Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Are you using a mod or something? How is your south-facing lamp showing a sprite outside of its own tile? Mine don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

worm girl posted:

Are you using a mod or something? How is your south-facing lamp showing a sprite outside of its own tile? Mine don't do that.

:iiam:

Looks like a mod conflict somewhere, in that case. God only knows what, I stripped the list down and I can’t imagine what’s left in it that could cause that, but it must be the case. Thanks for the confirmation!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Of my 8 colonists, 4 are incapable of violence, 1 has 0/0 skill or passion.

I have 1 good shooter, 1 mediocre melee and a ghoul, who's saved the colony single handedly several times.

I'm turning to the dark arts to survive. A psychic ship crash landed and I didn't fancy my chances against the scythers. Draw fleshbeasts spawned a tunnel right under the ship fragment, destroying it :cool:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Kestral posted:

:iiam:

Looks like a mod conflict somewhere, in that case. God only knows what, I stripped the list down and I can’t imagine what’s left in it that could cause that, but it must be the case. Thanks for the confirmation!

Did you originally install them elsewhere and reinstall them? Maybe there's a bug involving moving them.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Of my 8 colonists, 4 are incapable of violence, 1 has 0/0 skill or passion.

I have 1 good shooter, 1 mediocre melee and a ghoul, who's saved the colony single handedly several times.

I'm turning to the dark arts to survive. A psychic ship crash landed and I didn't fancy my chances against the scythers. Draw fleshbeasts spawned a tunnel right under the ship fragment, destroying it :cool:

Ghoul dead, melee dead, shooter captured. Think I'll abandon this run :/

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, having 5 out of 8 colonists permanently useless in a fight is a solid reason to restart, unless you are going for some sort of gimmick, line mechanitor only run.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any good ways of dealing with predators as an animist colony other than walling off the entire pen area?
Them attacking and eating my animals doesn't count as an aggressive move apparently, so my colonists get really mad if I force them to kill them.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If you want to love all the animals you have to love all the animals, even the ones that eat other animals. :smug:

But yeah fences are only useful for penning in livestock and they do jack-all for actually protecting them since most predators can just walk past them. If you want to keep predators away you'll need actual walls around the animal pens.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found a very animist way of dealing with them. Tame and sell to a passing caravan. Hope they enjoy their 5 cobras.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Broken Cog posted:

Any good ways of dealing with predators as an animist colony other than walling off the entire pen area?
Them attacking and eating my animals doesn't count as an aggressive move apparently, so my colonists get really mad if I force them to kill them.

Animal warcall? It's saved the rear end of a yttakin kid visiting my colony as a refugee before, though your pawns might not be in position in time to save pen animals. Plus you still have to get it out of your pen.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Been away from Rimworld for a while, since Biotech. I have a mixed opinion about previous DLCs and I'm not sure if I should get back into things and pick up the new one.

I though Royalty was... fine. Ideology was great! But I thought that biotech was super fiddly and overly complex, plus it just trashed the vibes in a way I didn't enjoy.

What's the consensus on Anomaly so far?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Been away from Rimworld for a while, since Biotech. I have a mixed opinion about previous DLCs and I'm not sure if I should get back into things and pick up the new one.

I though Royalty was... fine. Ideology was great! But I thought that biotech was super fiddly and overly complex, plus it just trashed the vibes in a way I didn't enjoy.

If you want a DLC that doesn’t change the vibes it’s not what you’re looking for. It IS extremely cool and adds an absolute ton of new kinds of enemies and events, all of which have their own unique mechanics, so if you want to have to react to something besides the same basic raid types that you can respond to in the same way it’s unmatched.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Kestral posted:

I've gotta come back to the wall lamps thing again. On the one hand I've got these lamps:
Is this what it's actually like now, where only east-west lamps look right, or do I have some weirdness going on?

there's definitely something hosed, i think. i've found placing wall lamps to be a bit weird, but i dont think i've ever had the selection box be in the wrong place like that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Anomoly is great if, and only if, you want to do a crazy lovecraftian playthrough, with a ton of completely novel kinds of threats and challenges. Basically it lets you opt into some spooky themed raids that are pretty well polished and thematic.

If you are not interested in a series of eldritch challenges, there is absolutely nothing else in this DLC. The systems it adds aren't too fiddly, but they do radically change the vibe. The biggest thing it expects you do (besides fight new kinds of things) is capture monstrosities and study them in an alternate tech tree that gives you various eldritch powers to work with.

If that whole vibe sounds fun, it's going to be amazing. If that kind of stuff doesn't fit with the vibes you're looking for in Rimworld, there's not going to be anything there for you.

Out of curiosity, what about Biotech ruined the vibes for you? It is fiddly, but I thought it basically added a lot of options that you could easily opt out of if you weren't into them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, why do animals not protect their master when he's being mauled to death as long as he's not drafted?

