Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

Yeah I meant it as "That's a neat look at a different time" not so much in a snarky way.

But still it feels to me a little old fashioned even for the 80s. I don't remember my mom writing a bunch of letters, but I might just not have seen that.

I do remember she always wanted me to write thank you notes for Christmas/birthday gifts and I hated it.

The strips we're currently reading originally ran in the mid-'90s. I also do not recall my mother writing a lot of letters at that time. Nor were phone calls considered prohibitively expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The mother in FOOB could be referring to letters to the editor she writes and mails to newspapers each morning, detailing both her mundane household grievances and her numerous bizarre conspiracy theories.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 4/23/61

Finally something that 100% came true!

e:F,B

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 5, 2024

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Vox Valentine posted:

Our National Nightmare Is Over, The New Baby Is Here, Now The Cartoonist Can Plot Less

... A coyote who has presumably lived there for years and not bothered anybody; leave him the gently caress alone.

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

gently caress you, tip the goddamn driver!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why is the child calvin

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
His mom is from our universe and turned into a rabbit in Hellverse. He was born human and not rabbit because Holbrook understands DNA as well as Konami does reasons.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... A coyote who has presumably lived there for years and not bothered anybody; leave him the gently caress alone.

gently caress you, tip the goddamn driver!

you tip the driver on the app

the hiding from the driver is just normal avoiding social interaction with a stranger

leave the order at the door

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 02, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

But...but it's Sunday. :negative:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Murdstone posted:

But...but it's Sunday. :negative:

Alas, our sins are great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 02, 2002)

Cut! Please don't stick your hand in the camera, Arlo. Places, everyone!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

This took some doing

In the original the juice bar was called "Makusi mukaan", which means "according to your taste" ("makusi" = the genetive second person form of "maku", taste" and "mukaan" = according to, but also along with, bring along etc). The truck's shadow was covering the first two letters in "makusi", and the visible part was therefore "kusi" = piss.

So we have "According to your taste" or "takeaway piss".

Interestingly in Finnish the food-related euphemism for money isn't "cheese" or "cheddar", but "jam".

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

His mom is from our universe and turned into a rabbit in Hellverse. He was born human and not rabbit because Holbrook understands DNA as well as Konami does reasons.

And Danielle was murdering and eating people within a week or two of being transported to Hellworld, turning into a rabbit, and being mistaken for her dead counterpart.

I think she eventually got a memory dump from her counterpart's ghost, I'm not sure.

Lindesfarne is also a human who came through the portal, with the primary difference being that it happened to Lindesfarne as an infant, which is presumably part of the reason why Turvy has not spontaneously become human.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

What is the tentacle monster doing to that poor dog :ohdear:

Pluggers

Pluggers have started their own banal theology.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/13/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/16/1994)

Ziggy

(12/13/1971)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this the first acknowledgement of Jon’s career since the 70s?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

If you can fly thing, you can fly everything.

Nancy

Dustin

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I don't know, the trees all being dead would seem to point to an evil presence in the house. Or possibly a chemical spill causing it to be abandoned. Mind that "keep out" sign, kids.

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Flashback Gordon.

FoxTrot

Perhaps Cartoonist Day is why Jon was actually drawing a comic strip.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not a very honourable duel when one guy gets a spiked staff and the other a straight one. Hard to hang your god-given superiority on the outcome of a fight when you cheated yourself an equipment upgrade. It even seems like he knew he didn't need an advantage.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Flashback Gordon.

this comic loving rules

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 15, 1977)

Crankshaft

Thimble Theater (December 8, 1940)

Popeye

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/4/04

Brenda Starr 2/23-25/53

Smokey Stover 4/30/61

Everyday Movies 7/2/37

"Let's try the lake again. That's where Flo met her guy last summer."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/23-25/43

Closer Than We Think! 4/30/61

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Blackie, don't read this

Legs, hello

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus, Blackie's an idiot

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 4/30/61

I don't know, I think designing and creating clothes from scratch would still require considerable skill and effort, even if you've got a snazzy fabric glue.

Like if you got some kind of futuristic power saw, you'd still need to know what the hell you're doing carpentry-wise before you could turn out beautiful custom furniture.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

I don't know, I think designing and creating clothes from scratch would still require considerable skill and effort, even if you've got a snazzy fabric glue.

Like if you got some kind of futuristic power saw, you'd still need to know what the hell you're doing carpentry-wise before you could turn out beautiful custom furniture.

We're still in the era where a sewing machine was standard equipment in most homes and women were expected to be able to make and alter their (and their family's) clothes. So it's not that unusual, even if the average woman wasn't going to be competing with Coco Chanel.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Powered Descent posted:

FoxTrot

Perhaps Cartoonist Day is why Jon was actually drawing a comic strip.

