Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol yeah, I'm not sure why I put it that way or why I focused on that. I must have been in a mood

I guess what I meant is just that outside the opening narration, there's just not a lot of time spent on any of the "traditional atmospheric stuff" kinds of scenes like you had a lot of in the first film, only a few locations and a pretty small cast. Yeah there's plenty of context you absorb through visuals and dialogue but it's not like it's trying to take you on a tour of the world or something.

I wonder whose job it was to try to figure out how to do that rabbit-cam shot, where it chases a rabbit through the encampment at ground level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Minari (2020)

youn yuh-jung shows up 20 minutes in and says "excuse me while i act circles around everyone else in this movie"

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The Fall Guy is good. Extremely silly. I like a movie that is having fun and wants the audience to have fun too.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

WNUF Halloween Special- A surprisingly good movie that nails the feel of 80's local TV. It does a really good job of building tension and the dread atmosphere before the big finale, which is so good I won't even put it into spoilers.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Red Rocket: What a crazy movie. I've loved all the other Sean Baker films I've seen, and while this isn't Tangerine or Florida Project level it is quite good. I don't really know of any other filmmaker today who really shows folks on the margins like he does. I certainly don't want to say it isn't out there, but he is consistently humanizing folks that often are dismissed. Simon Rex is pretty great. What I love is that you can see why folks love him. It would be so easy for him to come off smarmy, or always scheming, and yet I believe him at the beginning that he means what he says, he only starts to scheme when things stabilize. I told my partner as we were watching this, that I can this movie being like a roller coaster, where you get the slow build up of his character, then the descent of everything catching up with him. And there's a drat roller coaster in the movie right around when he starts his descent! That said, I wish there was more context as to why June and Leondria 'betray' him. He's right, he never screwed them over, unlike everyone else.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Rolling Thunder (1977) Quentin Tarantino apparently loves this film, I didn't. It's probably a great film, but maybe I'm too millennial brained to connect with it, beyond the basic revenge angle.

Haute Tension (2003) As a slasher flick this seemed really well done, everything was well put together, the gore was good and there was tons of it. But if you're like me and slasher flicks and gore just kinda wash over you without any effect, this film probably won't do much for you. I really wanted to like it, and loved the build up, but I just didn't care about anything that happened or anyone it happened to.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Randalor posted:

WNUF Halloween Special- A surprisingly good movie that nails the feel of 80's local TV. It does a really good job of building tension and the dread atmosphere before the big finale, which is so good I won't even put it into spoilers.

The sequel, The Out-There Halloween Mega Tape, is worth checking out as well. This time it takes place in the 90s, centering around a disgruntled former daytime talkshow host who is now co-hosting a live investigation about aliens and UFO conspiracies. The fake commercials are better and not only does it tie into the first movie in various ways, but it builds on the experience of the first one by having you try to figure out how all of this is going to play out. I'd even say the finale has better payoff than the first one.

Too bad you can only get it via DVD from the director's website.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Man Who Would Be King is a rollicking good time, if a bit understandably white-man's-burden even for 1975. Fun to see a young Michael Caine, and even more fun to see Connery trying to play a naïve, inexperienced conman which he really doesn't inhabit very well.

Billy Fish is the best thing in it really, I love his every line. Well, also the locations/establishing shots of the various fortress/cities, particularly Sikandergul. If those are matte paintings I'm freshly in awe of the people who do those things.

(I also felt like Robert Jordan must have just finished watching this movie when he wrote most of Wheel of Time, even more so than Dune/Lawrence of Arabia)

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 6, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gavok posted:

Too bad you can only get it via DVD from the director's website.

I live in Canada and his website doesn't allow shipping to Canada. I've sent a message through the Contact page asking if there's a way to get it in Canada, fingers crossed they'll be willing to work with me. I want to give the director my money!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Silence (2016) nevermind all the other stuff going on in this film, just taking it as a historical period drama it's possibly the best ever produced?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Breetai posted:

Be prepared for the biggest single jump in quality between films in a series.

