Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lady in my group at work is buying her first house and hoo boy you can really spend $900k on a 1500sq ft flip in the Seattle suburbs lol

just think how many fake led can-lights you can get for that price though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
How legal would it be to dig a pond on a property and put a boat on it and then to live in the boat in order to evade building codes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they would not let you build the pond op

but yes if you had a pond, I don’t think a houseboat would be covered since it’s not affixed

edit

I don’t know what you are doing with your sewage

euphronius has issued a correction as of 19:42 on May 2, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

surely she got a great intro rate and will refinance when jpow fixes everything before the election :)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

God drat right you don't :toughguy:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lady in my group at work is buying her first house and hoo boy you can really spend $900k on a 1500sq ft flip in the Seattle suburbs lol

name a better place to live than the bustling paradise of Newcastle

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Gotta have a guest bedroom, a hobby room, and a second guest bedroom but only for the kid’s friends on top of the two normal bedrooms. Can’t forget a formal living room downstairs with a velvet rope that remains immaculate and untouched in case the pope decides to pop by for a surprise visit as well as formal and casual dining rooms and a secondary guest kitchen.

You can fill up 4k easily with all that poo poo.

deranged

Ornery and Hornery posted:

name a better place to live than the bustling paradise of Newcastle

deranged

no lube so what has issued a correction as of 20:00 on May 2, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the second kitchens are always what throws me the most.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

when i lived in nigeria all the upper-middle-class apartments had a tiny apartment with a separate entrance called the BQ, or "boy's quarters", where the "boy" or servant lives

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

euphronius posted:

uhh there's a pond right there duh

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

Maybe they observe Kasrut and it's separate dairy and meat kitchens...? :thunk:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I think it's the BQ idea except its your aging parents/partner's parents who sort of live in the other part of the house as they slowly die while helping to make mortgage payments and look after children. in other words, "the help" gets some kind of kitchen which is frankly rather generous by some standards. how about a single electric hot plate??

real americans use the ADU (Accessory dwelling unit) to keep unwanted residents separated, and even realer americans dont have kids anyway and DINK their way to homeownership if they are lucky

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
if you’re on the lower end and you see a second kitchen it’s likely meant to be for an in-law apartment, sometimes of iffy legality.

on the high end with new construction, the second kitchen is either for the help or if you’re making something with strong smells (lots of spices, fish, etc).

open concept floor plans where the kitchen and entertaining areas all flow into one big space are still hot and have brought them into fashion because you really don’t want to have someone actively cooking dinner in the middle of your cocktail party, or making the whole place smell like salmon. which is also why the kitchen didn’t used to be in the middle of your living room to begin with.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

I'm leaving it in CSPAM

Apr 7, 2003

Squinky v2.0 posted:

open concept floor plans where the kitchen and entertaining areas all flow into one big space are still hot and have brought them into fashion because you really don’t want to have someone actively cooking dinner in the middle of your cocktail party, or making the whole place smell like salmon. which is also why the kitchen didn’t used to be in the middle of your living room to begin with.

lol so these people have "show kitchens" next to the public areas where the Viking range is and a real kitchen where the cooking happens

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol so these people have "show kitchens" next to the public areas where the Viking range is and a real kitchen where the cooking happens
I was removing artwork from an extremely wealthy person's home once. fifth ave, overlooking the park, home full of ellsworth kelly and chuck close paintings

we had to take a crate through the kitchen

it looked like it had never been updated since the 70s, appliances and all. because the owners never, ever, went in there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

still saw a box of lovely grape nuts though. all that wealth, and still eating loving cereal

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Grape nuts weed out those with weak teeth from the succession.

The second kitchen is for the meth lab that will support the lifestyle when the tech bubble collapses.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yes but they call the fake kitchen the kitchen and the real kitchen the "mess" or "catering" kitchen

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the second kitchen is for the caterers/chef to use yeah

unless you're jewish

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Squinky v2.0 posted:

if you’re on the lower end and you see a second kitchen it’s likely meant to be for an in-law apartment, sometimes of iffy legality.

Second kitchens (usually called "kitchenettes" even though they don't often fit that definition) are kind of common in a lot of the older split-level ranches around here, including this one prior to our non-consensual remodeling. Lots of these houses are or were under 2000 sq. ft., but the family room would have a little attached kitchen area for whatever reason.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Paradoxish posted:

Second kitchens (usually called "kitchenettes" even though they don't often fit that definition) are kind of common in a lot of the older split-level ranches around here, including this one prior to our non-consensual remodeling. Lots of these houses are or were under 2000 sq. ft., but the family room would have a little attached kitchen area for whatever reason.

it’s for parties and making drinks and getting hosed up

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
This week brought the local list of property reassessments to the mail. It is fun to look through the list of all the new "millionaires" or close to it whose valuations had been 500k ~5 years ago. Most of the most expensive stuff is held in the names of LLCs and poo poo but it's a small enough town that it's very easy to unmask people because there's not that many lots, all the parcels are easy to ID, etc.

