Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

P3 merciless is definitely harder than P5R hard because the latter multiplies not just the damage you take but also the damage you inflict when hitting elemental weaknesses. P3 merciless you just take more damage. Also eventually in P5R you're going to unlock a million link bonuses plus the ability to summon persona well above your level (honestly a welcome change even if it does trivialize the game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I think my biggest issue is that bosses seem to have way too much loving health. I just did the September electric boss thing, and it took ages to kill. The most I could hit for was around like 300-400 with crits, and that was still only a tiny sliver of its health.

It's weird, a lot of games (especially RPGs) do that, ie: turn bosses into tedious damage sponges as a big part of their hardest modes. I find myself wondering, "Does anybody actually LIKE this?" I'm certainly not a fan, but someone must be. It's one thing when you're fighting a superboss and they have a lot of HP but they also have other gimmicks to keep you on your toes. It's another thing when it's just kind of a regular boss that you have to spend 20+ minutes on.

\/\/\/yeah exactly\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 28, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
If the boss being durable actually does add to the difficulty, such as you need to kill him before your ability to outlast its damage fails you, I think it can be an interesting challenge in figuring out how to maximize your damage output and conserve your resources. If it just results in you having to wail on the enemy for an extra 10 minutes with no more thought put into it, it’s not really hard it’s just annoying.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Question to those who played Eternal Punishment's PSP port: Is there some kind of glitch with the stat Source accessories? I had Lucky Sources equipped to the entire party and ended a fight with everyone leveling up. While everyone else got the appropriate Luck stat bonus, Maya never got it for some reason. I tried reloading the game and equipping it on/off, but she never gets the bonus stat at all. Could this be a bug in the PSP port itself, or is it a glitch somehow caused by the translation patch?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
P5 was my first persona game and I loved it so much. I just finished playing P3R, P4G, and P5R back to back and P5R is definitely the weakest of the three for me. I still love it, but P4G and P3R just hit different.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I might be the only person in the world who didn’t start with P5 (I started with Revelations Persona before I knew what an SMT was) but who likes that one the best. Couldn’t tell ya why but I guess I’m a weird mutant.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think I might be the only person in the world who didn’t start with P5 (I started with Revelations Persona before I knew what an SMT was) but who likes that one the best. Couldn’t tell ya why but I guess I’m a weird mutant.

I started with 3 and 5 is my favorite one. It’s gameplay is just so smooth to me in a way that kept me playing.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yeah, as someone who played the games as they came out, it really is a wildly different experience in terms of tone and story. It's probably why 2 remains my favorite in terms of plot and characters.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I didn't start playing Persona until after P5 was out, but being a weirdo freak about these sort of things, my interest in P5 meant making myself go play P3FES and P4G (then Arena, Ultimax, and DAN), back-to-back-to-back, followed immediately by P5. That was a very anime-filled six months.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

I started MegaTen in general with Strange Journey and Persona with 3 FES.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Okay, did a lot of searching around about the bug in EP where Maya doesn't get stat bonuses from the Source accessories and it's apparently got something to do with the translation patch. The people who made the patch mentioned that they found the source of the bug, but didn't bother posting what caused it or how to fix it. They also said they wanted to wait until other people reported a bunch of bugs to them so they can make a big final patch update....but this was back in 2022 and they haven't done anything of the sort at all, so lmao. It does seem like the patch causes a lot of problems in general, like the Legendary Weapons transforming back to base form after each fight. There's also a bug if you're playing this on an actual PSP where the game freezes while in the Velvet Room, which is apparently because of the "This patch was made by us" watermark they inserted when booting up the game that's causing memory leaks.

I guess I can push through with the game, but finding out the patch is unstable is a huge momentum-killer. Especially with the drama of how the people who made this patch by inserting the PSX script (which had a really rough translation, especially around mid-game) had sniped the translation project from another group who was translating EP from the ground up.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my first Megami Tensei was Revelations: Persona, and then Revelations: The Demon Slayer, but only because Im a little baby with eyes too sensitive for viewing Jack Bros. in all its glory.... and for some reason I never owned a Sega Dreamcast for Maken X, one of the most epic fail and ftl descisions of my young life :gonk:

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Every day's great at your Junes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For P3R: did they rewrite the Moon social link or am I just more empathetic now than I was in 2007? I can't help but feel awful for this kid.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

To my knowledge there are no changes, or least no major changes, for the script of that link. I do think voice acting for these does help accentuate the vibe that they were going for.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the voice acting also changes how some of the social links come across.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are fairly minor changes all over the place in the Reload Links (mainly inserted lines, from what I've seen). They don't really change my estimation of a lot of them but they're there.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

The music slaps so hard, so I’d guess that’s part of it.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

amigolupus posted:

Okay, did a lot of searching around about the bug in EP where Maya doesn't get stat bonuses from the Source accessories and it's apparently got something to do with the translation patch. The people who made the patch mentioned that they found the source of the bug, but didn't bother posting what caused it or how to fix it. They also said they wanted to wait until other people reported a bunch of bugs to them so they can make a big final patch update....but this was back in 2022 and they haven't done anything of the sort at all, so lmao. It does seem like the patch causes a lot of problems in general, like the Legendary Weapons transforming back to base form after each fight. There's also a bug if you're playing this on an actual PSP where the game freezes while in the Velvet Room, which is apparently because of the "This patch was made by us" watermark they inserted when booting up the game that's causing memory leaks.

I guess I can push through with the game, but finding out the patch is unstable is a huge momentum-killer. Especially with the drama of how the people who made this patch by inserting the PSX script (which had a really rough translation, especially around mid-game) had sniped the translation project from another group who was translating EP from the ground up.

woah thats p gnarly... the last comments on those from the patch maker were from last year at least so hopefully they get around to putting out a version without the bugs soon 🙏

was the cj patch going to be a fresh tl? i thought they were also pretty clear it'd just be the ps1 tl with some tweaks

edit: oh maybe u could shoot the project lead an email or smth about the bugs? it might help

Booky fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 4, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

I think the voice acting also changes how some of the social links come across.

