Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sharpe Practice or Rebels & Patriots / Men Who Would Be Kings . Most of the engagements you'd be fighting with those models can be broken down into small "platoon" or less actions anyway. I think the Osprey books have recommendations for the Fenian Raids and the Patriot's Rebellion, as well as a hypothetical English intervention in the USCW (though those rules are deliberately abstract, theres no definitive armt lists).

And I have said it before but while everyone gets caught up talking about ww2 or scifi miniatures but man the colonial era stuff all assumes you're basically only interested in European ubermensch. Maybe I want to play the Sepoys and do it right this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I have Pulp! and Men Who Would Be Kings.

I still need to find paints that are the right colours since Foundry stopped selling their big sets.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I like Vallejo paints, the bottles are better and the colors are a little more muted. This has a decent converter from Citadel to some other brands. Idk about the old Foundry paints thoufh

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Better off checking scalemates if you want colors.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What happened with Fall of the Smaurai, I'm pretty sure I had that as DLC but now its a seperate game?

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
I meant more what to paint what colour without a guide. It was easier when there was "British foreign service Khaki 1880-1918" premixed, rather than me trying to figure out what dark, medium and light paints will give the right look. Bolt Action has "Canadian Battledress Green", for example, but I can't find any paints for the niche miniatures.

How are AK paints ?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

like I said https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION%5B%5D=Paints&q=khaki

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also consider that, much like real life, by the time you're done highlighting, shading, and weathering it's not gonna be exactly the same color

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's way more specific options for something like 4BO though, but trying to match that paint color is also a fools errand since the original paint wasn't chemically stable and would change with age.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

rather than me trying to figure out what dark, medium and light paints will give the right look.

Also this part is actually really as people will just tell you to mix an off white and a dark grey or black with your base color for highlights and shades.

But also more paint ranges are doing a trinary system of colors for anyone who doesn't want to do the mixing.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Someone in the historical market must see how well Citadel Contrast Paint is selling, surely?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Someone in the historical market must see how well Citadel Contrast Paint is selling, surely?

Army Painter has "speed paints"- the first generation was apparently hosed up (getting it at all wet would reactivate it) but the issue seems to have been resolved, and they seem relatively popular as a cheaper alternative. Vallejo also had their express paints, but idk too much about them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Contrast paints are a pain in the rear end to use and don't turn out as well as you would like.

It's a product that sells you the dream of painting something not the final result of having something painted.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Which is admittedly a step up from now, where I keep getting quotes from those professional warhams painters and wondering if I could somehow expense it if I have a diorama made for educational purposes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly if you're getting anxious about exact paint colors just do some fantastical stuff to get started

Just threw these Oathmark orcs together for a One Ring TTRPG

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rome Remastered question: I've taken over two Gaul settlements, and I occupied one and enslaved the other. I couldn't really tell much of a difference either way. Am I supposed to do something with the buildings that were already built? It seems like the game isn't stopping me from building Barracks and going directly into hiring Hastati out of the towns, but there's a line about the buildings belonging to a different culture and I don't know if there's some kind of penalty associated with that, and how I'm supposed to deal with it, if at all.

This is advice from RTW vanilla, so take it with a grain of salt:

Enslaving distributes half the population among settlements that have governors (so you can do targeted growth), reduces the tresholds for repression and effectively increases public order, and creates a temporary trade good "slaves" that expires after a while, but produces extra population growth in it and the provinces trading with that one while it lasts. Generally, it's better to do it than to straight up occupy, especially if you're playing Romans and want to boost your primary cities up.

Buildings of a foreign culture add to culture based unrest. If you can't upgrade the with your own variants, they'll remain a permanent malus unless you destroy them. If you're not having public order issues, you don't need to do it. Some might have bonuses you'll want to keep and are fine with eating the penalty for them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Minenfeld! posted:

Correct take: all TW games suck.

no, Medieval 1 was amazing.

honestly I think Shogun 2 is probably the best one in the series. Everything there works pretty well.

StashAugustine posted:

Army Painter has "speed paints"- the first generation was apparently hosed up (getting it at all wet would reactivate it) but the issue seems to have been resolved, and they seem relatively popular as a cheaper alternative. Vallejo also had their express paints, but idk too much about them.

Vallejo Xpress Colour are nice. They're pretty matte, they're a bit thinner than contrast, they have a longer working time, and they're very uniform across the entire range in terms of pigmentation. Although ironically this makes them not as good in some ways at being Contrast/Speed Paints than they are as for blending/glazing/filtering. In other ways since they're thinner you're less likely to apply too much paint at once and destroy any undershading you've done.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 19:37 on May 4, 2024

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

KomradeX posted:

What happened with Fall of the Smaurai, I'm pretty sure I had that as DLC but now its a seperate game?

its standalone dlc i think, so you can own it without the base game
it still opens up shogun 2 but the sengoku campaign is greyed out

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FotS was split out as a stand alone dlc and the first 'saga' game when they were trying that model out.

