Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Might be one of the random drop quests? Killing regular mobs in the area will eventually drop something you take to a town NPC.

Eventually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I think I’m gonna lose my mind here. I’m 74/75 for fractured peaks map completion and I’ve looked at this map 100 times and I can’t find the last bit I’m missing.

Is there a hidden spot or something?

Some areas are just very tiny. I was missing this spot for a while, it looks revealed if you reveal the area north of it so it's easy to miss.

You can try going to https://mapgenie.io/diablo-4/maps/sanctuary and hide everything except Area to see if there is a small spot you missed

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

MarcusSA posted:

I think I’m gonna lose my mind here. I’m 74/75 for fractured peaks map completion and I’ve looked at this map 100 times and I can’t find the last bit I’m missing.

Is there a hidden spot or something?

Have you been to the Hermit's Abode south/west of Margrave?

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
oh hey does anyone remember the cow level? was there even anything about it in season 3?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Uber Lilith down, season 100% complete. gently caress yes!

Bring on the non-season of loots!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

Have you been to the Hermit's Abode south/west of Margrave?

Holy poo poo this was it! Thank you!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i saw someone post https://diablo4.dad

which led new to find out they put in a quest where you can unlock the D2 monarch as transmog skin for the shield. it's a sppech only quest in zarbinzet post-campaign, so it's easy. it's just that you'd have to use a shield. but still, cool

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I haven't been paying attention to what Loot Reborn is gonna do and just wanna know this: Will I basically be able to melt everything whenever I want because the meta is going to be finding BiS rolls on rares which I then apply the aspects to, which are just the max roll I've melted?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Rares are useless now - you'll be junking everything bar legendaries, as they have one extra affix roll out of the box, and you can temper 2 more on there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shouldn't it kind of be the opposite, that rares give you a wider stat spread but more opportunities to improve them?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's a bit unintuitive for me, given that one of the things that i thought was cool about the DIV loot model at launch was that rares were actually useful for something now - but the reality of that turned out to be inventory hell, so I'll take the improved codex mechanics and auto-salvaging rares after the first 20 mins after entering a new WT over the current format, every time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

exquisite tea posted:

Shouldn't it kind of be the opposite, that rares give you a wider stat spread but more opportunities to improve them?

They said in the stream that they're working on something to make rare and magic items not completely useless but for this season at least the idea is that you will only pick up rares when:

- you're desperately short of veiled crystals
- you're just starting out in a world tier and something drops that's a massive upgrade even with only 2 affixes

so the intent is that you spend most of the time ignoring rares altogether.

They said that when they do implement something to make those items useful again that it cannot undo the design goal of making this a coarse loot filter. They don't want us to go back to comparing bags full of rares to the items we have equipped, which they referred to as "sifting through sand"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Question is then why loving have rares. Let us combine them into legendary

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't want to pick them up.

It would be cool to have an option to make them drop as materials, like what happens now when an item from a lower world tier drops.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
As I understand it the general drop rate for loot is going to be a lot lower across the board - so you're likely still going to have to pick everything up until you're at a point where you no longer need veiled crystals for anything, but you will be auto-salvaging between runs and only stopping to check legendaries, ALA D3.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

One of the post-PTR changes is that they made legendaries salvage into lots of veiled crystals and reduced veiled crystal costs for crafting. The stated design intent is that you only pick up rares when you're desperate for crafting mats and they don't expect you to be in that situation often or for long.

Item rarity and greater affix icons are supposed to act as a coarse loot filter, which is why greater affix items display the icon in their label as well as in your inventory

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is auto loot coming?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Upsidads posted:

Is auto loot coming?

Doubtful. They're very resistant to even filtering what loot is displayed when it drops, so I don't expect them to allow you to automatically filter what gets picked up, and I don't think people would be impressed with the game automatically filling their inventory with crap.

There's a couple of options to consider that D3 implemented; I suspect we'll get cosmetic pets at some point and D3 has a QoL upgrade system that eventually has your pet automatically salvaging non-legendary loot. D3 also had an item that would make a treasure goblin follow you around picking up low rarity loot and after it picked up enough it would drop a legendary

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Upsidads posted:

Question is then why loving have rares. Let us combine them into legendary

If a whole class/tier of items are useless immediately from the get go then something is still wrong with your itemization design.

