Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's clearly a signal to right-wingers. He clearly doesn't owe anyone anything by letting the city behind him burn, and he's pulling himself up by his bootstraps, and he lives in a fancy penthouse because what man of his ability wouldn't take the wealth that is owed to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
As a cinematic suit, I like it. I get red trunks and a yellow belt, and a non-metallic/shiny suit. I can live with the collar since it's shorter than how it was often drawn in the new 52, as well as symmetrical instead of like a suit collar with an opening in the front. I don't remotely give a poo poo about the suit folding, I'd rather have a costume the actor can move around in than being locked into a rubber monstrosity. If it means he can be in the suit for a lot of screentime just talking to people instead of having to find excuses for the actor to not be steaming in an outfit sitting at a table, I'll take it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

It's clearly a signal to right-wingers. He clearly doesn't owe anyone anything by letting the city behind him burn, and he's pulling himself up by his bootstraps, and he lives in a fancy penthouse because what man of his ability wouldn't take the wealth that is owed to him?

It's the jewish space laser.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Looks fine but I wanna see the trunks

He doesn't show up until the Android Saga

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The bunched material at the shoulders suggests the suit isn't stretched over muscle, and if there's one thing Superman needs it's a tight suit because his body gives his suit form, not the other way around.

Eh, don't know why I'm getting invested in a Superman promo image, but it should all be brighter, lighter, and tighter for my money.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Gunn’s superman suit is basically the new 52 suit but with the red undies. I was hoping for something more simpler like Christopher reeves or Brandon routes suits

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

RubberLuffy posted:

Just posted by Gunn on Threads (can we embed Threads posts?) Either way it's described as an "on set and in-camera" shot from the new Superman.

I like it.

Sure it's a lot of "I'm done with this poo poo" energy going on, but I still like that costume.

And that's even if it has the red trunks which I consider to be an oudated concept and best left in the past.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
I’m more interested in what’s going on in the background. Is that lex fighting guy gardner or possibly a brainiac tease?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lobok posted:

I really truly loving don't get the fascination with putting Superman in a collar. So many connotations a collar has in an outfit goes against what he is. Is he regal? No. Is he an officer? No. Is he a businessman? No. Is he cold? No. Like maaaybe a religious authority figure but I don't think we want to go there.

Plus a wide open collar is so much better for projecting an image of strength if you've got that built upper body.

100%. High collars on a Superman suit are completely antithetical to the core ideals of the character and I loving hate it.

Just go the Morrison New 52 route and put him in a t-shirt, farmer jeans, and beat-up work boots.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I mean, it's fine, it looks like a picture of Superman putting his boots on. I'm not entirely sure why "ugh, I just woke up ten minutes ago and I have to go fight an evil eye thing, I'm gonna get dressed really slowly to give myself time to wake up" is the vibe they went with, but... okay?

The Last Call posted:

I like it.

Sure it's a lot of "I'm done with this poo poo" energy going on, but I still like that costume.

And that's even if it has the red trunks which I consider to be an oudated concept and best left in the past.
Suit looks bad without 'em. You need to break up all that blue.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, it's fine, it looks like a picture of Superman putting his boots on. I'm not entirely sure why "ugh, I just woke up ten minutes ago and I have to go fight an evil eye thing, I'm gonna get dressed really slowly to give myself time to wake up" is the vibe they went with, but... okay?

True.

They haven't found a way to crack that problem.

Once they do, I never want to see the trunks again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I like the red trunks. Breaks up all the blue on the front, gives him a more defined torso, and seems more consistent with the red boots.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Lobok posted:

I like the red trunks. Breaks up all the blue on the front, gives him a more defined torso, and seems more consistent with the red boots.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah agreed, something is needed there and you can't give him a giant WWE championship belt, that would look silly. It would need to be like on the thigh area reaching around into a belt, with some Red and Yellow involved, but it would all look dumb. Trunks need to stay.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You need the trunks because a) it looks weird whenever they just make it a monochrome body suit and b) just giving him a belt doesn’t work because it draws attention to the lack of trunks and looks weird because… it’s a belt in the middle of a spandex bodysuit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

Superman's suit always looks worse the more you over design it. I don't want just plain spandex or anything, I realize it needs some sort of texture. But I think they went a bit too far here. The collar also reminds me of the New 52 suit and that's not a positive comparison.

Yea my initial reaction too, i did like the collar but the rest of the suit was way over designed. And yea, you need trunks. Why the early 2000s Cyclops outfit never really worked because he is just wearing a giant body condom.

