Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just do what I did, don't put your GPA on your resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Just do what I did, don't put your GPA on your resume.
Yeah I don't know if potential employers care more in the UK or wherever the OP is but in the US in general I wouldn't think it would matter that much?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I don't think the first part of this post was shared in here yet. But either way, op posted an update.

My (26F) friend's (26F) boyfriend (28M) gave me an inappropriately expensive gift for my birthday. How do I react?

quote:

Hey everyone,

Last week, I celebrated my birthday with my friend group. We're all fairly close, and whilst we've never discussed presents/gifts explicitly, we all kind of naturally fell into an unspoken pattern around what kind of birthday gifts we give to each other: we do gifts, but they're usually in the 10-40 Euro range. Think things like a book, a voucher for theater tickets, maybe a nice bottle of wine. That kind of stuff. We're all young professionals or grad students, and that just fits our general income level.

A good friend of mine brought her boyfriend to the party, and he gave me a gift of his own, separate from my friend's. Without going into too much detail, it was a small object that had a very thoughtful connection to a trip I took in winter. I was genuinely very thankful for the gift and thought it was lovely.

However, when I unpacked the item at home, something about it just caught my eye. Certain parts of the item that I would have expected to be made of glass didn't....look like glass. I ended up googling the maker's mark on the bottom and found the exact same item online, for the price of....750 Euros!

Now. It'd be one thing if this guy was a trust fund kid for whom that kind of money was just peanuts. I'd still feel uncomfortable, but at least there'd be some logic to this then. But my friend's relationship with this guy already has massive problems, largely centred around him being underemployed and making her pick up the tab for their shared lifestyle to an undue degree. We honestly all expect the relationship to fizzle out soon, because they obviously aren't compatible in some key aspects. So now I've got this 750-Euro-item on my shelf, and I've no clue how to handle this. It feels extremely inappropriate to have this thing. I'd feel uncomfortable accepting this sort of gift from almost anyone I know, but the fact that it's a) a friend's romantic partner (I'm gay and her boyfriend knows, but still) and b) said friend has issues with her partner's handling of his finances just makes it even worse. It's also a highly specific item that I don't think he'd be likely to just have, so I'm pretty certain he must have bought this for the occasion and must be aware of its value.

What do I do? My friend seems to be totally unaware of the value of the item. Do I tell her? Do I contact the boyfriend and ask him what the gently caress he was thinking? How would you handle this?

TL;DR: Friend's boyfriend gave me 750-Euro birthday gift. Friend seems to be unaware of true value of the item and already has issues with boyfriend's handling of money. How do I handle this?

UPDATE: My friend's boyfriend gave me an inappropriately expensive birthday gift (turns out he stole it. From his MUM.)

quote:

To summarise the original post: My (26F) friend's (26F) perpetually broke boyfriend (28M) gave me a gift for my birthday. It initially looked like a thoughtfully chosen, normal gift with a lovely connection to a recent trip to my mother's homecountry I took in winter, but after growing suspicious of the quality of the materials, I realised that it was in fact an antique worth hundreds of Euros. Theories as to what happened included him not being aware of the item's value, possibly having bought it from someone who didn't know what they were selling, or him trying to somehow hurt his girlfriend/my friend and/or trying to hit on me in a bizarre, inappropriate way.

I ended up texting my friend and telling her that I had researched the gift and discovered it was worth a very inappropriate amount of money. She was VERY surprised by the entire situation, especially considering her boyfriend (now ex, but more on that later) is perpetually broke and makes her foot the bill for their shared lifestyle. She came over to my place and together, we called him on speakerphone, where she demanded some answers. Long story short: He STOLE it. From his OWN MOTHER.

He's still being a bit shady about some details, but we managed to piece together the sequence of events to a satisfactory degree:

My friend was supposed to be coming to my birthday party straight from work. When she left her office, she realised she had forgotten the gift she had planned for me (a book) at home. Since she was already running late and her place is pretty far from both her work and my flat, she chose to text her boyfriend, who was having dinner at his parent's home at the time. She knew he was there, and knew his parents live close to me, so she asked him to just buy a copy of the same book at a bookshop on his way to my place so they'd have a gift.

