Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I used to have a bunch of Footrot Flats books when I was a kid. There's another rural kiwi comic close to my heart, though:

Slightly psychedelic happenings in the New Zealand bush featuring a very lonely woodsman and a bunch of pot smoking hedgehogs. My parents had a phone book sized best of collection.

Check it out, it has a bit on Te Ara, the New Zealand encyclopedia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I am HERE for extremely dry mid-century kiwi descriptions of comics

e: okay then
In this strip, Nagamasu has modified the traditional monk's garb with a rad Fieriesque flame motif and blossom-patterned brocade. His solemn "I shall become a simple monk" is at odds with his outfit and intentions.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 12:06 on May 6, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Regrettably, that is the only one I could find.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

lol, Asa continuing her ability to inflict massive psychic damage on adults.

Also I just realised that when Makio staggered from the question she smacked her hip on the doorhandle.

Laid low by teen prying

Tree Bucket posted:

In other weird art nerd news, I got like actually paid to draw the, uhh, unofficial unit insignia for an Australian defence force unit guarding a UN compound in a particularly unhappy corner of the world. It blows my tiny little brain that deciding to post a thing in the pyf comics thread led to a win in the local art competition which led to people on the other side of the planet using my scribbles tangentially in Operation Ease Up On The Genocide There Champ. Madness.

Badass

Different Country Diary

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Wow Treebucket, congratulations! I think I speak for everybody when I say that we would love to see a picture, but we understand if it's under an NDA or classified or whatever else.

Axolotl is great

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

haha thanks ya'll. it's funny the things i'll worry about when drawing something cartoony and then worry about if it is at odds with reality. like i googled AFTER the fact "can axolotls breathe air" because I was pretty sure they could but not 100% due to their weird feathery gills thing they got going on. i'd be scandalized if i drew axolotl in a non-watery environment if he couldn't actually breathe air, but depicting him as bipedal? totally fine real axolotls do that poo poo allllllll the TIME!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I posted these in the comic book art thread in BBS, but I think they belong here too. Too bad it's been published in English. When I found it in the library, I was hoping I could scanlate and post the whole thing.

Inside The Mind of Sherlock Holmes

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm still alive, but under a Sisyphean schedule that brooks no rest. Beank and Rosa will resume someday!

In the meantime, here's a lil' comic about opossums being adorable.

The Night Shift

Words by Marilyn-Anne Campbell ( https://mstdn.ca/@MarilynC ) and art from Ashley Dadoun ( https://www.instagram.com/ashdune/ )!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

EXCELLENT thanks for the possums. thread needs more cute stuff now and then with all the dramas and so much the violence.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

SimonChris posted:

Woah those page layouts go crazy :stare:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Me & You

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The bar trivia arc of Me & You is the best. Anyone who hasn't been reading along, I recommend jumping back one and a half of Digamma-F-Wau's updates, to where a TV show called "The Freaks" starts.

Me & You drifts into entirely new stories in a kinda stream-of-consciousness way, so you're not missing any background.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Squidster posted:

The Night Shift

This was great!

(also anyone from Toronto always gets a pop from seeing local sights in media, even the grotesque Michael Lee-Chin Crystal (see page 4) which I live close to and hate with a deep passion)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

e: okay then
In this strip, Nagamasu has modified the traditional monk's garb with a rad Fieriesque flame motif and blossom-patterned brocade. His solemn "I shall become a simple monk" is at odds with his outfit and intentions.

He really can't help himself.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 78: Black and Green Me

Master's admonitions are mixed with praise today.

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 40: The Smoke, the Crystal and the Courier part 2

Author status: still horny for armour and thighs.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

the contrast between scratchy sketchy characters panel after panel followed immediately by lovingly crafted thicc leotard gals did make me laugh out loud haha

anyway more spiderpup. it's very therapeutic drawing this little bean. having a great time and also learning Animal Facts when i go reading up on their behaviors and tendencies when i need inspiration for poses etc.

i read that jumping spiders don't make proper webs, but often will web up the underside of a leaf for shelter. kinda like staking down a tent and anchoring it to the ground for a temporary resting place.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Squidster posted:

In the meantime, here's a lil' comic about opossums being adorable.
Something I can tell almost nobody is that I never really cared for opossums until I read the Clementine webcomic where she is depicted as going :v: almost all the time. Then I came to love opossums when watching a YouTuber hang out with one at their animal rescue (you probably know who I'm talking about) and they literally just :v: all the time. They're so silly!

