Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
code:
standard_equipment.odt

[B] [U] [/]

Standard Equipment - 64 Tel x 50 -> 3,200 Tel
Gambeson - 11 Tel
Heavy Cloak - 4 Tel
Leather helmet - 2 Tel
Fur gloves - 3 Tel
Leather Boots - 2 Tel
Knife - 3 Tel
Heavy-Duty Pack - 3 Tel
Spear - 3 Tel
Sword - 4 Tel
Shield - 2 Tel
Bow - 4 Tel
Arrows - 3 Tel
Misc. Stipend - 20 Tel
this is the first and main thing I remember about delve, the blue boxes in .odt format and the include headers and poo poo.

I also dropped it because it was too boring for me, but the boxes made me laugh enough to keep going a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

did he finally fix his own soul / get out of his own head

because that was a real "are they still on Namek" situation

then again I'm salty because the author dropped the "even before the mighty lost culture there were isekai'd roman ruins" and then just did nothing with it

The soul surgery never really ends, but he definitely fixed himself. The story also dealt very deftly with some internal time dilation where the protag turns his soul in to factorio/computronium. Like got it all over with in a single chapter.

Big stuff is happening, but as always step by step. I think the big hiatus has been in part just to figure out where exactly the story is heading. It certainly feels like the author has written themselves into a massive Dragon Ball-style combat corner too early.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ivil Antagonist

Yet another story by RavensDagger, with all of the RavensDagger tropes. Cute anime-ish girls, check. Lesbians, check. Harem collection, check, literally in this case.

The world is "Expanse-style solar system space opera, but there are xianxia cores that give people superpowers" and the MC, who is kind of a cross between Honor Harrington and not-really-evil-but-very-powerful-and-intimidating Darth Vader, is so cored-up she can stroll into a pirate station and casually dismantle it and all of its inhabitants with her mind, without actually physically moving a pinky. This makes her one of the three Emperors of the Solar System, because when someone is that powerful might as well put them in charge before they decide they want to be charge.

So what does the most powerful woman in the Human Space want? She wants True Love. So at the start of the story she goes to an oracle (cores that give magic powers, remember?) who tells her "ok, take a vacation and board this lovely-rear end spaceship undercover and you'll meet your True Love". So she does and there's an issue - there's a whole bunch of attractive eligible candidettes and which one or ones is it?! Mild shenanigans ensue.

As of me writing this the story is still in the "meeting all the harem members" setup stage with hints of the non-romance overarching story. It's fun so far, but it could become an interminable slog as some of RavensDaggers' other stories. I'll follow it for now.

Cultivating Insanity: Xianxia and Strategy

A patriarch of a sect reincarnates in the body of an initiate who dies at the same time as him. His qi pathways are burned out, but he used to be a big boy cultivator, so he knows some stuff. (But surprisingly little, given that he was supposed to be the patriarch there.) Turns out his sect kinda sucks if you're not on top of the hierarchy and everyone's a dick and he has to be ruthless as gently caress to survive and thrive.

The author wanted this to be like Reverend Insanity, so everyone's an rear end in a top hat in a crapsack world, and the MC schemes and perseveres but it's a bit of a drag tbh. Then again, I wasn't into RI either. If you actually like Reverend Insanity, you might like this, I dunno?

The Stubborn Skill-Grinder In A Time Loop

Yeah, this is a bit dumb but fun, like a somewhat better written, funnier Azarinth Healer.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Stubborn skill grinder is just, genuinely, a funny story.

Absolutely everyone's just genuinely frustrated by this dumb as hell kid who's somehow lucked into a formula that with more time to come will see him substantially more powerful than the gods.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

tithin posted:

Stubborn skill grinder is just, genuinely, a funny story.

Absolutely everyone's just genuinely frustrated by this dumb as hell kid who's somehow lucked into a formula that with more time to come will see him substantially more powerful than the gods.

I'm legitimately looking forward to whatever dumb bullshit ability he gets out of his cleaning spree.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I was sad I reached the end and there wasn't anymore. The guy's thicker than two planks of wood slapped together, but he's not stupid.

Haystack posted:

I'm legitimately looking forward to whatever dumb bullshit ability he gets out of his cleaning spree.

What is cleaning but applied eradication?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wittgen posted:

It looks like Arcs posted the first 120k words of what might be his next story today. Epilogue 3 to come later.

