm not actually convinced LBJ would've lost had he stayed in, and I disagree with all other facets of your analysis as well. What election do you think this represents most, if not 1968?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bodyholes posted:

The young voters protesting Biden's policy regarding Gaza were not around for the greater magnitude of things the US has done in the past so this takes the same level of importance in their lives proportionately. It's relative. I'm not actually convinced LBJ would've lost had he stayed in, and I disagree with all other facets of your analysis as well. What election do you think this represents most, if not 1968?

The fact that young people in the U.S. were subject to being drafted and killed in Vietnam means that there is no way the situation in Gaza is remotely comparable. Also I don’t think there is an analogous election. I don’t think any of these three Trump elections fit particularly closely to pre Trump elections.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Zwabu posted:

I don’t think any of these three Trump elections fit particularly closely to pre Trump elections.

Somehow I never quite thought of it that way. Trump will have been the nominee for president three times now. :psyduck:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Fuschia tude posted:

Somehow I never quite thought of it that way. Trump will have been the nominee for president three times now. :psyduck:

The William Jennings Bryan of our time!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The William Jennings Bryan of our time!

He's already more successful than WJB, if less coherent

Also we can only hope Trump ends the same way, stroked out in a courtroom (yea I know he didn't actually have the stroke/heart attack during the Scopes trial, but Inherit the Wind is too good to pass up)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Let's just hope he doesn't become the Grover Cleveland of our times

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bodyholes posted:

It's not about relative badness, it's about the actual impact on their lives. The student protesters in 1968 were subject to the draft and therefore had a pretty good chance of being shipped to Vietnam themselves once they graduated. Vietnam wasn't just some bad thing that was happening halfway around the globe. Millions of Americans were sent, often against their will, to go experience Vietnam for themselves, personally - with plenty of them coming back maimed or traumatized. And as soon as the student protesters graduated, they'd be eligible to potentially be sent there next.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not about relative badness, it's about the actual impact on their lives. The student protesters in 1968 were subject to the draft and therefore had a pretty good chance of being shipped to Vietnam themselves once they graduated. Vietnam wasn't just some bad thing that was happening halfway around the globe. Millions of Americans were sent, often against their will, to go experience Vietnam for themselves, personally - with plenty of them coming back maimed or traumatized. And as soon as the student protesters graduated, they'd be eligible to potentially be sent there next.

Let's also not forget the impact of the deaths were being felt at home, especially in communities of color when people weren't coming back. It was tangible and more deeply woven into the United States in a way that Gaza isn't.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ole Miss, long a bastion of racial civility, showed its ugly rear end again with about 200 counter protesters showing up to about 30 pro-palestine protesters.

Wearing American flag clothes, waving trump flags, flipping people off and being as offensive as you'd expect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6e9SvduJat/?igsh=MXhhc3l3Y285azY2cw==

Also apparently they were exhibiting some, shockingly I know, racist behavior that the University is now investigating.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/04/us/mississippi-campus-protest-gaza-black-student/index.html

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BonoMan posted:

Ole Miss, long a bastion of racial civility, showed its ugly rear end again with about 200 counter protesters showing up to about 30 pro-palestine protesters.

Wearing American flag clothes, waving trump flags, flipping people off and being as offensive as you'd expect.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6e9SvduJat/?igsh=MXhhc3l3Y285azY2cw==

Also apparently they were exhibiting some, shockingly I know, racist behavior that the University is now investigating.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/04/us/mississippi-campus-protest-gaza-black-student/index.html

these are the people Biden is siding with against peace activists

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Maga bad
Biden maga
Stay home let trump win

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

No, he's not particularly siding against peace activists, and he's really not siding with counterprotest dickheads. His Thursday blurb was a limp "free speech good, vandalism bad, violence bad, blah blah" that's hard for anyone without a strong preexisting sentiment to get revved up about.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Goatse James Bond posted:

No, he's not particularly siding against peace activists

Yes he is. He is providing Israel with bombs and other military aid to genocide Palestinians, so by definition he is siding against peace activists and with the pro-Israel counterprotesters.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

No, he's not particularly siding against peace activists, and he's really not siding with counterprotest dickheads. His Thursday blurb was a limp "free speech good, vandalism bad, violence bad, blah blah" that's hard for anyone without a strong preexisting sentiment to get revved up about.

They're partially protesting against him because he's supporting Israel, so he is siding against them.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

Yes he is. He is providing Israel with bombs and other military aid to genocide Palestinians, so by definition he is siding against peace activists and with the pro-Israel counterprotesters.

