Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

tristeham doesn’t like that I think support of Donald Trump is support of fascism and then thinks that’s an appropriate to do about it.

to be fair it is a conclusion about Trump that is directly resulting from my love of Tillich.

and yet you cannot deny you gently caress, cum in, and fall asleep clinging to boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

a man need not deny a thing that is neither shameful nor notorious

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ships

not boats. boats are cargo. the yacht-ees are whole separate thing from unlimited tonnage and horsepower mariners.

I actually kind-of dislike boats bigger than canoes basically until one gets to real ships.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

OH SPIRITS, GODS, AND FEY OF CSPAM AND THE INTERNET I INVOKE THEE

HEAR THIS ACOLYTE’S HUMBLE REQUEST AND ACCEPT THESE GIFTS I HAVE SACRIFICED TO THEE

THERE IS A GREAT EVIL THAT BEDEVILS ME. THE FORM OF THIS EVIL IS THAT OF A BOAT RETARD.

SEND THIS GREAT EVIL AWAY FROM ME AND CSPAM AND BACK TO THE LOWEST PITS OF D&D

EMPOWER MY MAGICKS SO THAT THE GREAT EVIL MAY NEVER AGAIN RETURN

PROTECT US FROM ALL SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS WHO JUSTIFY THE GENOCIDE IN GAZA

AWAKEN THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN GULLED BY THE LIES OF THIS GREAT EVIL AND HARDEN THEIR HEARTS AGAINST IT

LET BALANCE RETURN TO THE WYCCECRAFTE THREAD.

BEGONE FOUL BOATLIB

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

what is wrong with boats? they seem cool imo

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Yep~ I've got plenty of both planned for this weekend.

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

OH SPIRITS, GODS, AND FEY OF CSPAM AND THE INTERNET I INVOKE THEE

HEAR THIS ACOLYTE’S HUMBLE REQUEST AND ACCEPT THESE GIFTS I HAVE SACRIFICED TO THEE

THERE IS A GREAT EVIL THAT BEDEVILS ME. THE FORM OF THIS EVIL IS THAT OF A BOAT RETARD.

SEND THIS GREAT EVIL AWAY FROM ME AND CSPAM AND BACK TO THE LOWEST PITS OF D&D

EMPOWER MY MAGICKS SO THAT THE GREAT EVIL MAY NEVER AGAIN RETURN

PROTECT US FROM ALL SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS WHO JUSTIFY THE GENOCIDE IN GAZA

AWAKEN THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN GULLED BY THE LIES OF THIS GREAT EVIL AND HARDEN THEIR HEARTS AGAINST IT

LET BALANCE RETURN TO THE WYCCECRAFTE THREAD.

BEGONE FOUL BOATLIB
I confess I'm also confused about this much hatred for boats, I've always found them pretty cool. To look at, if not be on. They do make me seasick sometimes. But I appreciate the enthusiasm and power of your words, plus the request for protection from genocide-justifiers, so I'm in. I'll add my power to this anti-boat rite. :love:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the suez canal boat was a cspammer, please dont invoke the wrath of the divine against fellow goons

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Be careful too with your verbal components of any sort of effective ritual work. For example, BRD already disavowed any fondness for "boats" so the sympathetic link there is tenuous. You don't want to accidentally banish anyone with an appreciation for boats from the thread, boats are very mythologically important. Charon has a boat. Nemty has a boat. Ninurta has a boat. Many people depend on celestial ferrymen, and their associated boats

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Book of Coming Forth By Day, Spell 125 posted:

I have given bread to the hungry, and water to the thirsty, clothes to the naked and a boat to him who was boatless.

https://www.purplemotes.net/2011/10/02/weighing-the-heart-for-the-poor posted:

Including the boatless among the poor may not be merely an ancient Egyptian idiosyncrasy. An ancient Jewish song praising the Lord in times of trouble described persons hungry, thirsty, in prison, sick, and persons doing business on boats caught in storms.[5] Like being boatless, doing business on boats caught in storms seems less universally relevant than being hungry, thirsty, in prison, or sick. However, the ancient Egyptians understood boats to be the vehicles by which gods traveled across the sky and through the underworld. Persons could aspire to voyage with a god in the afterworld, and they worried about evil forces carrying them away in a boat:

quote:

may a place be made for me in the solar bark on the day when the god ferries across

quote:

let me not be carried away in a boat, or be seized violently and taken to the East [6]

Perhaps boats gained more universal significance through their association with the realm of the gods and after-worldly travel.