I do love that he and other have trunks because old strong men would wear trunks over their body suits so you couldn't see their junk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Like if you’re that embarrassed by it, just toss in some throwaway line from Clark about thinking circus strongmen or bodybuilders were really cool when he was a kid because he felt like he could actually relate to them with his powers or whatever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Was the New 52 suit the first high collar suit actually used in the comics? I remember when Ultimate Marvel got real big in the early 2000s Wizard did an article about making an Ultimate DC and the concept art they created was the first time I'd seen a high collar on Superman and I hated it immediately. Interestingly enough, the chest logo of the Ultimate Superman was almost exactly the same as the one on Gunn's Superman as well. The Ultimate one just had black in stead of yellow.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

X-O posted:

Was the New 52 suit the first high collar suit actually used in the comics? I remember when Ultimate Marvel got real big in the early 2000s Wizard did an article about making an Ultimate DC and the concept art they created was the first time I'd seen a high collar on Superman and I hated it immediately. Interestingly enough, the chest logo of the Ultimate Superman was almost exactly the same as the one on Gunn's Superman as well. The Ultimate one just had black in stead of yellow.

Your correct. The wizard ultimate dc thing was the first concept of supes with a high collar

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The trunks are important because that's what Superman has worn since the '30s. They're part of the iconography. They don't need an explanation, that's just how Superman dresses.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Kingdom Come logo is an interesting choice. Especially from a branding perspective since the classic logo is so well known.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Joe Fisto posted:

The trunks are important because that's what Superman has worn since the '30s. They're part of the iconography. They don't need an explanation, that's just how Superman dresses.

And if anyone asks Superman why he has trunks, he should say with genuine small town honesty "I just think they look neat" and that's the end of it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Last Call posted:

True.

They haven't found a way to crack that problem.

Once they do, I never want to see the trunks again.
I propose that they have cracked the problem and the solution is the trunks.

They work. Nothing else ever has.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

CapnAndy posted:

I propose that they have cracked the problem and the solution is the trunks.

They work. Nothing else ever has.

I counter that.

I propose that they will be done away with in due time.

They will find a design that works without them.

They will then put them in the past where they belong.

People will be angry and upset, of course. What else is new.

In due time people will get over it.

Until then, I'm sure they'll be around which will keep some of the purist happy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Parkingtigers posted:

And if anyone asks Superman why he has trunks, he should say with genuine small town honesty "I just think they look neat" and that's the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIkZXEwy1gE

Arrowverse Clark is so good :allears:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

But interestingly, the collar on "Superman" does show up much earlier when we're talking about bad depictions or analogues. Yet another reason why it's mystifying to me how comic artists who you'd think would know better would give the real and good Superman something that makes it look like maybe he's better than you or lording over people.

Outside of comics though, it's funny to think that the Justice Lords episode of Justice League, with the high-collared black & white Superman, debuted later in the same year as that issue of Wizard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The "Just Imagine..." Superman had a high collar in 2001

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Maybe he’ll change costumes through the movie like MCU characters do

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
stan lee's superman?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

stan lee's superman?

there was a series of one-shots in the late 90's where Stan Lee made versions of DC heroes only really tangentially related to the basis. Basically just taking the name and doing something totally different. Superman for instance is an alien stranded on Earth trying to make it more peaceful so that the technology to get him home will eventually be developed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

stan lee's superman?

It was a gimmick thing he did where he created versions of various DC characters as if he had originally made them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

The "Just Imagine..." Superman had a high collar in 2001

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this but why is this Hyperion?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

site posted:

stan lee's superman?

You shoul see his Batman

It wasn't very good.

Any of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Last Call posted:

I counter that.

I propose that they will be done away with in due time.

They will find a design that works without them.

They will then put them in the past where they belong.

People will be angry and upset, of course. What else is new.

In due time people will get over it.

Until then, I'm sure they'll be around which will keep some of the purist happy.

They've been 'trying to do away with them' for several decades now and it never sticks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Was Just Imagine when it became obvious that Stan Lee had completely lost his fastball, or was it already known before then?

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

CapnAndy posted:

Was Just Imagine when it became obvious that Stan Lee had completely lost his fastball, or was it already known before then?

It was known when he did that video with Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefeld where he had no idea what was going on and acknowledged he just wasn’t with the times anymore

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ImpAtom posted:

They've been 'trying to do away with them' for several decades now and it never sticks.

It’ll never stick. They’re an important part of the costume, just as important as the cape and the symbol. Hating the trunks is just wasted energy.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
Only time no trucks is ok is if they do the Grant Morrison/Rags Morales t-shirt and jeans Superman costume

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Perhaps now, in the 90th year of his existence, is the time.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

ImpAtom posted:

Except it did stick once they decided to axe them.

Until Brian Michael Bendis joined DC and he wanted the trunks, he was considered a big deal and had the sway the bring them back. Go figure his run at DC was an utter flop. Until then the trunks had been gone for a good decade, give or take a year.

There's a reason why trunks have vanished from the super hero lanscape. They're an outdated concept and look silly. You can justify them however one wants, they look stupid.

Eventually they will be done away with on Superman like they've been done away with every other hero.

Time will make that the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Trunks rule. Superman is better with them. Batman too.