Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The special editions ruined Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Revenge of the Sith Special Edition where there's now a scene of Grogu kicking Anakin's rear end and booting him out of the temple

Or, ya know, this one

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vinylshadow posted:

Revenge of the Sith Special Edition

These pretty much are what exist. It's not easy to see the films as they originally showed in theater; you've got to track down foreign release laser discs and the like.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Fucken nerds running to the cinema to see these movies for the 600th time will just convince Disney that whatever piece of poo poo they are planning next will definitely work because people love all starwars.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They were always going to pump out mediocre poo poo till the end of time. That's the whole reason they bought the IP.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://imgur.com/gallery/dviT8#QKYD1Ql

Backstroke of the West-styled TPM, anyone?

Everything else: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebVideo/TheStarWarGatherings

"It's heroin."

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 4, 2024

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Schwarzwald posted:

These pretty much are what exist. It's not easy to see the films as they originally showed in theater; you've got to track down foreign release laser discs and the like.

in fairness, there are a few fairly interesting deleted scenes across the prequels that didn't make it in at any point. most of them are better off for not being in the movie, but i like the ones in revenge of the sith, like anakin speaking binary to obi-wan's bemusement, or palpatine more explicitly outlining his opinion of the jedi's political motivations

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, his kid had a great Christmas that year

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ebay Listing
1999 Ep- I. NiB Padme Amidala
Some teeth marks, some saliva dmg
0 Bids
Buy it Now - $2.99

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hope the jar jar baseball hat Disney sold out of, smells as bad as it looks.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Hopeless Situation Warriors is actually a pretty decent name for the guys you send in when the poo poo hits the fan

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is it the situations or the warriors that are hopeless?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YaketySass posted:

Is it the situations or the warriors that are hopeless?

They're so bad at their job they somehow wrap back around to somehow pulling it off because their hopelessness crashed against the situation's hopelessness and cancelled it out?

Or as they say in the biz: "Pulling a Jar Jar"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jar jar is annoying as hell. If he did half of what he does he’d work better

Having rewatched it in theaters where I can’t use my phone when jar jar is on screen

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I loved the Episode III subtitles where Anakin explains how he was created by the Presbyterian church.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 5, 2024

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
what year is this

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

its a so long awhile in star faculty distantly

says so right at the beginning

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

YaketySass posted:

what year is this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol remember when Jar Jar started the Empire

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD2gZ-2OI4I

At 4:56 this scene cracked me up in the theater really hard. fuckin New Jersey rear end battle droid

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Jar jar is annoying as hell. If he did half of what he does he’d work better

Having rewatched it in theaters where I can’t use my phone when jar jar is on screen

Yeah... This was one of my big takeaways too. Over the years I had become somewhat of a jar jar apologist, with his much more downplayed inclusions in the later prequel movies and especially clone wars. I forgot how bad jar jar was out of the gates, and just how much they front load his awfulness in the first half of the movie. I feel so bad for Ahmed Best being done so dirty in his first role like that.

I also forgot how bad the acting was all around.

However the overall plot of the movie still holds up pretty well. The complaints about too much trade negotiation talk are overblown. It still moves like a star wars movie does.

Also the CGI holds up better than I expected. In the special editions of the original trilogy, the new CGI is just kind of shoehorned in randomly and it can be a little bit jarring seeing the new CGI in contrast with the old '70s film work. The Phantom Menace is much more cohesive, where you can still tell the CGI is pretty early, but it works much better with everything else going on. It's hard to deny that The Phantom Menace has a unique vision, and it mostly hits its mark.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah outside from being boring on a camera work level it still looks really good and cohesive. Jar jar’s cgi holds up really well too.

Honestly my biggest issue with gungans is their way of speaking is just a bit too fuckin weird and half their dialog is really hard to interpret

I still don’t know why Jar Jar was banished after all these years lol. His story makes no sense to me whatsoever ever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

I still don’t know why Jar Jar was banished after all these years lol. His story makes no sense to me whatsoever ever.

Yeah if anything he'd have be respected by Sidious' folks and the Palpatine-friendly senators for how well he played the senate like a harp outta hell god drat fiddle in Attack of the Clones. We should have seen older prosperous fat Senator Binx in the background at the party Mon Mothma holds in Andor lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No sorry I meant his story he tells to qui gon and obi wan in the oingo boingo.

