Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

boofhead posted:

I think the most egregious is when they use letters and just expect you to memorise that poo poo like it's a test for high school, especially when half of the info dump is absolutely irrelevant

My (19f) boyfriend (19m) L's best friend S (18f) has two sisters K (22f) and M (23f). K is in college and has a boyfriend P (25m). The other day K, M and P were at S's house with L, and he invited me over as well. It's 14km from my house to S's house, if I normally travel at 5km/h but there's a 20km/h headwind and the house is travelling at a 30 degree angle from me at 2km/h, how many apples should I bring for the trip, assuming I eat 1.5 apples every 4 minutes?
Can't speak for anyone else, but for me the problem with initials is that they're just illegible. I can remember who K and M and P are, but my eyes just slide off any story about how they went somewhere and did a thing. I think there's something innate about this, like how people can usually understand scrambled English letters perfectly if the fisrt and lsat lttres are the smae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Desert Bus posted:

It's amazing to me how people will refuse to go NC with awful people cause "family!"

I haven't talked to my father in something like 10 years and that was the best mental health improving decision I've ever made. Just cause we share genetics don't mean I'm OK with being randomly abused.

Your real family is the one you make. Assemble it piece by piece with people who love and respect you.

I've been no contact with my family for twelve years now and I rarely mention it unless absolutely necessary because there are those people out there that simply cannot comprehend such a decision. "You can't just not talk to your mother. She's your mother. She gave birth to you, etc, etc" So I understand the reluctance to completely cut someone off, especially when you have kids and there's the added bonus of "You can't just deny your children their grandparents"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I spent a ton of time helping 2 employees who hate each other … now they’re dating

quote:

Over the last few months, one of my people (Alice) has repeatedly come to me about conflict with a neighboring department’s person (Mary). Both are at the same fairly junior level — they’re a few years out of school. The conflict has always seemed odd, and fairly amorphous, but both Alice and Mary have been very upset, including claims of bullying and issues with sharing of materials.

I observed their interactions, and they seemed somewhere between tense and rude. I coached Alice on professional behavior in the workplace, and Mary’s manager did the same with Mary.

Mary’s manager and I spent a lot of energy trying to figure out what was happening, and if one of the two of these people was the aggressor. Part of the problem has always been how little reason there seemed to be for this disagreement — nothing that happened seemed to justify the outsized anger at each other. For example, Mary once told me that she could not be in the same room with Alice without blacking out with overwhelming fury.

HR got involved, as did the union, and I have talked with more union reps and HR members in the last few months than I had in the preceding several years. This affected office morale enough that Mary’s manager and I have had conversations with the union about the path towards firing both of them, despite the fact that both are very high performers.

This week Alice came into my office and happily told me that it had been solved: she and Mary have made up and have begun dating. This comes after a long week last week of complaints about Mary’s behavior, and a further escalation up the ranks in HR.

I am furious. I don’t consider myself a person who gets angry easily, but I am there now. I coached these young women through a workplace conflict in good faith, and it turns out this was just some highschool pigtail pulling? I genuinely trusted Alice, and (while keeping open eyes about her faults) have taken the point of view that it is my job to protect my people.

I have not said anything, and I don’t know what I want to say. I certainly won’t address it until I can think this through with a level head, and maybe I should just be glad everything is over and let this go. Any advice?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Desert Bus posted:

It's amazing to me how people will refuse to go NC with awful people cause "family!"

I haven't talked to my father in something like 10 years and that was the best mental health improving decision I've ever made. Just cause we share genetics don't mean I'm OK with being randomly abused.

Your real family is the one you make. Assemble it piece by piece with people who love and respect you.