Because of how Vermont taxes work, the hike in taxes will disproportionally hit lower/fixed-income people who have owned property for decades or generations, because they would never be able to afford their homes in todays market and do not have a level of income that aligns with their property.

I just crunched the numbers on what would happen if we were trying to (in 2024) buy a mortgage on the house we bought a mortgage on (in 2017) and my conclusion is :rubby: -- even if we could've afforded double the downpayment there is no way we would have been able to keep poo poo together at the more-than-double the monthly payment it would cost, and that's at a 30-year vs the 22-year we have now.

My wife is on the zoning board here and a substantial amount of the stuff in front of the board these days is middle/upper middle class families with 6-10 acre lots trying to subdivide them, because they have kids who want to move back to Vermont and even if you've got $100k+ a year in income that you can bring with you, good loving luck moving here right now unless you literally have someone willing to divide their property and let you build on it at cost, which is, again, ~ double what it would have been 5 years ago.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I just crunched the numbers on what would happen if we were trying to (in 2024) buy a mortgage on the house we bought a mortgage on (in 2017) and my conclusion is :rubby: -- even if we could've afforded double the downpayment there is no way we would have been able to keep poo poo together at the more-than-double the monthly payment it would cost, and that's at a 30-year vs the 22-year we have now.

We are so priced out of our neighborhood down here in CT that it's kind of baffling to think about sometimes. The assessed value of this house has effectively quadrupled which is basically fine since the mortgage is mostly paid off at this point and we live in a city with absurdly low property taxes, but a new mortgage on the property as-is right now would not even be in the ballpark for us. Like, not even as a deep, deep stretch.

We've also got one of the largest remaining undivided lots in this area because all the big ones got split up to build developments of McMansions. I had a realtor start getting visibly angry with me on my porch last year when I told him that we'll probably die in this house and we've got a long way to go.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

LuxuryLarva posted:

How legal would it be to dig a pond on a property and put a boat on it and then to live in the boat in order to evade building codes.

extremely legal and as your lawyer I have to say actually it would be quite illegal not to do so

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

any good case studies of cities in USA that regulate short term rentals?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

There was a lot of hand wringing in Palm Springs about it. Maybe that will turn up something?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Denver has a law that you can only Airbnb out your primary residence.

I don't know how effective they have been.

Speleothing has issued a correction as of 15:46 on May 5, 2024

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

We are so priced out of our neighborhood down here in CT that it's kind of baffling to think about sometimes. The assessed value of this house has effectively quadrupled which is basically fine since the mortgage is mostly paid off at this point and we live in a city with absurdly low property taxes, but a new mortgage on the property as-is right now would not even be in the ballpark for us. Like, not even as a deep, deep stretch.

We've also got one of the largest remaining undivided lots in this area because all the big ones got split up to build developments of McMansions. I had a realtor start getting visibly angry with me on my porch last year when I told him that we'll probably die in this house and we've got a long way to go.

Some people act funny when you tell them your current home is your forever home. They’ll insist you’ll run out of room for toys and will need more space as the kids get older. Plus everyone knows you gotta keep selling every five to ten years to climb the property ladder and wind up with a million dollar home you can cash out on when you retire.

The thought of actually putting down roots and not playing the same game our parents played just seems baffling to them.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Speleothing posted:

MickeyFinn posted:

There was a lot of hand wringing in Palm Springs about it. Maybe that will turn up something?

nice, thanks you two :)

always seems like enforcement is the biggest issue

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

nice, thanks you two :)

always seems like enforcement is the biggest issue

nyc has basically banned it I think, restrictions are not something people want to put up with

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Speleothing posted:

wife and I have stayed in airbnbs in Denver recently where this was 100% not the case. highly doubt they are enforcing it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

poemdexter posted:

wife and I have stayed in airbnbs in Denver recently where this was 100% not the case. highly doubt they are enforcing it.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that when you make $200,000 being a cop you are getting into real estate.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that when you make $200,000 being a cop you are getting into real estate.

in this economy??

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Had my Landbank inspection yesterday, the contractors came with guns and bullet proof vests branded as "Security Team 6"

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 15:35 on May 8, 2024

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Sarasota county in Florida does, there was a popular twitter thread from a while ago where someone who rats on illegal Airbnbs posted some of the death threats that they were getting on FB.

Apr 7, 2003

Anyone interested in buying a house and getting several hundred tires for free

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1607-Rutherford-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M30070-38499?from=srp-list-card

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

if the house catches on fire, would the presence of the tires provide a material positive impact on the situation

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
That's not a house. It's a shade-tree mechanic's shop. I'd hate to think what's soaked into the lawn.

Probably buy it for 70k, put 100k into it, have a 350k house in this market, though. .

anonumos has issued a correction as of 10:03 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
im the residential drop ceiling