Hopefully they figure out a way to make them useful by the time the expac rolls around

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

exquisite tea posted:

they copied their notes from D3 not D2, sorry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They weren’t useless. Getting rid of the terrible aspect system (where you found good rares and imprinted them with leg affixes) made them useless for now. Now only legs have three base affixes so you will always want those

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Give me ultimates that use bad items as ammo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to be able to upgrade items more and get more upgrading power with what I got equipped and the materials I have collected.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good news. This next patch will be upgrade city

It actually is a good system they have going in. I think people will like it and it’s a good base to finally move the game forward

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

Good news. This next patch will be upgrade city

It actually is a good system they have going in. I think people will like it and it’s a good base to finally move the game forward

Nice! I feel like what would be a better system is find the items with the affixes you want, or spend a lot of resources to put on the affixes you want, and then work towards building up your mats to make that gear more powerful, as opposed to continually looking for that next drop that is going to be an upgrade with exactly what you already have and cant replace.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

New system is what you are describing as good (more or less ) especially in the endgame

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

New system is what you are describing as good especially in the endgame

Oooh I understand now! Okay that is great, i'm really excited. Season 4 cant come soon enough.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Before end game you find legendaries with at least two good rolls (out of three) . You can enchant one of the three affixes. Then then you temper it twice (add two more affixes from a library[that you populate with recipes that drop]) . Tempering is not 100% determinative and could brick your item. Then you add the legendary affix you want. You have to find the best rolls for legendary affixes, but once you find them once you have them forever. There are no more drop only leg affixes. No saving them as an item in your stash or whatever.
At endgame you can master craft which is improving one of the affixes to high levels. This is not determinative but also can’t brick your item .

Items can also randomly drop with one affix being 150% better then the best roll

I think the Og blacksmithing upgrading is in the game still too idk

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One YouTube I watched who played the ptr said the crafting is now so flexible in terms of stats you can add that the paragon board strategies have opened way up because there aren’t really mandatory paragon stuff you need (exploit)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah it feels like there's going to be a lot more flexibility in everything.

Feels like. We'll see how it all shakes out, but I'm excited to try some wacky stuff in skills, glyphs, and nodes.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I never did get around to placing top 100 in a party leaderboard (although I did hit 150 in the cross-play party of 2 board).

Looking at this week’s boards, it looks like the cross-play boards still require actually decent scores to break into top 100, but PlayStation with cross-play disabled is a very different situation. Basically just show up with a party of 3 or 4 and cross-play disabled, and you’re almost guaranteed to hit top 10.

Are there any PlayStation goons who would be interested in doing that tonight (at or after 10 Eastern? If so, feel free to send me a friend/party invite: Ersatz#1915 (also Ersatz-Patrician on PSN).

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i'll say that the party of 3 ladder top 100 is right now sitting at less than my solo run score, so if you and one other person are interested, we could probably crush that

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

harrygomm posted:

i'll say that the party of 3 ladder top 100 is right now sitting at less than my solo run score, so if you and one other person are interested, we could probably crush that
Sounds good. Anyone else interested?

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 5, 2024

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I hope there's still some challenge, the game is already easy and they're buffing everyone to the moon for S4. Not much point in caring about gear if everything's a doddle etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Blizzard probably balancing things around the leveling being easier and faster, but the end game bosses being the real challenge?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

chird posted:

I hope there's still some challenge, the game is already easy and they're buffing everyone to the moon for S4. Not much point in caring about gear if everything's a doddle etc.
There are new lv200 uber bosses eg Uber Grigoire that are really hard to deal with. There is also The Pit which I think they boosted so high pit levels get really hard. There is also a nasty surprise in the Helltides.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
gonna need a Posting Test Realm to dial in the S4 thread title

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This thread is the posting test realm

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

euphronius posted:

One YouTube I watched who played the ptr said the crafting is now so flexible in terms of stats you can add that the paragon board strategies have opened way up because there aren’t really mandatory paragon stuff you need (exploit)

Paying2Lurk posted:

Yeah it feels like there's going to be a lot more flexibility in everything.

Feels like. We'll see how it all shakes out, but I'm excited to try some wacky stuff in skills, glyphs, and nodes.

This will be awesome if it truly shakes out that way.

I played a lot more D3 than D2 (at least over the last decade and a half) and while the QoL is great where the game ended up, between the set bonus mechanics and the nature of the balancing passes season to season, build diversity was basically non-existent. No, you didn't have to copy the current season's S-tier set build to do well and have a good time - but your alternative was basically a similar formula based around an alternative set, or a specific set of legendaries needed for an LoD build to work. While there were variants tuned around different play styles and content, they were still basically working with the same set of core interactions between a set or LoD bonus or the same 4-5 legendary powers + skills, and I found there wasn't a whole lot of room to customise even compared to the current state of D4. Also there were several entire classes that were outright uncompetitive for the most part (Crusader, Witch Doctor)

If they can widen that out significantly further and give people more scope to roll their own weird and wonderful builds while still being able to engage with endgame progression content I'll be stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

chird posted:

Everything that's in the game right now will be easier. The new level 200 bosses are harder than their normal equivalents both in gear check and execution. The Pit level ~100+ will be harder than any NMDs we have now.