Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That's straight up what Republicans and other fascists believe.
Conservatives believe that violence is one of the foremost virtues of manhood and the first and best way to solve nearly all problems, but they still believe it is a means to an end. To the fascist, violence is no longer the means, but the end. The goal of the fascist is to hurt people and cause suffering. Full stop. And while I would argue most of what we call fascists are not and are in fact extreme conservatives - including most historical Nazis - the GOP is and has been a largely fascist organization, even by my rigid definition, for some time now. The map has been the territory for decades. Rush Limbaugh was probably the real vanguard of it. Note how he never articulated policies or had any positive arguments; all he ever did was complain about people and celebrate misery. Doing X to own the libs.

Like there's a reason the real driving force of modern Republicanism is 4chan and other dens of online trolling. Objectivism is sociopathy masquerading as philosophy, and fascism is psychopathy masquerading as politics.

He's correct in that the counter protestors have no real skin in the game or ideological beliefs and simply hate the protestors. They are fascists.
They also look at it through a very one way lens. The violence of protestors certainly isn't celebrated, they see it as an existential threat (even though it's mainly directed at elite universities, institutions that fascists have long hated- you'd think they'd relish in the wokes tearing down their own woke indoctrination centers!) but the violence of counter protestors is cheered on.

There's another aspect of this, which is that of disgust and how conservative minded people have a much lower threshold for experiencing feelings of disgust. This itself manifests in their feelings and attitudes about conformity and hygiene. I've seen a LOT of talk about how ugly the protestors look, appearance plays such a huge factor in the moral worth of an individual. You see a lot of comparisons drawn between the protestors (who are disproportionately women, with diverse races and body types) and the counter protestors who are athletic looking white guys in clean polo shirts. This leads conservatives to conclude that ugly people take on leftist causes because they are miserable and jealous of the happy and beautiful counter protestors.

Which is, of course ridiculous and not representative of reactionaries as a whole (the 'where the gently caress is your chin' bit in Preacher definitely applies in a lot of cases.) They always see themselves as Chad McChaderson in the AP stock photo of the event, when in fact most of their counterparts are far more oblong and misshapen than they'd care to admit.

The shallowness often makes me wonder how much they call each other's loyalties into question when they're not pretty enough to be the 'ideal' model of a conservative. Like are they measuring their wives with fat calipers warning them that they're 2 BMI percent away from progressing from 'conservative' to 'liberal'? If it's the leftists that are the fat and ugly ones what happens to the John Merricks of conservative circles? Like I'm imagining that scene from 300 with ephilates,

"I have long studied the ways of Ronald Reagan, I will own many leftists!"

"I'm sorry, Ernie. You can't hold the US flag up to regulation height. I've no use for you for the rally tomorrow."

"No please, Leonard, let me join"

"Sorry, you know the rules. If you want to help, you can referee the girls soccer practice, otherwise you're no good to me. "

*Ernie proceeds to go running off to the liberal encampment and pledges fealty to Joe Biden*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Physical appearance-wise I look like an excellent conservative and since I'm actually a Christian as well that's led to me hearing some interesting (racist) things

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

The Islamic Shock posted:

Physical appearance-wise I look like an excellent conservative and since I'm actually a Christian as well that's led to me hearing some interesting (racist) things

I was raised catholic from a very Irish catholic family and I look like Mark Zuckerberg so I have been hearing a very complicated hodgepodge of different things from various people. I keep my views and personal identity to myself at work and I have a public facing job at a bar. I have had people tell me unprompted how sad they are about what has happened to my people and I have been called a "loving murderous [insert slur with a k here]". No person seems to have any idea how to respond to anything anymore.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Not that it makes any difference at all, but I’m curious to know which of the seer Alex Jones’ prophesies Tucker was talking about there.

Was it the deep state plot to turn all frogs gay, was it the PigMan, or what?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I've run into this as well. I don't wear polo shirts and poo poo but I'm white, have short hair, no tats or piercings and it's weird how often someone assumes "Bigger boat is safe to say this around as knows what I'm talking about".

