Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

tsob posted:

Monsha would do it because he's an arrogant prick who would 100% think himself superior, and Gato would respond for the same reason.

Monsha is a gigantic prick but he’s been shown to be pretty no-nonsense when it comes to the actual mobile suit fights against Zeon

Gato was honestly about to leave Kou on ignore for most of their fight, but it’s when Kou talked about the Federation being disgraced after the nuke, that’s what pushed Gato’s waxing button in a “this man is salty, as one tends to be in war, but I’m going to prove that I am enlightened and am above the salt” in a sense. I don’t see Monsha having anything of value to say to Gato besides maybe a “gently caress you, you suck”

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guyver posted:

Started watching Witch from Mercury.

Someone at sunrise really liked Utena.

Would it surprise you to learn that the writer literally wrote an Utena novel

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do you think anyone at feddy high command tried to get amuro off the bench when gp02 got stolen

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
definitely not

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Probably not because they were likely in on the same conspiracy to let the fuckups chase down the stolen nuke rather than launch a full scale manhunt.

If Amuro was chasing down the GP-02 he probably would have sniped Gato in the crossfire without even realizing it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1787181862483284429

Tim Robinson listening to Char at the end of CCA:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Gato wouldn't even have time to respond. By the end of the show he's reduced himself to being a blathering airbag that does nothing but spout bad poetry and wax lyrical about how heavy his burden is to be such an awesome/cursed bushido man.

The funny thing about Gato is how at the start of Stardust he had the same thing, but the show realized him being a bit of a windbag was funny. By the end, he's just as windbaggy, but it's not played as a gag.

As for Cima, she's the one Feddie asset in the show who accomplished anything. Competence excuses a wide variety of sins.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A friend of mine who works in games says that in a lot of ways, what matters about a character is their visual design, because if people like how a character looks they will forgive poor writing or evil behavior -- perhaps not to an unlimited extent, but incredibly far. Anyway, Cima did nothing wrong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nessus posted:

If people like how a character looks they will forgive poor writing or evil behavior -- perhaps not to an unlimited extent, but incredibly far.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cima deserves to be a in a better series and I'm kinda of shocked we haven't gotten a prequel manga with her a lead

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Would it surprise you to learn that the writer literally wrote an Utena novel

Not in the slightest.

This is Sulletta's mom isn't it. Going to watch episode three tonight.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly prospera's mask/helmet is kinda dumb looking

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cima deserves to be a in a better series and I'm kinda of shocked we haven't gotten a prequel manga with her a lead

She got a radio drama, and it got animated, so that's something. Mayfly of Space. Released initially in 1993, with a segment getting full anime treatment, a motion comic was made to cover the rest in 2016. It's been fan localized, so it's available for watching if you're looking to.

It's pretty good, and is a big part of why she's moved from "I like the tall, hot pirate queen who backstabs everyone. She's got style." to "Cima did nothing wrong, why is the universe so cruel?"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

Honestly prospera's mask/helmet is kinda dumb looking

it's medical

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does anyone have that clip from the gundam 00 dub of setsuna going I'm still fighting and marina being like huh???

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://twitter.com/dearcrowns/status/1612678289285324804?s=19

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cima stands out because the rest of the cast of 0083 are so awful. there are also gato fans. they are wrong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Brad Swaile you will always be one of the goats

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Brad Swaile you will always be one of the goats

Too true. Must be some story as to why he played Setsuna instead of Ribbons, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think the Gundam character who is most prominent in their own series but no one ever talks about is Saji Crossroad. Nobody ever has any hot Saji Crossroad takes, nobody ever brings up something cool Saji Crossroad did, nobody ever talks about a funny thing you can do with Saji Crossroad in Super Robot Wars.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
He's an incredibly straightforward character so I'm not sure what hot takes there could be unless you try to be deliberately inflammatory. Though in the movie he did whine about not being in the Celestial Being movie and hit an alien with a steel chair.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

haypliss posted:

He's an incredibly straightforward character so I'm not sure what hot takes there could be unless you try to be deliberately inflammatory. Though in the movie he did whine about not being in the Celestial Being movie and hit an alien with a steel chair.

A full version of the opening of the 00 movie would be the best expanded 00 material ever made

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hey, I was just bringing up him telling Setsuna that his name sounds unusual. Saji Crossroad said someone else’s name was weird. Saji Crossroad.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I still wonder if Saji was intended as a replacement for lockon before the latter became so popular that they needed to replace him with his twin brother.

It seemed like a solid through line. Two kids traumatized by war, ending up on opposite sides of the conflict to do battle with one another.

Except the reality is that Saji spent the entirety of those battles facing the wrong way in the 0 raiser's cockpit which sort of muted the impact.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lockon 2.0 is in the first season

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

I still wonder if Saji was intended as a replacement for lockon before the latter became so popular that they needed to replace him with his twin brother.

It seemed like a solid through line. Two kids traumatized by war, ending up on opposite sides of the conflict to do battle with one another.

Except the reality is that Saji spent the entirety of those battles facing the wrong way in the 0 raiser's cockpit which sort of muted the impact.

Lockon 2: Lock Harder shows up in the first season so probably not.

To be honest if I think Saji was planned for anything early on it would be replacing Setsuna. There's at least some weight behind the idea that at one point 00 was intended to end with all or almost all of Celestial Being dying/at least appearing dead and we'd get new pilots in part 2. Obviously if that was planned it changed probably pre-production but at least enough lingers around that you get like Soma and Saji joining CB and then kind of just hanging out.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I love Lockon 2. You get the triple whammy: the originals tragic death, the "just call me Landfill" moment of 2 showing up, and then expanding on him being an individual. Plus the whole conceit is just silly as gently caress. Lockon 2 is the best part of 00.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Lockon 2 is the only really good part of season 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Season 2 has dress Tieria so wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best part of 00 period is this gif.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Catching up on the Drake beef and "Metro Boomin" feels like an Innovator name.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The best part of 00 period is this gif.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chrome line posted:

Lockon 2 is the only really good part of season 2

Nah. The final episode is badass. Beyond that, though...

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Are we just going to ignore the whole Break Pillar Incident... the assault on Memento Mori...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the haro family drama

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

Nah. The final episode is badass. Beyond that, though...

The Lockon 2 stuff in the finale is great, the other stuff is fine but after the rest of the season I didn't care

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Memento Mori was great until they went "jk lol we had another one" and then Setsuna effortlessly destroyed it in a way that seemed custom-tailored to make the rest of the team look worthless.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Memento Mori was great until they went "jk lol we had another one" and then Setsuna effortlessly destroyed it in a way that seemed custom-tailored to make the rest of the team look worthless.

That was sick. Also he destroyed the second one much later

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I really don't think 00 S2 is nearly as bad as a lot of folks in this thread want to claim, its got a bit of "we did this already" when it comes to the plot points, but it has a number of cool sequences, Lockon 2 actually gets a legit character arc that is tied to his brother, and the while it gets wacky with the whole innovades bullshit at least that's something newish for Gundam even if a lot of what gets done is classic reuse of Gundam bits.

Its entertaining Gundam stuff on the whole, i really don't get why people act like its just barely above Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That was sick. Also he destroyed the second one much later

It is literally two episodes later.