Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean that was kinda funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was mildly amused, yeah.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

https://twitter.com/RichardERoeper/status/1786382262298165551

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Late in the game, we get an extended “action” sequence that is designed to satirize the Jan. 6 insurrection, and it’s so bad and poorly shot it’s as if everyone involved in the movie has just given up."

Jesus Christ :crossarms:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The punch line to the January 6th plot is a congressional hearing where the Tony the Tiger mascot defends making GBS threads on the floor saying he has a "Kel-log" to show everyone.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

The punch line to the January 6th plot is a congressional hearing where the Tony the Tiger mascot defends making GBS threads on the floor saying he has a "Kel-log" to show everyone.

lmao

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Escobarbarian posted:

Like I watch Loot and I find it generally enjoyable but jfc there are several really good people writing for and starring in it and all they ever do is vaguely gesture towards wealth being bad and that you should do good things with it before adding in a whole ton of “lol look what rich person can do!!!!!” jokes or just generic wacky nonsense

I don't think Loot is trying to have an important message. I think it's basically "Maya Rudolph p much has unlimited money, let's goof around and see what she can get up to."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hacks is back, without those glamour stopping punchlines!

Edit: Ava does have a OK punchline, but it’s the only good joke in the first 18 minutes of the episode. If it stays this bad I’m not gonna watch it, which sucks because I loved last season.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 4, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I watched the first episode of Shardlake on Disney+*, and it's pretty great so far. A nameoftherosian monastery murder mystery with Sean Bean as Thomas Cromwell and Arthur Hughes as the crippled detective Shardlake who can make amazing deductions from a single glance at a murder victim. Surprised to see no discussion of it anywhere. I especially like how the true purpose of the murder investigation is to find dirt on the monastery to shut them down so Sean Bean can take their stuff. If the murderer isn't one of the monks, they must be proven to be papists or sodomites or whatever. Anything will do.

I think I'll check out the novels. I had never heard of this series before.

* I guess it's on Hulu in the US?

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 4, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I had not heard of that show before, but based on your ad blurb, I will check it out :hmmyes: It released on the 1st?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So Baby Reindeer was pretty soul destroying, in the last episode when the father quietly says "I grew up on in the catholic church...." it felt like an emotional nuclear bomb went of.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just finished season 3 of Ghosts. I continue to be surprised CBS managed to take the original and not turn it in to something horrifically awful.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Conan must go is a great great comedy show. I think you want to watch them in segments, but 15 minutes at a time it’s great.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was surprised at the relatively low rating for Shardlake on IMDB, and then I looked at the reviews and all the complaints were about non-white people being on the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

I was surprised at the relatively low rating for Shardlake on IMDB, and then I looked at the reviews and all the complaints were about non-white people being on the show.

It's the same poo poo with A Gentleman In Moscow -- a criticism which rankles more in that case because they're all speaking with British accents, speaking english but reading and writing in Cyrillic alphabet. It's obviously not set in the real world.

No one's complaining that these characters are clearly going to the gym, or that they have great posture, movie star diction falling out of mouths fronted by movie star teeth, great hair and modern skin care routines.

People are just laundering their racism through selective claims of historical accuracy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just reupped my Primr for a month so catching up.on shows I missed. Mr and Mrs Smith is excellent. A fantastic followup to Atlanta.

Makes me wanna travel.

I've got a few episodes left but it's interesting tk think what will happen to these characters the shoe somehow made us care about (there have been so many stellar episodes but I think the Ron Pearlman ep might be my fav) after we so them participate in a mass casualty bombing lol in the first ep

Like do these characters deserve to be happy? Maybe, in this world.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Noticed that Dopesick's on the iPlayer so thought I'd finally get around to checking it out. Only 40m in and I'm already loving livid, good job show.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The Sympathizer is good. I like the sardonic tone. thats a good way to adapt a novel

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
This is the first time i've seen anyone mention it besides me.

RDJ is having a ball with it. It's a really good show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mistermojo posted:

The Sympathizer is good. I like the sardonic tone. thats a good way to adapt a novel

And also he fucks a squid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jon Watts recently talked about his Star Wars series, Skeleton Crew, and how he used a mix of new tech (the Volume and performance capture) and old tech (Phil Tippett stop motion and matte paintings from a retired ILM artist.) So this could be either really neat or a huge tonal mess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

sounds dope, consistent tones are for cowards

e: the Volume being involved at all doesn't exactly breed confidence though

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I have no interest in the movie, but that is an amazing review. Would recommend reading.

