Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Am I misremembering because all I recall is him getting a HUGE multilayered health bar and then you punch him once and he's down.

Yes, IIRC it also has a thing where after all the elaborate tricks the final battle with him is in a convenience store.

Jedi Survivor sometimes feels like it is an Ubisoft game where they just keep throwing things at you. There's gardening and finding fish and collecting enemy data which you then use in a auto battler, an absurd amount of collectibles for Cal (lightsaber parts, materials the lightsaber parts could be made of, hair, facial hair, shirts, jackets, pants and then also parts for BD-1 and colors) and also a list of bounty hunters to find and kill. Also in addition to the collectibles there are multiple collectibles that you then turn in at shops to buy cosmetic items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

Idk man. My experience with him is making me run annoying obstacle courses, rescue a bunch of people in an area with a terrible camera and a timer, and swinging to the statue of Liberty on platforms that are just far and high enough that you can miss them if you time it wrong and have to do the whole drat thing again.

Wait till he robs a convenience store.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, IIRC it also has a thing where after all the elaborate tricks the final battle with him is in a convenience store.

Jedi Survivor sometimes feels like it is an Ubisoft game where they just keep throwing things at you. There's gardening and finding fish and collecting enemy data which you then use in a auto battler, an absurd amount of collectibles for Cal (lightsaber parts, materials the lightsaber parts could be made of, hair, facial hair, shirts, jackets, pants and then also parts for BD-1 and colors) and also a list of bounty hunters to find and kill. Also in addition to the collectibles there are multiple collectibles that you then turn in at shops to buy cosmetic items.

This is why I stopped playing God of War Ragnarok. It just gives you so much poorly placed poo poo you don't want that you have to go in the inventory to equip, constantly breaking up the pace. Then, MORE new stuff is dropped on your head before you can really use or get a feel for what you just got.

Ragnarok is a Terribly paced game, one of the worst directed I've played. I heard that after 20+ hours of linearity it does let you stop following an NPC who's talking and free roam but I didn't get that far. It feels like you're David Copperfield trying to escape chains finding any freedom in that awful thing.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:06 on May 5, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Any game where you can find a mullet in a treasure chest cant be all that bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ragnarok is the culmination of Sony’s “frictionless” game design and feels like very gentle torture as a result

every aspect of it is tailored to keep the player from thinking about anything. vampire survivors asks for more brain activity

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Any game where you can find a mullet in a treasure chest cant be all that bad.

In spite of what I just posted, I totally agree with this. But there is a delicate balance of mullet to gameplay you know?

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The left stick aiming for your harpoon is extremely sensitive in the ps5 version of Dave the Diver.

It's either all the way up at the top of the crescent or all the way down. I wish it had some sort of lock for single targets or something.

Other than that I absolutely love it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

everything in elden ring should have 2/3 as much health and drop 175% as much grace, it’s really absurd. i’m running around raya lucaria and poo poo drops less than 100 grace when I need like 20k to level up. in the meantime I’m a similar level in bloodborne with way less time dumped into my current character, enemies take way less effort to kill, and drop like 500-1000 blood echoes when I need like 38k to level up

elden ring just feels so goddamned stingy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Near the end of Final Fantasy: Stranger of Paradise, the protagonist punches an innocent woman out for arguing with him. This is not treated as an especially dark act, and doesn't get any negative reactions whatsoever beyond brief surprise by those nearby; in fact, it's forgotten about pretty close to immediately as they have to wrap up a story that depicts him as a good and pure-hearted man, and introduce his previous, never-before-hinted-at relationship with that same woman he knocked out.

That... was not a line I expected the game to cross with a character they otherwise want me to like. In fact, I only during that scene even learned that was a line that someone might cross at all in a story not about an abject monster, because why the gently caress would you write that?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:06 on May 5, 2024

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Spend all day punching chaos and that can stress someone out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

Near the end of Final Fantasy: Stranger of Paradise, the protagonist punches an innocent woman out for arguing with him. This is not treated as an especially dark act, and doesn't get any negative reactions whatsoever beyond brief surprise by those nearby; in fact, it's forgotten about pretty close to immediately as they have to wrap up a story that depicts him as a good and pure-hearted man, and introduce his previous, never-before-hinted-at relationship with that same woman he knocked out.

