Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

repiv posted:

they've adjusted HD2s steam listing so you can't buy it in countries where PSN accounts aren't officially supported

they're really committing to this lol

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1786911313559425082

Your move, Gamers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wait a minute. French Guiana is an integral part of France. The French government will not accept this outrage.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

If only there were a Helldivers thread where people could talk about whatever that game is and how much they love/hate it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I mean, this is also a problem 100% unique to the Steam version of Helldivers 2 so it kind of makes sense to talk about it in the Steam thread too

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I mean, this is also a problem 100% unique to the Steam version of Helldivers 2 so it kind of makes sense to talk about it in the Steam thread too

Yeah, but I don't want to hear about it and this thread is my personal Steam thread :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah can we put the helldiver talk into the helldiver thread? I want to talk about DARK SOULS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Leal posted:

Yeah can we put the helldiver talk into the helldiver thread? I want to talk about DARK SOULS

sorry I'm stuck on the iron golem

in the meantime:

I hate these fuckers, they're so durable and my gimmick is built around healing, not doing dps! .... yet!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what's the learning curve on siralim?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Everyone, I need your assistance: for some godforsaken reason, I'm getting cravings to play Fallout 4 again, thinking stuff like "oh if I try this build out or play this way maybe it'll finally be fun this time" even though I know that's not true because I've tried it many times. I need you to tell me how this is a waste of time, or give me better alternatives. With your power maybe I can suppress the urge.

As a side note, does anyone use the power armor in that game?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wild as this is to say, 76 is a better Fallout game than 4 at this point.

You probably shouldn't really play either but I at least had fun with 76.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

It's like a diablo, you pick what looks good and go through the main story and adjust your team to beat the story challenges as they come up, and work towards a synergy you like. Then you stare in horror as it keeps unfolding, and unfolding, and unfolding....

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FutureCop posted:

Everyone, I need your assistance: for some godforsaken reason, I'm getting cravings to play Fallout 4 again, thinking stuff like "oh if I try this build out or play this way maybe it'll finally be fun this time" even though I know that's not true because I've tried it many times. I need you to tell me how this is a waste of time, or give me better alternatives. With your power maybe I can suppress the urge.

As a side note, does anyone use the power armor in that game?

play 1 and 2 instead

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Orv posted:

Wild as this is to say, 76 is a better Fallout game than 4 at this point.

You probably shouldn't really play either but I at least had fun with 76.

Yeah I feel weird about it but I've been enjoying 76 for the past week or so. Something about it has grabbed me and I'm still trying to figure out why I'm enjoying it more than fallout 4, which I've never clicked with.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cool Dad posted:

Yeah I feel weird about it but I've been enjoying 76 for the past week or so. Something about it has grabbed me and I'm still trying to figure out why I'm enjoying it more than fallout 4, which I've never clicked with.

It's a more interesting map, the various NPC stories are less offensively stupid and the broader RPG mechanics are fun.

Basically what we've learned from the last fifteen years is let other people make Bethesda style games.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 5, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

StrixNebulosa posted:

sorry I'm stuck on the iron golem

Hit the summon for that fight. Tarkus is entirely capable of soloing the Iron Golem.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I replayed all the Fallout games a few months ago and New Vegas is the only good one.

1 & 2 are slow, clunky RPGs with boring quests and flat characters. Vault City -> Gecko is the only interesting part of either of them. People remember that and New Reno but not all the crappy little towns and cross-map fetch quests in-between. 2 also has multiple quest failures that can end with the PC getting raped.
3 has a ridiculous setting and characters (but not in a funny way). Bethesda is obsessed with cramming a generic AAA story into these games. The gameplay is ok. It's Oblivion with guns.
4 has the best companion characters in a Bethesda game, but the main story is still underwhelming and the side content has all been boiled down to completing generic dungeons that refill periodically with enemies.

