Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mongol expy and token black guy are alienated and alone, however

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

2 iron guys, 2 batmans, 2 wolf guys, 2 alpha legion guys, etc

then the Ultramarines show up.

Not the best at everything,
Just the best at logistics

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The loyalists are just the ones he made the least number of mistakes with

The loyalists as a rule tended to be the ones who got to actually stay in touch with the people who raised them and became functional in their own right, with a relationship with the Emperor more like a vassal to a lord, while the traitors were variously alienated and coddled and tried to look to Big E as a father figure, lol.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This loving thread I bought some ghosts and paints from Warhammer Games Workshop today and my lore is that they come out of the walls with hairy nuts and a dingleberry and do a cum shot.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/Mavairohax/status/1786522926038016246

He's right you know.

I dislike when people complain about the Tau being too nice since I always saw them as a 'normal' sci-fi faction like the federation from Star Trek that have stumbled into a nonsensical universe of interstellar wars being fought at melee range against demons.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Disco Pope posted:

This loving thread I bought some ghosts and paints from Warhammer Games Workshop today and my lore is that they come out of the walls with hairy nuts and a dingleberry and do a cum shot.

wanna see dem ghosts (either of the incorporeal or Dan Abnett variety)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
good guy-ness and straight man-ness don't have to come together

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like when the Tau are relatively nice. I think having a friendly faction is fun :)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ordinary nation-state bastard realpolitik vs. summoning demons from hell vs. mega-theocratics with every single dystopia ever imagined by human beings stuffed in there somewhere for good measure

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Primarch backgrounds are fun since they're basically all mythic hero/superhero/supervillain origin stories from different genres, and then the Emperor comes along and usually fucks things up for no reason.

Though he did join Leman Russ in a drinking contest.

i like that he rolls up to the feral street rat batman primarch and tells him his name is Konrad Curze now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also I like the take that the Tau don't genocide human populations, the birth rates dropping are just what happens when you take a medieval slum population and give them access to education, contraceptives and emigration.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also I like the take that the Tau don't genocide human populations, the birth rates dropping are just what happens when you take a medieval slum population and give them access to education, contraceptives and emigration.

Weird question, but what is life like on the average planet? Is it just normal stuff, or should I be thinking more of a medieval hellscape like Hard to Be a God?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Weird question, but what is life like on the average planet? Is it just normal stuff, or should I be thinking more of a medieval hellscape like Hard to Be a God?

Up to you, writer of the particular world. The only consistent thing of the Empire is the Emperor and the inconsistency

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Probably a horrible urban hellscape hive city?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Life in the Imperium varies, and by law there's allowed to be quite a bit of diversity in culture, politics and religion (variants of the state religion anyway) and it's even not out of the question to have a democracy electing the Planetary Governor. However, the default is basically somewhere around Mega City 1 at best, and usually stratified neofeudalism where the have-nots are justifiably terrified at any meaningful displeasure from the haves. And immensely wasteful and dysfunctional on the micro as the macro.

In some ways the Imperium can almost resemble the Federation with its internal diversity, squabbles and relatively light touch to enforcement unless you really gently caress up. (Or the Administratum did) This is primarily pragmatic, as they're stretched and divided enough as it is without starting even more internal conflict.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 5, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

khwarezm posted:

https://twitter.com/Mavairohax/status/1786522926038016246

He's right you know.

I dislike when people complain about the Tau being too nice since I always saw them as a 'normal' sci-fi faction like the federation from Star Trek that have stumbled into a nonsensical universe of interstellar wars being fought at melee range against demons.

I like the alternative take that in Star Trek or a similar series they actually would be seen as a villainous race given they're building a caste-based hegemony at the point of a gun but because they are willing to try soft power first and won't kill you outright if they win they're one of the more moral factions in 40k by default.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Tau is not less morally good than the Federation, which is itself a morally gray institution at best.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

QuarkJets posted:

The Tau is not less morally good than the Federation, which is itself a morally gray institution at best.

