Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Siralim is good. Someone billed it to me as "like Dragon Warrior Monsters", and its really not much like that, but it is very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my silly backer monster is in there somewhere, Disco Inferno. I think it's a Monster Skin for Elf.

tribute to the Harry DuBois, Larry Laffer, Jimmy T. class of video game character and the D&D Fire Elemental

I was hands off, it was painless. just sent some jpegs and told him to tell the art person to have fun. it looks like the supporter store is back open if you want to give The Siralim Guy a little $$$.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
Picked up that bundle so I've got an extra copy of Siralim (loved it) and Going Under if anyone wants them.

Delpino fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 4, 2024

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Delpino posted:

Picked up that bundle so I've got an extra copy of Siralim (loved it) and Going Under if anyone wants them.

Sending a PM

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My Persona 3 Reload issue from last night is over. It works fine now.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol, I bought Unreal Tournament 2004 on Steam years ago.

It installs flawlessly and runs very well. The controls are very responsive. The trackpad works perfectly when selecting maps in the UI.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

tango alpha delta posted:

It installs flawlessly and runs very well. The controls are very responsive. The trackpad works perfectly when selecting maps in the UI.

And you can play it online if you edit UT2004.ini:
MasterServerList=(Address="utmaster.openspy.net",Port=28902)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this is a long shot but does anyone know if it's possible to get mudfish to run in game mode?

i've installed ffxiv on the steam deck and it's downright cozy but unfortunately i have isp issues and ffxiv will error out with a 90002 (disconnected from server) at frequent intervals. i've fixed this on my desktop by running mudfish but as far as i can tell mudfish on steam deck works but only in desktop mode

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So.. my picky-ness got the better of me and I returned my Steam Deck after having it for a weekend. :negative: Lovely device but the left trackpad's haptics were kinda hosed and while I did try and put up with it, it put me off using it. I loved the Steam Controller so turning off the haptics was a no-go for me. I looked around and it seems like others have experienced the same problem and while you could open it up and gently caress with the track pads, I am not about to do that on a brand new device I paid 680 for.

A friend of mine bought the standard OLED model just after me and says he has no such problems so I am wondering if I can be arsed rolling the die on the QC lottery again when my refund comes through. Since I really did enjoy using it if it wasn't for the haptics being borked. Basically, the right trackpad produced smooth thocking sounds while the left one made a terrible crunchy and scratchy racket, while also being more powerful in general. (Tweaking the intensity of the haptics etc did not help)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 4, 2024

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Pillars of Eternity is not a good deck game. No controller support :(

E: in other new my deck is now unable to sync saves to the steam cloud and asking me to install a beet update even though Im on the stable branch :thumbsup:

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 4, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I'm getting ready to follow the guide linked earlier to install New Vegas/mods on my Deck. However, one of the things it says to do is to install ModOrganizer (on windows) as a portable app. However, I already use MO, and it is not portable. Do I have to uninstall MO to reinstall it as portable?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Boar It posted:

So.. my picky-ness got the better of me and I returned my Steam Deck after having it for a weekend. :negative: Lovely device but the left trackpad's haptics were kinda hosed and while I did try and put up with it, it put me off using it. I loved the Steam Controller so turning off the haptics was a no-go for me. I looked around and it seems like others have experienced the same problem and while you could open it up and gently caress with the track pads, I am not about to do that on a brand new device I paid 680 for.

A friend of mine bought the standard OLED model just after me and says he has no such problems so I am wondering if I can be arsed rolling the die on the QC lottery again when my refund comes through. Since I really did enjoy using it if it wasn't for the haptics being borked. Basically, the right trackpad produced smooth thocking sounds while the left one made a terrible crunchy and scratchy racket, while also being more powerful in general. (Tweaking the intensity of the haptics etc did not help)

You should have just RMA'd it. Feels like there are a ton of different issues people have had with their decks in general though. I RMA'd my first one but the OLED has been good so far thankfully.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

You should have just RMA'd it. Feels like there are a ton of different issues people have had with their decks in general though. I RMA'd my first one but the OLED has been good so far thankfully.