NV also isn't perfect but it has a great setting and scratches that Bethesda Fallout itch (AKA Oblivion with guns) at least as well as 3 or 4.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Certainly a series of takes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

lih posted:

it should release in early access within the next month or so (given they've said it's launching 'relatively soon'), and will probably spend at least 10 months in early access, since they've said it's going to be at least as far along as hades 1 was when it launched on steam (in december 2019) which was 10 months before the full launch (in september 2020). hades 1 had spent a full year in early access as an epic exclusive before it came to steam so 2's probably not going to spend as long in early access as hades 1 did, but they've said they don't have an exact timeframe so it could be longer than that 10 months.

at the point of the steam launch hades 1 wasn't missing that much compared to the final release, i think there was one olympian who was added after the steam launch, one weapon & some of the weapon aspects, fishing, a bunch of story events, a few enemies, some art, and so on. it's going to be fairly far along, not the sort of more barebones early access where they've only done the first level or whatever.

Cheers! exactly what I was wondering :cheers:

It's alright, I'm just impressed with Hades 1, what a game. Still, no problem waiting for H2, I still haven't even played Baldur's Gate or CyberPunk etc... good times

BTW while I'm here, I really liked Decarnation, weird quirky indie horror story game, very well done for a short story type game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Low skill floor, high skill ceiling. You can delve as deep as you want to. It starts you off pretty slow and unlocks features gradually and then it NEVER STOPS UNLOCKING FEATURES

But if you can read trait text and think 'oo this guy summons a minion, and this other guy, every time HE gets a minion he gives it to everyone else, there is synergy here!' then you can rock Siralim.

Also sometimes you find a rare skin that lets you make your monsters look like something else cute like a funny robot or one of those toy worms that moves on a silk thread.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Ultimately I think actual survival RPGs like Caves of Qud, NEO Scavenger, and Cataclysm DDA scratch the "Fallout" itch for me better than the original games these days. Fallout is basically a traditional RPG with a survival/simulation vibe but no mechanics, but in 2024 the real thing has never been better.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Finished indika. That game is loving weird (positive) and while I didn't see it as "pretending to be a24 elevated horror" I thought it was an interesting enough experience for a couple of sessions. Some bits like one of the chases can be slightly aggravating if you are on the steam deck or a slower computer where you struggle to move fast but otherwise this is recommended for the atmosphere, story and the bizarre magic realism with both cinema and game logic

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

It's like you start out with a simple idea of "I'm going to make a team that doesn't take a lot of damage" and it starts with just collecting some tanky critters and eventually you're ending up stacking debuffs and buffs and ways to limit maximum damage that can be dealt at a time and eking out every drop of additional ways to tack on bonuses like giving all your team a specific tag that all of them buff in various ways (even if none of them have the tag naturally) and farming up the perfect gear to amplify it all and toss on additional blessings and...

...but all the things you keep accruing to the original idea are introduced/required slowly enough that you don't have to worry about all that while you're sticking your toes in.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
when you're trying to make gimmick teams later on it can help to look through an external site with all the pokemans' unique passive traits since there are way too many to ever remember them all on your own but there are tons of cool niche ones that can synergize well with whatever you're trying to do. and eventually you can juggle like 18 traits at once in one team

but yeah no need to do that just to start out, the game starts you off slow and adds more creatures and mechanics gradually over time

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

play 1 and 2 instead

Oh you like chalk? You should try cheese.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Hit the summon for that fight. Tarkus is entirely capable of soloing the Iron Golem.

https://youtu.be/dbHtRggFsNA?si=uxd6QSwgYiK0a-Ek

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I've been replaying Fallout:Tactics and it's still good as hell. Yes it was my first Fallout game and no I will not apologize.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Koburn posted:

Oh you like chalk? You should try cheese.

yeah, cheese is delicious. stop eating chalk!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
As obvious as it seems, I didn't think about checking other Fallouts: New Vegas might be a better way to satisfy my craving than 4, and I can't believe that 76 is being looked upon positively nowadays, so maybe I'll research that since at least there it would be completely fresh and interesting (though I'm still very doubtful). 1 and 2 are tempting but not quite what I was going for. If I was to abandon looking for an FPS Fallout and embrace CRPG Fallout, I'd likely play Tactics actually: I like it just like KakerMix, mostly because I prefer the real-time combat and Commandos-esque squad mission structure!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As a kid, I absolutely hated the character portraits in Fallout Tactics.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

KakerMix posted:

I've been replaying Fallout:Tactics and it's still good as hell. Yes it was my first Fallout game and no I will not apologize.