For reasons known only to him, he did not choose this simple, reasonable solution to the 'we forgot our gift' issue. Instead of leaving five minutes early to pick up another copy of the book, he instead chose to just GRAB A RANDOM ITEM OFF HIS MOTHER'S LIVING ROOM SHELF. WITHOUT ASKING HER. He had no idea what it was, just thought it looked pretty, took it, and stuffed it in a paper bag. He also did not text back my friend or react to her calls, so she (reasonably) assumed he hadn't read her message and ended up going BACK to get the book, which was why they arrived separately and with separate gifts.

Meanwhile, the boyfriend had unknowingly gifted me not just any antique, no! This item had been passed down to his mother from her THREE-TIMES-GREAT-GRANDMOTHER. It had been in his family's possession for literal centuries, and was the ONLY tangible connection she (his mother) still had to her homecountry, which, incidentally, is also my mother's homecountry - which he wasn't aware of, meaning that what I thought was a thoughtful connection to my trip there was a total coincidence! He had no idea of the item's cultural significance.

My friend immediately made him call his mum to fess up to the entire situation. His mother had been running herself ragged trying to figure out where this item disappeared to for DAYS. Obviously, she never suspected thievery, and was blaming herself terribly for having lost something this important. The boyfriend ACTUALLY HAD THE GALL to try to convince her not to make her call his mum! He wanted to sweep the entire thing under the rug! Of course, we didn't let that happen.

His mother came by my place this morning and I returned the item to her, along with some apologies for not starting investigations immediately and some nice chocolate. We had a lovely conversation about our shared cultural heritage, I assured her that the item had been treated with dignity for the entire time it was in my possession, and we parted ways with a hug. She also told me that my initial estimate of the item's value was incorrect- it's actually worth EVEN MORE money, because it's even older than I initially thought. It would probably sell for a four-figure sum at auction.

I don't know what she wants to do with her son, but I hope she whoops his rear end. My friend, for obvious reasons, broke up with him.

Lessons learned: Google suspicious gifts, and lock away your sentimentals/valuables when people you're not entirely sure about come over. The GALL of this man.

Tl;dr: The suspiciously expensive gift was, in fact, stolen. The boyfriend swiped it off his mum's shelf, not knowing what it was or how much it was worth. I returned it to her and hope she whoops his rear end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are definitely some fields that only look out for high grades, especially if you want to do further studies.

Which is really rough in the current job economy since employers are only looking for the top 5% if preferable but they also want them to work for as low wage as possible. Which results in a lot of overqualified people applying for entry level jobs, further worsening the situation for actual entry level people that aren't exceptional.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Shanghaied posted:

A C is typically 70%, no? An E or pass is 60% in the US and elsewhere, although some countries and programmes have 50% for Es.

IIRC in the British system a 2:2 is 50 - 59%, so basically barely-passing-to-fail in other systems.

You can't directly compare percent because the exams are very different. Exams in the UK are much harder than the US, it's purposefully very, very difficult to get 80%+ in the UK. It's fairer to compare by grade boundaries instead. A 2:2 is a C equivalent, not a D which is a barely scrapped pass.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The UK has four grades at bachelor level basically, you can get a 1st (70%+), a 2:1 (60-69), a 2:2 (50-59), a 3rd (40-49) and a fail below 40.

Most grad and masters/PhD programmes require a 2:1 or a first, and more generally there's a kind of achievement cutoff where those are looked on as significantly better than 2:3 or 3rd class. It definitely can have impact, especially if you're looking to get into work directly related to the degree.

Although, it also doesn't really matter once you've got actual experience and other more relevant qualifications.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

DemoneeHo posted:

I don't think the first part of this post was shared in here yet. But either way, op posted an update.