If I read it maybe it makes sense but the way jar jar speaks and the words he says it’s just nonsense. I can’t parse it lol

He crashes into a thing because he’s clumsy? I have no clue

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's like the noodle incident from Calvin and Hobbes. What happened is up to your own imagination.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
He wrecked the boss’s car basically

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Zoran posted:

He wrecked the boss’s car basically

Just like Anakin!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He boom de gasser and then crashen de boss's hayblibber. My question is, why was he merely banished instead of executed for such buffoonery.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I saw the 9:15 showing last night and also wanted to get my thoughts in here. I still remember waiting in a huge line outside of our big theater in orlando for TPM with my friends the night of our 8th grade graduation party, we left early to get in line! We had lightsabers which we brought to the party! I didn't like TPM as much as the OT as a kid, the stuff that was bad or jarring put me off of it and the things I really liked about star wars (like the space battles) were just not as good. The podrace and duel of the fates were the obviously baller standouts. Now I've seen it a ton of times at home over the years, but re-watching it in theaters with my full attention and with the prequel hate in me having softened over the years of extra media bringing me around to it (the animated shows and comics in particular) here are my thoughts:

The Good:

- Liam Neeson is so good as Qui-Gon. He delivers one of the best acting performances in the movie, completely sells Qui-Gon as a character, and has some of the coolest dialogue and lines. I was really struck by his character this time, seeing it not just as a child for the first time or in snippets over the years, but also with all my now decades of consuming media and star wars. You feel the influence of OT Obi-Wan, and how they take Alec's trickster & shady qualities and move them closer to an extreme. Qui-Gon is a rebel, he doesn't give a gently caress, he will trick and lie his way through any situation, he will flaunt the rules. He is also a great master and teacher, he is always giving advice or learning throughout the movie. Some of my favorite lines on this rewatch:

"Be mindful of the living force, young padawan" ( I just like the reference to the living force)
"Your gods demand that his life belongs to me now." (Just casually using the force to acquire a servant)
"No more commands from her highness today, Captain" (Qui-Gon sick of this nonsense)
"Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from him" (great loving line read)
"Podracing. Greed can be a powerful ally"
"Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think, use your instincts. May the force be with you" (Qui Gon speedrunning teaching Ani)
"I don't know, but it was well trained in the Jedi Arts" (I really like the dialogue related to how the jedi operate and are perceived in this era)
"Anakin will become a Jedi, I promise you."
"I'm not allowed to train you, so I want you to watch me and be mindful. Always remember, your focus determines your reality."

- Ian McDiarmid is a force. He is good in every star wars obviously but as the debut of his two-faced pre empy character its great. He gives the most "naturalistic" performance and I think thats because palpy has always been a big ham so he fits in well with the overwrought acting style of the prequels.

- Struck by a lot of the subtle world building. One of the neemoidians asks if they had ever encountered a Jedi and then says "We will not survive this..." - So the Jedi already have a reputation at this point of being extra judicial killers likely to solve a problem with their laser sword.

- I really like the weird acting in particular with Amidala. Its clear that the "Amidala" voice is a put on so that the handmaidens have a method to hide as the queen. All of Amidala's outfits are loving SICK. Just amazing, amazing outfits. There is one very kimono esque outfit she wears midway through on Coruscant in Palpatine's office thats just mwah.

- Struck by Palpatine underestimating Amidala in this one. Thinks she is young and naive and easy to control, rare Sheev L.

- Anakin is the RIZZ KING. Its crazy that he rizzes up padme immediately and even gets her to go back to his place. I have to say Jake Lloyd got done dirty, he gives an overall great performance. I think there are some dialogue issues, but his acting isn't a problem. Love his line read on "I saw your laser sword, only a Jedi carries that kind of weapon." - He also kills the hutt retort to Subulba "Ja scruny dopot SLEEMO"

- Watto, despite being a potentially racist caricature, is a great character. "Republic credits are no good out here, I need something more real" - great line read there. The forced polite smile Qui-Gon gives watto after the only money exchange lol he's so angry and instantly has begun scheming on how to screw over Watto.

"The boys good, no doubts there" I love the voice acting on watto.
"I hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it"
"Don't get me wrong I have great faith in the boy, he's a credit to your race, but Sebulba is gonna win, me thinks!"
"I'm betting heavily on Sebuuuuuuuuuulbaaaaa" Love the stress on sebulba.

- This exchange when C3PO is first turned on: Padme - "he's perfect!" C3PO - Ohhh, "Perfect" :3: Lolled at this.

- Qui-Gon putting the moves on Shmi from the moment they meet he is basically acting like they are going to / have hooked up. Their chemistry is crazy.

- "No one can kill a Jedi." "I wish that were so" - Liam neeson kills this entire movie, man!!

- "Trusting our fate to a boy we hardly know, the queen would not approve!" "The queen doesnt need to know" *the queen, sulking* "Well I don't approve..."
"You Jedi are far too reckless" "The queen trusts my judgement ,young handmaiden. You should too" "You assume too much..." Very funny exchanges with hindsight, the way Qui-Gon plays it I feel like he already knows the deception.

- The pod racer is such a great star wars vehicle. So many greeblies and switches, buttons, and toggles

- Entire pod race WHIPS. The sound design is just incredible and all the little aliens are great. Greg Proops as the 2 headed announcer is great, I love they don't translate the huttese head. As a sequence its great but there is a lot going on in the race itself, as its essentially a mini-movie 3 act structure in the way its presented. I love the middle act where Anakin showcases a lot of different skills to bypass a series of drivers, dealing with each one in a different way. Its a short part of the race but I was struck by its efficiency and how it shows Anakin's skill as a pilot.

- All the new droids are great. Love me battle droids, love me pit droids.

- The queens ship is iconic.

- POV shot from C3POs perspective multiple times, kind of interesting we never had a POV shot in the OT right?

- Coruscant is great, especially the costumes of the guards.

- Samuel L Jackson is also a very good actor, despite the wooden dialogue I really feel him own the role. "Bring him before us, then" he says exasperated at another of Qui-Gon's misadventures. "No, he will not be trained" SLJ line reads are all good.

- Yoda similarly owns. His "OH!" when Obi-Wan says he will train Anakin no matter what, lol he's pissed. "Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you, need that you do not" hes seething.

- "You must not defy the council, master, not again." "I will do what I must, Obi-Wan" <-- Qui-gon!!!

- Bail was almost supreme chancellor, would love to see a what-if where that happened.

- Palpatine loving the queen throwing herself back into danger "Please your majesty stay here where its safe" is real gene wilder noo don't go... energy - Ian has just a hint of a smirk forming as the scene wipes.

- "Its not disrespect master, its the truth!" "From your point of view..." - oh you scamp George

- Saved for the end but Ewan McGregor was an inspired choice for Obi-Wan and honestly for me he IS Obi at this point. He has had much more screentime as the character and his affectations to imitate Alec are awesome and he's a good enough actor that it doesn't feel forced. Love my little rat tail king.

The Bad

- A lot of the CGI is fine, though dated looking. There are some scenes where the battle droids look amazing (even in full CGI shots) and some where they look very very video gamey. My biggest problem is one I've had since I saw it, they spent a lot of their time and effort pioneering having these fully CGI chaarcters but George just did not put the time in to properly block & choreograph around it. The lightsaber stuff vs the droids looks bad still. Very awkward. The best shots are the "first person" views where you only see the blade of the saber dismantling the droids. Anything where the actors were clearly swinging at air and had the bad guys put in later looks like horse poo poo.

- Jar Jar sucks. Sorry anti-haters. I cannot believe some of the dialogue he has to spout and some of the stuff he gets up to as goofs. He is essentially taking the C3PO role of being put upon by goofs the entire movie but I think there is something much more fun spirited about a posh butler getting poo poo on than essentially a poor outcast loner. Like his life sucks and you make him step in poo poo? There is one scene at the podrace section where an Epee farts, and Jar Jar just leans his snout into the fart cloud and takes a big whiff. Like why man? Why make him consume the fart like that? Everything he does is exaggerated by about 20% more than I think is necessary. I agree if they had just cut back on it some he would have landed better. Some of the CGI for Jar Jar is rough, very early CGI looking, but still overall an amazing achievement. I think jar jar is at his best when he is using his weirdo gungan language to explain some stuff like detailing how he got mixed up with the jedi. Also his catch phrase of "How wude" - lame.

- Shmi's dialogue sucks. Maybe its her accent or just the way shes reading it out but I found her "acting" on the line reads to be the worse, even though she's just fine facially and physically. Luckily her final goodbye to anakin is great so she ends on a strong note.

- Still crazy that C3PO got built by Anakin.

- Maul tracking down Qui-gon and attacking them as they get away feels really unnecessary. It honestly would have been great to save Maul's reveal for the very end. I know why they put it there (to introduce the villain to our characters so they have an excuse to go back to naboo and to tell the jedi council), but it feels unnecessary even in the moment.

- The jedi council tells Qui-Gon "We will discover the identity
of this assailant!" then smash cut to "Uh qui-gon go to naboo and have a fight with that guy again, this will be the clue we need to unravel the mystery of the sith" great job jedi council lol

- The 4 location final act is too busy and too much of it sucks. The gungan battle sucks. Its a monumental achievement of having 2 giant CGI armies face off against each other (with more character close ups and "real" scenes rather than just miniscule figures smashing together), but I still dislike it. It looks dumb, the uncanny open field and the primitive orb ball vs robots just don't work for me. Made even worse by Jar Jar Mr Beaning his way through the battle. Compared to the ewoks, which has a different "problem" to overcome in getting little people actors in costumes into a believable space vs the stormtroopers, its much more effective in the forest setting and the various vignettes of the battle are better IMO. The gungans and the way this fight lines up just doesn't have that same energy ROTJ brings. Then you have the space battle which is not really a big focus and it sucks. Its aping at what made the ANH and ROTJ battles work (various extras chiming on on cockpit cam and ships maneuvering around) but lacks the tension of the trench run and the spectacle or story telling of the ROTJ fight. Made even WORSE by kid ani saving the day BY ACCIDENT. We already established this guy is a good pilot, I feel like just letting him pilot from the get go and showing off his skills would have been better. They should have connected this scene further to his podrace, in both scenes he faces a crucial power failure but it just kind of resolves itself in the space battle where as he could have told R2 to re-route the power like he did on his podracer. Luckily the DOTF saber fight and Padme gun slinging works well.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 5, 2024

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jerkface posted:

Made even WORSE by kid ani saving the day BY ACCIDENT.

I disagree on this because I really like how this moment works as a counterpoint to what Luke did in episode IV. Luke consciously gave up control and trusted in the Force to pull off a miracle, but Anakin doesn’t learn that same lesson in similar circumstances

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Zoran posted:

I disagree on this because I really like how this moment works as a counterpoint to what Luke did in episode IV. Luke consciously gave up control and trusted in the Force to pull off a miracle, but Anakin doesn’t learn that same lesson in similar circumstances

I cant get behind this. Anakin is basically never or barely in control the entire finale so what is the payoff to him pulling off the similar miracle as Luke did? Like if i understand you right its a parallel to anakin never wanting to let go but he doesnt have anything at this point so i don't think that works. Interesting point though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The point isn’t that Anakin needs to learn to give up control, exactly (although he did need to learn that lesson in the end), but rather that he didn’t get taught that his success was down to anything other than his own skill and daring. That gives Palpatine more room to reinforce Anakin’s ego, which he sets about doing as soon as he lands. It’s another of those things where if Qui-Gon had lived, maybe he sits Anakin down and imparts the right lessons, but Obi-Wan was not at all prepared to do that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Zoran posted:

The point isn’t that Anakin needs to learn to give up control, exactly (although he did need to learn that lesson in the end), but rather that he didn’t get taught that his success was down to anything other than his own skill and daring. That gives Palpatine more room to reinforce Anakin’s ego, which he sets about doing as soon as he lands. It’s another of those things where if Qui-Gon had lived, maybe he sits Anakin down and imparts the right lessons, but Obi-Wan was not at all prepared to do that.

I dunno Qui-Gon tells him to go by feel and trust his instincts and thats basically what he does the entire finale. And that definitely isn't coming through in the moment while watching.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Star Wars: Why make him consume the fart like that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

There's a fandub of the entire movie that uses this subtitle translation and it's the most amazing thing ever made.

Anakin being called Allah Gold like a fuckin' jojo villain lmaaaaaaoooooo, the Jedi being called the Hopeless Situations, I don't think I've seen a translation that so incredibly transcends right and wrong, like it's somehow more accurate than the actual script

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

2house2fly posted:

He boom de gasser and then crashen de boss's hayblibber. My question is, why was he merely banished instead of executed for such buffoonery.

Nobody wants to combine that level of slapstick shenanigans with death row.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jehde posted:

Star Wars: Why make him consume the fart like that?

That camel fuckin loved it too

Also with Jar Jar he ain’t very sympathetic imo. He’s not just a hapless idiot but a pretty mischievously malicious one. He knows what he’s doing is bad but he does it any way until someone attacks him. Over and over and over. My memory just recalled him as a goof who stumbles but the dude frequently sneaks food he know he shouldn’t and steals and touches things he’s not supposed too and at the end he learns loving nothing

Everything good he does he does because he’s a clumsy idiot. That’s not an arc George!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jerkface posted:

- "Trusting our fate to a boy we hardly know, the queen would not approve!" "The queen doesnt need to know" *the queen, sulking* "Well I don't approve..."
"You Jedi are far too reckless" "The queen trusts my judgement ,young handmaiden. You should too" "You assume too much..." Very funny exchanges with hindsight, the way Qui-Gon plays it I feel like he already knows the deception.

Also a nice little clue since Nute Gunray says the same thing to the Queen at the very beginning of the movie.