Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah that sub is incredibly delusional, half of them want to go to war with Iran immediately lol

they should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Zodium posted:

it is interesting the degree to which the emergence of a western protest movement has sucked the air out of the room. it is probably better that people are focusing more on local efforts to impede the genocide, but it is interesting nonetheless. edit: and also, the reduced activity is a little bit welcome, if i'm being honest.

*peering over reading glasses* innit?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah that sub is incredibly delusional, half of them want to go to war with Iran immediately lol

And Hesbollah!
And Ansarallah!
Just attack everyone at the same time, everyone knows opening multiple new fronts against heavily armed enemies is the way to win your current offensive against an insurgency that is kicking your rear end up and down the street .

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1786844603108257864

quote:

Israeli newspaper Maariv revealed that the families of over 600 Israeli occupation soldiers carrying out the genocide in Gaza addressed Security Minister Yoav Gallant and Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi in a letter, demanding a backtrack on the Rafah invasion.

Reportedly, the letter further stated that they did not trust Halevi and Gallant, and warned of the invasion being a death trap.

Last week, Israeli news broadcaster Channel 12 reported that a total of 30 servicemembers in the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) refused to comply with orders to ready the army for a ground invasion of the city of Rafah.

The broadcaster cited fatigue as the primary reason for the refusal, stating that these servicemembers feel unable to continue fighting in Gaza after nearly 7 months of combat.

Forces from the reserve paratrooper company attached to the regular Paratroopers Brigade reportedly received orders to prepare for action in Rafah, Channel 12 states, but they later informed their superiors that they "will not come because they are no longer capable of doing so."

Army officials said they would not force reserve personnel to partake in the invasion, yet their refusal is said to be a clear indication of depleted reserve forces after months of fighting.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed on Tuesday that an invasion of the densely-populated Rafah city will take place regardless of whether an exchange deal with the Palestinian Resistance was reached or not.

"The idea that we will stop the war before all its goals have been achieved is irrelevant. We will enter Rafah and destroy Hamas battalions there, with or without an agreement [on hostages], to achieve absolute victory," he told families of the captives held in the Strip.

For many weeks now, Israelis have been flooding the streets of Tel Aviv and several other areas, demanding that Netanyahu resign over his performance in the war on Gaza, including his continued dismissal of an exchange deal.

According to Channel 13, around 45,000 people demonstrated in Tel Aviv on April 22, while organizers said the number was 100,000. Protesters said that the political leadership seemed removed from the predicament of captives, noting that negotiators would frequently share photographs and anecdotes about the captives to help lawmakers be more empathetic.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

American promises or guarantees are worth *nothing*

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/dylanotes/status/1786821265082167332

bro he wants to stay out of jail so badly

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

permanent end to the war with security guarantees from China, nothing less. don’t know if China would agree but frankly I don’t think any other state is up to the task.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

China would not touch this with a 20 foot bamboo stick.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

permanent end to the war with security guarantees from China, nothing less. don’t know if China would agree but frankly I don’t think any other state is up to the task.

i dont think china has any interest in providing a security guarantee to palestine. by security gaurantee i am referring to the IR definition, security umbrella, etc. nato. although with the INF decayed it would be a very epic time to engage in this sort of offensive diplomacy. and by very epic i mean extremely dangerous for humanity.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Sancho Banana posted:

At this point they should state that unless they get an upfront promise that a permanant ceasefire is a part of the deal, they won't show up to negotiate. Israel is just jerking everyone around.

I don't think Bibi can actually allow a ceasefire to happen, or at least fight it so much that it appears to be out of his hands so he doesn't get immediately pulled out of office with a comically giant cane.

basically this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This will all just go back to square 1 and another October 7 will happen again unless Israel agrees to end its almost 18 year long siege of Gaza, tear down the walls around it, and rebuild Gaza with the aid of the U.N. and the rest of the world. It seems like the U.S. wants the war ended right now but for there to be no plans for afterwards, they don't give a gently caress what happens to Gaza, they just want the war over in the hopes people will stop thinking about it.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Yeah honestly I'm pretty confident that Israel will lose the current fight and will be toppled eventually - the question is how fast it'll happen, and what will take its place. Even if the US is eventually willing to call an oopsies on the genocide they'll fight tooth and nail against any kind of restitution. Unless they're somehow forced to by Europe or the UN, which, lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I wonder if they'll try to give him a golden parachute or if they'll hang him out to dry