You mean sent it in for repairs? I figured there was no point in doing that when I can just get a refund and buy another new unit. Not sure if this applies to everyone from Valve's side but at least where I live, I get 14 days open box return no questions asked.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People misuse the term RMA all the time, it doesnt mean either repaired or replaced, it literally just means you got the ok to send it back for whatever reason.

If you sent it back to Valve for a refund you already did in fact RMA it.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 4, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RMA is for dealing with the manufacturer. Valve is both manufacturer and vendor here, but typically the return within initial short time window unconditionally mechanism is from the vendor rather than the manufacturer. And you dont need an authorization from the manufacturer to do so (by legislative protection in some cases, and contract of sale with the vendor in others).

Some larger vendors will broker RMA administration between their retail customers and their suppliers, but thats a convenience and doesnt change the fact that its the manufacturers policies that underlie it.

But yes, youre quite right that people use RMA incorrectly, and it was generous of you to provide an example of it! :wink:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I think of return as "sent back, got refund" and RMA as "return and repair or full replacement." Thanks to the pedants for setting me straight, lol

Tiny rogues continues to be fun. It's a blend of Hades, gungeon, and Diablo. There's a ton of classes and different items for builds so lots of replay value so far.

Saw that there was some fix for the fallout 4 patch fuckery, can anybody report on how it plays now?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I'll probably roll the die and buy another one even though my next upcoming trip is months away at this point. It surely can't go worse than my Nintendo Switch ownership..

First Switch had dust stuck under the screen out of the box, had a 30 day open box return at the retailer so I got another one. After a few months I read about how some Nintendo Switch units bend over time and sure enough, mine was banana shaped when I tried to lay it flat on my desk. :psyduck: Nintendo ended up replacing it with a new base unit (i.e. the console itself) and that is the one I had until I sold it two weeks ago.

Also, as an added bonus when I got my second Switch and I was walking home, I slipped on some jagged ice and somehow cut my hand on it. I managed to keep the Switch from hitting the ground at least. :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Annath posted:

So I'm getting ready to follow the guide linked earlier to install New Vegas/mods on my Deck. However, one of the things it says to do is to install ModOrganizer (on windows) as a portable app. However, I already use MO, and it is not portable. Do I have to uninstall MO to reinstall it as portable?

No, it doesnt matter. The only things youre moving to Linux are the mod and profile folders.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

frogbs posted:

Welp, installing and reinstalling the game has no effect. I guess I’ll run through all the controller settings again. Got to say it’s a little overwhelming how many different places you can tweak things.

I guess I should try another game too.

You might be able to purge the .vdi files, i had to do that for Subnautica

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Your Computer posted:

this is a long shot but does anyone know if it's possible to get mudfish to run in game mode?

i've installed ffxiv on the steam deck and it's downright cozy but unfortunately i have isp issues and ffxiv will error out with a 90002 (disconnected from server) at frequent intervals. i've fixed this on my desktop by running mudfish but as far as i can tell mudfish on steam deck works but only in desktop mode

You could try adding Konsole as a non-steam game, and run it through that.

The other option is to make a service file that starts mudrun-headless automatically at boot using systemd

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Annath posted:

I don't think it matters. When you create a new instance, you can choose to make it portable, and you can have one portable instance.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

parasyte posted:

You could try adding Konsole as a non-steam game, and run it through that.

The other option is to make a service file that starts mudrun-headless automatically at boot using systemd

Theres a decky loader to run applications, i recommend that. I think theres another one to run shell scripts too

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Boar It posted:

I'll probably roll the die and buy another one even though my next upcoming trip is months away at this point.

You absolutely should, because that problem is known but rare.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

any specific things about mass effect i should know going in

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

tango alpha delta posted:

I got a deck a few days ago and went looking for this and was so bummed to find out its not on the store anymore. I honestly think a modern version of the Onslaught mode could do really well these days. Im surprised that nothing like it (that I know of anyway) has come out since.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

alexandriao posted:

ME2 is the best one.

