Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It does, but for some insane reason the claiming and chunkloading feature is disabled by default. You have to go into the config to enable it. Also, the config is in the base instance directory, not in "config".

The quest book says to cheat in some admin anchors for single player. Is that better or worse than using ftbutil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It does, but for some insane reason the claiming and chunkloading feature is disabled by default. You have to go into the config to enable it. Also, the config is in the base instance directory, not in "config".

It wouldn't be gregtech if there wasn't some pointless design decisions. :haw:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

VegasGoat posted:

The quest book says to cheat in some admin anchors for single player. Is that better or worse than using ftbutil?

It's less convenient than serverutils (the fork of ftbutils that's in 2.6.0.) It loads a 3x3 chunk area around the chunk it's placed in, unless you use an anchor sentinel to shape it into a line up to 9 chunks long. Serverutils can be done from journeymap.

That being said, I still use admin anchors for miners. That way, there's a physical object doing the loading, so it's way easier to remember to remove it. If I used SU/FTBU for miners I'd have lost loaded chunks basically everywhere.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god 15 mins of mining in a copper vein lets me walk away with like 4 stacks of copper and 2 stacks of iron, what a game changer the hammer is

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

queeb posted:

god 15 mins of mining in a copper vein lets me walk away with like 4 stacks of copper and 2 stacks of iron, what a game changer the hammer is

Massive QoL upgrade

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

now i need to really get some storage figured out, i do like the quad storage drawers, might make a wall of those

edit: ok new storage, gonna slot in barrels where necessary but I figure all these upgraded to diamon chests eventually will carry me far, I'll upgrade them as I go. gonna label them with signs and go from there

going to put some forestry workbenches in the middle, move my smelting to the right, pretty up the floor once i have better floor blocks to use

edit: realized im way overbuilding too really, condensed things much closer to my main are for now, have these all set up, next goal is the multiblock macerator

queeb fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 3, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is coal in the macerator only useful for 4xing the yield? as in like, i cant turn it into coke at all, so i should only be macerating to use as fuel and keeping a few stacks to dump into the coke ovens for coal coke

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

is coal in the macerator only useful for 4xing the yield? as in like, i cant turn it into coke at all, so i should only be macerating to use as fuel and keeping a few stacks to dump into the coke ovens for coal coke

Correct, until you unlock the sifter in LV, the best way to get actual coal is to forge hammer the coal ore. I would just do this with all your coal and use creosote buckets for vanilla furnace fuel. Each one smelts 32 items.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Correct, until you unlock the sifter in LV, the best way to get actual coal is to forge hammer the coal ore. I would just do this with all your coal and use creosote buckets for vanilla furnace fuel. Each one smelts 32 items.

wtf, right after i smelted like 8 stacks!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You'll eventually be swimming in so much coal you won't know what to do with it, so don't worry too much about inefficient use. But also, even once you do have the sifter you'll learn that it's operation is very time and therefore power intensive. Its best use early is for sifting wet gem dusts and hoping for flawless and perfect gems.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

queeb posted:

wtf, right after i smelted like 8 stacks!

Common early trap but if you've got it past the point where it can be made into coke, if nothing else you can process that down to coal dust and use it for hand crafting circuit components. Or save it for later electrolysis into carbon dust.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

FPzero posted:

You'll eventually be swimming in so much coal you won't know what to do with it, so don't worry too much about inefficient use. But also, even once you do have the sifter you'll learn that it's operation is very time and therefore power intensive. Its best use early is for sifting wet gem dusts and hoping for flawless and perfect gems.

Never heard purified ores referred to as "wet gem dusts" but given this it to a new player I felt like it should be clarified. Sifting machine mostly only accepts purified ores, which are acquired by washing crushed ore. Later when you have an HV tier macerator there are multiple paths for processing with different byproducts.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how is this legal

thing absolutely BLENDS ore, holy crap, i can just double everything now so fast

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

queeb posted:

how is this legal

thing absolutely BLENDS ore, holy crap, i can just double everything now so fast

It's easily the best early game investment and a few will be useful for most of the run.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Never heard purified ores referred to as "wet gem dusts" but given this it to a new player I felt like it should be clarified. Sifting machine mostly only accepts purified ores, which are acquired by washing crushed ore. Later when you have an HV tier macerator there are multiple paths for processing with different byproducts.