I will reiterate: Three Kingdoms is the best campaign and tactical gameplay they've done and its not close. I love Shogun, Rome 1 and both Medievals, but it's very hard to go back to them now

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Fuligin posted:

FotS was split out as a stand alone dlc and the first 'saga' game when they were trying that model out.

To be clear, FotS was not originally a 'saga' game, it was just DLC for Shogun 2. it was later promoted/demoted to a saga game in order to make them look better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
we're knocking out campaigns left-and-right in Gradenko's Haus of Strategy:

after doing this as Venezuela in Victoria 3:

now we have this:

bought the game yesterday, got it done today

by the back half of the campaign I was mostly using auto-resolve because it was just full stacks of Hastati outnumbering warbands 3-to-1. After taking out the Gauls completely, I was stabbed-in-the-back by Germania, and it was four of their settlements that added up to what I needed to hit the 15-city win condition

I find myself rather more enamored with the strategic layer, perverse as that may sound: building up your cities is fun, and shuttling troops around to form armies and making sure current ones get replenished feels satisfying. By the time I'm in position to fight a battle I usually outnumber them by so much that I don't feel like the load time is worth it, though I guess that's a function of playing on Easy, and I definitely used it in the early stages when the battles were much closer but you need those strings of early victories to get the snowball started

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I know what you mean, I also genuinely enjoyed the strategic later, and had a few campaigns where I deliberately autoresolved everything. The Julii campaign is kinda monotonous since you're just fighting varying flavour of half-naked bearded guys with shields.

My favorite Roman campaign is the long Scipii campaign, but rushing for Greece ahead of the Brutii after conquering Sicily, and only ending Carthage once I'm well established in the Balkans. You have a very diverse set of enemies, get to grab the wonders of the world, and pick up some cool mercenaries along the way. And right about the time you run out of interesting stuff to beat up, the other Romans gang up on you, and it's time to face the full might of Rome head on.

I highly advise trying out Greece for a very interesting strategic position and some phalanx fun.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
one of the consistent problems with the Total War games ever since Rome 1 is that it is much much easier to avoid battles you don't want than it was in Shogun 1 or Medieval 1, which means fewer close battles, which by the late game means fewer battles there's any point in having at all

every campaign eventually reaches a point where you're handing out decisive victory after decisive victory and you may as well just autoresolve everything, the harder campaigns just take longer to get there

Fall of the Samurai is a great campaign but it also has the worst steamroll problem, both because of the way Realm Divide works in that campaign and also because the AI is completely incapable of dealing with the incredible rate of fire or accuracy of lategame gunpowder units. if you do fight manually you're treated to a few hours of ridiculously one-sided slaughters in which entire armies melt to machine gun and artillery fire and your riflemen don't even get to do anything

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Jagged Alliance 3 now does this also.

It is 50% of on GoG now and is pretty fun so far.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

sullat posted:

It is 50% of on GoG now and is pretty fun so far.

I've been picking away at it, it is fun for sure, but just doesn't quite scratch the JA2 itch.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

I've been picking away at it, it is fun for sure, but just doesn't quite scratch the JA2 itch.

Sounds like somebody misses Skyrider! But I get it, I think JA2 is more about pure tactics while JA3 has a lot of the video gamey stuff.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah, don't get me wrong though, it is fun. Maybe it is unfair to compare it to one of the best tactics games ever made?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
JA2 as it exists now, with 1.13, is also one of the most extensively customizable experiences in gaming, to the point that it's less a game and more a game kit, so you can spend hours tinkering with it until you get every little component tuned exactly the way you want it, and it's difficult for even a very good game to measure up to something tailored to the user's specific personal preferences

my personal JA2 1.13 configuration feels perfect and it feels perfect because every time something feels off I just go into the configuration and change it

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think a really big step down for me is how I can kinda just sleepwalk through the game. I don't really need to set up ambushes or killzones. I can kinda walk my group forwards and I'll encounter the enemies in that sector a couple at a time. Gunfire doesn't seem to really draw people in the way it did in JA2. It feels much more linear, even though on a technical level you can approach from any angle. It is a mechanic from the modern Xcom games that I just don't care for.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Idk what’s going on at THQ, but the devs have already been moved onto a new project. My hope is that workshop support and improved mod tools let people make something more of it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If you like Rome and the management part of TW then I can't recommend Field of Glory: Empires enough.