I mean when's the last time the Federation forced a species into membership at gunpoint?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

QuarkJets posted:

that's romulan talk

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
perhaps they were mistaking star trek for warhams

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean when's the last time the Federation forced a species into membership at gunpoint?

The audience never gets to see the "Second Contact" Federation ships deploying their fleets of dune buggies to supress the local populace with massive clouds of dust kicked-up by all their sick jumps

naem
May 29, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I like the alternative take that in Star Trek or a similar series they actually would be seen as a villainous race given they're building a caste-based hegemony at the point of a gun but because they are willing to try soft power first and won't kill you outright if they win they're one of the more moral factions in 40k by default.

I agree with the Tau as the tragicomic straight man, it’s fun

orks: SMASH! KRUMP! FIGHTIN!

tau: My Goodness clearly this people just needs Enlightened Leadership *laser noises*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Probably the Klingons if you ask them, but usually if they want your world Starfleet doesn't force you to join they just relocate all of your people Trail Of Tears style which feels like a very Tau thing to do

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

ChickenHeart posted:

The audience never gets to see the "Second Contact" Federation ships deploying their fleets of dune buggies to supress the local populace with massive clouds of dust kicked-up by all their sick jumps

there is a rick and morty like cartoon about star trek second contact and it is basically this

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

ChickenHeart posted:

Lower Decks entire series is about the light cruisers who show up to do Second Contact which sometimes simultaneously both destroy and then save (some of) your home planet. God help you if your planet has Diritiham Crystals to mine, because it WILL be mined enough to wipe out your intelligent rock species.

I'm sure there's at least one episode with dune buggies (or will be in the upcoming last season).

naem
May 29, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

there is a rick and morty like cartoon about star trek second contact and it is basically this

https://youtu.be/18O2tiCxZ8E?si=iiFldi_cTaEhx8gq

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

Is that where jaghatai khan ran off to?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Yvonmukluk posted:

When the tau were first released the crisis suits and helmets and guns led fans to bemoan that the tau were a faction for weebs and represented a lightening of the grimdark.

At some point someone mentioned that the design of the tau as a multicultural high tech combined arms race with desert camo being released circa 2001 actually made them more like the US Army, and that comparison has only gotten more apt as time has gone on frankly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Comstar posted:

Lower Decks entire series is about the light cruisers who show up to do Second Contact which sometimes simultaneously both destroy and then save (some of) your home planet. God help you if your planet has Diritiham Crystals to mine, because it WILL be mined enough to wipe out your intelligent rock species.

I'm sure there's at least one episode with dune buggies (or will be in the upcoming last season).
Which episode was wiping out rock people? I don’t remember that one.

QuarkJets posted:

Probably the Klingons if you ask them, but usually if they want your world Starfleet doesn't force you to join they just relocate all of your people Trail Of Tears style which feels like a very Tau thing to do

I mean I think that happened in one of the movies but wasn’t it just one guy that the Enterprise had to stop?

But you’re not wrong that it’s a Tau thing to do the latest codex does confirm that yeah the Tau will relocate your entire species if they think your planet can be better utilised.

Torchlighter posted:

When the tau were first released the crisis suits and helmets and guns led fans to bemoan that the tau were a faction for weebs and represented a lightening of the grimdark.

At some point someone mentioned that the design of the tau as a multicultural high tech combined arms race with desert camo being released circa 2001 actually made them more like the US Army, and that comparison has only gotten more apt as time has gone on frankly.
Yeah, apparently Gav Thorpe directly stated that Western interventionism was an influence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, it should say something that the one sci-fi empire they bring to mind for me is the Covenant from Halo, being a multi-species hegemonic empire with a priestly ruling caste (even if they're nominally an atheist state) and fairly strict roles by race and caste. Or by Star Trek standards, the Dominion, though a bit less prone to overreaction.

Torchlighter posted:

I've said before but it's uncanny how they were even spot on with drone warfare.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
The Horus Heresy series already had a Federation equivalent: the Interex. They were capable of fighting (with warriors almost as good as Space Marines) but preferred diplomacy. They had several other species in their society and built a prison world for one species that only wanted to kill.