Yeah in a lot of cultures and families, they're taught that family is everything. You're not even fully an individual, you're just a cell in the family-body organism and without being apart of that greater whole, you have about as much value and place in society as a discarded skin cell. Those types of people just can't imagine not being part of a big extended bloody-family unit, no matter how toxic or abusive that relationship is. So they stay, they never go NC to protect themselves, and they eternally make rationalizations and justify remaining in these miserable relationships.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Dad raises his son with "tough love" so he'd be an hard-as-nails goal-focused independent go-getter, let's see how that worked.

My son despises me

quote:

For the longest time that I can remember, I raised my son on tough love. I only have one child so I wanted to make sure he knew how to take care of himself in the chance that me or his mother were not around anymore. It was the only parenting style that people I had grown up with knew because of the struggles people my age faced as kids. Parents were both busy or working that they didn't have time to spend all their time with their kids or be heavily involved. I took that as my experience as to how to raise kids. Me and my wife raised our son to be ready to be an adult from a young age because we were afraid he would make the same mistakes we did or become gullible and impressionable.

My son would show up with bad grades and I told him he needed to do better as the world is tough because it is and he hadn't truly experienced it yet. I would tell him to focus on his studies rather than goof off with his friends on weekends and during the summer I would drop him off to coaching for subjects he needed to get stronger on. My parents never had all the money in the world to take us on vacations and I didn't either so I wanted to set him up to succeed. Every dollar I would make was used to keeping a roof over our heads and making sure we never went hungry. While my son was young he would often ask why we never went anywhere or would eat out. I told him that it was because if spend all our money wastefully, we'd be living paycheck to paycheck.

I noticed the biggest difference when he went to college, I told him he will have to pay for his things or take out loans because that is how everyone goes about college in the US. While he was in college I noticed how independent he was. There were very few things he needed help with. Me and my wife felt like we had succeeded in raising our son.

After college he came back and I started noticing a huge difference is behavior towards me. He talked to his mom the same way but he became very cold and resentful towards me. There would be times where he would call me out on my mistakes and I thought they were uncalled for. I told him recently I wasn't feeling well and he completely dismissed and told me I needed to stop complaining. Him disregarding my health was the first time I thought that I did not succeed because the relationship between me and him is broken. He cares for his mom the same way he did back then but not for me.

I told him about how I felt and even then he said he could care less about our relationship and he has more important things to handle regarding work and his future. I feel awful because he said "I don't have to care because I don't really see you as a father, you should be used to this." At this point I don't know what to say because he's finally doing well in life but I don't matter to him anymore.
Just think of how much more room your son has to focus on becoming a winner in life now that you've trained him to discard such frivolities as "giving a poo poo about my dad's health" and "wasting time even pretending to care about my dad's feelings". Good work, dad, huge success!

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 6, 2024

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

I spent a ton of time helping 2 employees who hate each other … now they’re dating

Any advice? No. I came here to say "lol"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FMguru posted:

Dad raises his son with "tough love" so he'd be an hard-as-nails goal-focused independent go-getter, let's see how that worked.

My son despises me

Was the boy named Sue?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've been no contact with my family for twelve years now and I rarely mention it unless absolutely necessary because there are those people out there that simply cannot comprehend such a decision. "You can't just not talk to your mother. She's your mother. She gave birth to you, etc, etc" So I understand the reluctance to completely cut someone off, especially when you have kids and there's the added bonus of "You can't just deny your children their grandparents"

Them: "You should try to reconnect!"

Me: *cracks my neck causing horrifying sounds*

Me: "The guy who strangled me and hosed up my neck? Hard pass. If you disagree we'll find a lawyer and draft up an agreement where you can't prosecute me for strangling you and you can live the experience?"

Them: "Uhhhh no thanks."

people shut down when you offer to spend a bunch of money to get away with wringing their neck like Homer did to Bart.

Just cause my father is alive don't mean I have to like or respect or trust or forgive or forget etc. If I hear about his funeral i'm gonna go just to make sure he's dead. Be a weight off my mind and one less abusive rear end in a top hat roaming around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

I wanted to make sure he knew how to take care of himself in the chance that me or his mother were not around anymore

Good news, you succeeded so well he got there long before you actually died!

