Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Goblins are talking boogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zereth posted:

Switch the roles of classes and stats. You have 15 Fighter, 13 Wizard, 7 Cleric, etc, and you are a Dexterity. You level up in Dexterity and get Dexteiry Features and learn Dexterity-specific feats, etc.

Will this solve problems? No, but it will give you new, exciting, different problems!
You've just described d20 modern. Never describe d20 modern. Do it the other way (your stats are Fighter, Mage etc and Fighter stars with maximum in Fighter) and you've described Danger Patrol. Always describe Danger Patrol.

Look, goblin thread, I have a lot of words I could post here about ability scores and how they interact with class based systems and are only needed in specific circumstances and why the big six specifically are a bad fit for a "generic" set of ability scores and it's taking a lot of restraint not to start typing and never stop. I'll probably type up a bunch in the chat thread this weekend and drop a link. But basically if you're making a goblin RPG with ability scores they should be stuff like "Sneakiness" and "Malevolence" rather than "Dexterity".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 2, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

- Sneakiness
- Malevolence
- Tinkering
- Cuteness
- Skrinky Skronky Skree Skraw

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

- Sneakiness
- Malevolence
- Tinkering
- Cuteness
- Skrinky Skronky Skree Skraw
- Shortstackliness

this is a comeliness joke I'm not actually being horny on main

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Splicer posted:

- Shortstackliness

this is a comeliness joke I'm not actually being horny on main

throw that under "Cuteness"

Sneakiness is for sneakin
Malevolence is for bitin and knifin
Tinkering is for breakin and makin
Cuteness is for getting away with poo poo
Skrinky Skronky Skree Skraw is obvious.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

throw that under "Cuteness"

Sneakiness is for sneakin
Malevolence is for bitin and knifin
Tinkering is for breakin and makin
Cuteness is for getting away with poo poo
Skrinky Skronky Skree Skraw is obvious.
Malevolence is also for intimidating. I was trying to work out what dodging and backflips fall under but realised that's obviously Skrinky Skronky Skree Skraw

comeliness was a gross old optional seventh stat for D&D and yeah basically comeliness : charisma as shortstackliness : cuteness look I promise at least one old person read my terribly niche in-joke and thought "lol"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 2, 2024

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

you could still have the same level of complexity, you're just shunting it into specific individual characters instead of genericized templates i guess. All that stuff you could still pregen and have in the book. Would probably be better for adventure-focused games, personal kinda scope. Something where like... Conan, for example, is both a warrior and a thief-robber sort of dude. Depending on setting it comes down to magic or not-magic.

This will eventually become a problem tho, because people will identify "hey go in the book check it out, abc go super good together, and xyz go super good together, just always pick abc if you're going to do that, and xyz if you're going to do that" and you've recreated classes from first principles and defeated the entire idea of playing this ultra stripped mode. You'd have to dump basically everything somehow and play something that's extremely not d&d as it is today.

--

I have goblins in both my Traveller & CYOA games but... :shrug:
I think, like elves and trolls etc, letting goblins getting standardized kinda hosed poo poo up in some ways

pretty sure this is literally what it turned out to be lol

Not knocking you, different strokes for different folks and all, but it feels like you're looking for solutions to problems that aren't actually problems.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This seems to call for a Rock of Tahamaat style game where every goblin is (say) Craven, Cute, Mischievous, and Violent and the numbers just measure whether that's fortunate or unfortunate for the gobbo in question.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Halloween Jack posted:

This seems to call for a Rock of Tahamaat style game where every goblin is (say) Craven, Cute, Mischievous, and Violent and the numbers just measure whether that's fortunate or unfortunate for the gobbo in question.

may i offer 'goblin with a fat rear end'

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Any recommendations for cool goblin art books? I've been thinking of designing some goblins of my own, but I'd love some more input to get the creative juices flowing.

I've found "The Goblin Companion" this far, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Screaming Idiot posted:

Not knocking you, different strokes for different folks and all, but it feels like you're looking for solutions to problems that aren't actually problems.
They're describing the concept of point buy bit refusing to call it point buy for some reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Splicer posted:

You've just described d20 modern. Never describe d20 modern. Do it the other way (your stats are Fighter, Mage etc and Fighter stars with maximum in Fighter) and you've described Danger Patrol. Always describe Danger Patrol.

Look, goblin thread, I have a lot of words I could post here about ability scores and how they interact with class based systems and are only needed in specific circumstances and why the big six specifically are a bad fit for a "generic" set of ability scores and it's taking a lot of restraint not to start typing and never stop. I'll probably type up a bunch in the chat thread this weekend and drop a link. But basically if you're making a goblin RPG with ability scores they should be stuff like "Sneakiness" and "Malevolence" rather than "Dexterity".
Make every stat a weird synonym for speed. Dexterity, Agility, Fastosity, etc. There is absolutely no overlap between what each stat covers, or any particular logical relation between the things an individual stat covers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Zereth posted:

Make every stat a weird synonym for speed. Dexterity, Agility, Fastosity, etc. There is absolutely no overlap between what each stat covers, or any particular logical relation between the things an individual stat covers.