Seriously, MM1 is okay, largely from a historical perspective, but MM2 just absolutely nails the iconic formula.

Goddamn dude were you right about this.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981): Ok now THIS is Mad Max. My only complaint is they killed his sweet dog, but drat this movie had just enough plot and world building to keep me entertained and string me through those action set pieces.

Something I appreciated about the first one was the goofiness and playfulness of the background actors. It really adds so much texture and interest to the film. I’d say all the films are strong at adding flavor to the background actors.

Mad Max 3: Beyond the Thunderdome (1985): Wtf was this goonies poo poo. Ok so… I guess it’s some nice connective tissue between Road Warriors and Fury Road in terms of world building and set/costume design. And when they finally got to the car chase there were some cool stunts there… but goddamn it was so Looney Tunes! Part of the flavor of the first 2 was that it felt like any major character (aside from Max) could and would be sacrificed. Dogs die, babies die, hot lady warriors die… This felt like it pulled punches and the slapstick stuff with Ironbar was just not a mood I was here for.

The Tina Turner intro song was a bop tho.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Shooting: What an amazing movie. 1966 film and it is head and shoulders above stuff even today that is trying to dissect the western. My only critique is the very final piece of the ending, which is so fast and incoherent that it doesn't land. I get that they are trying to do, the actual payoff is meant to be a nothing, but it comes across as confused more than principled. Really cool to see a young Jack Nicholson though, and the deserts of Utah look so alien and inhospitable.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

watched happiness for the first time tonight.

jesus christ what an insane movie. it's actually really hilarious at times in such an unnerving way. i can't think of a single person in my offline life i could recommend this to, but the guy at the dvd rental place i got it from and one of the other customers who was there were both really excited when they saw i was getting it and were both like "oh boy" in a nervous laughter kind of way.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ShoogaSlim posted:

watched happiness for the first time tonight.

jesus christ what an insane movie. it's actually really hilarious at times in such an unnerving way. i can't think of a single person in my offline life i could recommend this to, but the guy at the dvd rental place i got it from and one of the other customers who was there were both really excited when they saw i was getting it and were both like "oh boy" in a nervous laughter kind of way.

When I was deployed we had VHS players and TVs in the tents to make a little dayroom type place. One of the guys went to our "video rental" place and got this movie. I have never not wanted to watch a movie with other people more than this one. I don't know who I would recommend this to, I don't want to watch it again holy poo poo.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A bar friend and I were talking about weird and hosed up movies and I recommended Happiness to him

I hadn’t watched my DVD copy in over 20 years so put it in that night to watch it again. I couldn’t make it through it, and texted him saying DO NOT WATCH THIS DUDE!

Cannot imagine sitting in a theater watching it

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What could be so bad about a movie?

*Checks plot summary for Happiness*

... WHAT THE gently caress?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Happiness is a masterpiece.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Watching Happiness and Kids back-to-back in a pain marathon

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Just watched Love Lies Bleeding, loved it. A taut, perfectly paced thriller with excellent performances across the board. Clint Mansell delivering another wonderful score. A really great time, it flew by. I need to watch Saint Maud at some point.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Happiness is an amazing movie and more people should be blindly recommended it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Amazing Spiderman Marc Webb
I went into this the first time hearing a lot bad about it and trying to go into with a positive attitude, I went into it this time thinking somewhat positively but still aware of the flaws. Both times I came around with a rating of 3.5/5 but this time felt much more skewing towards the low end and being saved by Garfield and Stone's chemistry and the good fights. The color grading, time it takes to get to the drat plot, the blandification of new york, and the entirety of the parents subplot are so terrible that it's hard to justify sitting through 2 plus hours of the film. I'd really have rather spent time watching Stone and Garfield conversing then half the other poo poo in the film. Still not a bad film, but one that is very hard to recommend to non Webheads.

