Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

JBP posted:

Go home and get your fat man.

New to fallout, was exploring in straight lines outwards. Looked up a difficulty map and it’s basically a radial increase in difficulty from the starting point lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, I need find ballistic fiber for the suit, was only able to craft the helmet.

there's a bunch of little bits of it in the brotherhood forward camps in the bog, and at the brotherhood section inside Fort Defiance

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kaddish posted:

I did both Raider and Settler quests up until the "Siding" quest. Anything else I should do before choosing one?

Settlers are somewhat boring, but Raiders are colossal douchelords, so I picked based on that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

New to fallout, was exploring in straight lines outwards. Looked up a difficulty map and it’s basically a radial increase in difficulty from the starting point lol

there is actually a fatman + at least one mini nuke for it almost within sight of Sanctuary, just laying out in the open unguarded
https://www.quora.com/Can-you-get-a-Fat-Man-at-level-1-in-Fallout-4

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

A helpful warning then: if you have the Automatron DLC installed (comes with GOTY) do not follow the “caravan distress call” or go to where it asks for help until you’re feeling confident about handling tough enemies. Starting that DLC makes many random encounters in the overworld harder (replaces them with new tougher enemies).

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Kaddish posted:

He sure does. You have to ask him. I think it's on a one hour cooldown, possibly longer. He'll repair your armor up to 130%!

Nice! I'll have to do that next time.

Otacon posted:

I forget if you're PC or console, but if you're PC I've got serums for you! Stop by the Discord

I am on the Discord, but I'm on console. Alas.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arivia posted:

A helpful warning then: if you have the Automatron DLC installed (comes with GOTY) do not follow the “caravan distress call” or go to where it asks for help until you’re feeling confident about handling tough enemies. Starting that DLC makes many random encounters in the overworld harder (replaces them with new tougher enemies).

Don’t have the dlc, maybe I’ll get it on sale later after I do most of this game. Thanks for the heads up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Don’t have the dlc, maybe I’ll get it on sale later after I do most of this game. Thanks for the heads up

No worries, none of them are absolutely essential while you're making your way through the base game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been trying to wear other suits of power armor besides by X-01, but none really compare. I figured the hellcat would be decent, but nope. The ultracite only seems as good. I should scrounge up a t-60 or t-51 suit and see how they go.

Buying the core recharging was worth 6bux, i was able to get rid of about 20 fusion cores I had in my stash. Only kept the full ones and some to recharge.

I have an insane amount of resources, but I don't want to get rid of too much, becuase what if i need it? I'll always need acid and plastic and a lead and a few others, but i have 30 bulk ballistic fiber. The more common stuff i bulk up and sell, don't need that much steel or wood or rubber.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Yeah, I need find ballistic fiber for the suit, was only able to craft the helmet.

The stealth suit is nice and all, but don't get too hung up on it.
The +18 AGI from 6 pieces of Unyielding armor will turn you into ghost dog ninja on top of every other benefit.
Don't even need to equip any Sneak cards.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Paying2Lurk posted:

Nice! I'll have to do that next time.

I am on the Discord, but I'm on console. Alas.

Rats! I sold about 50 serums this weekend in my vendor for 350 caps each. They show up in vendors on your map marked under "Misc" - hope this helps you find some cheap!

sauer kraut posted:

The stealth suit is nice and all, but don't get too hung up on it.
The +18 AGI from 6 pieces of Unyielding armor will turn you into ghost dog ninja on top of every other benefit.
Don't even need to equip any Sneak cards.

I find the Chinese Stealth Armor is absolutely necessary for my Unyielding build. I hotkey it (= key) and it's saved my bacon countless times. Heading to the SBQ and spawn inside the nuke zone? Mash "=" and live. Doing Eviction Notice and hear the rad scrubber crumble? Mash "=" and live. Falling from heights that will surely kill you? Mash "=" and live.

You don't need the headwear, just the suit.