Anyway, this comic was cute. :v:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Cross posting this request. I used to frequent this thread, so hopefully this is where I originally saw it. I can vividly see it in my mind's eye but can't find the right Google term.

Found it. Figured I'd share.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

short comic that popped into my head and i had to get it out. enjoy. probably will slow down on the thread spamming for now haha.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Not sure if Remy can manage to be madder about the deal with the devil than he was about the ship/jamis theft

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 04:09 on May 7, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Last night I had a dream about editing Rembrandt's The Night Watch to be about Tiger Tiger characters. Now we enter the fun stage of seeing if this is a "rapid burst of failed enthusiasm" project or a "do half an hour of work every two weeks for a year" project

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

cw: kids being mistreated

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

eurgh, that's a tough one. see this is why i draw what i draw lol.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

short comic that popped into my head and i had to get it out. enjoy. probably will slow down on the thread spamming for now haha.

Oh! My heart!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

eurgh, that's a tough one. see this is why i draw what i draw lol.

Yeah I felt a little bad following up your comic with that one, haha

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SimonChris posted:

I posted these in the comic book art thread in BBS, but I think they belong here too. Too bad it's been published in English. When I found it in the library, I was hoping I could scanlate and post the whole thing.

what's the solution here

is it just the big ones in the middle

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Cute! Snail shell still backwards tho

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Grumio posted:

Cute! Snail shell still backwards tho

Actual snail shells are the ones that are backwards, imo

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

im a snail failure

a snailure

:negative:

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actual snail shells are the ones that are backwards, imo

Snails actually did first evolve coiling forwards, but at some point early on, switched to backwards. Except rather than switching the direction of coiling, they just rotated the shell 180 degrees. To this day little baby snail larvae go through this as part of their development.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

googling any famous cartoon snails i can to see if any professionals hosed it all up like i did.

so far im in company with toby fox and that's about it lol.

my secret is i dont even think about it while drawing, i just make a squiggle and move on.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Rainbow in the Dark

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Rough happenings in today's Souboutei. I reckon it should probably be destroyed.

Tree Bucket posted:

Last night I had a dream about editing Rembrandt's The Night Watch to be about Tiger Tiger characters. Now we enter the fun stage of seeing if this is a "rapid burst of failed enthusiasm" project or a "do half an hour of work every two weeks for a year" project

Dreams are messages from the deep.

Speaking of which,

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 49: Sleepwalking

In the dream, you don't know it's a dream. In the middle of the dream, you may interpret a dream within it. Only after waking do you know it was a dream. Still, there may be an even greater awakening after which you know that this, too, was just a greater dream. But the stupid ones think they are awake and confidently claim to know it. Are they rulers? Are they herdsmen? Really?! Kongzi and you are both dreaming. And in saying you are dreaming, I am dreaming, too. These words might be called a puzzle. But if after ten thousand generations we encounter a single sage who knows the solution, it would be no different from what we encounter every morning and evening.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You're innocent when you dream.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

Rough happenings in today's Souboutei. I reckon it should probably be destroyed.

Dreams are messages from the deep.

Speaking of which,

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 49: Sleepwalking

In the dream, you don't know it's a dream. In the middle of the dream, you may interpret a dream within it. Only after waking do you know it was a dream. Still, there may be an even greater awakening after which you know that this, too, was just a greater dream. But the stupid ones think they are awake and confidently claim to know it. Are they rulers? Are they herdsmen? Really?! Kongzi and you are both dreaming. And in saying you are dreaming, I am dreaming, too. These words might be called a puzzle. But if after ten thousand generations we encounter a single sage who knows the solution, it would be no different from what we encounter every morning and evening.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Different Country Diary

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
God I love this friend group, their chat is amazing :allears:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 78: Black and Green Me

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 40: The Smoke, the Crystal and the Courier part 2

Butts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gregorius Yamada comix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Pretty sure he thinks a lot about thighs too :v