Glad tidings of the day, by the way.

https://bsky.app/profile/georgiadunnbcn.bsky.social/post/3krqyun2osj2d

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

YEAAAAH! I am into this!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

BCN is something I kind of pass over a lot of the time, but I do like this.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Probably crass to speculate on the artist's personal life but it is interesting that these strips come a few months after Georgia Dunn announced her divorce.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Come on if you're going to post a recipe strip you have to at least make a drawing of it looking like absolute garbage like how Cheap Thrills Cuisine used to.

Alley Oop

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i hate looking at alley oop, the main character design is grotesque

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i hate looking at alley oop, the main character design is grotesque

Mostly it's the jokes that go nowhere for me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

rannum posted:

Also re: WAR Husband

From what we see he's pretty involved with his Kid's life (frequently taking him out on his own, playing with him, holding him when Mom's not around, etc) and handles him well enough. We know he seems fairly chill with her openness too (I had a chuckle at a little aside in one of the comments about one of her new boyfriends she was with while traveling), and still accepted the child as his own. The only real complaints she's made towards him was being useless at night. And even that felt more exaggerated because of the stressful situation she was talking about.

I think for the most part he's just sidelined in these stories less because he's a lump and more because she understandably wants the focus to be on her & her kid, which is why the husband usually just shows up as a reaction shot, someone to bounce a set up off of, or for a joke aka what she does with all her many many many celebrity friends.

These are more or less my belated but still relevant thoughts on him too. I find him really interesting as a character, because he definitely starts out as a useless lump not good for much except for asides, but you can see the author's opinion on him change a lot over time. Just the way he's drawn now, he looks a lot larger, a lot more assertive, and a lot more masculine. I thought the essays were really interesting context on the relationship because they give the impression that she initially saw their relationship as one of convenience, what with her being polyamorous and him being an indifferent slacker who was down for anything she asked for, including having sex in the delivery room. She didn't want to marry him because she thought this dynamic would change to a typical patriarchal relationship if she did, and also thought he'd be happier with someone more similarly whitebread to himself anyway.

I definitely get the impression from how he's changed over time, though, that her perspective on this shifted. He was an indifferent slacker to her, not because he didn't really care, but precisely because he did care so much that he preferred to be hands off because that was the kind of boyfriend best suited for her personality and lifestyle. Maybe she couldn't believe that when their relationship was mainly just sex with each other, but once the son enters the mix, and he shows that exact same kind of commitment to him too...well, I'm just saying "baby in 92, married in 95" sounds pretty much exactly correct for how we've seen their relationship evolve.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cowslips Warren posted:

comics and titles are swapped! i couldn't remember when Steelfingers got a gatling gun but I was like well, Blueberry is DEAD now.

:sweatdrop: d'oy. Thanks for pointing it out.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

and... since I've promised it for a while, and I've made a backlog of it, I might as well start posting the NEXT translation project I've been working on - ANOTHER Western comic! This one is a comic from the late 60s-70s called Comanche written by Michel Régnier AKA Greg and illustrated by Hermann Huppen, AKA Hermann. I won't be updating it as regularly as Blueberry and Corto, seeing as I haven't finished the translating, maybe three times a week, we shall see.

But first! I will admit straight up, this will not be a word-for-word translation, but much like my work with Blueberry, an adapted translation (some terms don't translate well one-to-one, some things are out of date), I will point out the most egregious examples and my justifications thereof, but I've been enjoying it so far, and I hope you do, too! So:

Comanche

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

With so many other comics having poo poo, awful parents, it's always nice to see the parents in Wallace being consistently excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Come on if you're going to post a recipe strip you have to at least make a drawing of it looking like absolute garbage like how Cheap Thrills Cuisine used to.
Hmm, fairly solid chili recipe, definitely uses the right amount of cumin, but with a cup and a half of chicken broth and one can of beans it's definitely gonna come out pretty soupy. You're going to want to either throw in more beans or more beef and also just let it cook for more than 10 minutes on low, go for at least a hour. I'm not gonna be a super chili snob where you have to grind your own roast peppers down into powder, this is legitimately a pretty solid starting point for a cheap-and-easy chili recipe, but throw a can of diced tomatoes in there and sautee some peppers and onions before adding the meat and you'll have a pretty good chili with some extra veggie in it. Alternately this is a solid starting point recipe for chili mac, keep the beans and beef where they are, add the canned tomatoes and throw some more tomato paste in there and when it boils add some elbow macaroni or shells and reduce heat and cook.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horny_%2798 south park as a whole has aged like mud in the sun but the Horny '98 joke track on Chef Aid is a legitimately funny bit.

honestly years of dealing with Lucy and the football would perfectly prepare Charlie Brown for the reality of sales goals.