https://www.purplemotes.net/2011/10/02/weighing-the-heart-for-the-poor posted:

[6] Introductory Hymn to the Sun-God Re and Spell 93. The first is trans. Faulkner (1985) p. 27. The second is from the Budge’s translation of the Papyrus of Ani. That translation more clearly conveys the concern about the boat. Boats figure in many spells in the Book of the Dead.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

there are five distinct types of Boat, of which ships are one. i will exclusively use fictional spacecraft to illustrate

there are Ferries, which serve to toot a character around from adventure to adventure. video game spaceships are this a lot of the time: you dont care that much about the blue falcon or the pleasingly bulbous thing samus aran flies around, but you know they exist because they let the game happen. i guess the tardis is this a lot of the time. rowboats and shuttles. the scale of quiet reflection or a personal conversation

there are Fighter Planes, which are fighter planes. starfuries, colonial vipers, arwings, etc. common af because most space opera was created in the 20th century

there are Houses, which are also trucks and yachts. it can carry a small ensemble of heroes around, and you want the interior to feel like a space that would be livable. the millennium falcon; but sizable things like the liberator or moya often are, functionally, large houses

there are Ships, which have full communities aboard. they function like something on the scale between a small town and a comic book city, and have multiple distinct interior spaces that you use in distinct narrative circumstances. the enterprise.

there are Worlds, which are anything big enough that you will never, ever really know what the whole interior is like, and which have like an entire society on them. usually a place you go to—if it goes to somewhere, well, big day for that somewhere. technically-mobile space stations, peacekeeper command carrier, gsv

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Squizzle posted:

there are five distinct types of Boat, of which ships are one. i will exclusively use fictional spacecraft to illustrate

there are Ferries, which serve to toot a character around from adventure to adventure. video game spaceships are this a lot of the time: you dont care that much about the blue falcon or the pleasingly bulbous thing samus aran flies around, but you know they exist because they let the game happen. i guess the tardis is this a lot of the time. rowboats and shuttles. the scale of quiet reflection or a personal conversation

there are Fighter Planes, which are fighter planes. starfuries, colonial vipers, arwings, etc. common af because most space opera was created in the 20th century

there are Houses, which are also trucks and yachts. it can carry a small ensemble of heroes around, and you want the interior to feel like a space that would be livable. the millennium falcon; but sizable things like the liberator or moya often are, functionally, large houses

there are Ships, which have full communities aboard. they function like something on the scale between a small town and a comic book city, and have multiple distinct interior spaces that you use in distinct narrative circumstances. the enterprise.

there are Worlds, which are anything big enough that you will never, ever really know what the whole interior is like, and which have like an entire society on them. usually a place you go to—if it goes to somewhere, well, big day for that somewhere. technically-mobile space stations, peacekeeper command carrier, gsv

the ferry-fighter distinction is very fluid in storytelling which i think is interesting. we love the p-51 mustang so much that we require its new fictional proxies to fill all the roles of the noble steed

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the Ferry is a kinda fundamental narrative unit: a way to make transit as eventful (or expository) as the story needs. like aboard the enterprise, the turbolift acts as an internal ferry where characters can engage in private interaction during travel between ship-baed settings. the fighter, when present, can fill the need; and the need is v often present

its more interesting imo when the ferry acts like a fighter. a lot of car chases are basically dogfights in their beats

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Squizzle posted:

treeships like the Yggdrasil in hyperion

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Have you actually played F-Zero because the blue falcon is not a spaceship, Captain Falcon's actual spaceship is completely seperate, the Blue Falcon is a race car and the thing that Captain Falcon himself is in practice an accessory to

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Orbs posted:

Yep~ I've got plenty of both planned for this weekend.

I confess I'm also confused about this much hatred for boats, I've always found them pretty cool. To look at, if not be on. They do make me seasick sometimes. But I appreciate the enthusiasm and power of your words, plus the request for protection from genocide-justifiers, so I'm in. I'll add my power to this anti-boat rite. :love:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Be careful too with your verbal components of any sort of effective ritual work. For example, BRD already disavowed any fondness for "boats" so the sympathetic link there is tenuous. You don't want to accidentally banish anyone with an appreciation for boats from the thread, boats are very mythologically important. Charon has a boat. Nemty has a boat. Ninurta has a boat. Many people depend on celestial ferrymen, and their associated boats

Thanks for support and advice. I have reconfigured the wards to whitelist most boat related things. This is my first dabbling with abjuration, so I am learning as I go.

