Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The Acolyte trailer also has that fan-film vibe that's easy to spot but hard to articulate.

Flashy fight choreography. A camera that feels unmotivated and floaty with slight push ins all over the place. Limited set sizes. Ponderous closeups. Insisting on a Cool New Twist on things you recognize and not trusting that the audience will notice if it isn't emphasized.

All exacerbated by the quick cut epic trailer style and generic music.

Compare to the Andor teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UX1Adanis

The one second shot at 0:48 was when I knew we were in good hands, just perfect.

e: and the multi-directional elevators at 1:01 really sealed the deal, virtuosic take on the Lucas obsession with abstract motion and momentum. Yes it's miserable gritty Star Spies but it's still also Star Wars.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Acolyte looks rough. Fan film is definitely the way to put it. Just small and cheap, like a modern version of a 90s fantasy show.

Also, disturbing lack of weird little guys in that trailer.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

There are no more new shows on the horizon currently after Skeleton Crew right? I know Andor and Ahsoka are getting another season eventually and I believe Mando is getting both the movie AND a Season 4 if I heard correctly

More broadly it seems like The Mouse is winding down the live action Marvel shows as well.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I saw the exclusive Acolyte scene at my TPM screening and if it helps I definitely thought "finally, a well-choreographed fight scene in a Star Wars show"

though thinking on it, the butcher shop fight in BOBF was also pretty sick imo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

(sidenote: for those of you following Sector Command, my SW strategy game, we're back up and running again over in the Game Room thread)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth Vader getting a chair to sit in instead of being allowed to loom ominously over the Inquisitors is a weird choice

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

1st AD posted:

I'm not even talking about set extensions or green screen or whatever. The cinematography and color treatment give the show the appearance of being as if I were watching a stage play that was being filmed with the most rudimentary of lighting. Compare this to scenes from Andor where, even when they are set extensions or even fully green screen, they look like they're all in a realistic world where cameras happen to be filming this scene.

Prolonged Panorama posted:

The Acolyte trailer also has that fan-film vibe that's easy to spot but hard to articulate.

I'm glad it wasn't just who got that vibe of something being off. Star Wars shots always feel so incredibly well thought out. There's a depth to them, things happening at multiple distances to give a sense of scale and that this is an ancient, slightly run down galaxy. The Acolyte footage felt small and closed in.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Madurai posted:

(sidenote: for those of you following Sector Command, my SW strategy game, we're back up and running again over in the Game Room thread)

More people should join this btw, it's really fun

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

MMAgCh posted:

Tales of the Empire

Nothing to say about the Morgan Elsbeth stuff, it's boring and so is she. The Barris stuff is more disappointing in that there's the heart of a really good idea in her final CW appearance, though in truth her disillusionment in that episode is far too brief to really be compelling beyond the basic idea of it. This was their chance to follow up on that... and they didn't really. There are some sops thrown to the idea that she still takes umbrage with the Jedi in the first two episodes, but by the end of that she is totally onboard with calling herself a Jedi, wistfully recalling the days when the Jedi would come and take small children from their families, etc.

It would have been far more interesting for Bariss to initially embrace the Empire, seeing them as the way to rid the galaxy of a class of soldiers who vindicated her ideas by trying to assassinate the chancellor and seize power in a coup. Naturally she'd eventually figure out the new boss is the same as the old boss, but the scene with the child would hit much more interestingly if she realized that the Empire was kidnapping Force-sensitive children just as the Jedi had done and that's what caused her to walk away.

Also, I love the Clone Wars art style and I hope something comes along to keep using it, but the Grand Inquisitor looks really bad somehow, I can't put my finger on it. Everything else is great, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tales of the Empire was fine, but nowhere near as good as Tales of the Jedi. Just kind of…there. Morgan’s story was boring, and Barris’s story was pretty good. But nothing game changing like TofJ.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The revelation of the Mountain Clan “Daysisters” was interesting, at least. The subtitles name them as witches, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thrawn527 posted:

Tales of the Empire was fine, but nowhere near as good as Tales of the Jedi. Just kind of…there. Morgan’s story was boring, and Barris’s story was pretty good. But nothing game changing like TofJ.

Yeah, it paled in comparison to episodes we got about Dooku's turn to the dark side.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cross-Section posted:

Why they made her fate so ambiguous (and why they made her look so old despite it only being 10-15 years later) is beyond me lol

She's like 35 years old and looks fine. She was a full Jedi Knight when she bombed the temple.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 5, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Watch Tales of the Empire.

