Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
Passed Azure AI-900. Was a little worried because they just updated the test and I had little hands on experience in Azure but everything was covered in the learn module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I just started ITIL foundations which I'm really enjoying being a daywalker in the IT field. Curious if companies actually care about it though.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 5, 2024

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

pro starcraft loser posted:

I just started ITIL foundations which I'm really enjoying being a daywalker in the IT field. Curious of companies actually care about it though.

I don't know the different ITIL certs but I can say I see them quite a bit in government job postings. Usually as a "nice to have". Get it and throw it on the resume.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

It’s nice to get past some HR filters or make you stand out slightly against equal candidates. Not the worst cert to get, but also not a game changer.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Renewed my AWS Solutions Architect which I didnt even know was coming due soon. Now back to a year of no certs.

Hoping to get free time to just play around with k8s on my companies dime.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

salartarium posted:

Passed Azure AI-900. Was a little worried because they just updated the test and I had little hands on experience in Azure but everything was covered in the learn module.

Not to try and braindump the test, but I'm assuming the written questions were from the learn module? Also the hands-on portions? I went through the learn module and got my free pass to take the test, but I want to make sure I'm prepared

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hows the Cysa+ regarded? Wondering if I should pursue that from Net+ I got last year

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I got ahead of myself and assumed the Enterprise Skills Initiative would pay for the AZ-900 so i went ahead and bought a MeasureUp 1Year Subscription... BEFORE i researched and found out they no longer pay in full

do they even offer Exam Voucher discounts at all anymore?

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Dandywalken posted:

Hows the Cysa+ regarded? Wondering if I should pursue that from Net+ I got last year

It seems like it's neither positively or negatively regarded. Because it's not regarded at all. I had to explain to my boss that it refreshed my Sec+.

It did help me in 2-3 sections of CiSSP

I''ll probably take CASP to refresh both the CySA and sec+ next year.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dandywalken posted:

It can check some boxes for US government IT jobs, either as a contractor or federal employee.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I knocked out my AWS Solutions Architect Pro and DevOps Engineer Pro, which aren't too bad if you use AWS daily. The most significant part is reviewing stuff you don't use too often, e.g., analytics or ML.

I've worked on the federal and now contractor sides of the house for government contracts, yet neither has emphasized certs. Just pass the clearance/public trust and do your job. Granted, I'm not in any management position, but I should knock out others without "cert padding." Maybe CISSP, but ignore the AWS Specialty certs for now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got AZ-104 in August and I have no idea what I'm even going to do with it. Every job involving Azure also requires coding and SQL and work experience in each. It feels like a waste of time ever getting it at all.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Use it as a resume-padder for a job you actually want. That's what I did with my AZ-305. Now I'm in a union.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

skooma512 posted:

I got AZ-104 in August and I have no idea what I'm even going to do with it. Every job involving Azure also requires coding and SQL and work experience in each. It feels like a waste of time ever getting it at all.

Get a devops job and skill up in data or dev. Or become a guru at infrastructure as code tools.

If you can learn even basic programming skills like git and release management you can become a scrum master. They don't seem to need to know anything beyond how to run jira.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

AZ-104 is super, super useful. You've got the Azure IaaS and some PaaS basics down and you know how to manage all of it. Just build on top of that skillset with VMs, Terraform, Containers, etc.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I tried to schedule my az104 today, and I swear I've never dealt with a more useless bunch of turds. "system" was down for hours, "we've got you scheduled but now the payment system is down, so now you're not actually scheduled", "call back in a few hours, I don't know", etc etc etc

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Woo, just passed the CISSP. Definitely had the usual test experience of being sure I was gonna fail halfway through.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

rafikki posted:

Woo, just passed the CISSP. Definitely had the usual test experience of being sure I was gonna fail halfway through.

Congrats!!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Congrats, not an easy feat from what I’ve heard about it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

rafikki posted:

What's up, provisionally passed* bro!

I passed the exam yesterday. gently caress that thing and I'm never taking another cert exam, again. Until the next one.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

tadashi posted:

What's up, provisionally passed* bro!

I passed the exam yesterday. gently caress that thing and I'm never taking another cert exam, again. Until the next one.

:hfive: I particularly like how all that time I spent reviewing things like kerberos login flows, DREAD/PASTA/STRIDE, SW-CMM, etc weren't reflected on the test.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm looking to finish my CCNP with the ENCOR cert. I got the SDWAN cert already and it was not easy but not super difficult because I mainly work with SDWAN all day. But ENCOR is a nightmare for me and I really need to do labs. I thought Packet tracer was pretty great when I was studying for my CCNA many years ago but from what I remember it was basically useless for anything NP level. So from what I understand it seems like there's basically 2 ways to set up labs:
1: Buy real equipment. Most likely older stuff but still good enough to run whatever commands are needed for NP level work. This can be expensive though from what I've seen. Also I'm in a small cramped apartment and this stuff takes up a lot of space.
2: Set up some kind of virtual lab with a program like GNS3. This seems like a better option, but holy hell does this sound complicated as hell to set up. It looks as though you basically need a dedicated server for it (and I am very server dumb) which is expensive and you also need the actual IOS images for whatever devices you're trying to emulate which would mean getting them through shady means? And just setting up a virtual environment seems really complicated in general.

Are there any other ways to set up a lab? Are there labs you can rent somewhere online? It seems like there's no real good options.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Charliegrs posted:

I'm looking to finish my CCNP with the ENCOR cert. I got the SDWAN cert already and it was not easy but not super difficult because I mainly work with SDWAN all day. But ENCOR is a nightmare for me and I really need to do labs. I thought Packet tracer was pretty great when I was studying for my CCNA many years ago but from what I remember it was basically useless for anything NP level. So from what I understand it seems like there's basically 2 ways to set up labs:
1: Buy real equipment. Most likely older stuff but still good enough to run whatever commands are needed for NP level work. This can be expensive though from what I've seen. Also I'm in a small cramped apartment and this stuff takes up a lot of space.
2: Set up some kind of virtual lab with a program like GNS3. This seems like a better option, but holy hell does this sound complicated as hell to set up. It looks as though you basically need a dedicated server for it (and I am very server dumb) which is expensive and you also need the actual IOS images for whatever devices you're trying to emulate which would mean getting them through shady means? And just setting up a virtual environment seems really complicated in general.

Are there any other ways to set up a lab? Are there labs you can rent somewhere online? It seems like there's no real good options.
Well, since I'm probably staring down the path of doing the CCNP pretty soon my two primary options would be Cisco Modeling Labs or the NetSim practice labs that come with the Boson CCNP Encor. Both options seem to run close to $200 for the year, Boson also has a three month subscription. I'm not sure how robust their environment is for ENCOR but I've used their stuff for A+, Net+, Sec+, PenTest+, and the CCNA and managed to pass everything on the first shot.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Charliegrs posted:

If you’re employed and can get someone to buy it for you, get the Cisco e-Learning from the Learning Network Store. It has labs built into every section that specifically hammer on each subject. You can also use CLCs to buy it if you have those. (And CLCs also work for CML Personal, FYI)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't like the Cisco learning labs labs. Too hand holdy. They'd give you an environment and provide step by step directions on what to do. It's too easy to fall into the trap of just following the directions without really understanding why. If you want to spend money then boson is the way to go.

Building a lab is surprisingly cheap but it's obviously a pain in the rear end. Most people I know went the GNS3 route and I will too once I get off my lazy rear end

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
When I started CCNP level stuff I tried to keep going with EveNG, but the stuff at that level was either sketchy or just not working at all, I remember VXLAN being a problem, so I bit the bullet and got CML, worked fine for labbing out everything at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I took ENCOR last year using the OCG, Cisco Learning course, and 31 days before your CCNP. The labs were sufficient--it helps to go through them a second time with your notes and not follow the step-by-step instructions. The "31 days" book was largely a reprint of the course material from the course, sans labs.
I won't say what's on the ENCOR exam, but if you are prepared for a basic BGP implementation, OSPF implementation, Port Channel implementation, and have a good handle on EEM, you may not be blindsided.

The topics I wasn't prepared for material wise was SD Access, SDWAN, and surprisingly Virtualization which I felt didn't follow the training material. Other people complain about automation, but a little Python and JSON knowledge was enough for me to get by.

If you are looking at the Cisco Learning course, last year they ran a 50% deal off professional level exams during Cisco Live which is conveniently next week. I'd wait to see if they're running a promo.