I'm about halfway through this so far and liking it a lot

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

cumpantry posted:

imagine making GBS threads on this media diet

As someone who wrote a fiction with a rationalist/EA as the MC, there's an audience there. But also it's a cultivation novel so- also terrible skyscraper sized enemies. Jess, the MC of Sect Leader isn't a particularly good rationalist. (Also Sect Leader is complete, so yeah, enjoy as I take forever to finish the edits for publishing)

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
hmm, memories of the fall is updating. I’m excited and confident that updates will continue and it will not go on hiatus for multiple years again

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Just read and enjoyed Super Minion. I hate getting to the end of something and finding it's dead, somehow feels much worse then all the stories that I get to the end and they're still updating and then I never get around to catching up on them.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 5, 2024

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
It is frustrating. I still occasionally check to see if Super Minion, Arrogant Young Master Template A Variation 4, or Castle Kingside ever update...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Haystack posted:

My first thought was he'll clean the Blessings off his soul

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Bremen posted:

The Years of Apocalypse - A Timeloop Progression Fantasy: This story is Mother of Learning. Well, not literally, the characters are different, the plot is (probably) different, the.... uh, the title is much more generic? But it's still about a student at a mage school who witnesses their school being destroyed by a surprise military attack and then wakes up a month later, over and over.
However, it still works surprisingly well. There's a lot you can do within the framework of a time loop story about trying to save a magic school that Mother of Learning didn't already do, and this story is pretty well written for all that it's apparently a new author. The reveals about the overarching plot are interesting, the characters are fun, the occasional action scenes are well written and keep the tension at a good level. Definitely my favorite story I've read recently and I'll probably be subscribing to the patreon; recommended for anyone that enjoyed Mother of Learning and would like to read more like it, especially if it's been long enough since reading MoL that the similarities won't bring things down. And even though it's only three months old, there's a lot of it and it's getting released fast; either the author already pre-wrote much of it or they have the writing pace of pirateaba.

I'd noticed this but had been skipping over it because I had automatically assumed it was a LitRPG blue box fiesta. It absolutely isn't. Not even halfway in but it's scratching the MoL itch pretty well!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks for the recommendation for The Years of Apocalypse - A Timeloop Progression Fantasy. I've been really enjoying it! The magic system is interesting but since it relies on components and tools the MC can't bring through the loop I wonder how the author will handle getting the MC the higher-tier spell components and glyphs they'll need later.

The Lone Badger posted:

Just read and enjoyed Super Minion. I hate getting to the end of something and finding it's dead, somehow feels much worse then all the stories that I get to the end and they're still updating and then I never get around to catching up on them.

Yeah, it's great. Shame that someone copied it and was selling it on Amazon without telling the author. That must have been so upsetting.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LLSix posted:

Thanks for the recommendation for The Years of Apocalypse - A Timeloop Progression Fantasy. I've been really enjoying it! The magic system is interesting but since it relies on components and tools the MC can't bring through the loop I wonder how the author will handle getting the MC the higher-tier spell components and glyphs they'll need later.

Yeah, it's great. Shame that someone copied it and was selling it on Amazon without telling the author. That must have been so upsetting.

Well, there is raw spellcasting, the MC just hates it. But her mentor is demanding she practice it and there's a sentence where she wonders if you can raw spellcast a gravity spell, so I'm guessing over time she'll get quite good with it.

Also the most standard form of spellcasting seems to just require writing a spell in a spellbook, which she can memorize and duplicate pretty quick, it's just slower to cast that way. Making a wand/rod/orb to cast a spell takes time, but is also a skill she already has and is rapidly improving in as she loops.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Bremen posted:

Also the most standard form of spellcasting seems to just require writing a spell in a spellbook, which she can memorize and duplicate pretty quick, it's just slower to cast that way. Making a wand/rod/orb to cast a spell takes time, but is also a skill she already has and is rapidly improving in as she loops.