If you think the maga hat racist crowd is there to support Israel and not to trigger libs and celebrate bombing brown people then I dont know what to tell you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Dietrich posted:

If you think the maga hat racist crowd is there to support Israel and not to trigger libs and celebrate bombing brown people then I dont know what to tell you.

Biden and Trump are both bad on multiple issues including issues that have their own threads (hint).

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

neutrality helps teh oppressor, never the victim. silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dietrich posted:

They are there to support Israel bombing brown people, yes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Dietrich posted:

Supporting Israel and celebrating bombing brown people are literally the same thing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Not to dog pile but "peaceful protest is fine but violence and vandalism or not" is absolutely siding against the demonstrators. The vast majority of these protests have been peaceful so painting them all as some pseudo insurrection plays right into the hands of the fascists and Biden knows it. It's the same language that was used to discredit the Black lives matter and occupy Wall Street movements.

Also, failure to publicly criticize the massive police overreaction is itself also siding against the protesters. These pieces of poo poo put snipers on roofs. Not even mentioning that is the same as advocating for it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

It’s quite obvious that in this issue, Biden, Trump, and the MAGA crowd are on the same side

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

theCalamity posted:

It’s quite obvious that in this issue, Biden, Trump, and the MAGA crowd are on the same side

This, with the minor detail differences of one supports Israel but wishes they would do a little less obvious of a genocide, and one supports Israel but thinks they aren't genociding hard enough.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Tatsuta Age posted:

This, with the minor detail differences of one supports Israel but wishes they would do a little less obvious of a genocide, and one supports Israel but thinks they aren't genociding hard enough.

It's also important to note that these minor detail differences don't seem to make any actual difference when it comes to policy or material support for the genocidal state. They have a difference in what they view as acceptable optics, but that's it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

If you're sending Lend-Lease to the Reich, it doesn't matter if you shake your finger at them before, during and after.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's also important to note that these minor detail differences don't seem to make any actual difference when it comes to policy or material support for the genocidal state. They have a difference in what they view as acceptable optics, but that's it.

Of course they do - Trump literally assassinated an Iranian general, which was cited by Iran as part of the motivation for the attack (which was denied by Hamas, but it's really hard to imagine that the attack wasn't made without their material support in some fashion, especially considering how clearly it let to direct confrontations with Israel by them later). You also probably wouldn't be surprised to find out that the biggest shithead in Israel, Netanyahu, openly supported Trump for president

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao Kristi Noem said the first thing she’d do in the White House is introduce Joe Biden’s dog commander to Cricket, the dog she murdered.

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1787132619504640450?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This whole interview is wild. She says claiming she met Kim jong Un was a typo by someone else.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Lemming posted:

You also probably wouldn't be surprised to find out that the biggest shithead in Israel, Netanyahu, openly supported Trump for president

And yet Biden has been bending over backwards to support Netanyahu

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

theCalamity posted:

And yet Biden has been bending over backwards to support Netanyahu

Absolutely - Biden loving sucks. None of this is to discount or excuse any of his actions - but Trump did concrete things that were worse and has been explicit about things he wants to do that are even worse. Trying to rhetorically emphasize how bad Biden is by making an equivalence to Trump is stupid because it makes anyone doing it look like they just learned who Trump was today

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Lemming posted:

Absolutely - Biden loving sucks. None of this is to discount or excuse any of his actions - but Trump did concrete things that were worse and has been explicit about things he wants to do that are even worse. Trying to rhetorically emphasize how bad Biden is by making an equivalence to Trump is stupid because it makes anyone doing it look like they just learned who Trump was today

Did Trump do something worse than provide material and political support to the genocide in Gaza?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Lemming posted:

It’s not stupid to show how bad Biden is by saying that he and Trump are on the same side on this issue. Do you believe that they are not on the same side of this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Lmao Kristi Noem said the first thing she’d do in the White House is introduce Joe Biden’s dog commander to Cricket, the dog she murdered.

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1787132619504640450?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This whole interview is wild. She says claiming she met Kim jong Un was a typo by someone else.

can this woman’s thirst for dog death ever be slaked

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

can this woman’s thirst for dog death ever be slaked

See, everyone thinks she's running for VP. Really, she's running for dog catcher.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I think this is well past doubling down and even tripling down. I think this is the rare quadruple down.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Kith posted:

I think this is well past doubling down and even tripling down. I think this is the rare quadruple down.

Quadruple dog dare? Heavens

I've been loving the puns in the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
has dog catcher ever actually been an elected thing?