Also importantly for the setting, they knew about Chaos and set themselves against it. That was probably something that the Emperor should have built into his plan. In the end they decided that the Imperium with its genocidal ambitions and supreme title of 'Warmaster' was already corrupted by Chaos. They then got wiped out when they rejected the Imperium.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Emperor is the Chaos God of Tyranny, why would stopping himself be in his own plan?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Only the wise Aun'O can put a stop to this madness :japan:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Tau are engaging in a limited, peace-keeping operation in order to secure the well being of various peoples in conflict zones alongside their borders at the behest of persecuted ethnic groups within those territories.

<loads up a sick mech with a pinup kroot on the side while Fortunate Son plays on loop>

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Plucky Brit posted:

The Horus Heresy series already had a Federation equivalent: the Interex. They were capable of fighting (with warriors almost as good as Space Marines) but preferred diplomacy. They had several other species in their society and built a prison world for one species that only wanted to kill.

Also importantly for the setting, they knew about Chaos and set themselves against it. That was probably something that the Emperor should have built into his plan. In the end they decided that the Imperium with its genocidal ambitions and supreme title of 'Warmaster' was already corrupted by Chaos. They then got wiped out when they rejected the Imperium.
The Interex realizing, with dawning horror, "oh my God you dumbshits are gallivanting around the galaxy and using the warp willy-nilly and you don't know what Chaos is, no wonder nothing you've said or done makes any sense whatsoever, you are an existential threat to literally reality itself unless someone sits you down right now and explains some very important poo poo" and the Imperium responding with "HOW DARE YOU NOT INSTANTLY ACCEPT OUR FLAWLESS INTERNET ATHEISM ALSO YOU LOOKED AT AN ALIEN, WE SAW YOU, KILL PURGE MAIM" is one of the better black comedy bits of the Heresy.

naem
May 29, 2011

the Imperium were shocked at the Interex complete lack of shoulder pads

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What is the latest lore on the Tau strict caste system and the relationship with aliens slotting into society?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What is the latest lore on the Tau strict caste system and the relationship with aliens slotting into society?

The Tau themselves don’t seem to mind the caste system at all, with the exception of some Fire Caste leaders who chafe at the lack of operational independence. The non-Tau members, being technically outside the caste system are always inferior to Tau. This is typically presented as a teacher/student type relationship. But the Kroot basically do their own thing anyway so they don’t mind. And it seems like most humans are just happy to live in a society where they won’t be ground to corpse paste or turned into a servitor, even if it means their boss is always an alien.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gripweed posted:

The Tau themselves don’t seem to mind the caste system at all, with the exception of some Fire Caste leaders who chafe at the lack of operational independence. The non-Tau members, being technically outside the caste system are always inferior to Tau. This is typically presented as a teacher/student type relationship. But the Kroot basically do their own thing anyway so they don’t mind. And it seems like most humans are just happy to live in a society where they won’t be ground to corpse paste or turned into a servitor, even if it means their boss is always an alien.
And of course the repeated refrain that everybody seems to be very happy with this insanely restrictive caste system is equally plausible evidence that it's propaganda or that there's mind control afoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I just like the way that, because of the aforementioned irritation that the Tau are too nice for the setting among a lot of people, there's often this undercurrent along the lines of 'Oh the Tau are actually evil! The Ethereals might use soft mind control, or at least mind influence, their society is highly regimented and they don't treat new races as full equals!' and then you compare that to the best of the other factions being xenocidal, hyper racist freaks who have a relentlessly oppressive, unequal, and coercive society, complete with far more crude and horrific forms of mind control if they need it, and I'll take being around the Ethereals making me more suggestible to their whims over that alternative. Hell even when talking about the Tau relationships with allied species like the Kroot, it just sounds like they leave them with massive amounts of autonomy and don't really even try to impose their culture on them so long as they pay taxes and recruit troops, more like some hands off Persian Empire type setup rather than a fascist police state.

In short, the worst thing about the Tau compared to any other faction is the... vibes I guess?

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 6, 2024