Nozomi's new portraits also help a lot I think since they go from 'angry fat kid' to 'just kinda pathetic but you don't want to punch it' face.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Nothing can save the gourmet king.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I never actually went through the FemMC route besides maybe the first month or so; how much better are the new social links in comparison to the old ones?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

a lot

(except Justice for, uh, obvious reasons)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Justice is okay if you DON'T DATE THE KID. Like it overshadows everything else about the link but if you ignore it exists then it's kind of just a SL about a kid trying to force himself to grow up too fast and there's a forced non-rank up event where you take him to That Back Alley and it's kinda nice.

But nope, Atlus had to ruin it by putting that option in.

But yeah, FeMC links are good, Saori's is a bit depressing but fine, and they kept the most important ones from Male MC in (Akinari and Bebe).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Basically all of the bad links are gone, replaced with better links. That alone makes the feMC have better links.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only thing to know about the FeMC SLs is that Shinji and Ryoji both require fairly exacting schedules to max. Shinji might have one day of leeway (or possibly not even that) and Ryoji straight-up has zero non-mandatory events, including Sunday events, which are optional for every other character.

e: also if you want to date Akihiko there's a trap option in his SL that can lock you out of it

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I do feel like the Moon link does end on a genuine high note that does make you think a little bit. In the grand scheme of things, Suemitsu is an existentially depressed kid who is eating himself to death and lashes out at the world in bizarre ways because he really doesn't have any power. Helping him realize that, move on, and turn a weakness into a strength is actually pretty interesting. I think he just could have done well to have at least one redeemable trait before you get to that point. I'd actually be really interested to see his reaction to the MC's death since he considered him a surrogate to his deceased brother.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah. If he liked, idk. To buy extra meals to hand out to the homeless so they could eat together or something, that would be appropriately pathetic and underline his loneliness while still being an objective positive thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

The only thing to know about the FeMC SLs is that Shinji and Ryoji both require fairly exacting schedules to max. Shinji might have one day of leeway (or possibly not even that) and Ryoji straight-up has zero non-mandatory events, including Sunday events, which are optional for every other character.

e: also if you want to date Akihiko there's a trap option in his SL that can lock you out of it

Yeah Shinjiro has a day of leeway, from what I remember. Ryoji is pretty locked in though.

One nice thing is also that three of the links get moved to nighttime, which makes them feel less dull (you'll still have more than enough time by the end of the game).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I do feel like the Moon link does end on a genuine high note that does make you think a little bit. In the grand scheme of things, Suemitsu is an existentially depressed kid who is eating himself to death and lashes out at the world in bizarre ways because he really doesn't have any power. Helping him realize that, move on, and turn a weakness into a strength is actually pretty interesting. I think he just could have done well to have at least one redeemable trait before you get to that point. I'd actually be really interested to see his reaction to the MC's death since he considered him a surrogate to his deceased brother.

I think what's making the difference this time around is that maybe the voice acting is selling what I think is Suemitsu's genuine affection for the MC. It's extra clear how he's reaching out and trying so hard to have a friend, and he really, really does care, but his worldview is just so hosed up that his care takes some pretty bizarre and ultimately harmful forms.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

But yeah, FeMC links are good, Saori's is a bit depressing but fine, and they kept the most important ones from Male MC in (Akinari and Bebe).

Oh man, yeah, Saori's story is a heartbreaker but very good imo. Fascinating character that I wish we could spend more time with.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

It's certainly better in the Reload, but I don't think I'll ever like that SL. I get what Atlus is trying to do with his story and I appreciate the idea, but I find his personality too grating, and the pacing's just awful.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 4, 2024

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like it but I'm a kind hearted person. Some may say even jesus-like

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
A Zack Snyder-type Christ-figure, even?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P3 and P4 had a good batch of links with no 'everything is solved' solution (Saori, Akinari, Sayori, etc.). Doesn't really feel like P5 had that, just about everyone's conflict is resolved by the end of their link aside from the story ones.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

P3 and P4 had a good batch of links with no 'everything is solved' solution (Saori, Akinari, Sayori, etc.). Doesn't really feel like P5 had that, just about everyone's conflict is resolved by the end of their link aside from the story ones.

Ohya's felt pretty (purposefully) unresolved. Her former partner is still presumably catatonic. Hifumi's too, to some extent.

Also on a much broader level, as much good as you've done by the end of the game, there's no hiding that Japan's institutions are still irreparably hosed. Shido's party still sweeps the elections, and while Yoshida wins his election, he's still very much a minority voice in the Diet.

e: To me, the tone of P5's denouement is, "Welp, older generations (and we're not gonna say 'capitalism' but you drat well know that's at fault too) have well and truly wrecked this ship. It's up to you, now, younger generations! You've got a long road ahead of you but you can do it!" (lol, lmao)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 5, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Smash the state and destroy all the institutions of the adults, but also uhhhh

uhhhh

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Smash the state and destroy all the institutions of the adults, but also uhhhh

uhhhh

Do your homework, do your laundry, listen to your therapist until after New Years.

\/\/\/yeah, I like that better\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 5, 2024

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Do your homework, do your laundry, listen to your therapist until after New Years.

Still listen to them but realize that they might need some therapy as well.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Sure, the institutions all failed and justice won't actually happen, but you should turn yourself in for that crime you didn't commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Makoto: I'm going to become chief of police to fix the system!

Zenkichi: lol, lmao

Katsuya (probably): LMFAO