It turns out I HAVEN'T had enough of your disingenuous assertions.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oxxidation posted:

ragnarok is the culmination of Sony’s “frictionless” game design and feels like very gentle torture as a result

every aspect of it is tailored to keep the player from thinking about anything. vampire survivors asks for more brain activity

I believe good games distinguish between Friction and Frustration. Friction is when there's a boss you haven't beaten, a puzzle you haven't solved, an obstacle course you haven't traversed. Frustration is dead time.
  • Having to backtrack the entire length of the game world because there's no fast-travel, hubs, or clever shortcuts. (The first Metroid Prime)
  • Needing to manually browse a stuffed inventory using more button presses than necessary. (Borderlands, Xenoblade 2)
  • Being forced to wait for some event in an offline single-player game. (MGSV, that recent Suikoden successor)
  • Not having proper shortcuts for key actions. (Water Temple in original Ocarina of Time)
It's telling that good remakes like Resident Evil 2 then have to compensate for all the conveniences by dialing up the danger: common zombies are suprisingly durable, the tyrant is unstoppable, and ammo is harder to come by.

I'd hate for Sony to try their hand at something like the Talos Principle. You'd have a sidekick on hand who blurts out all the puzzle solutions.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 19:11 on May 5, 2024

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Above all else I really wish games would stop assuming I'm stupid as hell with regards to puzzles. I feel like video game puzzles are nowhere near as challenging as they used to be and they still have some sidekick yapping your ear off solving the puzzle for you.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rockman Reserve posted:

everything in elden ring should have 2/3 as much health and drop 175% as much grace, it’s really absurd. i’m running around raya lucaria and poo poo drops less than 100 grace when I need like 20k to level up. in the meantime I’m a similar level in bloodborne with way less time dumped into my current character, enemies take way less effort to kill, and drop like 500-1000 blood echoes when I need like 38k to level up

elden ring just feels so goddamned stingy

It's not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bossy lady posted:

Above all else I really wish games would stop assuming I'm stupid as hell with regards to puzzles. I feel like video game puzzles are nowhere near as challenging as they used to be and they still have some sidekick yapping your ear off solving the puzzle for you.

Sorry, I'm their target market and I'm getting dumber with age

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm not going to defend those bird-call puzzles in The Witness, though. Only someone who got laughed at by Soulja Boy could conceive of something so awful.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:59 on May 6, 2024

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One thing the new Jedi game does is allow you to ask for a hint when you want one. If you don’t choose it, the game doesn’t help you

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
More like oldhintless

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i mean i literally provided math lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Rockman Reserve posted:

i mean i literally provided math lol

Go do caves and field bosses and pop all those rune pickups

Raya Lucaria is the early in the game you're not gonna get poo poo farming dudes there

Go kill the mom dragon, or take the teleporter to dragonbarrow and beat up the lil dudes in front of the doghouse

Go fight one of the several available bosses if you want runes

Also Bloodborne is like 1/30th the length of ER no poo poo the enemy echo drops scale higher

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

One thing the new Jedi game does is allow you to ask for a hint when you want one. If you don’t choose it, the game doesn’t help you

Yeah, that was how the previous game worked too. If you're just loving around in a puzzle room long enough a pop up will appear and ask if you want a hint but you can just dismiss it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Elden Ring carries on the proud Dark Souls tradition of bonking you hard if you go somewhere too early (DS1 catacombs, Caelid in ER), but I definitely felt that if I explored as I went I became overleveled. Which I still did, because big numbers are fun and that world is very fun to explore!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Literally never gonna forgive that fucker pouches for sending me there.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cleretic posted:

That... was not a line I expected the game to cross with a character they otherwise want me to like. In fact, I only during that scene even learned that was a line that someone might cross at all in a story not about an abject monster, because why the gently caress would you write that?

It's been a year or two, but I gotta say I don't remember the hero in Stranger of Paradise being "a good and pure-hearted man..."