My (26F) friend's (26F) boyfriend (28M) gave me an inappropriately expensive gift for my birthday. How do I react?

UPDATE: My friend's boyfriend gave me an inappropriately expensive birthday gift (turns out he stole it. From his MUM.)

this is so ........ he JUST HAPPENED to accidentally swipe the exact item that would be apparently related to her recent trip? "parts of it that should have been glass didn't look like glas" what the gently caress does this mean? in the first post it was an extremely specific item that he would be unlikely to just have, but hey, it turns out it was in fact just some random poo poo somebody owned that he knew nothing about and grabbed without knowing anything and hey presto it's the perfect hyperspecific gift to relate to this person's vacation and he did it totally by accident by swiping it off a shelf at his mom's house. he knew nothing at all about it although it's insanely important to his mom and their only link to the old country that he didn't know she was from and poo poo too.

what the hell IS this apparently diamond-studded item

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS
You can't just compare percentages, the UK exams are set up so that getting 70%+ is only for the very top students, and don't use grading curves either so it's not like the top X% get a first.
A 2:2 isn't great but really isn't too bad unless you really have a bad CV.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Serene Dragon posted:

You can't directly compare percent because the exams are very different. Exams in the UK are much harder than the US, it's purposefully very, very difficult to get 80%+ in the UK. It's fairer to compare by grade boundaries instead. A 2:2 is a C equivalent, not a D which is a barely scrapped pass.

Huh, interesting. When it comes to English language textbooks we mostly use American ones, with some British ones thrown in the mix. Most textbooks now also come with banks of exam questions and prep material etc, and I hadn't noticed that the British questions were much different than the American ones. But then again I also don't use the included questions, so I guess I haven't been paying attention.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

this is so ........ he JUST HAPPENED to accidentally swipe the exact item that would be apparently related to her recent trip? "parts of it that should have been glass didn't look like glas" what the gently caress does this mean? in the first post it was an extremely specific item that he would be unlikely to just have, but hey, it turns out it was in fact just some random poo poo somebody owned that he knew nothing about and grabbed without knowing anything and hey presto it's the perfect hyperspecific gift to relate to this person's vacation and he did it totally by accident by swiping it off a shelf at his mom's house. he knew nothing at all about it although it's insanely important to his mom and their only link to the old country that he didn't know she was from and poo poo too.

poop dagger

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

InediblePenguin posted:

€750 sounds too cheap for diamonds. It could be things like Baltic amber or Czech garnet or whatever that's closely associated with a region. It might not have been entirely random, but like "hi OP went to X recently, grandma was also was from X, I'll just grab one of her tchotchkes, there are so many of them around mum's house anyway."

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

A diamond poop knife is the only thing that can cut through the hardest of poops

InediblePenguin posted:

She finally gave up details:

OP posted:

Alright, alright - it's super specific, but it's a special kind of religious devotional triptych made, in the case of 'my' particular one, of silver and real loving rubies. They're called 'travel triptychs' and common in my family's home region, though, of course, they aren't usually made of silver and gemstones. I initially grew suspicious because of the maker's mark a) saying that it's silver and b) specifically saying that it's 800 silver, which is a kind of silver used only up to the 1800s (modern silverwork uses 925 silver, aka 'sterling silver'). The religious aspect wasn't very meaningful to me, but my family's home city is famous for its silversmithing, and my mother's family were silversmiths, and the item specifically is BEAUTIFUL. Of course it is, it's a thousand-dollar antique inlaid with loving rubies.

Suuuuuper specific. This fucker basically accidentally gave me a gift that would have been, if it had come from someone else, pretty drat amazing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Deformed Church posted:

The UK has four grades at bachelor level basically, you can get a 1st (70%+), a 2:1 (60-69), a 2:2 (50-59), a 3rd (40-49) and a fail below 40.

better than 2:3 or 3rd class

Is 2:3 the same as 3rd?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

Yeah I don't know if potential employers care more in the UK or wherever the OP is but in the US in general I wouldn't think it would matter that much?

