Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I know some of you have a piece of knowledge that most people don’t know and you get annoyed when they are wrong. This is your chance to let it out. It can be anything, but try not to spoil recent movies.

F Scott Fitzgerald once wrote “there are no second acts in American lives”. Most people assume this means there are no second chances. But a play typically has three acts. What Fitzgerald was saying was that in American life stories, there is no middle act of struggle and personal growth. They skip directly from exposition to climax.

Also, nauseated is when you feel sick. nauseous means you make other people sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's commonly thought that you are gay, but in reality you just have sex with men for the right amount of money

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

your penis hardens at signs of danger. everyone's radius is different and no yours is not too limited nor narrow

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
communism is a defined condition and if your political-economy doesn't resemble that definition you have not achieved communism

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

everyone calling all sparkling wine Prosecco is the same loving thing everyone was doing wrong when they were calling all sparkling wine Champagne

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

question for sex farm: what's a sex farm

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You don't have to be special and it's not on you to fix the world.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Funky See Funky Do posted:

that's quitter talk

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

we can outsource that to the annukai or whatever white supremacist stand in ancient aliens is peddling this week

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's far more common for the casket to be lowered into the grave after everyone or almost everyone has cleared out, and not during the end of the proceedings.

In fact, the devices aren't intended for the casket to rest on it for long, so there's usually something ensuring the casket can't be lowered , like a couple pieces of 2x4. Otherwise, the casket could slowly lower itself over time and not necessarily evenly.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's why in my will I want to be raised out of the grave during my funeral

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

yeah, via trebuchet

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

PokeJoe posted:

question for sex farm: what's a sex farm

https://youtu.be/W-GAMvyRovU?si=Hi_z_Gb4vPhdJ7Sr

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you're gonna throw me out of my grave w a trebuchet at least have the good graces to give me the plague first

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

It would take a significant adjustment to the lowering device for someone to be able to use it to lift the average casket and corpse.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

well I better start saving my pennies

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
you can just shoplift and nobody can stop you. just walk out with a ps5 they can't do poo poo about it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I was at a funeral where the coffin was lowered. Then the attendees each had a turn shoveling a bit of dirt on it. It was really deep and the noise the dirt made hitting the coffin was horrifying.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

R.L. Stine posted:

you can just shoplift and nobody can stop you. just walk out with a ps5 they can't do poo poo about it

That's why they keep it behind the fuckin thing

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The Management posted:

I was at a funeral where the coffin was lowered. Then the attendees each had a turn shoveling a bit of dirt on it. It was really deep and the noise the dirt made hitting the coffin was horrifying.

How did you get out?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

On that note, caskets do lock to prevent the lid from flapping around, so don't get in one unless you're comfortable with the idea of never getting out again.

You wouldn't believe the amount of dead people found in caskets.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You wouldn't believe the amount of dead people found in caskets.

Yeah. This is obviously anecdotal but my father once asked me if I knew how many people were dead in the cemetery we drove by. I told him I did not know. He told me "all of them"

I still think about that

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
when i was a kid you had to hold your breath and lift your feet off the floor of the car when passing a cemetery. i still do it but it gets a little scary if the car doesn't have enough momentum

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Big Ben is not the name of the clock, it's the name of the largest bell inside the clock.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Kitty Litter is not what you fill the little box with, it's what comes out of the cat's butt. The correct term for what you fill the litter box with, is "substrate", or if you will, "litter box substrate."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Cows don't fart methane, they burp it.

Termites produce the most methane of any species, and there are several other insects and arthropods that produce more than cows.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
While goldfish don't have a "5 second memory" per se, their present awareness is indeed about 5 - 15 seconds. To explain this further, a person who has damage to their hippocampus and cannot make new long term memories will have a present awareness of up to 15 minutes max, but it is on average 5 minutes. The person will constantly insist that this is their first conscious memory in some long time, and they have no idea how they got where they are. But if they have an understanding of the rules of chess from before they stopped being able to make new memories, you can play chess with them every day and their game will consistently improve over time. While this isn't a "memory," it shows that learning involves other parts of the brain than the hippocampus. It is this same methodology that is involved with a goldfish being able to learn a maze over time, despite their short present awareness of about 5 - 15 seconds.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

“fish or cut bait” means fish or procrastinate/waste time (by cutting up bait to prep for fishing)

also, vladimir putin is a stage name — he was born robert allen zimmerman

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Explaining that Frankenstein is the name of the doctor, not the creature, is extremely annoying. Also, the creature's creator was not a doctor, he was a medical student. (In Frankenstein: The True Story from 1973, the creature is asked his name at one point and responds, "I am Leviathan Legion, for I am many", which he overheard being read from the bible. Pretty cool!)

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 7, 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Animation isn't a genre, it's a medium. You can tell literally any story with it. When you tell a story set in space it's at least baseline sci-fi, no choice.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Animation isn't a genre, it's a medium. You can tell literally any story with it. When you tell a story set in space it's at least baseline sci-fi, no choice.

Related: the proper term for anime is "sparkling cartoons"

lipid
Feb 21, 2001
Frankenstein was mostly good at branding and licensing others ideas. It was the little Igors from Castlevania that did most of the work.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
A personal annoyance but the term 'gameification' doesn't mean 'turn into a game', it means 'create a structure for [whatever] that can be learned and repeated'.

Shart is not a poo poo and a fart, it is just a poo poo

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Things don't burn up in our atmosphere just from falling from a great height. The speed at which something would start to burn or even significantly heat up is far beyond its terminal velocity. Things burn in our atmosphere because they're either coming down from orbital velocities or flying at us at insane speeds from outer space.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

egg_dog posted:

Shart is not a poo poo and a fart, it is just a poo poo

Well that's contentious.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Ballistas were not real, and there would not have been enough oxygen on earth even at that time to allow crossbows to grow that large. The most likely explanation for this myth is that it spread from sleep deprived & malnourished sailors who simply imagined them out of the darkness of night

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's pronounced "gif", not "gif".

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Too and to are different words.

Too = excessive or in addition to.

Excessive:

I ate too much ham.
My penis is too big.
I'm too sexy for my shirt.

In addition/as well:

Other people were on the hiking trail too.
I bought cleaning supplies and after some deliberation some rope too.
Oh? I was banned from Bumble too.

For everything else use to, or two if you mean the number.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Many people believe that a country called New Zealand exists. But in fact it was invented as part of an elaborate marketing exercise to promote the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
dunning-kruger effect is about your level of experience in a certain subject and not your overall intelligence