Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Still really warm, no?

Turn it into a super soaker party since they're gonna be wet anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/ruffleseed/status/1786163273269977588

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Even if intentional I would have kept that secret until my death

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Struensee posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with them?

They are intensely, and undiagnosedly, autistic, is my theory.

"We eat pizza on Friday. And it was Friday. So we ate pizza." this was, word by word, their reasoning.

In conversation with my wife btw it came out that they think I told them not to give him pizza*. Which is funny because then why did you?

* I was trying to signal that he has to learn not everything is for him.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

KirbyKhan posted:

Every family is a foreign country. Your parents are the old country. Your spouse's parents are their own old country. Impossible to achieve true understanding.

Okay but my spouse's parents are literally in the old country so this metaphor seems a bit stretched

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ah, the "cause your kid to fail a class in order to teach an incredibly vague and unhelpful lesson about responsibility" school of parenting

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You only learn how to improve executive functioning via failure, sad but true

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The actual gently caress

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
since we are on the topic of food is anyone using like... a family meal planning app or anything like that? something to help manage the grocery list, plan stuff out for everyone, etc

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
No app, just pen and paper, but we keep all of our meal plans in a binder so we can just pull out an old one and use that after a while.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Mad Wack posted:

since we are on the topic of food is anyone using like... a family meal planning app or anything like that? something to help manage the grocery list, plan stuff out for everyone, etc

spouse and I share a reminders list on phone to align on groceries and then weekly we have a kinda set meal plan with flex days to change it up.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mad Wack posted:

I just do everything myself for the most part. We do have a shared Anylist account to coordinate grocery lists. But I care way more about meals than my spouse so I plan, shop for and cook 98% of dinners.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We make a shipping list every week and picking meals on Saturday is my last favorite part of the week

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Parenting win:

Told 4 yr old demon "bet you can't put your PJs on faster than I get twin B's on!" and it worked! It loving worked!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Mustached Demon posted:

Parenting win:

Told 4 yr old demon "bet you can't put your PJs on faster than I get twin B's on!" and it worked! It loving worked!

Anything can be gamified. Once.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We get a meal box like Hello Fresh (but good) for four days of the week, which cuts down the planning a lot and also requires less shopping. Also we get some great fish. Definitely a big help in making everything work.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

Anything can be gamified. Once.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Absolutely dogging it today and wondering if maybe I am sick.

Then I remembered I've been up since 3:30 a.m. because of the toddler. Brain fog about brain fog.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Absolutely dogging it today and wondering if maybe I am sick.

Then I remembered I've been up since 3:30 a.m. because of the toddler. Brain fog about brain fog.

I can do both :smug:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
meal planning lmao

i salute you and your household if you are able to create and maintain these things but kids will randomly decide what is edible each day using archaic rules we are forced to forget at adulthood

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

hubris.height posted:

meal planning lmao

i salute you and your household if you are able to create and maintain these things but kids will randomly decide what is edible each day using archaic rules we are forced to forget at adulthood

Each day? That sounds nice. We sometimes check the acceptability of food right before cooking, but this doesn't guarantee edibility half an hour later.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

hubris.height posted:

meal planning lmao

lol i am just trying to warm our family up to the idea of eating the same food, we have a very atomized dinner culture and we want to at least try and change it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it wasn’t easy at first but we really push for dinner table dinners which helps against atomization.

my kid generally hates it sometimes because it’s q&a time. my spouse grew up in a home where kids happily discussed poo poo where my kid is like “I ain’t telling you anything and I will speed eat to get back to my thing”.

I grew up quite the opposite and see the issues with it so we try to eat together at the table as often as we can.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think QA dinner time hits differently at different ages. Right now, the 1½ year old has zero words but a lot to say, while the six year old doesn't remember anything that happened. Also he's clearly getting frustrated that he doesn't get what the adults are talking about. I'm pretty sure he will pick stuff up and start engaging in our discussions soon though.

We're also getting to the point where he reads the newspapers that my wife has lying around. He managed to get like halfway through a science article about some space stuff and it seems like he understood some of it. Good thing he didn't pick something about Ukraine or Gaza or something, we may have to hide those sections a bit better.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Hmm.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Well, it is proven.

We recently had ANZAC day (like another Remembrance Day, but just for Antipodeans) down here and our 8yo helped out at a service with Girl Guides. Last week she mentioned she'd read stories about the ANZACs.

*me wrestling 1yo for bedtime* "That's nice!"

"Yeah, they sacrificed women and children!"

"Uh...what?"

"They took them up mountains and cut their hearts out!"

"..."

"..."

"Are you thinking of the Aztecs?"

"Oh yeah, the Aztecs!"

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Parenting hack: child not eating breakfast? Put cereal and fruit into plastic eggs. Loot boxes for food.

We have an unlimited supply of plastic eggs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Chad Sexington posted:

Parenting hack: child not eating breakfast? Put cereal and fruit into plastic eggs. Loot boxes for food.

We have an unlimited supply of plastic eggs.

Not a problem here. Child loves all breakfast foods.

Dinner is extremely difficult

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I guess I should count myself lucky that my son happily eats anything put in front of him, or anything found in the kitchen, or anything smaller than a mouth

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Just wait 'til he gets a hold of a whole pack of butter. Our youngest ate about half a pack before my wife realized he was being too quiet

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My older kid has taken to waking up as early as they can, apparently to stalk around like a gremlin in the semi-dark before anyone else wakes up. This morning they got up at 4:30am and decided it was a good time for violin practice so now there are rules.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Microplastics posted:

I guess I should count myself lucky that my son happily eats anything put in front of him, or anything found in the kitchen, or anything smaller than a mouth

lol

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
daughter scored in the 97th percentile for reading at school and I'm very proud.

the other night I taught her the trick of skipping words you don't know and looking at context and I wonder if that helped

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

because my son continually refuses to poop in the potty we've been putting a diaper on him overnight (which he immediately shits into). he's four so i know we just need to eventually rip the bandaid off but it's hard, obviously. he is fine during the day, wears underwear, pees in the potty when he needs to, has only had like one accident in the last year+, but im getting so sick of changing diapers at night.

anyway tonight he said he wants to wear underwear to sleep in. so maybe he is ripping the bandaid off for us? hopefully it continues. im not going to fight him about it if not until after this weekend because it's mothers day and i don't want to create some arduous task requiring both parents on a day my wife gets a break lol.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got a 3D printer (resin) and it's so cool how you can just find stuff to print that your kids want to play with and it's like 50¢ in materials to do it.

like I'm absolutely not gonna buy Five Nights At Freddy's merchandise but I'll happily print you whatever little guy you want, kid.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well good news my son did not piss in the bed overnight, maybe this is just the end of diapers for him. thank GOD if so. but we have had so many false starts with potty training i am trying not to get my hopes up.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

well good news my son did not piss in the bed overnight, maybe this is just the end of diapers for him. thank GOD if so. but we have had so many false starts with potty training i am trying not to get my hopes up.

Being dry overnight is about a hormone, either your kid produces it or they don't (until they do).

My eldest is still in night nappies while my youngest by 3 years didn't need them about 2 nights after being potty trained.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter (3 years and 9 months or so) took a rare afternoon nap last week or thereabouts and we forgot to change her into a diaper for it because she usually doesn't nap anymore these days

Did not end well fam

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

notaspy posted:

Being dry overnight is about a hormone, either your kid produces it or they don't (until they do)

This sounds fascinating, where can I read more about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

lobster shirt posted:

in my experience kids know when they are ready for poo poo. my daughter did the same poo poo with pacifiers, just one night she didn't want it and handed it to us and it was done