I've been noticing a surprising amount of people playing Tactics since the Fallout TV show. I guess people have been wanting to revisit the old games, or maybe play ones in the series they never played before?

Tactics is def an odd one, but it's not half bad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

only one person really cared about it but I made a thread about Indika

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060067

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FutureCop posted:

As obvious as it seems, I didn't think about checking other Fallouts: New Vegas might be a better way to satisfy my craving than 4, and I can't believe that 76 is being looked upon positively nowadays, so maybe I'll research that since at least there it would be completely fresh and interesting (though I'm still very doubtful). 1 and 2 are tempting but not quite what I was going for. If I was to abandon looking for an FPS Fallout and embrace CRPG Fallout, I'd likely play Tactics actually: I like it just like KakerMix, mostly because I prefer the real-time combat and Commandos-esque squad mission structure!

It's because current Fallout 76 is a very different game than launch Fallout 76. I agree with the notion that 76 is probably a better game than 4 at this point, it's basically the same as 4 but with a more interesting world map and ironically enough, slightly deeper RPG mechanics that 4 completely jettisoned from the series. At least you can do mild roleplaying with the NPCs in 76 instead of the Yes/Sarcastic Yes/No/Maybe? options you're limited to in 4.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Can you play 76 as a single player game or are the multiplayer aspects of it unavoidable?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Can you play 76 as a single player game or are the multiplayer aspects of it unavoidable?

Yeah, though some events and endgame super bosses kinda require other players to beat. If you want to play in a completely private server though, that's part of the dumb subscription service you pay for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh, I had actually assumed the game was free like one of the other "let's make this single player game multiplayer for no good season" games :doh:

Oh well, there goes any lingering interest I had in playing it!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Saddest Rhino posted:

only one person really cared about it but I made a thread about Indika

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4060067

This seems like one of those pretentious indie games that I'd enjoy so I'm going to try checking it out soon!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've also been playing Fallout 76 lately since I thought there are others playing too. I haven't had any issues from other players, and there are builds where you get tons of boosts/resistance/stats for simply being in party with others - not to mention intelligence boosts from the party in general. You don't really need to do anything with the party, just have it activated. Granted, I haven't played far enough to really see those tough end game events (just level 25 so far) but I've generally had a good time solo. Sometimes you get help from another player if they happen to be in the area. But I think there's a limit on how many people can be on one map at a time, and it's not super high, I think 25 or so? So usually you'll go without even seeing another player, if you don't want to.

So far I'm liking it way more than F4, but the building system is still as clunky and stupid as I remembered. Normally I want to build all kinds of nice looking houses in games but here I have had absolutely no desire to do anything else than a shack with some crafting amenities. (I am trying to collect materials to build them again in my vault now that I got one, since the game won't let you move them from aboveground to the vault, and finding aluminium is a pain)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phlegmish posted:

Well. I wasn't expecting that. I guess it's one way to sort out the inconsistency.

e: the one thing I'm noticing is no Estonia so perhaps there is hope for them

haha, I immediately went to look for Estonia too

you’ve turned me into an Estoniaboo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

so, for magic the gathering arena, I've decided to engage with what my brother calls "the biggest controversy in magic right now"

meaning the existence of this guy:

usually when I see him, I just leave the game because he's bullshit

Yesterday I said "no, gently caress it" and built a deck around him... and he's fun to play :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I cast Counterspell