I found both stories somewhat nonsensical in that both characters seem to do things without any explanation of why. Morgan especially goes from having her village wiped out by the droid separatists and then she's later a local semi-warlord who wants revenge on.. the droids? Haven't the separatists already been defeated by this point and Grievous killed? And then the last episode is her just going "gently caress everything" I guess.

Even Barris I have no idea why she is in prison or going along with the Empire. I didn't watch Clone Wars or whatever so I have no idea who she is so it would have been good if the show gave us some more insight into her. Instead, she seems pretty apprehensive from the start so it wasn't particularly surprising when she turned on Lyn later. The fact that she watched Lyn wipe out that village and only gave some minor protest is kind of bizarre. And why am I supposed to care about Lyn? Is she also a character from a previous show? Her character shown onscreen is basically just Angry Fascist for like 95% of her screentime lol

Altogether pretty disappointing compared to the amazing first season/series. Even knowing who Dooku is, you have a lot of empathy for him watching him deal with endless Jedi and Republic bullshit while he's the only one questioning why these things are happening

koolkal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 5, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Lyn debuted in the Obi-Wan series, I forgot she existed too.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, now Morgan Elspeth invented the TIE Defender? Had we seen any hint of that kind of technical ability before?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Madurai posted:

Wait, now Morgan Elspeth invented the TIE Defender? Had we seen any hint of that kind of technical ability before?
In Ahsoka, she owned the company that built the trans-galaxy hyperspace ship to save Thrawn. I guess stretching "owner" to actually knowing how to create it is close enough to establishing that.

And I suppose witnessing her clan being decimated by droids would be incentive to learning how they work to destroy them solves my question "why would a Dathomir witch have any technical aptitude at all?"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

koolkal posted:

Watch Tales of the Empire.

I found both stories somewhat nonsensical in that both characters seem to do things without any explanation of why. Morgan especially goes from having her village wiped out by the droid separatists and then she's later a local semi-warlord who wants revenge on.. the droids? Haven't the separatists already been defeated by this point and Grievous killed? And then the last episode is her just going "gently caress everything" I guess.

Even Barris I have no idea why she is in prison or going along with the Empire. I didn't watch Clone Wars or whatever so I have no idea who she is so it would have been good if the show gave us some more insight into her. Instead, she seems pretty apprehensive from the start so it wasn't particularly surprising when she turned on Lyn later. The fact that she watched Lyn wipe out that village and only gave some minor protest is kind of bizarre. And why am I supposed to care about Lyn? Is she also a character from a previous show? Her character shown onscreen is basically just Angry Fascist for like 95% of her screentime lol

Altogether pretty disappointing compared to the amazing first season/series. Even knowing who Dooku is, you have a lot of empathy for him watching him deal with endless Jedi and Republic bullshit while he's the only one questioning why these things are happening

Yeah, I watched Tales of the Empire with my parents, because they happened to be over this weekend and loved Tales of the Jedi but didn’t watch Clone Wars, and they had a lot of questions about Barris. When I explained her backstory, they thought it was cool, but A) thought they should have mentioned some of it in the show itself and B) were expecting it to have some ramifications with Vader. They were let down by both, understandably.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Yeah honestly, Vader could have really hosed her up by just thanking her for helping him see the corrupt ways of the Jedi

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like how in ep 2 of the new cartoon thrawn articulates a reasoned materialist analysis why he thinks the empire isn't sustainable and he's right but the real reason is the head of state loses a wizard fight.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like how in ep 2 of the new cartoon thrawn articulates a reasoned materialist analysis why he thinks the empire isn't sustainable and he's right but the real reason is the head of state loses a wizard fight.

Now look, he actually loses a wrestling match

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Why make Barris an inquisitor and bring in Vader and do NOTHING with it?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I suppose the simplest and possibly intended answer is that the person who'd have cared about her crimes and her betrayal of Ahsoka (Anakin Skywalker) is gone, while Darth Vader has no particular reason to feel strongly about Barriss either way.

Which is not to say that doing nothing more with Vader than having him ominously enter the room and sit on a grim throne was a good choice, but then again her TotE arc as a whole felt fragmentary like that.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I think a lot of the issues with this series could’ve been solved by having more than 45 minutes dedicated to each character. TotJ worked because we’ve seen Ahsoka and Dooku for years across multiple media so we already have a firm grasp of their personalities and motivations and getting various snippets of their lives helps to flesh out some long unanswered background questions about the greater world.

Barriss was prominent in a few arcs of Clone Wars and her TotE episodes felt like a truncated wrap up of some stuff they didn’t have time to get to with Clone Wars’ cancellation and brief final season.

