Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's not literally aimed at children but it probably appeals to children in the same way something like Five Nights at Freddy's does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

mystes posted:

I think the majority of zoomers are over 18 now

Also the idea that anything that doesn't have lots of realistic sex and violence is automatically for kids is pretty dumb

However, the amazing digital circus is obviously imitating the style of kids shows so I see how people might assume its a kids show.

Well, it's not just sex and violence, but the material in the show combined with its animation style and voice action makes it seem like it is a show made for kids first. It just reminds me of a Saturday morning cartoon. Not to say that adults can't enjoy it or there is nothing for adults in it, just trying to explain why I think that it's made the way it is. I think its less of imitation and its just what the show is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the youtube ecosystem aimed at toddlers with ipads has latched onto TADC so regardless of the creators intent i think kids are watching it

https://twitter.com/sugarsmorecake/status/1773063013748068691

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I literally saw knockoff ADC plushies at the mall kiosk next to Among Us and Poppy Playtime.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's nothing objectionable in the amazing digital circus so it's clearly fine for all ages but I don't think the people who made it set out to make a kids show specifically, and it seems like even though it's less horror-ish, it's clearly inspired by stuff that takes a kids show-like setting and puts a horror spin on it like Amanda the Adventurer and Don't Hug me I'm Scared

I think it would take a massive lack of media literacy to look at something like Don't Hug me I'm Scared and conflate the fact that it looks like a show for preschoolers with the fact that teenagers are watching it to say that it's a kids show.

I think something similar is happening when people look at the amazing digital circus but it's much less extreme because it probably is actually fine for ages 8+ or so.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 5, 2024

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I disagree with it being a lack of media literacy. I think there is some overanalyzing of the show because of the creators and the hype. It's content and style are of a children's show and that is the product that was created. It might not have been the goal, but it was the result.

Edit: And it wasn't bad or anything. I laughed at some of the jokes because that goofy humor can be funny.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The Animation for Adults thread should know better than most that all cartoons are for children.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've been watching Delicious in Dungeon and it's great light-hearted fun for the most part.

The idea of a dungeon being an ecosystem and all the bizarre creatures filling important roles and the importance of surviving in the dungeon without disturbing that ecosystem too much is a brilliant idea. Also, no one does cooking and making food look delicious like anime does.

But, like the last light-hearted silly anime I watched, Mashle: Magic and Muscles where a guy born without magic goes to wizard school and cheeses every test with his muscle and fitness, you get half way through the season and it takes a sudden swerve into body horror.

I know the idea is to up the stakes so people don't get bored, but it's just such a tonal shift from what were silly little comedies up until that point. I've never liked it when comedies do that.

The Robin Williams movie, Good Morning Vietnam is a great comedy until half way through when they suddenly remember, oh Vietnam was a poo poo show, and rest of the movie bears almost no resemblance to the first half. And it's that movie which made me really dislike comedies which suddenly decide to be dramas.

You can have comedies with drama. And dramas with comedy. But a pure comedy switching to pure drama doesn't work and more than it would the other way around.

tl:dr I'll have a Wendys burger.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been watching Delicious in Dungeon and it's great light-hearted fun for the most part.

The idea of a dungeon being an ecosystem and all the bizarre creatures filling important roles and the importance of surviving in the dungeon without disturbing that ecosystem too much is a brilliant idea. Also, no one does cooking and making food look delicious like anime does.

But, like the last light-hearted silly anime I watched, Mashle: Magic and Muscles where a guy born without magic goes to wizard school and cheeses every test with his muscle and fitness, you get half way through the season and it takes a sudden swerve into body horror.

I know the idea is to up the stakes so people don't get bored, but it's just such a tonal shift from what were silly little comedies up until that point. I've never liked it when comedies do that.

The Robin Williams movie, Good Morning Vietnam is a great comedy until half way through when they suddenly remember, oh Vietnam was a poo poo show, and rest of the movie bears almost no resemblance to the first half. And it's that movie which made me really dislike comedies which suddenly decide to be dramas.

You can have comedies with drama. And dramas with comedy. But a pure comedy switching to pure drama doesn't work and more than it would the other way around.

Yeah earlier ITT I was asking why Delicious in Dungeon was rated Mature or whatever on Netflix because the first few episodes were extremely wholesome and people who knew it from the manga explained some of the violence that was coming up. I still like it quite a bit and found the most recent, more amusing episode with the doppelgangers to be one of the best yet, I expect the more violent bits will be sprinkled around for shock value and the rest will continue to be lighthearted

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
DiD's concept makes it initially come across as cutesier than it actually is, it's on the optimistic side but it's not a low-stakes cooking cartoon so much as a fantasy story that uses cooking and desire as a central theme/motif

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's a very complicated balancing act to nail. I think Helck and Yuusha ga Shinda are the only two that immediately come to mind that REALLY nail it well. Little off-topic, but if dungeon crawler series are your jam, look into Undead Adventurer. The anime was alright and got the main points across, but the manga is VERY solidly done.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

repiv posted:

the youtube ecosystem aimed at toddlers with ipads has latched onto TADC so regardless of the creators intent i think kids are watching it

https://twitter.com/sugarsmorecake/status/1773063013748068691

Someone please tell me that this is some kind of Tim & Eric nightmare comedy sketch and not a real thing aimed at children. The OS bedtime warning at the end is too perfect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Classy Devil posted:

Someone please tell me that this is some kind of Tim & Eric nightmare comedy sketch and not a real thing aimed at children. The OS bedtime warning at the end is too perfect.

It's a meme brah

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Classy Devil posted:

no it's 100% real and they have 37 million subs

https://www.youtube.com/@LankyBox/videos

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

repiv posted:

You know for having 37 million subs their viewcounts seem really low. I had to go back a month of videos to find just one that broke 1 million views. I guess they're going for more quantity than quality seeing as they release multiple videos every day.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

repiv posted:

lol gently caress

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

gurragadon posted:

Just watched The Amazing Digital Circus after the discussion in this thread. The animation jokes are so looney tunesy that it kind of takes away from any meta commentary they are trying to do. It is a kids show though, right? That is why the themes seem pretty undeveloped and kind of retread to me.

It's inspiration is "I have No Mouth and I must Scream".

So, not a kids show.

It has a kids show look since they're all stuck in a 90's like game setting type situation. It's a meta thing.

repiv posted:

I want to say this is purely one of those content farms, that pump out vids to a certain child audience since they are able to manipulate the youtube algorithm. There's a ton of them.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 5, 2024

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The key is that it was never a comedy. The show starts with someone being graphically eaten and a discussion of the logistics of them being digested with a completely straight face for a reason.

Dungeon Meshi never stops being an optimistic show, that having been said. But it's not unserious. The jokes usually have a point or tell you something about the characters which is important to know.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dungeon Meshi is a Dungeons & Dragons inspired series. One of the ways it is such a great adaptation of a tabletop campaign is that it integrates the comedy of tabletalk and poor rolls into the characterization and storytelling in a really healthy and robust way.

Every great tabletop campaign has elements of comedy and bathos because tabletop gaming is deeply intimate and vulnerable and also really goofy.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

It's the best thing Studio Trigger have done. I love the manga and so far this adaptation has been nailing everything perfectly. Captures the atmosphere of 'wholesome horror', great comedy timing and really tight action storytelling.

It takes a bit to get in to if you're coming to it as someone who doesn't have a familiarity with DnD, the way characters nonchalantly deal with some pretty gnarly stuff doesn't make sense until they've explained the universe a bit later on. Recommended it to my sister and she was very confused by the first episode or two. Now she adores it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think Dungeon Meshi is absolutely incredible as source material and as an adaptation but people sleep on the Gridman shows.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oxxidation posted:

its audience seems to be majority zoomers so categorically i think you could make that argument

like there's not too much "adult" about it beyond its pg-rated take on Harlan Ellison

yeah. id say its probably more on the older end of YA stuff. its not for kids but its not like graphic. more homestarruner like. Its ok.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flute repeatedly murdering Kang was a lot of fun on this week's Grimsburg.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have one big problem with Amazing Digital Circus's writing. In the scene where Gummigoo was having his breakdown, he looks at Pomni and says "I want you to tell me everything." And then it cuts away. And when it comes back, Gummigoo is fully broken down, having had everything explained to him and he's fully in despair over it. They just skipped over Pomni explaining it and his reaction to it. And like. I dunno. I feel like that's kind of an important scene? And then they did it again at the end, when they got to Kaufmo's funeral, and when people started saying stuff about Kaufmo, we didn't hear any of it, it kinda cut to a musical montage, and I think this one might be the worse of the two because the entire point of the funeral is that it shows Pomni that these guys really do care about each other and they'll be able to support her and is the first hint that she feels like she should let them in. Can we see the stuff that was said that made her feel that way!? Please?!