Arist posted:

sounds dope, consistent tones are for cowards

e: the Volume being involved at all doesn't exactly breed confidence though

The Volume can be used well, like it was in early Mandalorian. It's a tool at a film maker's disposal. It's only a problem when it's over relied on, like in Obi-Wan Kenobi (that first Vader fight in the quarry or whatever was garbage, and should have been scrapped completely).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 6, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Skeleton Crew also has some actual talented directors attached (David Lowery, Lee Isaac Chung, Jake Schreier, and Daniels Kwan and Scheinert) which gives me a small glimmer of hope that the show might at least look good. We'll see if Acolyte can fulfill my hopes for it or reinforce my evaporating excitement for recent Star Wars TV.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Even if everything else is trash there's still Andor s2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

The Volume can be used well, like it was in early Mandalorian. It's a tool at a film maker's disposal. It's only a problem when it's over relied on, like in Obi-Wan Kenobi (that first Vader fight in the quarry or whatever was garbage, and should have been scrapped completely).

I think that was in an actual quarry.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Even if everything else is trash there's still Andor s2.

I am so worried about it. I really liked Mando s1 but did NOT like s2 and I'm worried about them Disneyfying Andor S2 and making it more family friendly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think that was in an actual quarry.

I thought it wasn't, and that's why he kept running slightly to the side, because that was the limit of the Volume.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

I thought it wasn't, and that's why he kept running slightly to the side, because that was the limit of the Volume.

Perhaps, it's been a long time and I wouldn't trust my eyes to know. I do remember that a lot of the problems with that scene weren't to do with the tech specifically; the editing was atrocious, genuinely some of the most insane poo poo I've ever seen. Characters running in and out of shots in ways that are incredibly confusing, making it look like Vader was doing a Scooby Doo thing. I think I posted a gif of it itt, but I can't be bothered findiing it.

Absolutely wild thing to use Volume on though, if that's the case. I get using it on the sub base, but a couple of hills in the desert? Bonkers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think people unfairly blame the volume for the shows just being kinda bad in general. It's a tool that can be used well and not so well. Reportedly The Acolyte isn't using it at all and what they've shown looks like rear end, visually. Obi-Wan using more physical sets would not have made that show any good.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 6, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Medullah posted:

I am so worried about it. I really liked Mando s1 but did NOT like s2 and I'm worried about them Disneyfying Andor S2 and making it more family friendly.

Andor S2 is the one Star Wars show I am unabashedly looking forward to, but by the same token if it does turn out to have a bunch of studio BS interference in it, then that will totally kill any hope I have for any good Star Wars again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

thrawn527 posted:

They probably used both.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Andor S2 at least has the benefit of being the last season, so it might not see much interference.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm quietly hopeful for The Acolyte, because Leslye Headland rules.

Quiet, quiet, quiet hope.

TuxedoOrca posted:

Andor S2 at least has the benefit of being the last season, so it might not see much interference.

I think this is wishful thinking. It's their highest profile show, that's all that matters.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Andor was made under Disney, is there any reason to think that they should have a desire to mess with it suddenly?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's fun to be reflexively cynical on the internet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oasx posted:

Andor was made under Disney, is there any reason to think that they should have a desire to mess with it suddenly?
I mean yeah probably whatever impulse made them want to insert all the dumb poo poo in the Mandalorian after the first season?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I remember reading from some filmmaker I respect but can't remember the name of said the key to making a good film was being in the shadow of a much more expensive movie so all the exec attn is on the latter. I think it's natural to be a little pessimistic about Andor S2 considering how much more attn its getting now, the success rate of every other recent Staw Wars property, and how inexplicably good it was when it came out.

I guess we'll see.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I remember reading from some filmmaker I respect but can't remember the name of said the key to making a good film was being in the shadow of a much more expensive movie so all the exec attn is on the latter. I think it's natural to be a little pessimistic about Andor S2 considering how much more attn its getting now, the success rate of every other recent Staw Wars property, and how inexplicably good it was when it came out.

I guess we'll see.

Yeah, it's the combo of it being inexplicably good while Disney, who's famous for C Suite interference, largely only producing terrible shows.

tbh I don't even like Andor that much, but it's far far better than its ilk

(There's a similar story behind Agents Of SHIELD, which came out in some recent behind the scenes book. No-one wanted to touch it because of the Whedon connection, which meant they had a surprising amount of freedom to do what they wanted and ended up producing some pretty decent network action.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

I guess we'll see.

From the MCU TV thread where we were talking about how X-Men '97 has been so good, poster Aertuun mentioned this exact thing.

Aertuun posted:

There was a very interesting part of the Galaxy Quest documentary where they mentioned that the recipe for success for any film project was doing it in the shadow of another film production (from the same studio) with a far higher budget.

So the studio suits are distracted and not paying attention to all the good work going on.

In this case, the studio's first act when they started paying attention was to fire the show lead. Hopefully season 2 is far enough along to survive their influence. By season 3 the leaches will have descended.