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I think Jack punches everyone who disagrees with him. Especially if you are playing as monk.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Necrothatcher posted:

It's been a year or two, but I gotta say I don't remember the hero in Stranger of Paradise being "a good and pure-hearted man..."

I'm not familiar with the game in question but are you saying Cleretic is incapable of understanding subtext? Perish the thought

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Necrothatcher posted:

Jack is a pretty good dude, he just wants to find Chaos and also knocks Princess Sarah out so he can get her to safety when she's too busy arguing with him, it's only a "hell yeah domestic abuse!" angle if you are a complete idiot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jack starts out as the guy who always skips cut scenes, but deeply cares about the lore in the second half of the game.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Jack starts out as the guy who always skips cut scenes, but deeply cares about the lore in the second half of the game.

and he hates that he does but its so important to him now

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tall Tale Teller posted:

The left stick aiming for your harpoon is extremely sensitive in the ps5 version of Dave the Diver.

It's either all the way up at the top of the crescent or all the way down. I wish it had some sort of lock for single targets or something.

Other than that I absolutely love it.

That hasn’t been my experience at all. Busted controller?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

This is more of a thing dragging a console down. I can't play the 3DS for more than 20-30 minutes before I start getting pain in my hands. I have average sized hands for an adult man and I have to curl my thumbs up pretty bad to play it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grittyreboot posted:

This is more of a thing dragging a console down. I can't play the 3DS for more than 20-30 minutes before I start getting pain in my hands. I have average sized hands for an adult man and I have to curl my thumbs up pretty bad to play it.

Yeah, I got that thing out last time I had a power outage, and even the XL feels kinda tiny. I can't imagine how I used the original DS/3DS for so long back in the day.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022

grittyreboot posted:

I stopped having cramps in my right hand specifically after I stopped playing 3DS games

My left hand was apparently strong enough to handle it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sorry, I'm their target market and I'm getting dumber with age

:same: i was a dumbass that needed noclip playing quake 2 as a kid and it's only gotten worse with age

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The platforming in Stellar Blade is truly awful. However you imagine wallrunning should work mechanically in a video game in your mind, Stellar Blade fights against that instinct to make something that is at once inaccurate and unintuitive. Thankfully you don't have to do it too much, but it's hella bad every time it pops up.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Helldivers 2

It's a lot of fun to play, especially with friends, but I'm still a low level so I don't have any of the fun call-ins. People join my game and are calling down massive artillery barrages or mortars or orbital lasers and I'm sitting here with a couple of guns and a tiny orbital strike. Yes, I know where you unlock more, but those are both level and money gated.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

JackSplater posted:

Helldivers 2

It's a lot of fun to play, especially with friends, but I'm still a low level so I don't have any of the fun call-ins. People join my game and are calling down massive artillery barrages or mortars or orbital lasers and I'm sitting here with a couple of guns and a tiny orbital strike. Yes, I know where you unlock more, but those are both level and money gated.

My favorite will always be the basic rear end precision strike you get at the start of the game, honestly. A lot of the stronger ones either have really long cooldowns or limited uses, but ol' faithful's always there to blow a bug up, or a building up, or your team mates up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JackSplater posted:

Helldivers 2

Name's LobokVonZuben if you're on PSN. If we team-up I can bring stuff in my loadout for you to use or try. You want a mech?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I couldn't really get into Helldivers 2 for similar reasons. Please devs put more xp catch up systems in your game. When I started my friend group was a higher level even though we installed only like 20 mins apart. But we leveled up at the same rate so I never caught up.

They just always had better more effective strategems and perks. It was a pretty depressing MP experience, they got hundreds of kills on missions and I got like a dozen. We went back to Deep Rock

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:17 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
For what it's worth, levels past 20 reward Literally Nothing beyond different badges by your name and every so often a new title you can equip. At 20 you unlock every upgrade and requisition for purchase, and that's including ones that have come out after the game started like the exosuit. IMO the far more onerous grind is medals to get poo poo, but even that starts to pile up as you do personal orders, we get campaigns under our belt, and you just finish operations on higher difficulties. Catching up sucks, but it's all things considered a relatively quick suck and not an endless grind for most things.