Thank you I just completely forgot what they were called and was at work :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

big sack of wet gems

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man there is so much to do in this its crazy, every time i sit down to do something theres 20 other things that pop up that i could do. i need more BBFs, more coke ovens, need to do the piston boots but i need the nether for sulphur, i wanna do some of the high pressure steam crafters, but i need wrought iron which is a process i need to get set up better, on and on hahah

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

man there is so much to do in this its crazy, every time i sit down to do something theres 20 other things that pop up that i could do. i need more BBFs, more coke ovens, need to do the piston boots but i need the nether for sulphur, i wanna do some of the high pressure steam crafters, but i need wrought iron which is a process i need to get set up better, on and on hahah

yeah, for all its faults, GTNH has tons of stuff to do for a very, very long time until it does the progression pack thing and starts piling things behind walls of horizontal production scaling (around UEV)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

yeah, for all its faults, GTNH has tons of stuff to do for a very, very long time until it does the progression pack thing and starts piling things behind walls of horizontal production scaling (around UEV)

honestly as soon as I got this steam grinder running it kicked my addiction up 10x. huge production gains like that are like crack lol. sitting on like 30 stacks of iron now just from the random copper veins ive been mining

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

queeb posted:

honestly as soon as I got this steam grinder running it kicked my addiction up 10x. huge production gains like that are like crack lol. sitting on like 30 stacks of iron now just from the random copper veins ive been mining

Steam grinder STAYS good until stupidly later in the pack because there are plenty of ores where you 100% don't care about the byproducts at a given maceration step. It's still twice as fast as an HV macerator because it runs 8x parallel. Steam oven is also good but costs so very much steel for the BBF era (you have to craft it twice because it needs 8 steam oven blocks!). It's also not as much of an issue because smelting is so cheap to run in parallel with a wall of furnaces burning creosote buckets.

Like for reference I'm still using the steam grinder in EV-tier.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just need a way to automate the output, i can input via a chest and hopper but output i think i need a conveyor module or something?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

queeb posted:

i just need a way to automate the output, i can input via a chest and hopper but output i think i need a conveyor module or something?

You can hopper out of it. I raised mine off the ground for that reason. For certain operations a hopper is way too slow (like redstone makes 80 crushed ore per operation). An LV conveyor module is also pretty slow, though, so a hopper will be fine for most processes. Obviously the bus has to be on the bottom layer for a hopper to work so it looks like you'll need to reposition it anyway.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You can hopper out of it. I raised mine off the ground for that reason. For certain operations a hopper is way too slow (like redstone makes 80 crushed ore per operation). An LV conveyor module is also pretty slow, though, so a hopper will be fine for most processes. Obviously the bus has to be on the bottom layer for a hopper to work so it looks like you'll need to reposition it anyway.

oh crap yeah i never thought of that. I'll just rearrange so the output bus is on the bottom, drop a hopper under and a chest dug into the ground for now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Meanwhile I'm having such a hard time returning to my world from last year. I stopped because I never really built any significant automation into my base despite being in HV, not even ore processing. The most I did was automated Fuel and moving hot ingots to the vacuum freezer. I want to pick up where I left off but now I'm facing a bigger wall in loss of momentum. Really makes me wish I was playing with someone else, where we could work on automation projects together. I'm gonna make at least one more attempt at switching out my cluster of HV machines for slightly more dedicated processing lines before giving up though. I'd really like to launch a rocket and get through HV.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So, question. What alternate dimension mods would people say are the best? A lot of them seem to have the problem that there's no reason to go there other than to see the stuff it has, or maybe one or two features you might want to use outside of it. Just little self-contained things with no bearing on anything else going on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really loved The Betweenlands but like a lot of cool mods it faded away and hasn't been updated for several major versions. Impeccable atmosphere and pretty cozy, plus lots of cool systems and new mechanics.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

FPzero posted:

Meanwhile I'm having such a hard time returning to my world from last year. I stopped because I never really built any significant automation into my base despite being in HV, not even ore processing. The most I did was automated Fuel and moving hot ingots to the vacuum freezer. I want to pick up where I left off but now I'm facing a bigger wall in loss of momentum. Really makes me wish I was playing with someone else, where we could work on automation projects together. I'm gonna make at least one more attempt at switching out my cluster of HV machines for slightly more dedicated processing lines before giving up though. I'd really like to launch a rocket and get through HV.

sounds like its time to start over

edit: just made the piston boots, mother of god, this plus glider is so good

queeb fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 5, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the nether is my bitch now with the glider and piston boots

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I don't think there was ever a new dimension mod I liked with the exception of mystcraft and that was only because you created your own.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Making an entirely new dimension requires a lot of work, especially when there are dozens of mods adding more terrain features and points of interest to the Overworld, Nether, and End. All the others seem empty as a result.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think they made more sense years ago, when the overworld was much more barren and modpacks were in their infancy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Somebody should make an anti-overworld mod that reuses the (modded) overworld generation, but does a post-processing pass that alters it somehow.

You could probably make a Darkworld by forcing the skylight on every column to zero after terrain generation but before point of interest generation, and then just disabling the day/night cycle in the dimension entirely.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

any downsides to storage drawers at th ebeginning? they let me clean up a ton of poo poo i had sitting around, a 4x drawer with the first upgrade is huge storage

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Use them, they're so helpful for the stacks upon stacks of dusts you'll get eventually. ingots too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

any downsides to storage drawers at th ebeginning? they let me clean up a ton of poo poo i had sitting around, a 4x drawer with the first upgrade is huge storage

They're the superior option over barrels (except you can lock barrels without an HV-era tool.) By the time you can make AE2 disks reliably, though, you should stop using them.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Well, gave up on FTB Skies: Expert, I think. Some thoughts:

Stuff I liked:
  • The general expert approach was pretty well done. They did a good job of gating recipes by specific ingredients/etc, and generally also giving you ways to do something more easily once you achieved a specific limit.
  • The inclusion of create but the focus on fuel production instead of normal windmills/etc was also nice; I still like Create quite a bit.
  • The general polish/etc was pretty nice too.

Stuff that I didn't like:
  • I hit a point to build a rocket, where I needed to build what I thought were decorative space plating, but was actual space plating blocks; once I realized I needed like 15 stacks of this stuff, I started looking into what else was required, which lead to:
  • The consistent lack of infinite energy sources and good item manipulation (pipes/etc) made it very difficult to actually do the automation stuff.
  • Create...is neat - great, even, but having to do complex stuff in it gets so loving fiddly with all the various rotation stuff and things.
  • The tipping point for me was when I realized I had to automate Botania mana production via automating cake production, which in turn would need a bunch of space and other stuff. I could do it, but it was all just such a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Going to see if I can drag up something else.

Oh, minor notes about modpack bullshit:

GDLauncher now includes Overwolf, but FTB now has a non-Overwolf launcher.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
For the problems Twilight Forest has, being incomplete, gating biomes behind boss fights, and being old enough to enter grade school are less annoying to me than requiring you wear specific armor, taking away basic exploration tools like food and torches, and completely refusing to integrate with vanilla resources. Basic design decisions in TF like worldgen points of interest always happening on a grid reduces the hopeless wandering for specific dungeons I'll find myself doing in some of these dimension mods.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Blind Duke posted:

requiring you wear specific armor, taking away basic exploration tools like food and torches, and completely refusing to integrate with vanilla resources

I didn't know that it did this at all, although I did guess that I probably wasn't supposed to be able to vein mine the walls in the minotaur's lair.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

I didn't know that it did this at all, although I did guess that I probably wasn't supposed to be able to vein mine the walls in the minotaur's lair.

No, other mods do that. Blue Skies tells you to go gently caress yourself, make new tools out of local resources, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Falcon2001 posted:

The tipping point for me was when I realized I had to automate Botania mana production via automating cake production, which in turn would need a bunch of space and other stuff. I could do it, but it was all just such a gigantic pain in the rear end.

It's too bad this is in a modpack that doesn't have Astral Sorcery, because that would make this significantly easier.