Depends on the company. Some places apparently ask for college entrance test scores or transcripts from people who have been out of school for decades, which basically shuts out anyone who didn't go to school in the US, or didn't take the path of a traditional student. The hiring process at Canonical has a notoriously bizarre focus on high school.

quote:

Mark begins our call by saying: "I've read your essay responses. You say you didn't go to high school. Generally I only want people who are in the top 5%. You obviously can't prove that applies to you. So tell me why I should believe you were the equivalent to the top 5% of your peers at 16."

The next hour is spent picking through my educational background and early employment choices. To be clear, I’m an old lady: this is not recent history. He wanted to know what standardized exam I took to get into college and what I scored. He asked if I could "prove" that score. He wanted to know why I chose my major and school. He asked about a specific place I lived near >20 years ago, and I realize he’s looking at a map as we talk. We run over-time.

We never did talk about the actual work.

The day after that call I received a curt rejection email saying Canonical would not be moving forward with me as a candidate. I asked if there was any feedback, and I hear that the CEO call "could have gone better" and I "had not persuaded Mark that I had a strong understanding of what Canonical needs".

With their three months of assessment and notes on me, I ask what next steps would be if I wanted to explore other roles at the company. I never received a response.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Imagine being the CEO of any reasonably sized company and spending multiple hours arguing with a candidate about whether an US B and an European B are equivalent and why they worked at a Burger King at age 19 when a McDonalds was 500m closer lol. You sure are creating shareholder value now!

It's also hilariously pathetic that HR as a "profession" is continuously inventing more and more convoluted assessment tools, when research has shown again and again that the vast majority of assessment tests work no better than chance. I've been told that HR is moving away from MBTI recently because there is greater awareness nowadays that MBTI is bullshit pseudoscience, but the stuff they're moving to are not better. You guys are corporate palm-readers, don't pretend otherwise lol.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

Imagine being the CEO of any reasonably sized company and spending multiple hours arguing with a candidate about whether an US B and an European B are equivalent and why they worked at a Burger King at age 19 when a McDonalds was 500m closer lol. You sure are creating shareholder value now!

It's also hilariously pathetic that HR as a "profession" is continuously inventing more and more convoluted assessment tools, when research has shown again and again that the vast majority of assessment tests work no better than chance. I've been told that HR is moving away from MBTI recently because there is greater awareness nowadays that MBTI is bullshit pseudoscience, but the stuff they're moving to are not better. You guys are corporate palm-readers, don't pretend otherwise lol.

I don't know that any would ever see a resume. I couldn't comment up thread because I've risen to a point where I just don't screen resumes. Someone tells me this is the candidates pool and I tell them to make the best choice and I'll get the budget for the offer. The thought of an executive search agency giving a stack of resumes to a CEO just makes me laugh.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hughlander posted:

I don't know that any would ever see a resume. I couldn't comment up thread because I've risen to a point where I just don't screen resumes. Someone tells me this is the candidates pool and I tell them to make the best choice and I'll get the budget for the offer. The thought of an executive search agency giving a stack of resumes to a CEO just makes me laugh.

Yeah but you're a middleman. That would be funny to you.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Hughlander posted:

I don't think many CEOs would. But the story posted up thread is about Canonical specifically, whose CEO is a known weirdo.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The_Franz posted:

Depends on the company. Some places apparently ask for college entrance test scores or transcripts from people who have been out of school for decades, which basically shuts out anyone who didn't go to school in the US, or didn't take the path of a traditional student. The hiring process at Canonical has a notoriously bizarre focus on high school.

quote:

Pages of essays written: 18
Psychometric evaluations: 3
Personality test: 1
Number of interviews: 10+
Days between first and last contact: 107
Number of women I spoke to throughout the entire loving process: 0
Emotional trauma: priceless

Holy lol the insane amount of hoops this person jumped through just to be told by the CEO that without proof of a good high school GPA they weren't worth hiring.