Bubble Bath György Kovásznai
Exceptional film. Three neurotic Hungarians end up in a car crash of anxiety and emotion when an interior decorator gets cold feet on the eve of his wedding and crashes into his fiancee's friend's house to try and get her to cancel the wedding. Class, relationship, career, and child rearing anxieties all come sweeping into a gigantic earthquake that consumes the Bride, Groom, and the Friend. It's also one of the most, if not the most creatively animated and composed works I've ever seen, shifting from painting to live action to psychedelic in seconds. Check the trailer and then if it looks even a little cool go order it. Shout out Deaf Crocodile for making me aware of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10cOLm-iL5c

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Straight Story: Gotta go call my brother and buy a riding lawn mower now. In some ways it's a surprising film from Lynch, but it also follows the optimistic view of humanity he has in some films like The Elephant Man and the endings of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. Plus the depiction of the unique small town people is right out of some Twin Peaks characters. Loved the score also.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Lmao you fuckers I rented Happiness (1998) last night out of curiosity and just finished it now. Talk about a dark comedy. Admittedly I realized I was slightly spoiled due to recognizing Dylan Baker from Disclosure and remembering the We Hate Movies episode mentioning his role in this film. But uh I mean there are multiple parts where I laughed or cackled and multiple parts where I grabbed my face and slowly cried, “nooooooooo” or simply “gross.”

What a loving journey.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

checkplease posted:

The Straight Story: Gotta go call my brother and buy a riding lawn mower now. In some ways it's a surprising film from Lynch, but it also follows the optimistic view of humanity he has in some films like The Elephant Man and the endings of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. Plus the depiction of the unique small town people is right out of some Twin Peaks characters. Loved the score also.

Need to get me a grabber. For grabbin'.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Widows - I wanted to like this a lot more than I ended up doing so. A heist movie with a stacked cast should be tight up my alley but I think it had one too many subplots - much as I love Liam Neeson I think his could have been cut.

Viola Davis, Colin Farrell, Duvall and Neeson are obviously all great actors but the younger ones are all people I want to see in more films, Kaluuya and Debicki in particular do a lot in Widows with not a massive amount of screen time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Crocobile posted:

Lmao you fuckers I rented Happiness (1998) last night out of curiosity and just finished it now. Talk about a dark comedy. Admittedly I realized I was slightly spoiled due to recognizing Dylan Baker from Disclosure and remembering the We Hate Movies episode mentioning his role in this film. But uh I mean there are multiple parts where I laughed or cackled and multiple parts where I grabbed my face and slowly cried, “nooooooooo” or simply “gross.”

What a loving journey.

It's a loving crime that Dylan Baker doesn't get more recognition for that role. The scene with his son where he decides to be completely honest is one of the most brutal things I've ever watched.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"No, I'd jerk off" is one of the gnarliest laughs a movie's ever provoked from me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Baby Assassins 2: Yeah as long as they keep the central concept of these two actresses doing funny poo poo in their crappy apartment and then brutally murdering people in cool-as-hell action scenes I'm going watch every single one of these movies that Yugo Sakamoto pumps out. This isn't quite on the level of the first one in terms of stakes and energy but it makes up for it in sheer comedy and relaxed, entertaining character bits. Oh, and the ending was phenomenal.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I haven't seen Happiness. I am however familiar enough with Todd Solondz to have a rough idea what it's going to be like (admittedly the only movie of his I've seen is Welcome to the Dollhouse).

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i haven't seen welcome to the dollhouse but somehow i feel like it can't possibly accurately prepare you for happiness

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

THE GREEN RAY - This is like a spinoff of Planet Earth called Middle Class France, without narration. A woman listlessly holds a baguette. People sit around nursing a single glass of wine for hours discussing whatever the gently caress, in depth. Two old friends happen to meet by chance after several years of no contact; in the course of three minutes they agree that neither is very happy in life, and one offers the other the use of her family's Riviera condo for the remainder of the nationally mandated seven-month summer vacation. And it's a brilliantly affecting character study, with a satisfying and romantic third act. Recommended for those who haven't seen it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rohmer don't miss

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Spirited Away: Live on Stage: this is a recording of the stage production of the animated film Spirited Away. It's a fun watch and cool to see how they translate all of the movie elements to theatrical tools like a rotating set, stage hands, light effects and fun costumes. Honestly it all works pretty well. You definitely have to be familiar with the animated film though for it to make sense.