I'm also very annoyed at what they did with Gummigoo, because it was extremely obvious that that's what was gonna happen. I thought the idea of a character like Pomni, somebody who's clearly coming from a bad situation, self-actualizing by helping other people who feel like "nothing", starting with this NPC, would be a pretty cool emotional thru-line and then it just gets cut off immediately. And I get that that was the point. I'm supposed to be frustrated by it and I'm supposed to be annoyed with Caine and his terrible logic and his short-sightedness (you made an AI that was 57x more immersive and didn't see this coming, bro?), but like. I just think that what they did was less interesting than a lot of other potential avenues. But they could be planning something better and the fact that they made Gummigoo merch indicates to me that they're probably not done with that character. Sooooo we'll see.

I like the show, I really like the character writing, but it has some flaws that are making for a kinda frustrating watch two episodes in.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

muscles like this! posted:

Flute repeatedly murdering Kang was a lot of fun on this week's Grimsburg.

Grimsburg is so weird in such a fun way, I'm hoping it avoids cancelation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Grimsburg is so weird in such a fun way, I'm hoping it avoids cancelation.

Like pretty much any Fox animated show it was already renewed for at least another season.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

muscles like this! posted:

Like pretty much any Fox animated show it was already renewed for at least another season.

I know, which is frankly a smart movie given how animation production works and how long it takes, but I'm hoping it makes it to a third.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MJeff posted:

I have one big problem with Amazing Digital Circus's writing. In the scene where Gummigoo was having his breakdown, he looks at Pomni and says "I want you to tell me everything." And then it cuts away. And when it comes back, Gummigoo is fully broken down, having had everything explained to him and he's fully in despair over it. They just skipped over Pomni explaining it and his reaction to it. And like. I dunno. I feel like that's kind of an important scene? And then they did it again at the end, when they got to Kaufmo's funeral, and when people started saying stuff about Kaufmo, we didn't hear any of it, it kinda cut to a musical montage, and I think this one might be the worse of the two because the entire point of the funeral is that it shows Pomni that these guys really do care about each other and they'll be able to support her and is the first hint that she feels like she should let them in. Can we see the stuff that was said that made her feel that way!? Please?!

I'm also very annoyed at what they did with Gummigoo, because it was extremely obvious that that's what was gonna happen. I thought the idea of a character like Pomni, somebody who's clearly coming from a bad situation, self-actualizing by helping other people who feel like "nothing", starting with this NPC, would be a pretty cool emotional thru-line and then it just gets cut off immediately. And I get that that was the point. I'm supposed to be frustrated by it and I'm supposed to be annoyed with Caine and his terrible logic and his short-sightedness (you made an AI that was 57x more immersive and didn't see this coming, bro?), but like. I just think that what they did was less interesting than a lot of other potential avenues. But they could be planning something better and the fact that they made Gummigoo merch indicates to me that they're probably not done with that character. Sooooo we'll see.

I like the show, I really like the character writing, but it has some flaws that are making for a kinda frustrating watch two episodes in.

While I hold the opinion that the writing in ADC borders on outsider art, if you've seen episode 1, you already know everything Pomni knows. It would be pretty bad writing to recap that one episode later, wouldn't it?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

While I hold the opinion that the writing in ADC borders on outsider art, if you've seen episode 1, you already know everything Pomni knows. It would be pretty bad writing to recap that one episode later, wouldn't it?