Worst part is having to reequip underarmor and armor after you're safe.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kaddish posted:

If anyone is really hurting leveling, I recommend throwing down the dosh for Cold Shoulder

To clarify do you mean the "Cold Shoulder Starter Bundle" that costs 1000? I have just enough for this after getting a few other things so I might grab it if so.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

To clarify do you mean the "Cold Shoulder Starter Bundle" that costs 1000? I have just enough for this after getting a few other things so I might grab it if so.

Yeah, you get the coffee maker as well, pretty handy.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
In 76, does Power User reduce core spent on VATS as well? Want to run Plasma Caster with PA.

Finished the Atlantic City quest line yesterday. The writing and quests were so so bad. Then did Beckett's quest on a new character and the quest bugged out at the end decision. Had to run the final mission over again.

Bethesda :allears:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It does yes

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm doing the DLC for Fallout 4, I never had any of it when I last played the game.

Vault 88 is disappointing. The core concept is pretty cool: Build my own authentic-looking vault! But I've quickly run into lots of frustration with the vault building pieces. The order you put them down in seems to matter a lot, as otherwise they simply won't snap correctly, so I'm sometimes forced to tear out a floor or wall just so I can correctly fit an adjoining piece to something else, then have to make the part I removed somehow fit again (which often involves pixel/perspective-perfect accuracy or otherwise the game engine doesn't understand the alignment). It's a hot mess.

Like... I spent hours yesterday trying to put together a decent-looking atrium with a stairwell and some upper floor walkways plus an overseer window and it sucked making that work right. I'm dreading the idea of actually making the overseer's office itself or any other specialized rooms. And the few settlers I have right now are already showing major pathfinding issues. This could've been such a cool thing but it feels very unfinished. Maybe if it had way more large prefab pieces that I could easily throw together?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah that is what I think is really missing from it, a couple of generic foundation prefabs that nudge you in the right direction to avoid that kind of poo poo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

twistedmentat posted:

I've been trying to wear other suits of power armor besides by X-01, but none really compare. I figured the hellcat would be decent, but nope. The ultracite only seems as good. I should scrounge up a t-60 or t-51 suit and see how they go.

Buying the core recharging was worth 6bux, i was able to get rid of about 20 fusion cores I had in my stash. Only kept the full ones and some to recharge.

I have an insane amount of resources, but I don't want to get rid of too much, becuase what if i need it? I'll always need acid and plastic and a lead and a few others, but i have 30 bulk ballistic fiber. The more common stuff i bulk up and sell, don't need that much steel or wood or rubber.

Once it becomes available again the Union armor is amazing because it has built-in poison resist which is the bane of most power armor sets.

explosivo posted:

You can get just the cold shoulder crafting plan by itself for 700 if you already have the coffee maker (or don't want it).

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Speaking of Fallout 4 DLC, it’s kind of bizarre how good everything in Far Harbour is compared to the base game and the other DLC. The writing in particular is excellent which is something I can’t really say for other Bethesda titles. Coupled with the overall atmosphere, I’d argue the DLC is almost on par with New Vegas.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just finished FO4 for the first time and the finale was pretty meh. Didn't have a lot of oomph. Kinda felt like the end of the 2nd act of a 3 act game. Really enjoyed my time overall though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah it's one of the most Bethesda titles that Bethesda has ever published, start the game and really just run away from anything to do with the main quest and you'll have a pretty good time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

These tadpole challenges in 76 seem like kind of a pain, I just want this backpack :(

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

These tadpole challenges in 76 seem like kind of a pain, I just want this backpack :(

If you think those are bad, wait until you try the possum ones (don't try the possum ones).

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Tadpole is a rite of passage it this point :3:
Possum is really not worth it, it's just a new skin and some clothing items.
You want to use the -90% medical items weight from Raiders, mayyybe -90% food items weight from Settlers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

PSA: if you change your mind about a given legendary perk, you can just unslot it for 1 perk coin and replace it with any other at no cost, the only loss would be if you had ranked it up (even then you might put it back later)
I had thought you had to pay 50 to buy a replacement legendary perk but nope!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Earlier I came to the river in the downtown

I saw a ground level bridge to cross

But then up in the sky is a massive big boy freeway overpass. I didn’t want to cross the river in a baby bridge, I want to march in through the sky like Odin riding Sleiphnir over the bifrost. So I start looking for a way into the freeway overpass. There’s a skyscraper with a rickety wooden plank connecting it to the overpass. Great!