My handler got a dark visions breakdown just as I got attacked by a massive wave of sightstealers, and all the elephants and panthers just stood around watching him getting beat down. Nothing I could do, since none of my other colonists had high enough animals skill to transfer them to temporarily.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Still playing without expansions, have a nice colony going with way too few colonists (just 6 for a colony that could easily sustain 10). Oh hey, a shuttle crash with two good candidates, let's rescue the-
*drop pod raid, every colonist gets wounded*
Okay, let's patch up and let people recover, send the least wounded to get the crash candida-
*traditional raid, barely fought off*
Okay, we survived and no one lost anything major, let's go check on those shuttle crash guys-

Severe brain damage from blood loss. Welp.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Eiba posted:

Out of curiosity, what about Biotech ruined the vibes for you? It is fiddly, but I thought it basically added a lot of options that you could easily opt out of if you weren't into them.

I probably didn't give it a fair shake, I only spent a few hours with it. Basically I like the space western war crimes theme of the game, and I suddenly had elephant men and catgirls running around and it just threw me off. I didn't spend a lot of time with it though, I'm sure it's customizable enough- tbh I was also just kinda burned out on the game at that point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My personal ranking for the DLC is
Ideology
Anomaly
Biology
Royalty

but only because I really like the SCP and body horror themes Anomaly, while animal people and bougie themes do nothing for me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Still playing without expansions, have a nice colony going with way too few colonists (just 6 for a colony that could easily sustain 10). Oh hey, a shuttle crash with two good candidates, let's rescue the-
*drop pod raid, every colonist gets wounded*
Okay, let's patch up and let people recover, send the least wounded to get the crash candida-
*traditional raid, barely fought off*
Okay, we survived and no one lost anything major, let's go check on those shuttle crash guys-

Severe brain damage from blood loss. Welp.

i really like the "stabilize here" mod. it feels fair - why can't you just stop the heavy bleeding before carrying them 10 kilometers away to your base?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2023407836

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

marumaru posted:

i really like the "stabilize here" mod. it feels fair - why can't you just stop the heavy bleeding before carrying them 10 kilometers away to your base?

You can do that in vanilla nowadays. Just draft someone, and when you right click on the wounded person there should be "Tend X" and "Tend X (without medicine)".

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

You can do that in vanilla nowadays. Just draft someone, and when you right click on the wounded person there should be "Tend X" and "Tend X (without medicine)".

oooh, i had no idea, neat!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

marumaru posted:

I have that (I believe - definitely have the functionality for it), but I didn't think I'd need to do it before the first raid hit, and I couldn't get someone to them between the first and second raid in time. It wasn't rapid bleeding, the raids just took forever to resolve.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

I probably didn't give it a fair shake, I only spent a few hours with it. Basically I like the space western war crimes theme of the game, and I suddenly had elephant men and catgirls running around and it just threw me off. I didn't spend a lot of time with it though, I'm sure it's customizable enough- tbh I was also just kinda burned out on the game at that point.

Elephant men and catgirls are modded content. Biotech doesn't have anything like that.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

worm girl posted:

catgirls are modded content

a tragedy. tynan, fix this oversight

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it has pig men and furry men and cave men and imp men but not specifically cat men or elephant men.

You could probably make anime catgirls out of the biotech stuff by adding together parts of yttakin and highmates.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Instead of catgirls Biotech has sci-fi prostitutes, ala Asari.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Started a new gimmick colony, will see how far this gets.

THE BLOODMOTH is nigh-immortal but not invincible, so I still have to put in some effort into keeping them alive, and if they ever die that's the end of the colony. Aim of the game is to power up THE BLOODMOTH by any means necessary, so completing the Monolith questline, maxed-out psylink and Empire title, stuffed to the gills with bionics, etc.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i still don't know how to make funny-sized colonists, are those genes vanilla?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

marumaru posted:

i still don't know how to make funny-sized colonists, are those genes vanilla?

There are a few different body size changing mods but this is one of the main ones.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2920751126

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Goodby Weasel, everyone's friend & the man who practically built this settlement.

The raiders were aiming at someone else, missed, instantly destroyed his brain in one headshot. Also he instantaneously started rotting which was rough to see. All the raiders except 1 died.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Broken Cog posted:

Man, why do animals not protect their master when he's being mauled to death as long as he's not drafted?

My handler got a dark visions breakdown just as I got attacked by a massive wave of sightstealers, and all the elephants and panthers just stood around watching him getting beat down. Nothing I could do, since none of my other colonists had high enough animals skill to transfer them to temporarily.

there is a checkbox in the animals UI to have them follow their master while doing regular work, although in this particular case it might be that the animals could not see the sightstealer due to its stealth bullshit so they didn't aggro on it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Started a new gimmick colony, will see how far this gets.

lmao I love this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

QuarkJets posted:

What I've never understood is why human leather and human meat is valued the way it is in-game.