Other things that I personally would have liked to know beforehand are spoilers though, kinda.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Annath posted:

ME2 is the best one.

Other things that I personally would have liked to know beforehand are spoilers though, kinda.

ME1 is the best one by far (opinions are fairly split, but I feel like more people prefer the 2nd one). They're both great, try to explore every planet in ME1 before you beat the game, it's worth it. Keep in mind there's a good amount of continuity throughout so decisions can be pretty important. I don't think you are class-locked between games (ie you can switch your class from ME1 to ME2 when importing your save data) so don't sweat that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

alexandriao posted:

The game has a binary morality system. In the first game at least, and possibly in 2 and 3 (Can't remember) you can miss out on stuff with long-term consequences if you don't max out your chosen morality stat and consistently make choices supporting that stat. It's rough because the game can feel arbitrary (or, less charitably, naive) about how to categorize some of your choices. The story is still good even if you miss out on some of the charisma-based choices, but I remember feeling reeeeaaal bad at a certain spot in the first game because I didn't max out my charisma and I couldn't avoid a specific event.

If you decide you hate 1's combat, still give 2 a try. It was vastly improved, both gunplay and ability usage. The morality system, iirc, is also much more forgiving, allowing you to make choices on a case-by-case basis instead of blindly adhering to good guy/bad guy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DildenAnders posted:

ME1 is the best one by far (opinions are fairly split, but I feel like more people prefer the 2nd one). They're both great, try to explore every planet in ME1 before you beat the game, it's worth it. Keep in mind there's a good amount of continuity throughout so decisions can be pretty important. I don't think you are class-locked between games (ie you can switch your class from ME1 to ME2 when importing your save data) so don't sweat that.

I think there is some sort of bonus if you hit max level on your class in ME1 and stick with it in ME2? Maybe? Some stuff gives you bonuses when you import your save into the next game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ME 2 never should have added the ammo system

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

If you decide you hate 1's combat, still give 2 a try. It was vastly improved, both gunplay and ability usage. The morality system, iirc, is also much more forgiving, allowing you to make choices on a case-by-case basis instead of blindly adhering to good guy/bad guy.

This is me. I have tried to play through 1 at least 3 times and can't get farther than a few hours in. It feels about as dated as kotor and I struggle with certain old games for whatever reason. I still have it as a video game goal to try me2 in 2024, lol

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I don't think that's especially fair, since Windows has been able to define the requirements for hardware and drivers with tremendous economic force for the last 40 years.

On the other hand Steam Deck is the only hardware/software product of a multi billion company. While there are more different combinations of hardware/software running windows than there are Steam Decks

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

alexandriao posted:

the correct class is Vanguard

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Edit: nevermind Im a big dummy

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Me1 on the hardest difficulty is ridiculous without being a soldier (Immunity is almost required). Warp is probably the best carryover skill to have, as it lets you kill bad guys who themselves spam Immunity.

Me1 is much more of a strict RPG than ME2, how you build your character is often more important than how you pilot them.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Pillars of Eternity is not a good deck game. No controller support :(

It's been on consoles for years, how have they not added controller support to PC yet?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Diddler posted:

It's been on consoles for years, how have they not added controller support to PC yet?
One could ask the same question about Diablo 3, all of the Infinity Engine games, and Neverwinter Nights.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Commander Keene posted:

One could ask the same question about Diablo 3, all of the Infinity Engine games, and Neverwinter Nights.

lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Hear me out Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 on switch has good controls??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Diddler posted:

It was a different time. Obsidian probably did not expect a lot of PC users to care for controller support in a game like that. It sucks, but those decisions were made a long time ago and I think Obsidian had very little to do with the console ports - made by Paradox, I think?

There's still a glimmer of hope - earlier this year, Obsidian finally started updating the game again after years of silence and one of the developers said that while there's currently no plans for PC controller stuff, they are open to it "if the opportunity presents itself".