Ah, the FromSoftware approach.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Goblins have 4 stats.

Skrinky
Skronky
Skree
Skraw

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Breetai posted:

Goblins have 4 stats.

Skrinky
Skronky
Skree
Skraw

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Oh, great - it's a Skronky check, and I've put everything in Skree.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Splicer posted:

They're describing the concept of point buy bit refusing to call it point buy for some reason.

i guess? i'm imagining it as having p much no stats at all somehow, even hp. If you have hp you have to spend a whole level up getting an entire 1 hp. Hp is basically your constitudtion anyway so you can just roll it as the same thing.

Nostalgamus posted:

Oh, great - it's a Skronky check, and I've put everything in Skree.

imo if there's any synergy between the stats they might as well be the same one stat, each stat should govern major parts of the game. Hurrang and Garrung are entirely superfluous to the four perfect stats already established in the title

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I painted some more goblins!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Some good lookin' gobs!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Atlas Hugged posted:

I painted some more goblins!

Love these goblins! Nice job :)

Where are they from?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Lookit them fine gerblins, nice.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Love these goblins! Nice job :)

Where are they from?

They are from the Glimmers of Greed expansion to Dungeon Saga Origins by Mantic Games, but they're just PVC game pieces based on the hard plastic, multipart goblins for Mantic's Kings of War. You could easily use Kings of War models that you already have to play Dungeon Saga Origins if you didn't want to paint the pile of plastic in the box. I think they're fun models to paint in their own right and the detail is pretty good for PVC.

I finished these bad boys yesterday as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Any recommendations for cool goblin art books? I've been thinking of designing some goblins of my own, but I'd love some more input to get the creative juices flowing.

I've found "The Goblin Companion" this far, but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Arthur Rackham is a classic illustrator who has done stuff around fairies and nymphs and little gnomes etc... and also plenty of goblins. I dunno if there's like a goblins-only book though.

Another couple of illustrators along the same lines are Brian Froud and Alan Lee (they did "Fairies" together, and it has a fair number of obviously goblins in it)

Froud did a pop-up book called "Goblins" too:

Alan Lee has many goblin pics apparently

and also there's David Wenzel; this page about the artist shows a step by step hobgoblin illustration
https://kathytemean.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/illustrator-saturday-david-thorn-wenzel/

And he has illustrated an edition of The Hobbit from 1977, with goblins in:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Leperflesh posted:

Arthur Rackham is a classic illustrator who has done stuff around fairies and nymphs and little gnomes etc... and also plenty of goblins. I dunno if there's like a goblins-only book though.

Another couple of illustrators along the same lines are Brian Froud and Alan Lee (they did "Fairies" together, and it has a fair number of obviously goblins in it)

Froud did a pop-up book called "Goblins" too:

Alan Lee has many goblin pics apparently

and also there's David Wenzel; this page about the artist shows a step by step hobgoblin illustration
https://kathytemean.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/illustrator-saturday-david-thorn-wenzel/

And he has illustrated an edition of The Hobbit from 1977, with goblins in:

Thanks for the awesome gobbo dump! Will check them up. :) I think my dad has that Hobbit comic book, I remember reading it as a kid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i guess? i'm imagining it as having p much no stats at all somehow, even hp. If you have hp you have to spend a whole level up getting an entire 1 hp. Hp is basically your constitudtion anyway so you can just roll it as the same thing.
If you mean no ability scores absolutely yeah. D&D specifically hasn't really needed ability scores for a while, for 5e and 4e you could rip them out entirely and replace them with getting all those derived stats from combinations of class, background, archetype, and feats.

If you mean replace ability scores with different levels of mage/fighter/rogue then that's just ability scores by a different name.

If you mean a pure point buy system where every single thing in the game is bought individually, there's issues with that that are a bit beyond the scope of this thread but are super fun to talk about!

Anyway back to goblins. Can robots be goblins?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

only if theyre made from sufficiently stupid technology

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

only if theyre made from sufficiently stupid technology
The middle unit is all your "dead" grenadin standing on top of each other.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
GIR from Invader Zim is def a goblin

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Can someone post the images for us without twitter

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

It's these:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ty

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Has anyone linked this video yet?

Edit: Original comic is here:

https://twitter.com/basedbinkie/status/1685647492355112960

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 9, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm on board with cocinando con duendes but I feel like goblin consommé probably has snails in it or something

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like the very, very tiny link labelled "art" that doesn't even have the name of the artist in it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/thegnarlyghost/status/1788532041945849922?t=7KWYPY1FGm--YPR778A3Jw&s=19

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Open this skree skraw up

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The one on the right with the Triangle slays me.

My armour class is terrible and they won initiative.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Splicer posted:

I like the very, very tiny link labelled "art" that doesn't even have the name of the artist in it.

Yeah, that's not exactly kosher. Edited my post to include a direct artist link.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

This is what I'm hearing (volume warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xv3Tf6zYG4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Flakey posted:

Open this skree skraw up

Skreeeeee