Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Did they get rid of the butcher? I’m level 71 and haven’t seen him once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

Did they get rid of the butcher? I’m level 71 and haven’t seen him once.

no, I saw him when I was playing last week in WT4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wrex Ruckus posted:

no, I saw him when I was playing last week in WT4

Ok! I’m just unlucky so far then!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
It does feel like you go long stints without seeing the Butcher or Son of Malphas, but then they'll show up like 5 times in a row. Random gonna random, but it seems like once you can beat them easily they stop showing up for a bit until you push into higher tier NMDs / Vaults.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok! I’m just unlucky so far then!

I've been unlucky this season too! He hasnt appeared at all for me in season 3.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paying2Lurk posted:

It does feel like you go long stints without seeing the Butcher or Son of Malphas, but then they'll show up like 5 times in a row. Random gonna random, but it seems like once you can beat them easily they stop showing up for a bit until you push into higher tier NMDs / Vaults.

Yeah I’ve seen I think 3 sons so far the first one caught me off guard because I thought I had triggered something.

I said come in! posted:

:hf:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

As someone in this thread so eloquently put it - "Malhpas's Large Adult Sons"

That was actually a lot of fun - I had to keep moving around to find more packs of enemies to kill to generate more corpses to keep the Bone Spears flying at Malphas's Large Adult Sons. I gained at least two levels from just that encounter because it took so long to chew through their walls of HP.

I think what happened was that I got a Large Adult Son of Malphas at level 60, then shortly thereafter hit 61 which I guess refreshes the chance of him dropping in and... he did.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Last time I played necromancer, focusing on overpower was a viable strategy for hitting hard with blood based build. Is that still the case? Thinking of going necro this season.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

I said come in! posted:

same. i've been doing vaults to get my glyphs capped and i see a son about every third vault. i'm glad i got all the drops from butcher already, what a dry spell

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Ersatz posted:

Last time I played necromancer, focusing on overpower was a viable strategy for hitting hard with blood based build. Is that still the case? Thinking of going necro this season.

they're being debated in S4 from what i can tell because there are fewer ways to guarantee them iirc. that's what i remember a recap video from one of the maxroll guide guys saying. i don't have any firsthand experience with the PTR though

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I’m going to miss the vaults. I realize they aren’t to everyone’s taste, but I vastly prefer them to normal NMDs for speed and convenience.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
What's the deal with the Malphas mobs? I haven't played this season.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

harrygomm posted:

they're being debated in S4 from what i can tell because there are fewer ways to guarantee them iirc. that's what i remember a recap video from one of the maxroll guide guys saying. i don't have any firsthand experience with the PTR though
Blood Lance gets a guaranteed overpower via a skill, if I remember correctly? So that specific thing should still work. I'm not sure about the other blood skills.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Blood Lance gets a guaranteed overpower via a skill, if I remember correctly? So that specific thing should still work. I'm not sure about the other blood skills.
I was running blood surge before as part of an infinimist set up (mist in to packs, aoe surge, then clean up with auto corpse explosion triggered by mist) and surge similarly guarantees overpower after a specific number of casts.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 6, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Aexo posted:

What's the deal with the Malphas mobs? I haven't played this season.

i don't think we know why they look like that. they serve as a The Butcher surprise mob for the vaults. they are the sons of the seasonal boss i guess

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

i am woefully underprepared to talk about necro other than quoting other people. maybe this is the season

i'll say S3 is going out on a sour note for me, more than it would. i farmed up a full inventory of whispers caches and got 9 total summon mats from all 33 caches. so there goes any big farming ideas

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
When I made my first character last year, I was attacked in the first dungeon, the tutorial I guess, by the butcher. I immediately died of course. I had assumed that was scripted to always happen. But I haven't heard anyone else mention that happening. Did I get incredibly unlucky?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
yeah. i got attacked like that on the pre release event my first time through the game but my partner did not. lucky, unlucky, who can say

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I'll miss the Vault of Stone. Fast xp for everything and I can run it in my sleep.