The girl who plays Sen was wonderfully charming. Kamaji, the spider guy, and other fan favorites like Daikon god and the talking heads all ham it up for the audience. Plus there's some more songs and a dancing No Face.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Civil War Alex Garland
The movies is as tepid as I expected storywise. I will give them credit for making firearms feel like firearms rather than pop guns. A24's effects wing really couldn't handle some of the poo poo they were trying to do especially once they get to DC. The plot was so rote that I was hoping they'd pull a Barry S2 at the end just to give me a single interesting bullet point.

That said, it was far and a way better than MEN. I didn't actively hate watching the film and lament my wasted dollars. I also gotta say it again, please give Dunst better roles! The scene with her in the dress was her best in the film and you can tell in it and in most of her other roles that she has the juice but these directors never let her cook.

The last thing is, and this is a concern that I didn't have going in, I absolutely hate the way that this movie looks. The way they use focus and the macro photography look god awful, that scene with them driving through the flaming forest with all the ashes falling around made me physically cringe although the terrible music choice through the whole film didn't help.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"No, I'd jerk off" is one of the gnarliest laughs a movie's ever provoked from me.

Followed closely by the last line of the movie "I've come!"

ETA: saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire. It was good, but still had the same problem as Afterlife where they had to shove in a reference every two seconds so you remember the older, better film.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Mean Streets (1973): this movie is so overwhelmingly *authentic* feeling. Like not a single person in this movie appears to be acting, especially De Niro who even at this age is just obviously a star. He is amazing in every single scene he's in, just incredible presence. Subtitles on, the accents are incredibly thick. There's sort of a sense of floating from vignette to vignette in the movie, the narrative is not exactly straightforward, but it really works with the way the movie follows Keitel around NYC. It's got a good balance of hilarious scenes and heavy drama too. Feels like a movie most people should watch at least once.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The People's Joker answers the question on all our minds. What happens if a YouTube poop was also a 90 minute, stirring queer coming of age movie?

It is really funny.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Seven Samurai: it has probably been more than 10 years since I have watched this in full. And I'm glad to see that as I've grown, this film is still fantastic.

A few things that stood out:
- I'd say 5 of the 7 samurai feel distinct, which I consider a success.

- There's a lot of focus on class between farmers and samurai. This is an aspect I think a lot of seven samurai inspired films leaves out. It's questionable if our leads are heroes as we learn that their samurai wars always come at the cost of the peasants. The samurai gain valor while the peasants lose their homes and farms. It's an interesting dynamic.

- the actual fighting is all pretty brutal, especially when the farmers finish off raiders. They either poke them to death with bamboo spears or slash them with farming tools.

-ending is still great. Bandits are defeated and the farmers just kind of move on from the samurai.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Wittgen posted:

The People's Joker answers the question on all our minds. What happens if a YouTube poop was also a 90 minute, stirring queer coming of age movie?

It is really funny.

I can't wait til this comes out in a form I can watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Obvious Child (2014)
A fantastic film that I can’t believe doesn’t get talked about more often. I remember hearing about it when it came out — the Jenny Slate movie about abortion. I heard good things but then it seemed to completely disappear from the zeitgeist. Despite the subject matter, it still manages to be a pretty cute indie romcom. Great performances from everyone. I was especially pleased to see Jake Lacy playing the exact opposite of his character on White Lotus. Plus there was surprise Richard Kind and David Cross. I feel like no one makes these kinds of indie dramedies anymore (understandably, as it is a difficult genre to pull off right). It is very millennial, and it is very earnest.