The sequel Kingdoms set in medieval times is due to release next month.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Empires is great in my book just for making a recruited manipular legion consist of units of hastati, principes, and triarii instead of making you recruit them separately

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The glory that is Project Self in Dominions 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vroeAE-NNI

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
seems like projecting in and then dropping fire storm or some other spell that hits the whole battlefield could be pretty drat nasty

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
does sneaking in scouts with gems and projecting or teleporting in still work in dom6?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shogun: Fall of the Samurai question:

I actually had a short campaign going on here about a month ago, but I sort of bailed on it because it looked like I wasn't going to make the 15-province win condition before I ran out of time, but I'm thinking of coming back to it (or starting a new attempt) now that I have some experience with Rome under my belt.

sidebar posted:

with Rome, I can sort of see where the different occupation options come into play: direct occupation lets you begin immediately recruiting from the settlement, assuming the buildings and the size of the town are appropriate. Enslaving the population boosts the population of all other settlements everywhere, which can be useful for making sure all your other towns get a leg up in becoming large enough to upgrade to the next tier. Exterminating means you have to start from scratch, but it lets you avoid things like needing to garrison a large occupied city, or the culture and public order shifts of enslaved populations coming into your older, other settlements.

With FOTS, I never got a good sense for how that was supposed to shake out: what I did in my first attempt was to occupy every town - because of the unhappiness, I had to leave enough troops to keep the cities pacified, but it would always amount to so many troops that I wouldn't have an army left over to continue my conquests until I brought up a bunch of peasant levies to serve as beat cops

If I sacked a city, I know it yields a ton of gold, and my thinking was that once you got a snowball going, you could just roll on through, sacking cities and not caring that they'd be reduced to unprofitability, because you'd just plow the ill-gotten gains back into more troops produced by your core cities... except sacking produced even more unhappiness, which doesn't really solve the problem of constantly having to leave garrisons

what is the approach here? was I supposed to just have been better at sending troops forward constantly so I wouldn't have to keep waiting around for a garrison?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cerebral Bore posted:

does sneaking in scouts with gems and projecting or teleporting in still work in dom6?

Projecting doesn't let you bring gems on the projection, so you can't cast spells that use regular gems.

Since blood slaves are, well, not something you carry around in your pocket, they can be used by any nearby mage, so a scout sneak attacking into the province he's hiding in and carrying blood slaves can provide them for the projection's magic phase attack. (Can't sneak attack it from neighboring provinces, the idea is that he's already there when the magic phasing happens)

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shogun: Fall of the Samurai question:

I actually had a short campaign going on here about a month ago, but I sort of bailed on it because it looked like I wasn't going to make the 15-province win condition before I ran out of time, but I'm thinking of coming back to it (or starting a new attempt) now that I have some experience with Rome under my belt.

With FOTS, I never got a good sense for how that was supposed to shake out: what I did in my first attempt was to occupy every town - because of the unhappiness, I had to leave enough troops to keep the cities pacified, but it would always amount to so many troops that I wouldn't have an army left over to continue my conquests until I brought up a bunch of peasant levies to serve as beat cops

If I sacked a city, I know it yields a ton of gold, and my thinking was that once you got a snowball going, you could just roll on through, sacking cities and not caring that they'd be reduced to unprofitability, because you'd just plow the ill-gotten gains back into more troops produced by your core cities... except sacking produced even more unhappiness, which doesn't really solve the problem of constantly having to leave garrisons

what is the approach here? was I supposed to just have been better at sending troops forward constantly so I wouldn't have to keep waiting around for a garrison?

Sacking ruins your daimyo's honor, yes, so you generally never want to do it.
The trick is, somewhat counter-intuitively, to either drop your tax rate globally (which also boosts income growth), or to click to checkbox on individual cities to free them from paying taxes until they mellow out a bit. You are expected to keep some small amount of cheap garrison, yes. There's no global food growth mechanic in Fall iirc, so you're also expected to actually upgrade your forts and build unrest suppression stuff in some slots instead of just stockpiling food. Also, tbh, just get some shitlings prepared in advance to take over.

The way I'd normally play the game is to limit myself to a stack and a half at most, to get a core of cities just shy of realm divide, and then tech up, build up, and play tall until I have a financial base to just roll over the rest of Japan.

Navy trick: The cheapest non-gunship boats autoresolve *really* well while being dirt cheap. Make your fleets out of them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Projecting doesn't let you bring gems on the projection, so you can't cast spells that use regular gems.

Since blood slaves are, well, not something you carry around in your pocket, they can be used by any nearby mage, so a scout sneak attacking into the province he's hiding in and carrying blood slaves can provide them for the projection's magic phase attack. (Can't sneak attack it from neighboring provinces, the idea is that he's already there when the magic phasing happens)

yeah, that makes sense. kinda hard to find a glamour/astral/blood mage to pull it off with though

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cerebral Bore posted:

yeah, that makes sense. kinda hard to find a glamour/astral/blood mage to pull it off with though

Gygjas! Since the projections keep the boosts the casters got from boosters before casting the spell as their baseline (but not the boosters themselves), they can actually pull it off.

Alternatively, if you have a pretender that's already got those, paths, too.

You can do some funny/infuriating poo poo with projected blood, like hellpower horror bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
have to say, its impressive how CA added empirebuilding fluff to the funny warhams total war game.