Reminds me of a GM I used to have but couldn't relate to that had a bunch of dead deer heads in his office. So he was exactly how you'd imagine. I brought up an Alabama NFL running back that had a good game (he went to Alabama) in an attempt to bond and he had no idea who Sean Alexander was, saying "I don't keep track of every N*****R who comes through the school" very matter of factly. I was...stunned.

He later fired me for being "unable to work with" and, a little later than that, was prosecuted by the company for embezzlement. SO I am happy to be fired by that rear end in a top hat. I know for a fact that he was embarrassed by me momentarily crying on 9/12/01 in front of the workers during a What the gently caress Just Happened Gathering and I can say with full confidence that he was a Republican who watched FOX News, loves guns and hates N-wordspeople. He's probably a sheriff or a district rep somewhere now but with any luck he's dead.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Holy poo poo I just had a realization, possibly just based on myself being baked on a Saturday. I see Kevin Faulconer all the time, that dude is one of my neighbors. I know that guy and he is a sack of poo poo. He is poo poo. I would run into him throughout the years, we never really remembered each other, a story or two, nice dog nice dog, he treated people and dogs poorly and sang like poo poo at the church and never picked up poo poo. He then became Mayor, we never talked for more than like 15 seconds after that though I still saw him, BLM protests happened outside his and technically our entire neighborhoods house, he still didn't remember me. October 7th happens, he's checking the house after all his poo poo with his wife, suddenly he says "Oh hey, hows it going! How's the family? You've been here how long?" and just starts going into a thing. I cut him off and said Kevin I'm busy which is kind of fun in retrospect but I never thought it might have been some kind of maybe he thinks I'm Jewish thing. God I hate that guy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BiggerBoat posted:

I've run into this as well. I don't wear polo shirts and poo poo but I'm white, have short hair, no tats or piercings and it's weird how often someone assumes "Bigger boat is safe to say this around as knows what I'm talking about".

Reminds me of a GM I used to have but couldn't relate to that had a bunch of dead deer heads in his office. So he was exactly how you'd imagine. I brought up an Alabama NFL running back that had a good game (he went to Alabama) in an attempt to bond and he had no idea who Sean Alexander was, saying "I don't keep track of every N*****R who comes through the school" very matter of factly. I was...stunned.

He later fired me for being "unable to work with" and, a little later than that, was prosecuted by the company for embezzlement. SO I am happy to be fired by that rear end in a top hat. I know for a fact that he was embarrassed by me momentarily crying on 9/12/01 in front of the workers during a What the gently caress Just Happened Gathering and I can say with full confidence that he was a Republican who watched FOX News, loves guns and hates N-wordspeople. He's probably a sheriff or a district rep somewhere now but with any luck he's dead.

I absolutely parsed "GM" as "Game Master" until you mentioned being fired and it didn't affect the believability in the slightest.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MrMojok posted:

Not that it makes any difference at all, but I’m curious to know which of the seer Alex Jones’ prophesies Tucker was talking about there.

Was it the deep state plot to turn all frogs gay, was it the PigMan, or what?

And how does that prediction compare to the historical legacy of known, culturally acknowledged prophets whom everyone agrees called the right shots?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Apparently Lauren Southern didn't really dig the Tradwife lifestyle...
https://twitter.com/YazaNico/status/1787367360145338475?t=1-Yy_4uEDswe2Diuv_vRxA&s=19

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Tradwives confuse me somewhat. Like... they're clearly submissive in relationships but sure as poo poo not when it comes to imposing their desires on everyone else, and said Ls they're taking (abusive partners) is the most obvious thing for a sub to look out for.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It sucks people have to go through that much poo poo to realize "hey maybe the reasons things changed was because it loving sucked before" but here we are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Push El Burrito posted:

It sucks people have to go through that much poo poo to realize "hey maybe the reasons things changed was because it loving sucked before" but here we are.

The problem generally stems from them getting to the find out phase of this loving around, and then still demanding that other people need to continue doing what happened to them for whatever bizarro rear end reasons. Like they can never admit that the people who were telling them this is exactly what was going to happen all the way at the start were right, so they'll never join them in working to make things better for everyone. "My abortion was OK because I was in a unique situation, your abortion is wrong because you're a slut. Me getting out of a tradwife abusive relationship was the right thing because it was bad and abusive, you're just a morally deficient person that didn't want to stick by their man." and so on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Tradwives confuse me somewhat. Like... they're clearly submissive in relationships but sure as poo poo not when it comes to imposing their desires on everyone else, and said Ls they're taking (abusive partners) is the most obvious thing for a sub to look out for.
A big part of it is the desire to arrange themselves in very narrowly defined and simple hierarchies. The better they feel they can slot into these hierarchies the more effectively they can condescend towards others. The Tradwife is the Wife, Mother, Housekeeper, Homemaker, etc. These are all things she thinks all women are meant to do, so while she's 'submissive' towards her husband she's really just trying to dictate where everyone is supposed to be in the pecking order.

There was a Twitter post a while back that was particularly funny, because it was from a self described tradwife type lady who correctly pointed out these guys who want a trad wife never step up to the plate to be trad husband. These wannabes let other conservative men walk all over them for fear of being labeled a commie or queer. They'll sit on the computer all day thirsting over onlyfans thots instead of chopping another cord of firewood and raising their sperm count. They'll never be willing to bring anything to the table that the Tradwife actually needs in a household.

Not surprisingly the conservative dudes in the replies were extremely angry over this concept. Similarly, conservatives are dragging Lauren Southern for her hosed up relationship. After all, a conservative man's marriage cannot fail, only be failed by a disloyal wife.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

A big part of it is the desire to arrange themselves in very narrowly defined and simple hierarchies. The better they feel they can slot into these hierarchies the more effectively they can condescend towards others. The Tradwife is the Wife, Mother, Housekeeper, Homemaker, etc. These are all things she thinks all women are meant to do, so while she's 'submissive' towards her husband she's really just trying to dictate where everyone is supposed to be in the pecking order.

There was a Twitter post a while back that was particularly funny, because it was from a self described tradwife type lady who correctly pointed out these guys who want a trad wife never step up to the plate to be trad husband. These wannabes let other conservative men walk all over them for fear of being labeled a commie or queer. They'll sit on the computer all day thirsting over onlyfans thots instead of chopping another cord of firewood and raising their sperm count. They'll never be willing to bring anything to the table that the Tradwife actually needs in a household.

Not surprisingly the conservative dudes in the replies were extremely angry over this concept. Similarly, conservatives are dragging Lauren Southern for her hosed up relationship. After all, a conservative man's marriage cannot fail, only be failed by a disloyal wife.
That makes much more sense. Being number two to someone you specifically chose and superior to all the other women by virtue of having done so. I was thinking much more in terms of "if they didn't have poo poo beliefs they could just fuckin' do a kinky relationship", totally missed the superior to others in established conservative hierarchy part of it. That's what I get for not remembering these people are also obsessively our team vs. their team.

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 6, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SOme talk radio dude was going off on overpaid McDonalds workers this afternoon and shared this anecdote.

He went to McD's and ordered four double cheeseburgers, NO BUN and asked that they be put in a salad tray. For some reason. He was psyched to be first in line but upset that he was asked to pull into the waiting area spot and then became increasingly pissed as several other people got their food.

Now, assuming this even happened, I think I may have spotted his problem.

First of all, fast food service has always sucked but, beyond that, he ordered this weird custom cheeseburger salad tray thing. These restaurants are set up to work like assembly lines in an automated fashion. Any time you change up their system with anything beyond "no cheese" or "no onions", they're not built for it and I doubt the automated order entry thingy that they rely on even had an option for something that bizarre. Probably took the 17 year old kid 10 minutes to figure out how to even enter it and then attempt to go explain it to the kitchen. "they want WHAT now?"

I also wonder if he considered that maybe other customers perhaps ordered their poo poo ahead of time on a loving app and their food was waiting for them. Orders that were normal poo poo on their menu and not a bizarre loving salad tray full of meat and cheese.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Did he make that order because he thought a meat and cheese salad sounded yummy, or was he intentionally testing the employees?

Behold: the chilling story of how Satan messed with one family's household appliances!

quote:

Intrigued, I reported my findings to my husband and asked if he would be willing to attend Mass with me, and he agreed. We were both instantly drawn to the tradition, liturgy and sacraments of the Church. After several more visits, we concluded that the Catholic Church held the fullness of Christian faith, and our next step was to become Catholic. Days later, we enrolled in RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) classes to begin our conversion. 

Almost as soon as we began the RCIA process, we were inundated with strange occurrences in our home. Lights turned on in rooms where no one had entered. A large arched windowpane inexplicably shattered, sending thousands of shards of glass all over the floor. Our kitchen sink pipe leaked water. Our toilets overflowed. Our septic system overflowed. Our washing machine leaked water, so we replaced it. Then the brand-new machine leaked water, but the technician found no issues. Our refrigerator mysteriously stopped cooling, so we replaced it. Our air conditioner broke, so we replaced that as well. Then our new thermostat dramatically changed temperatures without being touched, and the technician could offer no explanation. Water slowly dripped from a wooden door frame. The television screen changed colors — or stopped working altogether — when we tried to stream daily Mass.
https://www.ncregister.com/features/jayme-conversion-testimony

Did she consider non-supernatural causes for any of this before blaming the Devil? For example, did her or her husband take any massive dumps before the toilet overflowed?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
"Only Satan could have backed up the toilet that bad"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

William Bear posted:

Did he make that order because he thought a meat and cheese salad sounded yummy, or was he intentionally testing the employees?

I guess if you're aiming for some sort of low-carb deal where you're just ordering meat and cheese without the bread, the regular burger wrapper would just leave you with cheese stuck to greasy paper. At least a salad tray makes it easier to scrape cheese off it with a fork without tearing anything or making a mess. But special orders taking longer is just a normal part of making special orders.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In-n-Out does “protein style” but they at least give you some lettuce to hold it with

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Sometimes I wonder what they would deliver to me if I ordered something like this:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sometimes I wonder what they would deliver to me if I ordered something like this:

Luckily, the producer of the Big Bang Theory, in his younger days, took this idea through to completion: None Pizza with Left Beef

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
An order for a burger with no bun and put into a salad tray isn't unheard of. Usually that kind of order is made by someone who can't eat bread for some reason.

And yes, because you're already thinking about it and probably making that post already, they could always order a salad or anything else or go anywhere else or or or

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Star Man posted:

An order for a burger with no bun and put into a salad tray isn't unheard of. Usually that kind of order is made by someone who can't eat bread for some reason.

And yes, because you're already thinking about it and probably making that post already, they could always order a salad or anything else or go anywhere else or or or

Found the talk radio guy

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

...! posted:

Found the talk radio guy
they right though

source is food service most my life

edit: not common though, like once a week a meat only order

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

BiggerBoat posted:

SOme talk radio dude was going off on overpaid McDonalds workers this afternoon and shared this anecdote.

He went to McD's and ordered four double cheeseburgers, NO BUN and asked that they be put in a salad tray. For some reason. He was psyched to be first in line but upset that he was asked to pull into the waiting area spot and then became increasingly pissed as several other people got their food.

Now, assuming this even happened, I think I may have spotted his problem.

is it that he is a roaring thundertitted bellend

that's really high up there on the scale of hunting for measly scraps of persecution

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Stuff like this is a great way to advertise to people, "I have $8,000 worth of tools and guns packed in this loot box of a vehicle".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Moron labe

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Panfilo posted:

Stuff like this is a great way to advertise to people, "I have $8,000 worth of tools and guns packed in this loot box of a vehicle".