👁️ (Apotropaic emoji to ward off evil 👿)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you actually played F-Zero because the blue falcon is not a spaceship, Captain Falcon's actual spaceship is completely seperate, the Blue Falcon is a race car and the thing that Captain Falcon himself is in practice an accessory to

i was mixing it up w the falcon flyer because a man named captain falcon who uses the falcon flyer to transport the blue falcon to places he can use his falcon punch against blood falcon is too much falconry for my brain to reliäbly sort

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Row, row, row your boat

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Squizzle posted:

i was mixing it up w the falcon flyer because a man named captain falcon who uses the falcon flyer to transport the blue falcon to places he can use his falcon punch against blood falcon is too much falconry for my brain to reliäbly sort

this is a clear demonstration of your spiritual weakness

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/yungkalez/status/1686502158512926721?t=_c2LCp2A_QCzF03HBgC--w&s=19
https://twitter.com/yungkalez/status/1686502177441767424?t=sCmoJHtdJMi5Gy_oLInSjw&s=19
https://twitter.com/yungkalez/status/1686502187327746048?t=1RgaPJFhJgX2icxbmKISIQ&s=19

New astrologist called shot turned oracle. Peep the posted date.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

BRD, like Paul, is here as a friend and guest

He helps to answer important theological questions for me

Such as, might the Logos also enjoy a chicken sandwich?

he also thinks nakba 2 is hamas' fault. he can gently caress out of cspam forever.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It was known well before the attacks in October 23 that Isreal always overreacts to an extreme degree. They knew before doing the attacks on the scale they did in Oct that the overreaction from Isreal would be extremely bad for everybody in Gaza. They might not have realized it would be genocide bad.

The Saudi’s / Egypt normalizing with Israel would have been an existential problem for Hamas as a group and that’s probably why it all happened.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dixon Chisholm posted:

he also thinks nakba 2 is hamas' fault. he can gently caress out of cspam forever.

:whitewater:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

tristeham doesn’t like that I think support of Donald Trump is support of fascism and then thinks that’s an appropriate to do about it.

to be fair it is a conclusion about Trump that is directly resulting from my love of Tillich.

shut the gently caress up.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

BRD, like Paul, is here as a friend and guest

sorry. invitation revoked.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Bar Ran Dun posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:pwn:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I followed the provided quote back through to D&D because knowing the thinkers, ethical and religious, for whom he expresses respect and understanding I am really suprised by the idea he would perceive the current genocide of the Palestinian people, committed and perpetuated by Zionist entity known as Israel and being fully materially, psychologically, and unjustifiably supported by the entity of the United States government and its allies as being the fault of anyone but those entities. Having read his thoughts as expressed in that thread I do not think that you are correctly communicating what he meant to be himself communicating; but I will also not put in work to defend him further in this regard as it stands, because I am not him and only know the aspects of him which I am allowed to witness here, online; and furthermore the pier is loving stupid and is clearly succeeding in distracting the well-intentioned into responding to "America is doing nothing to stop this" with "well we are building a pier for aid" when instead what we should be doing at the very least is simply stop sending "Israel" motherfucking bombs.

:amen:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

this isn't the palestine thread and it definitely isn't usce. if it becomes either it will be gassed very quickly, and it will not rise within 3 days in fulfillment of the scriptures

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
lets end this dicussion with a prayer

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:hai:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
praying for a free palestine 🇵🇸

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

typical leftist, wanting everything to be free

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

My wards just got ten feet taller

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sentry or observer?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

makin wishes

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/yungkalez/status/1787317748483191290?t=gP5mr9nBCxm8YppHAO0R9A&s=19

I am clearing my calendar for the upcoming celestial event.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Today I want to talk about Nemty.

Nemty, as detail-oriented readers will remember, is a celestial ferryman. He is a very old Deity, with attestations that go all the way back to Egypt's second dynasty. His name means "the traveler" or "the wanderer," but that was not always the case. In those earliest attestations, Nemty was called "Anty", which is translated as "with claws."

Nemty was typically depicted as a hawk or falcon, or sometimes, as seen above, as a hawk-headed man. In either case he was represented on a boat, the crescent shape of which is reminiscent of the moon; with this boat he transversed the sky-channels of the Winding Waterway -- the ecliptic -- and along with being patron Deity of the 12th nome of Upper Egypt he was ferryman to his fellow Gods. While this may seem like menial work to us, remember: "a boat for the boatless." Ferrymen are a necessary, valuable part of society – any society -- for those who cannot always provide their own transportation. And, of course, as in all things: as above, so below. As below, so above.

