Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 03, 1963)

It wasn't until that fourth panel that I realized how absurdly spacious the cabin room is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Seriously, I think that cabin is bigger than my living room.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

drat, that revived some memories of pencil fighting in elementary and early middle school.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/5/04

Brenda Starr 2/26-28/53

Smokey Stover 5/7/61

Everyday Movies 7/3/37

"What's the use of washing pillow-cases, Duke? I always go to bed in the dark so I won't notice them."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/26-28/43

Closer Than We Think! 5/7/61

The title makes me think of this literary classic I used to have as a kid:

Which was published a year after the strip, so who knows?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That Garfield is messing with me in a big way, like is it supposed to point out that Garfield does live in comic strip world, because in comic strip world it's also possible that cats talk, even though Garfield the cat very pointedly does not talk in Garfield the comic strip?

or did they do a mixup at Paws Inc that is on par with coloring Garfield green and just aren't doing any basic quality control on their output

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

The title makes me think of this literary classic I used to have as a kid:

Which was published a year after the strip, so who knows?

Early hovercraft had a variety of goofy names but this is the only reference to “triphibious” I’ve ever seen so I suspect some borrowing there.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't think so, I think he's just a random-rear end coyote Rudy smelled one day and then got told to leave it be by his girlfriend, we didn't get any info on who they were or why they were there. And now Holbrook is going back to it because he's bored and needs an easily poked drama beehive new character to set up another pregnancy story, i guess?
I could be wrong re: the coyotes affiliation, it's been a minute since they showed up.

FTFY.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Related to this thread's interests:

And I really loved this self-portrait she drew of her and Moomin, who despite being tiny, is kinda looming over her.

And now I'm wondering if Moomin is to scale here, and Moominvalley is actually really tiny.

Thanks for sharing this. More Moomin content is always welcome. :3:

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I don't understand this guy's design. His head is the size of a baby's. He appears to have a rooster comb for hair. And I can't even tell where his mouth is. Is it the downward arrow under his eyes and that ugly blob is supposed to be an unfortunate beard? Or is that weird blob supposed to be his mouth and this guy just doesn't have a chin or jawline?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I remember the BUT NOW... WOW! guy being unable to hide his incredible boner for strong, independent women but it was the 60s so he'd draw a kickass lady harpooning a shark and say "gee isn't that crazy fellas, them dames want it all, what a shame it'd be!"

Beginning to think Scarlet's author is in the same boat. There sure are a lot of big women up to no good in this universe!

On the shorter side of things I'm happy that Aleta kicked that guy's rear end about four times. :haw:

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/14/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/18/1994)

Ziggy

This is a stupid joke but I still feel the need to point out that current "AI" does not, in fact, think.

(12/14/1971)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

[

Dude in the foreground is all :eyepop:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

amigolupus posted:

Or is that weird blob supposed to be his mouth and this guy just doesn't have a chin or jawline?
Yes. Or rather, he doesn't have a neck and so his head is sort tucked down inside his collar.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

quote:

good trade, Ziggy. go for it imo

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 03, 1963)

Aleta's expression in the last panel...I'm very excited to see what happens next :evilbuddy:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Hippocrass posted:

Nell Brinkely - "Golden Eyes" and Her Hero, "Bill"(March 31, 1918)

The original piece clearly had the labels under the bottom row of devices, but the book cut them off. This the best quality scan I can get, so the labels that are there are a bit blurry. The actual story begins next Sunday.

Imagine having a full page (I assume) to print things like this in your paper.

I doubt anyone cares, but I think the bottom row is:

Machinist, Hospital/Pharmacy, Musician, Commissary Steward, Gunner's Mate, Storekeeper, Gun captain, Gun pointer 1st class, Excellence in Gunnery, Radio Operator, Ex-apprentice, Yeoman, Electrician

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Says who? :colbert:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

pencilhands posted:

drat this lady was so determined to cuck wilbur she sexually assaulted a waiter

Sure, we were all disappointed when he didn't die after falling off that ship, but perhaps we'll get the next best thing, which is everybody in his life conspiring to make him wish he had.

caribiner23
Apr 12, 2024

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Mexikid Stories

This was totally part of my childhood at a Catholic school in suburban Chicago.

caribiner23 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 6, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Has Kelly from the Onion done a version of this? It's right up his alley :sickos:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not that I can turn up in a bit of digging.

I did learn that there are two versions of the original cartoon on the internet. This one:

and this one, that changes the cartoonist head model, enlarges the text balloon, adds a cafe name, and removes some floor detritus and the frame:

I don't know why the second one exists, or if it was a modification done by Kliban himself, but I would cynically guess it has to do with someone removing the artist signature because they're a content thief.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

I don't know why the second one exists, or if it was a modification done by Kliban himself, but I would cynically guess it has to do with someone removing the artist signature because they're a content thief.

I wonder if "Glynn's Cafe" is a reference to John Glynn, who used to be president of Andrews McMeel (owner of Gocomics) and is now at King Features (Comics Kingdom).

I also turned up a modified version by Nina Paley, which I won't bother posting because Nina Paley is a TERF so screw her.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

fondue posted:

Is that a lion?

Probably more like a housecat in a lion's body.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 3, 1936)

Peanuts (May 9, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire better drat well drop the other shoe on this nonsense very soon.

Li'l Abner (June 25-27, 1936)

Thimble Theater (December 9, 1940)

Out Our Way (August 14-16, 1944; spoiler for more wartime Japanese-related racism.)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

:unsmigghh:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(November 7, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 8, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(April 7, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 29, 1919)

Us Boys(May 6, 1912)

The Gumps(June 4, 1917)

Bringing up Father(February 10, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 23, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 18, 1918)

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 6, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Early hovercraft had a variety of goofy names but this is the only reference to “triphibious” I’ve ever seen so I suspect some borrowing there.

Some years later, Japanese film studio Nikkatsu would release "Gappa, the Triphibian Monster", a kaiju film where the titular monster(s) can both fly and swim (and of course walk around on land.)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Thank you for my new avatar.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Breaking Cat News Instagram

Georgia Dunn posted:

A new personal comic to share with you this Monday morning. ✨🧡✨

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Strange Cares posted:

Thank you for my new avatar.

that's why he's named Archie :tutbutt:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

this is so earnest and wistful. i'd buy a print.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

drat

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Adventures In Nothing Bad Happening To You Because You Prevented It Through Contrivance

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

drat, Megan and the waiter are arranging some squealing pig sex and Wilbur gets dropped like a hot potato

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Continuing my slow march to the present day of the thread and just hit upon the edit discussion. I can only remember ever doing one edit...five years ago, apparently. Although the point it's making is, I think many will agree, fairly evergreen.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Out Our Way mom just has a whole bottle of speed in the cupboard, doesn't she?

We Are Reproducing

quote:

Gee, who’da thunk actually explaining what was going on would make the patient feel better about the process? (Also, Dr. Sawa is relatively cool, but still totally going to bat for the PoS Dr. T, so.)

Haraiso Days

quote:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I don't follow this Holbrook stuff and honestly shouldn't even be occasionally reading it whenever it's posted here, but

The hell is up with Slick McGee here going as far as never ditching the backwards cap and sunglasses even when sleeping in a loving bed? What deep lore do these items hold for him that he will wear them even in the shower and on his wedding day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The difference between Dr Sawa and Dr T is so funny

I like that even though he started trying to go to bat for Dr T he still wound up doing the surgery in his place after his sad boy retreat