"Why doesn't anyone want to work anymore?" -this CEO, probably

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I had to look it up, but Canonical is the company that makes Ubuntu. Based on what little I know about Linux users, everything suddenly made sense.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If someone started asking me about high school in a professional interview--for Canonical no less, I genuinely would not be able to stop laughing in the interviewers face and saying things like "tell me you peaked in high school without telling me you peaked in high school"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Even weirder as Ubuntu is, from my perspective, just Debian through a middleman.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
A colleague of mine had to pay some specialized service to certify that his Hungarian high-school education was equivalent to a US high-school graduation, for some US visa/immigration paperwork. This is despite the fact he already had a PhD from a US university.
You'd think after you'd got to a certain point they'd stop caring about whether you learnt your colors in kindergarten.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

I don't think many CEOs would. But the story posted up thread is about Canonical specifically, whose CEO is a known weirdo.

Ok. Did not know it was an insane real story.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Hobnob posted:

A colleague of mine had to pay some specialized service to certify that his Hungarian high-school education was equivalent to a US high-school graduation, for some US visa/immigration paperwork. This is despite the fact he already had a PhD from a US university.
You'd think after you'd got to a certain point they'd stop caring about whether you learnt your colors in kindergarten.

needing to go back and do a 10th grade chemistry test which i somehow missed or else my bachelors and masters degrees “won’t count” is a regular recurring nightmare for me despite the completing the degrees over a decade ago

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
My company screens all male candidates for potty training. You might think it's unnecessary and invasive, but you can never be sure nowadays, some guys just don't wipe their rear end anymore.

Edit: ^^^^^^ :same:

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 5, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

blackmet posted:

On the one hand, destroying your partners property on purpose is wrong.

On the other hand, I totally get not wanting a beehive in your backyard. But you should have just said no.

And I wonder how many times she got stung?

She didn’t get stung at all, she just smashed it and ran away. If she had actually tried to move it without smoking the bees or prepping anything she wouldn’t sitting calmly at the kitchen table when he came home, she’d be covered in bee stings or at the ER after going into anaphylactic shock. What a gross lady

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DemoneeHo posted:

A diamond poop knife is the only thing that can cut through the hardest of poops

She finally gave up details:

Yeah. Super weird. Who gives a 20 something year old a silver and rubies triptich depicting st. Dracula slaying a dragon

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hughlander posted:

AITAH for not telling my parents that my adopted son was my biological son until there was a financial reason to do so?

If you guessed he was the only male grandchild... YOU'RE RIGHT!
I liked where they insisted they'd sue for grandparent's rights, which 1) don't actually exist except in a tiny number of niche cases and jurisdictions, 2) even if they did they wouldn't apply to a sixteen year old, and 3) OP has a signed letter from them flatly stating that they don't consider him their grandson. Yeah, good luck with that.

I also liked the kid having figured out his real parenting situation years ago and only kept the kayfabe up because he thought it was funny.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Holy lol the insane amount of hoops this person jumped through just to be told by the CEO that without proof of a good high school GPA they weren't worth hiring.

"Why doesn't anyone want to work anymore?" -this CEO, probably

it's not legal to tell someone you don't want to hire them because they're a woman; Shuttleworth has been known to be a massive misogynist since the late naughts

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Beekeeper wife is a textbook abuser and I'm not sure why anyone is debating the relative threat level of common domestic pollinators. She smashed the poo poo out of something her husband loves and worked hard on and said it was for his own good. That's abuse, full stop, and I can virtually guarantee it's not the first time she's done stuff like this. Dude needs to gtfo immediately

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Irisi posted:

He was subsequently surprised by the fact his eight year old nephew took him by the hand, led him outside and showed him how to unpin a peg from a sheet, all the while instructing him in the kindly but slightly infantilising manner a care home worker might help an old man with memory loss who had forgotten how forks work.