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah the guardian keeps repeating the same story staying its “sources” suggest an imminent break through in negotiations as hamas has suddenly decided to accept israel’s reasonable “offer”

not sure how they know considering all the western jurnos are sitting pretty in a cafe in jerusalem and only get up to put on body armour when they’re on TV

The Guardian's "sources" are US and British security services. They're thoroughly compromised after getting raided for publishing the Snowden leaks and were subsequently referred to as a valuable partner in briefings

This site has a grim rundown of how they helped smear Corbyn as an antisemite for supporting Palestine

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

god i love the thread title so much it legitimately hurts my brain everytime i see it its like a cthulu monster that destroys your brain cells if you look at it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

I could always go on a giant freakout thousand paragraph rant with lots of calling people dogs and stuff if you’re ever feeling too bored.

i love the way arabic speakers craft insults
straight to the point in a way native english speakers v rarely are, like translated from arabic or in english to begin with there's neat qualities that stay

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

FirstnameLastname posted:

i love the way arabic speakers craft insults
straight to the point in a way native english speakers v rarely are, like translated from arabic or in english to begin with there's neat qualities that stay

I was reading a Saudi and a Lebanonese guy insulting each other on a forum and it was like watching two superheros fighting while tossing buildings at each other while levitating and everyone gets out of their way.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

quote:

to help lawmakers be more empathetic.

lmao

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

I said come in! posted:

This will all just go back to square 1 and another October 7 will happen again unless Israel agrees to end its almost 18 year long siege of Gaza, tear down the walls around it, and rebuild Gaza with the aid of the U.N. and the rest of the world. It seems like the U.S. wants the war ended right now but for there to be no plans for afterwards, they don't give a gently caress what happens to Gaza, they just want the war over in the hopes people will stop thinking about it.

The US is looking to retore the pre-October 7th status quo, which is laughably delusional. Israel will never accept this, because they know that that status quo is impossible now - Hamas proved that they can attack Israel, and they would do so again at a later time (as they would have every right to, as they are resisting occupation and blockade).

But yeah, the US would've liked to see this wrapped up months ago and the fact that it hasn't is a disaster for them, domestically and internationally.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

I wonder if they'll try to give him a golden parachute or if they'll hang him out to dry

they should promise him the world and then gently caress him over the moment he's out. it's what he would do

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

GoodluckJonathan posted:

American promises or guarantees are worth *nothing*

one weird trick to increase your credibility: bomb more german pipelines

Kopmala
Mar 28, 2024

How could the US even guarantee that there would be a permanent ceasefire upon the release of the hostages? Are we going to attack Israel if they don't?

If that's the case, then I really hope they do it. loving regime change time america gently caress yeah

dti dta

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real Mean Queen posted:

What are they actually up against here? We already went and showed them why we don’t have healthcare and by all evidence it seems like they said “lol bummer”

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/02/1246636334/pentagon-military-healthcare

quote:

After a decade of downsizing, Defense Department officials also admit they need to rebuild the medical force and the general health of active duty troops. But restoring medical readiness to where it was during the last war, much less where is needs to be for the next one, is a by all accounts a herculean task.

these guys outspend the entire chinese military annual budget just on healthcare, yet their truups are getting less of it than ever

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

make it say miserable little vile of schlomos

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Israel will lose.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Palladium posted:

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/02/1246636334/pentagon-military-healthcare

these guys outspend the entire chinese military annual budget just on healthcare, yet their truups are getting less of it than ever

we're reaching late Qing levels of of political corruption and ripping the copper wiring out of the state

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MayadeenEnglish/status/1786931381173473347

Iraqi Islamic Resistance says they hit the port of Haifa with an Arqab missile.

quote:

On Thursday evening, the Islamic Resistance in Iraq announced the targeting of a key location in Beer al-Sabe' using al-Aqrab advanced cruise missiles, reaffirming their commitment to opposing Israeli occupation and defending Palestine and its people.

On Friday, shortly after midnight, the Iraqi Resistance also announced their striking of a vital site in Tel Aviv, "located within our occupied Palestinian territories", as well as a vital target in the Dead Sea.

The Resistance targeted the Abraham intelligence headquarters in Beer al-Sabe' and Mossad's Glilot intelligence center in Tel Aviv, which is located approximately eight kilometers away from Kirya, where the Israeli occupation government holds its War Cabinet meetings.

This is the third strike in three days.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:35 on May 5, 2024

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Smythe posted:

i dont think china has any interest in providing a security guarantee to palestine. by security gaurantee i am referring to the IR definition, security umbrella, etc. nato. although with the INF decayed it would be a very epic time to engage in this sort of offensive diplomacy. and by very epic i mean extremely dangerous for humanity.
i trust china to behave like adults more than just about any other country on the world stage right now

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 8 days!)

PawParole posted:

I was reading a Saudi and a Lebanonese guy insulting each other on a forum and it was like watching two superheros fighting while tossing buildings at each other while levitating and everyone gets out of their way.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
Death to Israel.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i trust china to behave like adults more than just about any other country on the world stage right now

that’s right

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

RedSky posted:

Death to Israel.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

VoicesCanBe posted:

The US is looking to retore the pre-October 7th status quo, which is laughably delusional. Israel will never accept this, because they know that that status quo is impossible now - Hamas proved that they can attack Israel, and they would do so again at a later time (as they would have every right to, as they are resisting occupation and blockade).

But yeah, the US would've liked to see this wrapped up months ago and the fact that it hasn't is a disaster for them, domestically and internationally.

The thought of a return to the status-quo ante is so ridiculously off the table. The cost and effort required to bring Gaza back to its previous, highly curtailed living standard is immense, which is of course central to the Israel's genocide.

“Best-case” UN assessment says rebuilding Gaza homes destroyed by Israel’s genocidal onslaught will take close to two decades posted:

Rebuilding the approximately 80,000 housing units, destroyed throughout the Gaza Strip by the imperialist-backed Israeli regime’s bloody assault, would take until 2040, according to an assessment by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) released Wednesday. The “best-case” projection, which underscores how far Israel has gone in enforcing its deliberate ethnic cleansing of the enclave, is based on the highly improbable assumptions that the war ends now and the Zionist regime allows a five-fold increase of construction material imports into Gaza.

Assuming instead that construction material imports arrive at a similar pace as they did in the aftermath of previous Israeli bombardments, the Palestinians would need “approximately 80 years to restore all the fully destroyed housing units.” The estimate does not include performing any repairs to an additional 290,000 homes damaged in the incessant air bombardments and shelling that have officially claimed the lives of over 34,500 people and unofficially well over 40,000.

The agency projects that the cost of rebuilding Gaza would fall somewhere between $30 billion and $40 billion. “The scale of the destruction is huge and unprecedented … this is a mission that the global community has not dealt with since World War II,” added UN assistant secretary-general Abdallah al-Dardari. Another anonymous UN official quoted by Reuters referred to a “moonscape” of destruction.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/alkhatib_YE/status/1786989156482294045

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

getting some laps in around the union track

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/EFPconnoisseur/status/1786968430215561410

Sounds like a real firefight in Nablus.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
Miri Regev confirms in an interview that Israel is responsible for the attack in Iran a couple weeks ago

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1786991716060291356?t=BvILesmL_CDdPIF01BOWnQ&s=19

Yangrendan
Dec 6, 2023
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I thought I would give it a try.

Are there any good monographs or scholarly works that go into detail about Israeli food policies/controls etc. in regards to Gaza, along with the consequences for Gazans? I'd like to understand more about this but I haven't found anything good through google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Sancho Banana posted:

Miri Regev confirms in an interview that Israel is responsible for the attack in Iran a couple weeks ago

https://twitter.com/ynetalerts/status/1786991716060291356?t=BvILesmL_CDdPIF01BOWnQ&s=19

Wow no way