I killed Duriel at level 94 so now I just need to get one more challenge done for the Seasonal Journey.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lmao bitching works my first nightmare vault of the day and I get the butcher.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Butcher is true RNG especially if you are on a second character and skip the campaign to immediately go open world. Dude has no problem kicking the door open on a sub 10 character(even sub 20 or 30 is rough and pretty low build power) and tearing you in half.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Lost a few HC characters to the Butcher for sure. At least it was quick!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I knew my Barb was good when I could handle the Butcher on NMDs 30 levels higher than me. My Ice Shard Sorceress was fun as hell and could run the same level of NMDs but definitely could not handle even a same-level Butcher.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Excited to try Minion necro if it is indeed good

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I believe the Butcher has a boosted chance to appear in the first few Dungeons you run on a new Character.

Including Hardcore.

All ~8 characters I've played have seen a Butcher within the first three dungeons

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

queeb posted:

Excited to try Minion necro if it is indeed good

From the ptr players : they are OP. They inherit 100% of your stats now. They are “you”. So 9 minions is a 900% damage increase (not calculating mechanical deceases due to the AI)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ersatz posted:

Blood lance will be in a worse place than season 3 because the Dominate glyph and Banished Lord's Talisman are getting nerfed

Dominate Glyph
Bonus Overpower Damage per 5 Willpower reduced from 39.9% to 14.9% at Glyph level 21.

Banished Lord's Talisman
- Updated visuals and sounds to indicate that your next Core Skill will Overpower.
- Critical Strike Overpower damage reduced from 80-120% to 20-60%.
- Resources needed for guaranteed Overpower reduced from 300 to 275.

Blood Surge + minions + the unique that makes your minions echo your Blood Surges will be better than S3, because minions are buffed (everything else about the build stays the same)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I heard folks talking about bone mages who can bone spear real good. That should be fun. I also saw people talking about infinimist being better this season but I did that for a bit and found it real boring.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaysette posted:

I heard folks talking about bone mages who can bone spear real good. That should be fun. I also saw people talking about infinimist being better this season but I did that for a bit and found it real boring.

I’m doing the bone spear thing this season and while it’s fun I am definitely going minions next season purely for survival.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kaysette posted:

Actually what I should have said in my post is that Blood Lance will be in a better place than last season because even with the nerfs you can just have a bunch of skellies following you around doing tons of damage, but then that's just a bad minion build

Bone Spear minions, on the other hand, is a legit build

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm doing a druid werewolf bro build I don't care how long it takes

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
blood mist might be fun if for no other reason that instead of a speed malus they've changed it to a speed boost

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Corpse tendrils is apparently huge now? Robb has l lazy necromancer build up that was easily clearing 200 pit and the corpse tendrils were pulling like a screen and a half to either side

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I still don’t believe they made minion Necro a powerhouse but god dammit I have to try

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

queeb posted:

Corpse tendrils is apparently huge now? Robb has l lazy necromancer build up that was easily clearing 200 pit and the corpse tendrils were pulling like a screen and a half to either side
The post-PTR update limited size increases to +100%, so it probably can't be that big anymore, but yeah.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

harrygomm posted:

blood mist might be fun if for no other reason that instead of a speed malus they've changed it to a speed boost
Exactly. I’ve been spoiled now by running a telestomp sorceress. I have a need for speed.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

harrygomm posted:

It's normal speed by default, there's an aspect to make it go faster (the aspect that used to make it normal speed)

e:

quote:

Blood Mist

Removed the movement speed reduction.

Blood-soaked Aspect

Previous - Your movement speed is no longer reduced while Blood Mist is active.
Now - While in Blood Mist form, increases movement speed by 20%.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
one day i'll bother to look poo poo up before i post it, but it wasn't today. thank you.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Little bummed that there's no big seasonal gimmick but all the core updates in this patch look great so I'm looking forward to trying.

Hopefully the Pit is compelling enough of an addition that it feels like a new seasonal thing. It sounds like they basically transplanted D3 rifts directly? I snoozed out on S3 when it launched buggy, apparently I screwed up by playing a barb in S2 and missing out on cracked OP Charge Barbarian. Don't want to make another Barb so trying out a Necro seems like fun, sounds like minions will be good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Tarnop posted:

It's normal speed by default, there's an aspect to make it go faster (the aspect that used to make it normal speed)

e:

Oh that’s nice, will definitely feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

As far as I can see, the differences between Greater Rifts and The Pit are:

- no progress orbs to collect
- a portal to a boss arena opens rather than the boss spawning in the map you're in

So they're pretty much identical

There's also the question of entry cost which is currently up in the air since the cost was apparently lowered for the PTR as well as the key items dropping more frequently. We don't know what the ratio of Pit to non-Pit content looks like when you're trying to sustain