The rest of the weekend was spent saying things like "This is hand soap, Uncle John, you use it to make bubbles, make sure you dont drink it!" and "This knife might be too sharp for you, Uncle John, I'll just cut your steak up for you". He seemed to get the message while he was with us, but it won't last once he goes back to his mums house.

I'm just catching up on the thread now, but it feels like everyone was talking about Unable-To-Operate-Hose Guy and passed over this awe-inspiring eight-year-old who figured out how to slam on an adult all weekend without getting in trouble for it. I love this kid.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

dervival posted:

it's not legal to tell someone you don't want to hire them because they're a woman; Shuttleworth has been known to be a massive misogynist since the late naughts

Being a white South African computer-toucher in the 1990s sure breaks your brain something fierce :thunk:

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Beekeeper wife is a textbook abuser and I'm not sure why anyone is debating the relative threat level of common domestic pollinators. She smashed the poo poo out of something her husband loves and worked hard on and said it was for his own good. That's abuse, full stop, and I can virtually guarantee it's not the first time she's done stuff like this. Dude needs to gtfo immediately

Nobody was debating. Everyone ITT was calling her an rear end in a top hat and talking about how awesome bees are. The only exception was the poster who originally posted the story.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shanghaied posted:

Nobody was debating. Everyone ITT was calling her an rear end in a top hat and talking about how awesome bees are. The only exception was the poster who originally posted the story.

No there was one dude in here who thought honey bees are scary and a safety hazard to the baby

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Propaniac posted:

Posting this because I'm hoping someone can inform me whether the boyfriend is stupid or this is a legitimate career pursuit.

How do I support my boyfriend when he is disappointed? (F25,M24)

It’s legit but it’s really fuckin hard. You need to do an absurd amount of traveling, you need to place decently well at competitions, and you need to a) have a bunch of sponsors and b) work your rear end off representing them. Plus there’s a thousand thousand other dudes out there trying to live the dream of professional fisherman who you’re competing with. It’s very much like deciding that you’ll become a streamer cause you love playing video games.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

idiotsavant posted:

It’s legit but it’s really fuckin hard. You need to do an absurd amount of traveling, you need to place decently well at competitions, and you need to a) have a bunch of sponsors and b) work your rear end off representing them. Plus there’s a thousand thousand other dudes out there trying to live the dream of professional fisherman who you’re competing with. It’s very much like deciding that you’ll become a streamer cause you love playing video games.

It's also like being a streamer in that it's really easy to become a video game streamer (just get a camera and mic and start streaming) or competition fisherman (show up to fishing competitions), it's the 'professional' part that's hard and that only a few people manage to pull off. People have a tendency to focus in on how easy 'doing the thing' is without paying attention to how hard 'making a living' or 'making good money' at the thing is.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenshin posted:

No there was one dude in here who thought honey bees are scary and a safety hazard to the baby
Lots of people have irrational fears about various arthropods. I think it's fine for someone not to want a beehive in their yard as long as unlike the OP they don't agree to it but then destroy it.

(honestly the bigger problem is probably people having monoculture grass lawns and using pesticides anyway)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

idiotsavant posted:

Also there are bizarre cheating scandals where dudes stuff dead fish with lead weights, or smuggle in frozen fish and "catch" them.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

wheatpuppy posted:

Also there are bizarre cheating scandals where dudes stuff dead fish with lead weights, or smuggle in frozen fish and "catch" them.

WE'VE GOT WEIGHTS IN FISH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

wheatpuppy posted:

AFAIK most of the tournaments these days are strictly live fish catch & release events, and you get penalized pretty seriously for dead fish. For boat tournaments they keep them in live wells & do a live weigh-in, and for kayak tournaments I think a lot of them do photo submissions where you lay the fish on a somewhat specific measuring board & take a photo that you submit to the tournament website before releasing it.

But you still have cheating of various sorts, just different types.