It requires writing the glyphs with special magic-ink (the school sells it "in bulk" but still). You also (sometimes? the story doesn't go into the details about the mechanics and since multiple spells can use the same organ I'm not sure how real the need is) need a magical animal "organ" to channel spells through. Spellbooks usually have a compatible one in the spine. Wands and rods (there are only 2 rods I've seen so far) have a magic organ in them too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

My first thought was he'll clean the Blessings off his soul

admittedly that wasn't very hard to guess

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Vein Cutter is a strange name for Arcs' new serial, and I guess it's a superhero thing weirdly enough. Anyone plowed through the patreon origin story and have any thoughts on it? I'm super burnt out on capeshit otherwise I'd just dive in since Ar'K is one of my webserial GOAT.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

shirunei posted:

Vein Cutter is a strange name for Arcs' new serial, and I guess it's a superhero thing weirdly enough. Anyone plowed through the patreon origin story and have any thoughts on it? I'm super burnt out on capeshit otherwise I'd just dive in since Ar'K is one of my webserial GOAT.

I like it a lot! It's not really a superhero thing so far at all, it's more of the system apocalypse genre of web serials, but in the same way that Ar'Kendrithyst is a LitRPG in that it takes the basic idea and does a lot more worldbuilding and character focused stuff than is typical for the genre. Reminds me a lot of Super Supportive too

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 6, 2024

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
It's very much in the Ar'K vein, where the focus isn't on the conventional heroism so much as the world those things are happening in. If the main character ever actually interacts with "superhero society" in that story then I expect it'll be more about favor-trading and accumulating resources rather than spending a prolonged period at street level. He's got goals and punching minor villains won't get him there.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Years of apocalypse is very fun. Its obviously a copy of MoL but competently done.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The Writathon's over and there's some pretty good stuff on the list with no views or followers.
https://www.royalroad.com/fictions/writathon/6

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

All caught up on Years of apocalypse. I enjoyed it and am going to keep following it. Thank you for the recommendation.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

The Writathon's over and there's some pretty good stuff on the list with no views or followers.
https://www.royalroad.com/fictions/writathon/6

There's fifteen pages of links there. Any specific recs?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I accidently deleted the bookmark to one of my serials and I can't remember the story. It is a world where everything is frozen and humans and machines are locked in a war, where the only nice areas for humans to live are underground. It follows a protagonist named Keith. I know it was posted about in here before.
It is driving me crazy that I can't remember the name of the story.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
12 miles below

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Love that series, really unique worldbuilding.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
So like the outside bits of the matrix?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Honestly, it's closest to Neir: Automata, setting-wise.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The humans are all dead in Nier though?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I binged through The Years of Apocalypse and am also enjoying it a lot. Holy poo poo, what a cliffhanger on the latest public chapter.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

:madmax:

Thanks for the kind words! For the record, I pre-wrote about 20k, and have been pounding my face against the keyboard as fast as I can to write the other 160k. I wouldn't quite put myself at pirateaba levels of writing insanity, though. And yes, the story is very obviously inspired by MoL.

Congratulations on the first MOL-like worth a drat. I hope you stick the landing better than it did!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nitrousoxide posted:

The humans are all dead in Nier though?
technically they're still alive in the first Nier, kind of, sort of

at least assuming I didn't forget all the plot twists in that game

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Tower of Somnus getting into xenoanthropology: “Thank you,” Dorrik responded thoughtfully, “but I do not want to circumvent the rules even if my relationship with Miss Kat were to allow me to do so. Maybe if my drones were to announce their presence right before the parties were to begin copulation? I believe a speaker alerting the participants that their actions were being logged and observed should be sufficient to establish informed consent.”

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Holy poo poo that one's still going? I haven't thought about it in forever.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
There was a long hiatus and so it dropped of my radar as well. I did enjoy it though so I'm glad it's back.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It came back a month or so ago, but book 4 was scheduled on Amazon so they blazed through updates (daily?) for a bit then took those chapters back down.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The Years of Apocalypse patreon really shocked me with how Zorian most certainly did not (patreon spoiler) offer to pay his classmates in sexual favours. That's definitely not something that happened in MOL I'll give the author that.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

gonadic io posted:

The Years of Apocalypse patreon really shocked me with how Zorian most certainly did not (patreon spoiler) offer to pay his classmates in sexual favours. That's definitely not something that happened in MOL I'll give the author that.

It’s very funny to imagine Zorian doing that, however

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

technically they're still alive in the first Nier, kind of, sort of

at least assuming I didn't forget all the plot twists in that game

For given values of ‘alive’. And ‘human’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

nrook posted:

It’s very funny to imagine Zorian doing that, however

Trying to do that.