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

FMguru posted:

My son despises me

Just think of how much more room your son has to focus on becoming a winner in life now that you've trained him to discard such frivolities as "giving a poo poo about my dad's health" and "wasting time even pretending to care about my dad's feelings". Good work, dad, huge success!

You need to grow up without any help, fun, or love from me, your father, because thats how I was raised and I came out fine. Now, how about you give some love and care for me??

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITAH for starting a fight at a wedding because a girl tried to see what was under my brother's kilt

quote:

My (f19) little brother (16) was an usher at my brother's (28) wedding. The entire men's side of the wedding party wore kilts. The bridesmaids wore dresses that matched the tartan. It looked really cool.

This absolute bitch got drunk at the reception and kept trying to see if it was true about men in kilts. All the guys including my brother told her to leave them alone. I think the only guy she didn't harass was the groom.

Some of the boys were outside the hall talking and vaping when she went out there. I was there already.

She literally started chasing Andrew around to look under his kilt. The other guys where telling her to stop and hiding him behind them.

I had had enough. I went over grabbed her arm and gave her a little slap. Not a full handed Russian competition slap. Just a cupped palm slap that makes a lot of noise but doesn't hurt much.

That stunned her. She started screaming that she was going to call the cops. I asked her how old she was. She said "I'm only 18 you d**e". I said that she was sexually harassing a 16 year old in front of witnesses. I asked her if she wanted me to call the cops for her.

She started saying that she was just playing around and wasn't trying that. I asked her if the genders were reversed and an 18 year old guy was trying to look under a 16 year old girl's skirt what she would think.

She w not back into the hall. But a lot of people were talking about it when I came back in.

My brother, the groom, said I did the right thing but that it was causing drama with his wife's family. I slapped her cousin.

I went to where she was crying and I apologized for the slap. I didn't try and explain why I did it. Just that I was sorry I slapped her. She accepted my apology and I tried to walk away. Her mom, an aunt of the bride said I was lucky if they didn't call the cops. I asked her to ask her daughter if she wanted that. She was very emphatic that she did not want to involve the police.

The drama died down and the rest of the reception went well. I have heard from a few people that I shouldn't be starting fights at weddings. I just said I was stopping bad behaviour.

We just dropped them off for their flight and are on the way home from the airport. My mom said that I was lucky that it didn't go further than an apology and that I could have gotten in real trouble. I'm kind of sick of holding in why I did it so I told her the next time she was okay with her kid being sexually harassed she needed to let me know.

Now she is steaming that no one told her what happened. I can't win.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This clearly sounds like an opportunity for me to invite you out to lunch and surprise you with your family there!

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Kurieg posted:

AITAH for starting a fight at a wedding because a girl tried to see what was under my brother's kilt

Is it fine to share sexual assault stories of a minor if they happen to be male?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
WIBTA if I refuse to burn away my notebook because my friends are creeped out by it?

quote:

I (23F) have hobbies like programming, drawing...etc but when it's about the time to finally sleep, I bring my notebook and start writing about my 2 friends whom I love so much and even more when they are together 🥰🥰 I basically document everything they do to each other and why they are so drat compatible or why they are so adorable together. Like, how loving could I not? He's a pretty cute twink (23M) and he's a daddy bear (25M) who are both in complete denial of being bisexual! Holy poo poo 😍😍 I have been doing it for 2 years now. They remind me so much of my favorite ship (Wiccan x Hulkling) 😍

So anyway, I was away in the kitchen making tea for my friend (the twink, 23M) and I forgot to put away my notebook. My friend started completely freaking out after reading it.

He threw a fit over it and in pure fury. He said that I'm such a creep to do this to them, he then tried to burn my notebook or throw it away, and I stopped him from doing that, he started crying but it's my private property and it would be a violation if he does that. I then had no choice but to kick him out because I felt very unsafe, he was completely freaking out.

He told the daddy, and they were both in pure anger and disgust. They texted me and called over and over and over again to burn the notebook now calling me names like "bitch", "jerk", "rear end in a top hat" and stuff. I refused to burn it and they said that I'm the most despicable friend ever. How? It's my private notebook, and true it's weird that it's a notebook about them, but I can't just burn it away. It doesn't hurt them, it is of no effect to them, it's just a notebook for my own personal satisfaction.

They threatened to tell all our friends and everybody on social media if I don't burn it and deeply apologize for what I have done, and I really don't want to. They are giving me a duration of a week but I don't want to, it's my private property. WIBTA?

edit "Calling BS" it's unusual, I admit that, but it's not fake at all. If it were not for my safety, I would have shared pictures of my notebook here already.

I'm just a hopeless romantic and whenever I fantasize about them, I just feel good tbh.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

Good sis. I particularly liked the cousin backpedaling at warp speed whenever OP offered to bring the cops into it and explain what started the whole confrontation in the first place (her trying to molest a minor).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

WIBTA if I refuse to burn away my notebook because my friends are creeped out by it?

Did Tumblr write this?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

mystes posted:

I guess it depends on how thoroughly they tried to explain the situation over the phone, and maybe the school was refusing to listen because they really wanted someone to pick up the kid, but the way the post is written, it sounds like the school didn't understand or refused to listen to the situation over the phone and insisted that they come in to pick up the kid, so they went in and the kid was probably there because the school was expecting that they were going to be picking up the kid, so the kid would probably normally be waiting in the office to be picked up.

No, the story clearly states "They had brought her into the office while we were talking, so she heard all of this." Kid wasn't there at the start, they brought the poor kid in while the OP was trying to explain the situation and after the school had made threats. The school refusing to listen to the situation over the phone or refusing to understand something this simple is the fault of the school, not of the people the school was trying to get to take custody of the child. The school bringing her in to interrupt the OP trying to explain the situation is also on the school.

My impression is that if OP was dumb enough to stop repeating to the school that they're not taking responsibility for this child they don't know, who already "didn't understand" and/or "refused to listen" to the OP explaining that they're not responsible for the kid, the school would try to say that they had taken custody of the kid. And I certainly don't think they're AH for getting that impression from a school that "refused to listen" and "made threats". I also think that since they haven't actually spent time with the kid, any trauma the kid gets from a basic fact (like the OP saying they don't know the kid) is the fault of the mother for building up a fake relationship, not the fault of the person pointing out that the relationship doesn't exist.

Halloween Jack posted:

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me the problem with initials is that they're just illegible. I can remember who K and M and P are, but my eyes just slide off any story about how they went somewhere and did a thing. I think there's something innate about this, like how people can usually understand scrambled English letters perfectly if the fisrt and lsat lttres are the smae.

I don't understand why people don't just use fake names with sequential letters. K, M, and P are hard to remember, but "Kate, Mark, and Pam" is easier to keep up with and discuss and serves the purpose of obfuscating real names.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Alchemist posted:

Is it fine to share sexual assault stories of a minor if they happen to be male?

It didn't actually occur, the attempt was correctly called out as sexual harassment, and the perpetrator was embarrassed in front of everyone and caught a hand with her face. I'm fine with this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

I want to burn away my brain too now

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kurieg posted:

At least OP's mom sounds like she's on her side at the end - I'd be pissed too if nobody told me what happened before the cousin got Charlie Murphy'd

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mystes posted:

NTA for the situation and saying this stuff to the school, excluding the fact that it was in front of the kid, and I don't think OP "owes" this kid anything
But still YTA for actually saying it in front of the kid (couldn't OP have asked if the kid could wait outside?)
I want to know how it even came to this. Why are all these moms and their children even in touch with each other; are they all in Dad's orbit because they depend on him financially? When Mom #5 listed her ex's kids as emergency contacts, were they the only people she listed? Why? Or did the school go down a long list of people without thinking that maybe things aren't on the up-and-up here?

OP was a minor when the story was posted.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

quote:

maybe I should just be glad everything is over and let this go
Oh yeah, for sure, it's definitely over. Can't see any more drama coming from these two.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

the holy poopacy posted:

lol at this being the end to the office drama

e:f;b

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mordiceius posted:

This clearly sounds like an opportunity for me to invite you out to lunch and surprise you with your family there!
Be sure to mention that you've secretly been in touch with them for over a year and have been giving them regular status updates on your life!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

Some redditor commented that it's not even about the money, it's about having an excuse to get out of responsibilities and I'm inclined to agree

yeah seems pretty clear its mostly just an excuse to hang out with his friend and his bimbo wife. even from the way the OP describes it it doesnt sound like they are actually getting much work done. in fact he doesnt mention any work at all!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Cythereal posted:

Has anyone told OP it's hosed up she referred to her friends in the story not with names, but as "The Twink" and "The Daddy"?

I'm also assuming neither of them are gay.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

No, the story clearly states "They had brought her into the office while we were talking, so she heard all of this." Kid wasn't there at the start, they brought the poor kid in while the OP was trying to explain the situation and after the school had made threats. The school refusing to listen to the situation over the phone or refusing to understand something this simple is the fault of the school, not of the people the school was trying to get to take custody of the child. The school bringing her in to interrupt the OP trying to explain the situation is also on the school.
Saying that the school brought the kid in to interrupt OP is a really specific reading of the post that is possible but imo isn't necessarily the case. There's also no indication that OP tried to tell them not to bring the kid in and given that OP says "Our moms think that we should have made sure the kid wasn't in the room first but aren't sure if we should apologize or not because it might encourage her" and doesn't clarify that this wouldn't have been possible, it seems most likely that OP thinks it would have been possible.

quote:

My impression is that if OP was dumb enough to stop repeating to the school that they're not taking responsibility for this child they don't know, who already "didn't understand" and/or "refused to listen" to the OP explaining that they're not responsible for the kid, the school would try to say that they had taken custody of the kid. And I certainly don't think they're AH for getting that impression from a school that "refused to listen" and "made threats". I also think that since they haven't actually spent time with the kid, any trauma the kid gets from a basic fact (like the OP saying they don't know the kid) is the fault of the mother for building up a fake relationship, not the fault of the person pointing out that the relationship doesn't exist..

Hellblazer187 posted:

why would the child be heartbroken at a stranger saying "we're strangers"? If the OP has barely met this child that means the child has barely met the OP. Is it really that traumatic for someone to say "I am not your sister" if you barely know them?
OP saying they're strangers is just a basic fact that should not traumatize the kid, but from the kid's perspective, presumably they were told that OP was someone who was going to pick them up and then they got brought in and then OP "went off" in front of them about the whole family position which doesn't sound like it was necessarily just calmly stating the fact that they were strangers.

It depends on what OP means by "went off" but even in a situation where there was a mixup and the kid was a total stranger and the school was acting badly, going in and "going off" (which I assume at least means talking angrily about the family situation) in front of a child is not really great imo and could probably be pretty upsetting to the child.

Even though OP is saying that the kid is a complete stranger, I also have to wonder, would OP have felt OK with "going off" about the situation in front of a kid who was actually a total stranger rather than a half sibling they had never met? Or did OP feel justified specifically because of their anger at their father?

Halloween Jack posted:

OP was a minor when the story was posted.
OK if OP was a minor then NTA on general principle.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 6, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

ah I remember this one

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
There was one very similar where OP was writing erotic novel about their coworker and decided it was good idea to share it at work

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

limp_cheese posted:

Uh no, obviously they are "both in complete denial of being bisexual" because this girls' tumblr powers override any silly objections like "they have never displayed any same-sex attraction for anyone" and "they get angry when I bring it up"

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

EDIT: think it's not worth arguing any more, dropping it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

It's explicitly the case in the story - OP was explaining, kid wasn't in the room, then kid was in the room mid-explanation. That's interrupting the OP, if the school didn't want to interrupt the OP then they would have waited to bring the kid in until OP was done. Whether OP thinks it was possible to get them to not bring the kid into the room is irrelevant, the school clearly interrupted the OP by bringing in the kid and clearly wanted to (otherwise they could have kept the kid out of the room).

OP is definitely the not an AH, even disregarding the new information that OP was not even an adult (which makes the attempts to shift blame from the adults in the story really gross).
if OP was "interrupted" why did they keep talking in front of the kid? What you're saying doesn't make sense to me. If the school brought in the kid in and OP kept talking in front of the kid then it doesn't seem like they were interrupted.

If they were interrupted and stopped talking when the kid was brought in and then chose to continue then they clearly could have asked to have the kid removed.

Whether OP is a minor or not does make a difference imo because an adult should have been able to handle this better, but if they're a minor it's understandable that OP reacted badly and the school shouldn't have asked them to pick up the kid even without knowing the situation.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 6, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

limp_cheese posted:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mystes posted:

if OP was "interrupted" why did they keep talking in front of the kid? What you're saying doesn't make sense to me. If the school brought in the kid in and OP kept talking in front of the kid then it doesn't seem like they were interrupted.

If they were interrupted and stopped talking when the kid was brought in and then chose to continue then they clearly could have asked to have the kid removed.

Whether OP is a minor or not does make a difference imo because an adult should have been able to handle this better, but if they're a minor it's understandable that OP reacted badly and the school shouldn't have asked them to pick up the kid even without knowing the situation.

how far would you expect an adult to bend over to protect the feelings of a child they don't even know? they haven't even met this child before

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

mystes posted:

There's a long list of people responsible for this hosed-up situation and OP is somewhere near the bottom. I really just don't give a poo poo if a teenager lost their temper at a bunch of dumbass adults threatening them with the police due to a nonexistent parental obligation. I'm sorry that the 5 year old had to deal with the incredibly traumatic experience of watching adults get yelled at, but I have a feeling it's going to be a constant feature of life with Mombo #5.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how far would you expect an adult to bend over to protect the feelings of a child they don't even know? they haven't even met this child before
I would in fact expect an adult to make minimal efforts to protect the feelings of a child they don't know at least to the extent of saying "hey maybe they shouldn't be in the room for this"?

Halloween Jack posted:

There's a long list of people responsible for this hosed-up situation and OP is somewhere near the bottom. I really just don't give a poo poo if a teenager lost their temper at a bunch of dumbass adults threatening them with the police due to a nonexistent parental obligation. I'm sorry that the 5 year old had to deal with the incredibly traumatic experience of watching adults get yelled at, but I have a feeling it's going to be a constant feature of life with Mombo #5.
I mean yeah I didn't realize that OP is a minor from the original post, but given that, I don't blame them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Being real, if the incident happened like 6 months after they passed the age of majority in whatever country they're in, I still wouldn't blame them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Oh my god :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru posted:

My son despises me
Upon rereading, the thing that jumped out at me was the way OP kept going on about how "his generation" didn't know any other way to raise a kid, like he had just gotten back from WWII and Ozzie and Harriet were on TV. Except, if his kid is starting his post-college life right now, he was probably born after 2000, which makes dad a millennial (or, at the very latest, a genexer) and, uh, no those generations were not mainly raised by hard-rear end drill sergeants yelling "the more you cry, the less I care!" and "keep that up and I'll give you something to really cry about".

"It was the 2010s! That's just how we raised kids back then!" - uh, no.

Also, saying his son "despises" him doesn't seem right - to despise someone is to hate them with a particular intensity, and the son seems largely indifferent to his dad (the son seems to have made his peace with his dad's parenting technique and is moving on with his life).