Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Anything to help my wife's necromancer? She found Second Marriage.

Connor only lasts 10 round at a time I believe, but can be summoned again infinitely, though you may already know this. There will be a book that murderhoboess is going to want in a town that's seen better days, and a missing piece of that book somewhere spidery and very nearby. Summons can drink potions and elixirs if you place one on the ground. The Aid, Mage Armor, and Longstrider spells all do quite a bit to improve the survivability and utility of summons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Let your summons consume potions from the party tab like equals :argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Looking forward to the undead unionizing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Black Noise posted:

Let your summons consume potions from the party tab like equals :argh:

If you highlight your summon’s portrait then open the party inventory panel, you can right click and use consumables :ssh:

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

We're only level 4.

She's playing a necromancer wizard. I think she'll focus more on the damage for a wizard. And she's enjoying Karlach the barbarian thrower.

I'm playing an orc fighter and switching out my companion for whoever. Usually I'm switching around Shadowheart for Bless or or whoever. I think I'll reroll my fighter to a Bard for more buffs and control.

Anything to help my wife's necromancer? She found Second Marriage.

Fighter is a very strong class, particularly battle master. Can use your battle dice to prone or frighten or disarm while also dealing high damage which is pretty great. If you’re not happy with the fighter that’s a build I would recommend.

Bards are amazing too though. Great selection of control and utility spells, and as you grow you get a silly number of attacks per turn via flourishes. It’s also very very nice having a charisma based character for the thousands of dialogue checks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Would you mind explaining the Bard flourish thing, because my PC is a bard and I thought flourish was just a little melee AoE.

EDIT: There's a ranged Flourish? I feel like I need to take a second pass through customizing the interface for my party.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 6, 2024

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Dick Trauma posted:

Would you mind explaining the Bard flourish thing, because my PC is a bard and I thought flourish was just a little melee AoE.

The ranged version lets you make two attacks against whoever the hell you want, including the same target.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

The ranged version of slashing flourish is amazing. It lets you attack twice with one action. Either targeting the same thing twice or two different people. As you level up you earn extra attacks, and if you dip into fighter for action surge you can do those extra attacks again. Add in haste and you can shoot like 10 times in one round.

With the sharpshooter feat plus good chance to hit, you will really mow poo poo down.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Ranged slashing flourish is so much better than the melee version that I'm sure it's a design oversight that they won't get rid of because it's so much fun.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I am sad, I am doing an origin honour mode run, and I managed to nat 1 the illithid persuade on the goblin guards. So now the whole goblin ruin is aggroed, so no Minty :(

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

tarbrush posted:

I am sad, I am doing an origin honour mode run, and I managed to nat 1 the illithid persuade on the goblin guards. So now the whole goblin ruin is aggroed, so no Minty :(

Play a halfling next time instead of the smelly origins, OP.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
SWORD bard being able to use SLASHING flourish with bows and crossbows is dumb and the reason why I will never make a ranged sword bard. :colbert:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm imagining my halfling bard waving both their hand crossbows in the air and enemies just keeling over.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Like a hobbit John Wick. Baby Yaga.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Play a halfling next time instead of the smelly origins, OP.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm imagining my halfling bard waving both their hand crossbows in the air and enemies just keeling over.

The run I just finished was a halfling archery bard and ngl picturing her as D&D Yosemite Sam was very fun

Never rolling a nat 1 when you have +13 to persuasion on a DC10 check definitely feels great. Especially early on before the game starts showering you in inspiration points.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Docjowles posted:

The run I just finished was a halfling archery bard and ngl picturing her as D&D Yosemite Sam was very fun

Clearly you need to grab one of the mods that adds Guns.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Thuryl posted:

The game gives you a tutorial on non-lethal attacks when you fight the masked people in the hag's lair in Act 1, but it's possible to miss it if you never went there or turned tutorials off before that. (Now that I think about it, there are multiple pretty important tutorials in that one specific area; there's one on traps too.)