First, human meat is relatively low-value as a market good, which makes sense because so many pawns don't like eating it. 0.8 silver could make sense. But insect meat is only 0.5 silver, and the moodlets for eating that (-3) are a lot less severe than human meat (-15). It's like the pricing is backwards, Tynan is artificially inflating rewards for a warcrime playstyle for some stupid reason

The story is even worse for human leather. Most pawns don't like wearing human leather, its stats are all terrible, yet for some reason it's in the upper echelon for market value at 4.2 silver, tying with rhinoceros leather despite that providing twice the protection. Again, Tynan is artificially inflating rewards for a warcrime playstyle for some stupid reason

I'd argue that most factions simply shouldn't accept human meat or human leather as a trade good. This kind of behavior is already built into the game, as not all factions accept all goods for trade, but all of them will purchase human leather cowboy hats by the truckload.

Human meat should be pretty easy to pass off as non-human meat if you wanted to because it's not particularly visually different from most meat once it's processed, so being able to sell mystery meat to people who would otherwise not know is reasonably plausible(people psychically knowing when they've consumed human meat in a meal or even more ludicrously in a nutrient paste slurry is kind of hilarious). Insect meat is described as being extremely weird and different and slimy and gross so it would be easy to identify on sight.

Human leather being a hot commodity is pretty loving weird. Not only is it horrifying, it's also terrible for doing anything leather does and is also very, very identifiable. Everyone being in the market for human leather dusters is one of those legacy things that I think remains as it does due to sheer inertia rather than because Tynan is secretly in the tank for big cannibalism.

The lust for human leather coats aside, warcrime playstyles aren't really that incentivized in the vanilla game. Slavery is situationally somewhat useful but extremely fiddly and intentionally designed so it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain the more you try to scale it up, organ harvesting is basically nonexistent as a reliable income stream without mods like death rattle that make it more viable, and functionally nothing evil you can do will make you more money than making GBS threads out billions of tons of drugs or corn or art.

I do think that this is yet another example of how the overworld map/factions/diplomacy need a DLC-sized rework, because fleshing out the trade system and having a reputation to maintain that affects how other groups see/treat you based on your actions in a bit less of a simplistic way would be neat. Being reviled by other "civilized" factions because you're running the human leather Gucci Emporium would be interesting.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really hope the next DLC will focus on making the overworld into something more than a glorified menu.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kanos posted:

Human meat should be pretty easy to pass off as non-human meat if you wanted to because it's not particularly visually different from most meat once it's processed, so being able to sell mystery meat to people who would otherwise not know is reasonably plausible(people psychically knowing when they've consumed human meat in a meal or even more ludicrously in a nutrient paste slurry is kind of hilarious). Insect meat is described as being extremely weird and different and slimy and gross so it would be easy to identify on sight.

Human leather being a hot commodity is pretty loving weird. Not only is it horrifying, it's also terrible for doing anything leather does and is also very, very identifiable. Everyone being in the market for human leather dusters is one of those legacy things that I think remains as it does due to sheer inertia rather than because Tynan is secretly in the tank for big cannibalism.

The lust for human leather coats aside, warcrime playstyles aren't really that incentivized in the vanilla game. Slavery is situationally somewhat useful but extremely fiddly and intentionally designed so it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain the more you try to scale it up, organ harvesting is basically nonexistent as a reliable income stream without mods like death rattle that make it more viable, and functionally nothing evil you can do will make you more money than making GBS threads out billions of tons of drugs or corn or art.

I do think that this is yet another example of how the overworld map/factions/diplomacy need a DLC-sized rework, because fleshing out the trade system and having a reputation to maintain that affects how other groups see/treat you based on your actions in a bit less of a simplistic way would be neat. Being reviled by other "civilized" factions because you're running the human leather Gucci Emporium would be interesting.

tbh this is what I had hoped Anomaly was going to be, and now we gotta wait until next July for another shot at an official rework.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I really hope the next DLC will focus on making the overworld into something more than a glorified menu.

O is for Caravan

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Just go full troll and call it Horizons

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Flesh Forge posted:

there is a checkbox in the animals UI to have them follow their master while doing regular work, although in this particular case it might be that the animals could not see the sightstealer due to its stealth bullshit so they didn't aggro on it.
Unfortunately, having a mental breakdown doesn't count as field work.

And the animals were right next to the handler being attacked, but didn't react at all.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
An obelisk created a clone of one of my colonists. The original had a son. The son eventually grew up. The colonists started doing chronophagy rituals to de-age the adults, and this brought the son and clone-mom into the same age range. And that's how I learned that clones don't inherit relationships and aren't prevented from dating the original's relatives. :shepface:

I had to pop open developer mode and undo that real quick.

Immediately after that, I gave 700 silver to some beggars and they got swarmed by sightstealers at the edge of the map. I got my money back, and one of them even survived. I wonder if I'll still get credit.

edit: no

worm girl fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pfft. I think that probably should be changed.