Early myth demonstrates an intriguing suggestion of Nemty, or Anty, once having been closely synchronous with – or simply at times confused with – the much more enduring Deity Heru, or Horus; but the myth we have today in which Nemty plays his most prominent named role is the famous "Contendings of Horus and Set," in which Nemty is very clearly his own entity. The story of the Contendings is one of the longest and most famous tales in Egyptian mythology. It takes place after the death of the King of the Gods and thus also of Egypt: Osiris. In his absence, his brother Set has taken the throne, but Osiris's son Horus has now come of age and is the rightful heir – and so here begin the Contendings, the tale of an eighty year court case wherein the two Deities vie for the lawful bestowing of the crown. The most famous Egyptian myth is about eighty years of litigation, you say?! And I say again: as above, so below. Egyptian mythology has much more in common with fable and parable than the Greek traditions of tragedy and heroism many people think of in association with the word "mythology." There are important morals to be found in most all of them.

At the time when Nemty has relevance to the story, the debate over kingship has already been waging for decades. Most of the Gods in assembly are willing to return Egypt to the heir and rightful future king, Horus. However, the Supreme Deity – Ra – is old and tired; he appreciates the job Set has been doing in governing the country and sees no reason to upset this applecart. So far as he is concerned, Set's clear experience and steady hand at the wheel make him a far more capable and competent leader than the unproven young Horus, even if the throne is his by right. It doesn't really matter that most of the other Gods are on Team Horus; Ra isn't, and as Supreme Deity the final word is always to be his. But Horus – supported by his mother Isis – feels it is time to return the throne to the proper lineage of succession, and they are not ready to let this go. An assemblage is called, once again, to debate the matter and title of King.

Now this time around the Council of the Gods convenes on an island, one called in translated myth Tindion -- theorized by some sources to be in the original language Ta-Anty, "Place of Anty" -- or "the Island-in-the-Middle." There is exactly one reason for this: so that Isis, mother of Horus, widow of Osiris, Goddess of magic and many other things, greatly respected among all those who might consider themselves her peers, may not attend. Infuriated by the way her eloquence and good standing among the Gods are among the influences which lead them to side with the young Horus over himself, Set objects to her presence on the island for the hearing and his ally the Supreme Deity agrees. Anty, or Nemty, the ferryman, dutifully provides transport to each Deity in need of such services so that they may reach the island council; but Ra instructs him not to ferry over anyone who matches the description of the God Isis.

Now Isis, of course, is not having this. In the guise of an old woman she comes to Anty and asks for passage to the Island-in-the-Middle. She does not match the description of Isis, but Anty is suspicious regardless. Shouldn't everyone who has business on the isle, be on the isle already? The old woman says she is bringing a bowlful of flour to a cattleherd on the island, who has been there for several days tending his beasts and is hungry. Anty is uncertain. The woman offers him a cake for his services; he refuses. But the old woman is determined, and so she makes him another offer: the gold signet ring she wears on one finger. This, now, is an offer too tempting to refuse, and after all his orders were not to provide transport for anyone who looked like Isis, which this hunched old woman does not; and so the ferryman ferries the woman across the waters to the Council of the Gods upon the Island-in-the-Middle.

Once safely across the waters, and out of sight of any other Gods, Isis changes her form again: from a wizened old woman to one who is young and beautiful. She catches the attention of Set, feasting in the Great Hall with the other Gods prior to the meeting of the tribunal; he follows her outside.

Isis tells Set that she is here on this island in search of a champion. She tells him that she had been the wife of a herdsman; she had borne him a son, but when her husband died her son had been left alone to tend to the cattle. A stranger came and settled in their stable. He threatened to beat the son, confiscate his cattle, and evict him. Isis asks him his opinion of these events, and what he would do if he were to be her protector. Set, enraptured by this beautiful woman and her tale, does not hesitate: "Are the cattle to be given to the stranger even while the man’s son is still about?"

Edward Karshner posted:

Isis then reveals herself and admonishes Seth, saying “Be ashamed of yourself! It is your own mouth that has said it. It is your own cleverness that has judged you” (Wente 2003, 96). Isis shows that Seth’s mouth has expressed ethical knowing and, consequently, justified him.

That ethical knowing is called ma'at in the Egyptian.

Edward Karshner posted:

“The Contendings of Horus and Seth” illustrates that maat is the natural consequence of reasoned thought. It actually takes effort and planning to distract one’s self and others from the reality of ethical justice. [...] When distracted from his own subjective position, even Seth responds with maat. The point of the story is clear. We cannot alter [what is right] with the clever arrangement of words. Although humans possess, through reasoned speech, the power to create possibilities and explore them, these alternate views are not maat.

Furious at the trick, Set runs to tell the Supreme Deity what has transpired, but in this now even his staunchest ally is forced to turn against him. Ma'at has been expressed with his own words, by his own tongue; there is nothing more to be said. Horus is the rightful king of Egypt, justified.

But wait! You say. Isn't this part of the story about Nemty? Is that the only role he played here -- admittedly a pivotal one -- bringing Isis to the island after she was unfairly forbidden?

Well, yes and no. For disobeying the orders of the Supreme Deity; making a fool of both him and his favored candidate for kingship; accepting a golden bribe which bypassed what might otherwise have been his wiser nature; Anty the ferryman was dragged before the council and his toes were severed. No longer would he be the one "with claws." Even aboard his own boat, the ferryman would never again be able to perch nor settle in at rest. Crippled and humiliated, and yet still ever mobile, ever dutiful, he is "the wanderer."

Nemty is somewhat unique among the Gods in that his cult centers eschewed gold in his statues and monuments in favor of silver -- the God declared, per one translation, "Gold shall be an abomination to me in my town!" and that gold signet ring is one of the mythological reasons provided. The preference for silver also underscores the lunar associations suggested in his crescent-shaped boat; and they are suggested, for which celestial object is it that travels the sky more regularly, and yet with more natural, predictable variation, than the moon? The Coffin Texts make reference to the wanderer's ecliptic in spell 473: "I have glittered as Nemty on its middle, I have glittered as Nemty on its top."

I have a great fondness for Nemty. His transport of Isis to the island was unquestionably the right thing to do, despite his orders to the contrary; he transgressed those orders of his superior, knowing or unknowing, but what he did was enable revelation of truth, dispensation of justice, fruition of ma'at. The world we live in is one where, sometimes, we choose to do the right thing; and then after doing the right thing we are punished for it by those who would quell what is right for, instead, their own desires. And that is not fair, or right, but it happens; and it happens below just as it happens above. We are all just birds on boats. Trying to be better; trying to do better; trying to help others. We cannot stop trying to do what is right for fear of retaliation by those who are wrong. In some localizations, Nemty is associated with death, rebirth, and regeneration; like the moon, like his own silver bones. If they take our claws, we find new ways to exist as ourselves. We travel. We wander. We heal and endure. We glitter in the sky, justified.

We carry on. We ferry on. What else can we do?

Thanks for coming to my Nemty talk. :lovebird:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Here are some additional Nemty facts. You aren't going to find these facts anywhere else on the Internet. It's possible that I've made some of them up.

• Nemty really likes oranges -- not the color, but the fruit.
  • Nemty also likes turquoise -- not the stone, but the color.
  • He does not like orange the color, nor turquoise the stone.
  • Some Deities can be characterized as sociable, or even chatty. Nemty is neither.
  • But he's a hard worker, who takes his job very seriously.
  • He likes finely woven cloth. It doesn't need to be fancy, or expensive; what matters is the craftsmanship.
  • He likes linen best.
  • He might like satin least.
  • He likes raw wood, and also woody scents: frankincense, palo santo, sandalwood.
  • He likes crows. There are no Egyptian Crow Gods, but I think if he did it again he might choose to be the first, and associate himself with crows rather than hawks.
  • He likes Astarte.
  • He does not like Set.
  • I don't know who he would play in Super Smash Brothers. I was going to say Sonic, because he's blue, and always on the move. But those gold rings might be a problem...

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
so is this why you like birds so much

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Nemty

He/Him Gay/Trans (Omega)
- Autistic
- Really likes oranges
- In a polycule with Joe, Donald, and Astarte
- Has a crush on Thoth but is too shy to say anything

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ohtori Akio posted:

so is this why you like birds so much

I see why you'd think that, but actually liking birds happened first

"Whoa! Those are some cool birds!" said eight year old LAB, seeing a book on ancient Egypt at the library for the first time and having no idea what all she's about to be in for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Nemty

He/Him Gay/Trans (Omega)
- Autistic
- Really likes oranges
- In a polycule with Joe, Donald, and Astarte