I fully expect that I toggled off the tutorial prior to starting my first run, because I don't recall seeing one at all.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Docjowles posted:

If you highlight your summon’s portrait then open the party inventory panel, you can right click and use consumables :ssh:

Don’t cite the deep magic to me witch I was there when it was written :argh:
That was directed at the person making their summons drink from the ground. :colbert:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Black Noise posted:

Don’t cite the deep magic to me witch I was there when it was written :argh:
That was directed at the person making their summons drink from the ground. :colbert:

I'm on console so afaik there's no way to hand my dear Shovel a crisp, ice cold Elixir of the Colossus to quench her thirst. She must lap it up from the ground like a dog.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

tarbrush posted:

I'm pretty sure getting Minthara nowadays is just a matter of dunking her with a non-lethal attack. It used to be that you had to jump through massive complicated hoops if you didn't want to wipe out the grove but they've made it simpler now. Just be careful if you have to knock her out in a big fight that you don't drop an AoE that kills her after you've downed her non-lethally.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i can also confirm that you can long rest in between killing the bosses and she’s still available later but i haven’t tried it via long rest before the grove

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Gotcha, thanks. So you just use 1 crossbow or regular bow with that? I'll have to look into that.

i use titanstring bow (zhent vendor in act 1) with giant strength elixirs. it adds your strength bonus to damage so you're getting +10 flat per flourish, which is very nice in early, and stays solid through the whole game since you get cloud giant elixirs later. deadshot with bloodlust elixirs is also an option in act 3.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Reveilled posted:

I'm pretty sure getting Minthara nowadays is just a matter of dunking her with a non-lethal attack. It used to be that you had to jump through massive complicated hoops if you didn't want to wipe out the grove but they've made it simpler now. Just be careful if you have to knock her out in a big fight that you don't drop an AoE that kills her after you've downed her non-lethally.

I just did this a week-ish ago and yeah, make sure the "killing" hit is a melee attack with non-lethal turned on and you're good to go. And yeah, make sure she doesn't get Actual Killed by a stray AOE or something. If you go after her before the other two leaders, she should be pretty safe in her little office-type thingy.

Also I'm just doing the opening to Act Three (after getting past a random-rear end DirectX error), and oh :aaa: :aaaaa: :aaa:

oh hey i'm still the last post in the thread, so

EPISODEON XCIV: lovely SPACE LIZARDMANS
this will look like a CIA document, but, well, that's kinda hard to avoid with the amount of PLOT happening.

we get a bit of shadowheart's past, we reunited a couple, and we've healed the very land, that it may live again. a pretty good effort, all things considered.

I don't think Karlach likes Mr. Gortash very much, and Gale turning into a huge excited dork about magic books is just cute. :allears:
and just as importantly, THIRD QUESTING ZONE WELCOMES CAREFUL DRIVERS

After this, and some walking, some Gith interrupted my nap by jumping out of a portal and trying to kill me, and I interrupted their lives with a bit of murder. Then, well...

oh. oh. i kinda saw this coming, but still. i'm going to assume the best intentions on his part. no, seriously.
everything else aside, i just want to shout out the camera direction on that first picture, it's :discourse:
the actual fight inside the astral prism was actually a bit dicey, mostly because the enemy monks kept tripping my characters.
i won't lie, it's not as fun being on the receiving end of MNK bullshit.

this is a very serious plot sequence, but there's something about the first image there that makes me crack up laughing.
like how does he drink without people seeing his, you know, tentacles? does he even have a mouth? plus it just looks funny.
in any case, i don't think orpheus is having a fun, well, existence. though given that he wants to turbo-murder us, ehhh.
also, he gave us a super brainworm, which I will not use on Zehra because I don't want to, but we'll see about followers.

now I feel kind of bad for killing all of those guys. :smith:
on the other hand, shadowheart upgraded her haircut, and got it bleached for good measure!
and I wound up using the Super Brainworm on Minthara, who looks a bit worse for the wear BUT SHE WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE.
i was actually going to have astarion use it first, but his reaction made me stop that right quick. like i'd feel dirty harassing him into using it.
i guess it makes sense that the guy who had a very horrible unwilling transformation would rather not repeat the experience, though.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 7, 2024

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, poo poo be getting wild, now.

Gale, Minthara, and Astarion are the three who are willing to dive into the brainworms without convincing, but Astarion is very, very reluctant to take that extra step with the partial transformation because of said previous horrible transformation. He's actually the hardest to convince to take the Astral Tadpole out of ANY Party Member who can use it. Minthara, as you discovered, is VERY easy to convince! Gale takes a little bit of convincing, but it's fairly easy, and he doesn't care if you've done it or not. I think everyone else needs you to have done it first to convince them, but I could be wrong?

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 7, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

To deal with the dark dwarf fight that was kicking my rear end I decided to return after exploring more of the cavern, but I swapped out the cleric for the Big Red Lady, thinking that what I really needed was DAMAGE!

I'd used a scroll of see invisibility earlier to reveal the two hidden dwarfs and they were still visible. I put Karlach right behind the enemy leader, with the gith on one side and my PC on the other. Gale climbed up and stood behind the one at the edge of the walkway. That left the archer in the back and the novice down by the boats.

Led off with Karlach and between her and Lazel they killed the leader before he could raise any dead. Gale used the thunder spell to blast his dude down to the bottom level and my PC blinded the novice. Lazel still had moves left and I used Misty Step to put her right next to the archer and trip him, at which point she activated her extra moves and cut him to pieces.

Karlach took care of the dude who had been knocked off the walkway and Gale (with his necklace that creates an extra missile) MM'd the novice into a fine red mist.

It still seems like there's alot of Underdark left so I think I'll retreat for now and maybe go to the teahouse once I put Shar back on the team.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

look, dick trauma, i adore your game journals, but i'm starting to get really triggered by you referring to lae'zel as "the gith" :mad:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If it helps, because I can never remember how to spell her name I think of her as "Hazel."

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I guessed the puzzle in the temple of Selune to get to the next stage. I couldn’t see a hint for it anywhere - any idea where I should’ve looked?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

yung lambic posted:

I guessed the puzzle in the temple of Selune to get to the next stage. I couldn’t see a hint for it anywhere - any idea where I should’ve looked?

There's a Selûnite journal that talks about the puzzle in a chest in Gut's room, near where you find the amulet of misty step.

EDIT: It's also fairly easy to make a passive Perception check to spot the control lever and then lockpick it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I just did this a week-ish ago and yeah, make sure the "killing" hit is a melee attack with non-lethal turned on and you're good to go. And yeah, make sure she doesn't get Actual Killed by a stray AOE or something. If you go after her before the other two leaders, she should be pretty safe in her little office-type thingy.

Also I'm just doing the opening to Act Three (after getting past a random-rear end DirectX error), and oh :aaa: :aaaaa: :aaa:

oh hey i'm still the last post in the thread, so

[

What is the third picture from? With the golden shimmery tree?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

What is the third picture from? With the golden shimmery tree?

it's a cutscene that plays as you leave act 2 if you healed the land

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

If it helps, because I can never remember how to spell her name I think of her as "Hazel."

Now I wish Larian had made Shadowheart or Astarion start calling her Hazel to counter her constantly loving up words like Fay-run and teethlings lol. Would have been a good bit.

And yeah as you've just discovered, there is a surprising amount of Underdark left past that beach area. Including a whole-rear end other zone. You can go back and forth with the surface at will though. There is one event sort of like the burning inn that puts you on a pitch count where if you travel or long rest too many times, you fail, but it's pretty obvious if you talk to the drow trapped under a huge rock slide, you need to get him out before taking more than a couple long rests or he dies.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Docjowles posted:

Now I wish Larian had made Shadowheart or Astarion start calling her Hazel to counter her constantly loving up words like Fay-run and teethlings lol. Would have been a good bit.

And yeah as you've just discovered, there is a surprising amount of Underdark left past that beach area. Including a whole-rear end other zone. You can go back and forth with the surface at will though. There is one event sort of like the burning inn that puts you on a pitch count where if you travel or long rest too many times, you fail, but it's pretty obvious if you talk to the drow trapped under a huge rock slide, you need to get him out before taking more than a couple long rests or he dies.

Nere?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

yeah him

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

GimpInBlack posted:

There's a Selûnite journal that talks about the puzzle in a chest in Gut's room, near where you find the amulet of misty step.

EDIT: It's also fairly easy to make a passive Perception check to spot the control lever and then lockpick it.

Also if you talk to Klagga, the goblin near the BBQ outside, he has a dwarf poem you can buy or convince him to give you that references the puzzle. Klagga is the goblin bragging about his new pants.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Is there any kind of weird synergy between the kidnapping and goblin quests on the surface and what's happening in the Underdark? I was thinking of tackling the teahouse, and if that turns out ok adding Wyll to the party temporarily since it's clear that he's tied to the kidnapping quest.