I heard a priceless debate on a talk station where the host was taking calls about the parents who were charged for their son's school shooting. The host bragged about his firearms at home and what a deterrent they were from theft, and one caller was like "uhhh that makes your house a target, not a shelter," and they want back and forth about the logic behind that. Gave me a chuckle.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Panfilo posted:

Classic old meme:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Well Chris Kyle is dead (he thought it was a good idea to take someone with PTSD out shooting!), so....

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FMguru posted:

Classic old meme:

Wonder if the insurance company would refuse that claim as it’s an invitation instead of a deterrent.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hannity was a guest on Kilmeade's morning show today and said:

"Nobody can even say what the charges against Trump even ARE".

They're right here, Sean. All four cases:

(https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-indictments-details-guide-charges-trial-dates-people-case/)

NYC: Charges: 34 counts of falsifying business records in the first degree
So "Fraud".

He also said the statute of limitations had run out. Also false. Sorry for the NY Post link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Y...20organization.

quote:

On June 27, 2023, the state's appellate division ruled that the case could continue, but that statutes of limitations limited allegedly illegal transactions from being charged if they concluded before July 13, 2014, respecting an August 2021 tolling agreement between the OAG and the organization.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/03/trumps-statute-of-limitations-claim-at-civil-trial-explained/

quote:

An appeals court in June ruled that the statute of limitations in the case is set at 2014.

While claims relating to alleged conduct from before 2014 can’t come into the case, Engoron set the record straight Tuesday — saying that evidence from before that time could still be used to help prove newer claims.

But the strangest thing (well not that strange) is that Hannity essentially did what amounted to a stump speech. I listen to Sean's show for 5 or 15 minutes at a clip here and there (or until I want to put a gun in my mouth) and I often accuse him of being a bit of a robot with prepared rhetoric and a talking points machine. But it really stood out this time.

I had heard this exact same rant, almost word for word, on his show and it reminded me a lot of the Bernie Sanders campaign actually - I mean, beyond the content of course - but just in the way it really WAS written and rehearsed ahead of time. I'm sure you can imagine but it was basically a chat GPT where you put in "Hunter Biden, rampant crime, illegal immigrants, weaponized DoJ, inflation", etc. etc. Oddly, no mention of George Soros.

He said the NYC judge should recuse for being a "Biden Donor". I wasn't aware that was a requirement for a judge. Also, what does this trial have to do with Joe Biden?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

That's a lot of decal money to say "gently caress you I'm an rear end in a top hat USA USA USA"

Two stood out though:

"The Legend (The Punisher)" Known cop killer

"I pledge Allegiance to no Tyrant" Except Trump

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BiggerBoat posted:

But the strangest thing (well not that strange) is that Hannity essentially did what amounted to a stump speech. I listen to Sean's show for 5 or 15 minutes at a clip here and there (or until I want to put a gun in my mouth) and I often accuse him of being a bit of a robot with prepared rhetoric and a talking points machine. But it really stood out this time.
Is it though? He's very close with Trump and he was probably one of the people on Fox who could most consistently reach him when he was in office.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is it though? He's very close with Trump and he was probably one of the people on Fox who could most consistently reach him when he was in office.

They had bed chats. Trump would phone him up late at night to talk, back when Fox was in his good books.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes I remember something about that

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

BiggerBoat posted:

He said the NYC judge should recuse for being a "Biden Donor". I wasn't aware that was a requirement for a judge. Also, what does this trial have to do with Joe Biden?

Any consequences for Trump are obviously political hit jobs, duh.
A Trump donor would have the impartiality required of these charges (that no one can name).

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Panfilo posted:

This is the truck equivalent of “graphic design is my passion”

Like, choose a loving font and stick to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
"I really don't care what people think of me" in that mix says so, so much. They really believe that, while caring an exceptional amount, simultaneously. Cognitive dissonance factory on wheels baby