Come to find out that it’s crawling with super mutants. I blast my way in like John Wick, crawl up the levels. As I’m ascending more and more of the walls and floors are missing so there’s less cover until finally near the top it’s just steel girders to hide behind. Realized the sound of the wind has picked up now that there are no exterior walls. Beat the chief at the top and get a moment to take in the view. The city is humongous and jam packed with buildings and fog before the crack of dawn. The wind is howling.

Great dungeon experience.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I wish you had like 20% more resources for your camp in 76. Even 10% more would allow for all the various rugs I need to tie my different rooms together. I'll probably end up removing my crops and reducing the number of turrets I have, the crops are an affection anyway, and then I can find a place with wild crops and make a farm camp in another slot.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Meanwhile I just have all my crafting benches scattered about and a few fences up. Keep saying I'll set some time aside to build a proper camp, but eh, I'd rather be killing stuff.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

I wish you had like 20% more resources for your camp in 76. Even 10% more would allow for all the various rugs I need to tie my different rooms together. I'll probably end up removing my crops and reducing the number of turrets I have, the crops are an affection anyway, and then I can find a place with wild crops and make a farm camp in another slot.

Turrets are a hilarious blight on your limited camp budget. Each Turret (depending specifically on the weapon attached) uses between 10-15 budget. For reference, most floor decor use just 1, and plants and most lights use just 2.

Regardless I agree! My main camp has been at max budget forever and I'm tired of deleting things to make room for new stuff.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 6, 2024

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Otacon posted:

Turrets are a hilarious blight on your limited camp budget. Each Turret (depending specifically on the weapon attached) uses between 10-15 budget.

Good lord. Gotta find the exact vectors of attack around the mansion then, so I can afford more rugs.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Tadpole is a rite of passage it this point :3:
Possum is really not worth it, it's just a new skin and some clothing items.
You want to use the -90% medical items weight from Raiders, mayyybe -90% food items weight from Settlers.

I got the grocers mod so i can carry literally over a hundred nuka colas of all varieties instead of other meds like radx and radaway using cola nut. It's been amazing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got the mod stuff working, I didn't realize that the custom ini had to have everything else in addition to the line with the new ba2 files. The FastUI/FastPIP is nice, nothing too crazy but being able to see all the tabs at once makes it a lot easier to navigate around the menu.

Also picked up the cold shoulder and got it crafted and yeah that thing slaps, thanks for the recommendation!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

is there an easy way to use betterinventory with fastpip/fastui? without the injector? it crashes every time i switch to items when i use all three.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I am, works fine for me with just a manual install:

high_resolution_texture_pack_01.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_02.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_03.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_04.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_05.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_06.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_07.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_08.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_09.ba2, high_resolution_texture_pack_10.ba2, BetterInventory.ba2, Glow.ba2, MoreAnimations.ba2, FastUi.ba2, FastPip.ba2

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i had to get a different betterinventory.ba2 that was in the posts on nexus for it to stop crashing.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If I remove a legendary perk will I lose the rank?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arivia posted:

The first radiant quest I got from the brotherhood at like level 6 (I beelined it to get old mate's laser gun) was in far harbour lol.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got bored in 76 of having the same kinda compound as everyone else so...

CHAIR WORLD

Why did I want to make a lovely furniture store?
I have a terrible sickness.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Finally got the alien disintegrator plan to drop and it got me to try rifleman out again. I rolled an I/AP/FR and it's great for everything outside of events, which I'll use an Exe/FFR/25 for. Just walk into a room and 1 or two shot everything in VATS except bosses. Then I hit the jackpot and found someone selling a AA/50CD/1P Gauss Rifle for 1500 caps. I'm having fun swapping between my instigating disintegrator and AA Gauss to delete chunky enemies, or if it's a boss get them in range for executioners.

1900 damage on a full health build, what a deal lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Kaddish posted:

If I remove a legendary perk will I lose the rank?

Nope it's all good.