Leveling all these characters without a guide is an interesting experience. I suspect that that much of the plethora of choices are not actually meaningful but I'm also probably bungling the builds pretty badly because I'm terrible at identifying how skills interact with one another, much like my bafflement at things like WoW builds. "Well if you pick "mangle kitten" at L1 and then the two dark evil traits when you hit L3 you can buy the adamantium crochet hook for your main hand and with every third hit your offhand cursed letter opener will proc three charges of Eldritch Asswhooping. Make sure to grab the "Drunk librarian" feat when you hit L5 because it will add a fourth charge but also increase your saves against noxious fumes which you'll need until the next region."

EDIT: Due to my willingness to pick up pretty much everything I assembled a cool staff that is probably not really good for anything but... I have to give it a try. I have to!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Berzerker posted:

Also if you talk to Klagga, the goblin near the BBQ outside, he has a dwarf poem you can buy or convince him to give you that references the puzzle. Klagga is the goblin bragging about his new pants.

Or you can just murder him and take it. Killing all the goblins outside has no effect on anyone inside the temple.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there any kind of weird synergy between the kidnapping and goblin quests on the surface and what's happening in the Underdark? I was thinking of tackling the teahouse, and if that turns out ok adding Wyll to the party temporarily since it's clear that he's tied to the kidnapping quest.

Leveling all these characters without a guide is an interesting experience. I suspect that that much of the plethora of choices are not actually meaningful but I'm also probably bungling the builds pretty badly because I'm terrible at identifying how skills interact with one another, much like my bafflement at things like WoW builds. "Well if you pick "mangle kitten" at L1 and then the two dark evil traits when you hit L3 you can buy the adamantium crochet hook for your main hand and with every third hit your offhand cursed letter opener will proc three charges of Eldritch Asswhooping. Make sure to grab the "Drunk librarian" feat when you hit L5 because it will add a fourth charge but also increase your saves against noxious fumes which you'll need until the next region."

EDIT: Due to my willingness to pick up pretty much everything I assembled a cool staff that is probably not really good for anything but... I have to give it a try. I have to!

They're related inasmuch as the various bad guy groups are all enthralled by The Absolute. The goblins, drow, and duergar are all working toward the same overarching goal even if their low level tasks are different. That goal isn't known yet in act 1.

As far as builds... it's hard to make something terrible. Abilities that grant extra attacks/actions/bonus actions are S tier. Nothing is more valuable than getting to do more stuff per turn. Crowd control abilities are good, especially early on when you have like 20hp and one bad round can wipe you. Hold person, sleep, hypnotic pattern, fear, as well as anything that can knock enemies prone or disarm them. You don't need to go hog wild with CC but taking a baddie or two out of the fight temporarily while you focus someone down helps a lot. Much like WoW. Unless you feel like you can just burn them all down in a round or two. Then you should do that :v:

Don't be afraid to respec anybody at any time if you feel like the build sucks or isn't fun or if you get new gear that seems better suited to something else. It's literally free if you rob Withers.

A few generic build tips: reminder that odd ability scores are nearly worthless in DND. You get a bonus for every 2 points in an ability. So if someone is sitting around with 17 CHA or 13 CON, redo that to land on even numbers. Primary stat (the one with a star next to it), DEX (initiative, bonus to AC), CON (HP, concentration saving throws) are great stats to invest in regardless of class. Ideally a balanced party has at least one high STR member to carry all your poo poo, and a high CHA member for dialogue. Finally, IF you want to multiclass, level 6 or 7 is a good time to dip your toe into a new class. They all get huge power spikes at level 5 so you generally want to go at least that far before swapping out. Having 2 levels in a bunch of classes means you suck at all of them. Multiclassing is by no means required.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 7, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Docjowles posted:

As far as builds... it's hard to make something terrible.

Me shaking the Sorcerer by the collar WHY ARE YOU TAKING MAGIC INITIATE!? YOU ARE MAGIC!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

That staff rules if you go all in on cold magic you can watch all your opponents slip and slide around each turn like the ice capades. I used it until mostly through act 3 on one playthrough and will probably do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlothBear posted:

That staff rules if you go all in on cold magic you can watch all your opponents slip and slide around each turn like the ice capades. I used it until mostly through act 3 on one playthrough and will probably do it again.

Yeah it almost seems like that's what they intended Gale to become, there's a lot of ice complementary stuff in Act 1/2.