It doesn't have to be an essay. it would be interesting to learn her personal interpretation. and see some reactions back and forth

i.e

Farscape welcoming a new character posted:

Jool: Then why did I survive?
John: I don't know. You're not sick. Maybe they shanghaied you for body parts. You're the freebie.
Jool: Everything I have seen so far is despicable.
John: Welcome to the Federation Starship S.S. Buttcrack!

the particular restrictions the show places on itself with its plot does make it harder though.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 7, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One of the creators of the Amazing Digital Circus tweeted that there's no overarching deep existentialist plot to the show. Just a bunch of silly episodes about the characters.

Which is pretty much not what everyone was expecting, I think.

edit: found the tweet

https://twitter.com/GooseworxMusic/status/1787111810556129536

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 7, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I mean, the show prettymuch spilled its entire premise in the first minute or two of the first episode. If there was a mystery to be had, it seems the writer was not interested in trying to build it up or anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people are desperately thirsty for building mystery stuff and just keep getting burned on it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Did nobody learn from Lost?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Neeksy posted:

Did nobody learn from Lost?

Lost is the best tv show that ever existed so everyone should learn from Lost

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They certainly didn't spend any time learning how to pare down a script so it doesn't pointlessly drag out a scene, or edit the yawning chasms between dialogue, or how to construct an environment like a set instead of a box that you drop characters and props into, or how to actually direct a scene instead of just putting a camera down somewhere in the distance and vaguely moving it about to keep everyone in shot.

It feels like a very earnest project with a lot of passion behind it, made by someone who has spent their life exclusively orbiting the constellation of FNAF/SU and its satellites, solely consuming reaction videos and lore deep dives and who hasn't properly watched an actual film or professional animation in years, certainly not with the kind of critical eye that you should have if you're trying to make something of your own.

The creator saying that it's tortured souls all the way down is pretty well the nail in the coffin for me, there's nothing here for me and clearly isn't going to be.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

A lot of these works want to deal in subject matter they really don't seem interested in nor are particularly equipped to deal with intellectually.
Making a show about heaven/hell but then having no real sense of christian mythology, morality, ideology, or how societies function.
Making a show about existential horror but having nothing to say other than "isn't that hosed up? look at how traumatized she looks!" as the ultimate punchline.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One of the creators of the Amazing Digital Circus tweeted that there's no overarching deep existentialist plot to the show. Just a bunch of silly episodes about the characters.

I'm all for that frankly and think that's the right move.

The mystery of what is happening is solved in the first episode if you pay attention: They're in a computer. All of the humans had their brains scanned and were made into little digital clones and while their original selves are off living their lives the digital clones are stuck in the computer forever and the only way that ends is if they undergo total ego death and abstract. That's it, that's the premise.

It's like that one Dungeon Meshi bonus comic, but doodle Laios is the main character.

There isn't a grander mystery to be solved, it's more about exploring how the people trapped in that situation react to it and how they deal with it (or fail to deal with it), that's the existential aspect.

Neeksy posted:

Making a show about existential horror but having nothing to say other than "isn't that hosed up? look at how traumatized she looks!" as the ultimate punchline.

Yeah you're missing the point if that's your take away from The Amazing Digital Circus.

The funeral scene pretty much spelled out the shows take on existential horror: even in a universe without inherit meaning, we can still give meaning to each other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I like stories about tortured souls sometimes better than shows about deep existential lore, cf. my preferring Helluva Boss to Hazbin Hotel. But I'm also just not real wild about the characters in TDAC. I don't give a crap whether Jax ever stops being a gratuitous rear end in a top hat or if we ever find out what Kinger's deal is or if Zooble falls in a hole and disappears. They're just kind of weird shapes in the background to have occasional dialogue come out of.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Data Graham posted:

I mean I like stories about tortured souls sometimes better than shows about deep existential lore, cf. my preferring Helluva Boss to Hazbin Hotel. But I'm also just not real wild about the characters in TDAC. I don't give a crap whether Jax ever stops being a gratuitous rear end in a top hat or if we ever find out what Kinger's deal is or if Zooble falls in a hole and disappears. They're just kind of weird shapes in the background to have occasional dialogue come out of.

That's fair! Shows not for you and that's fine. I like it though, I enjoy these weirdos and I want to learn more about their little weirdo lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I got no problem if the show is about the characters, there can be some good stuff mined there.

Am willing to give the show more than it's fair shake to see where it goes with them.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 7, 2024