Morgan was in less than a dozen live action episodes as a secondary antagonist, mostly sharing screen time with far more interesting and nuanced characters (Thrawn, Baylin). Her first episode of TotE was more interesting mostly in spite of her, but I generally liked it as an origin for her bitterness and spitefulness. I hoped the subsequent ones would’ve shown how she grew to be calculating and ruthless but she’s already installed herself as magistrate offscreen and that’s just it for her character for the remaining two episodes. She gets a decent fight with Rukh but is otherwise the same Morgan we meet in Mandalorian. No greater history or motivations beyond generalized anger. I also feel like she probably didn’t actually design the Defender herself but just brought the blueprints of a subordinate to the Empire, as she’s never once been shown to have any mechanical or technical aptitude.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I saw the Acolyte sneak peek during TPM re-release. It looks really good. Absolutely didn't look cheap on the big screen and its got me very excited for the show, I will elaborate why but I have to talk about the scene so: Its a fight between Carrie-Ann Moss & Amanda Stenberg's character. First Stenberg takes out a bunch of bar thugs but then she goes after Moss and its just a really fun fight scene. Its in a practical set, a bar, and the scene maintains the geography of the space well and utilizes the set in good ways. Its very Crouching Tiger / Wushu / Anime inspired, from Moss doing the master martial artist basically using one hand to stenberg sliding back from the force push with a dynamic animu pose. Given that I like many of the creators involved I am going to give it the huge benefit of the doubt on the writing and directing especially. Really hope the rest of the show is in line with what the teaser showed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I was gonna say, I've been getting big Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon vibes from all The Acolyte stuff that's been teased.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Finished Bad Batch and that was a really cool show. This last season was visually dark as hell, though. Watching it in a dark room, changing my TV settings, didn't really matter. Where did all the light and colour go?

In hindsight after that last ep I think the season should have been way less about Omega locked up and more about them facing off against the evil mirror crew. Still fun overall but the high points of action and tension happened in earlier seasons.

Might have been someone in this thread but I saw a little while ago someone being disappointed that the rest of the Bad Batch seemed to have stopped fighting after the finale but I liked it. I prefer imagining that my favourite heroic characters can actually cool it at some point in their lives instead of fighting right up until they drop dead.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1787512654984081844
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O77VTIAYGVA

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lobok posted:

Finished Bad Batch and that was a really cool show. This last season was visually dark as hell, though. Watching it in a dark room, changing my TV settings, didn't really matter. Where did all the light and colour go?

Someone posted a video upthread that it was because of both how they did the HD compression and that they most likely used super expensive reference monitors when making the episodes which look like rear end on a lot of different consumer level stuff.

Also, the compression used in the US was different from that used in Commonwealth countries, so if you're in the UK or Australia, streaming the shows made them look like liquid rear end.

e: here

Vintersorg posted:

It happened again with House of the Dragon. There was a nighttime beach scene and some people couldn't see poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D83SXcguwBU

This guy is cool and goes into it (11 minutes).

The gist is that they are basically mastering these on like $10,000 screens and it doesn't translate to consumer OLEDs.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Darth Jar Jar :swoon:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AndyElusive posted:

It gets better.

https://x.com/AgentsFandom/status/1787522510319157457

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, it’s been a while since we had a Lego series (though it’s apparently only going to be 4 episodes long)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Darth Darth Binks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would like to know more about the ewok bounty hunters please

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone posted a video upthread that it was because of both how they did the HD compression and that they most likely used super expensive reference monitors when making the episodes which look like rear end on a lot of different consumer level stuff.

Also, the compression used in the US was different from that used in Commonwealth countries, so if you're in the UK or Australia, streaming the shows made them look like liquid rear end.

Interesting, ok, thank you. I'm in Canada so I don't know where we fall in that definition, lol. Sometimes we are considered some distant, foreign place and other times we are domestic like sure, we're just another part of the States.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If Jedi Bob was ever translated into live-action, I wonder who'd play him and what role he'd play in a story

(Beyond biting it during Order 66, I suppose, since he's technically a PT character that came with the 2002 Lego Republic Gunship set)

Working with the Hidden Path, perhaps?
Ahmed's Jedi character, since Lego Yellow™ can turn into whatever you need it to be?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm very glad but I honestly just assumed it was him anyway. I feel like you can't have anyone else voice JJB if it's not Best.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of like Tony Daniels and 3PO I’m pretty sure Best has played Jar Jar in almost everything, yeah (sort of surprised he keeps coming back honestly considering all the undeserved poo poo he personally got back in the day)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That's partially because after we all failed Jake Lloyd it's now a general consensus that anybody who shits on Best nowadays gets a fuckin slap in the mouf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I thought the Acolyte preview looked neat :shobon: