Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Suplex Liberace posted:

Sports papers in the 30s talked about how pro wrestling was fake. Plus once you started to run the same buildings week after week the way the wrestling evolved to look is just obviously not real to anyone with eyes. The stuff airing on tv in the 50s is obviously two people working together. Plus that famous poll in some newspaper in the 70s or 80s that Ole saw that made him cry. Im sure some people thought it was real but most knew it was fake and just wanted to play along for entertainment.

Yeah I didn't mean that most adults thought it was real, but kids definitely thought it was more real than kids do now, and were probably a bigger share of the audience back then. I think it's easier to suspend disbelief when the companies are still telling you it's real too, and obviously the curtain hadn't been pulled back on how exactly they made the work happen like we know now. But overall I feel like there was just a different attitude about playing along with the reality of it, so people played into it more with despising heels because they did bad things to the good guys, etc. I mean even people who in the modern day realize wrestling is a work still fall for the Andy Kaufman stuff being a shoot for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suplex Liberace posted:

Sports papers in the 30s talked about how pro wrestling was fake. Plus once you started to run the same buildings week after week the way the wrestling evolved to look is just obviously not real to anyone with eyes. The stuff airing on tv in the 50s is obviously two people working together. Plus that famous poll in some newspaper in the 70s or 80s that Ole saw that made him cry. Im sure some people thought it was real but most knew it was fake and just wanted to play along for entertainment.

Yeah a lot of fans knew it was fake even if they didn't know the various tricks and etc, but it's easy to get worked when you're insanely drunk on cheap beer and heels are openly antagonizing you, which was a big reason why crowds were so loud back in the day and comparatively mild now.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Has anyone considered the fact that people in the past were just stupid as gently caress and not cool and smart like we all are now

Also this, plus the amount and flow of media was completely different.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has anyone considered the fact that people in the past were just stupid as gently caress and not cool and smart like we all are now

fun fact, did you know scientists found cave paintings that showed humans and animals with multiple heads and limbs but when you lit the cave by torchlight the drawings actually animated?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ice-age-artists-may-have-used-firelight-to-animate-carvings-180979943/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shard posted:

fun fact, did you know scientists found cave paintings that showed humans and animals with multiple heads and limbs but when you lit the cave by torchlight the drawings actually animated?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ice-age-artists-may-have-used-firelight-to-animate-carvings-180979943/

It’s not even 4k60 HDR those cave people can’t do poo poo

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh, something else I meant to mention was that I think dropping kayfabe expanded the audience. Before a lot of people who didn't watch wrestling viewed wrestling fans as dumb hicks who believed it was real, even if they didn't, so they looked down on the whole thing. Even in the 90's you'd still hear people taunt "don't you know it isn't real?," especially from older people. Now everyone knows it's scripted, so people don't feel like their intelligence is being insulted/like someone's getting one over on them, and people aren't saying they're a loving idiot for watching some fake show anymore. I don't think the success of the Attitude Era happens without edgy teens and adults feeling like they're in on the joke.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 6, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People absolutely still do the “you know it’s all fake right” thing

I’ve had coworkers explain to me that the blood is all movie magic and then taken great delight in showing them the most hosed deathmatch poo poo and asking them to point out the special effects

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I’ve had coworkers explain to me that the blood is all movie magic and then taken great delight in showing them the most hosed deathmatch poo poo and asking them to point out the special effects

I caught a picture of History's reaction showing his co-workers the death match. He didn't want to influence them so he watched from outside the room.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I could do that, but generally don't want my co-workers to know I'm a complete sicko, so I just start asking them "you know it's all fake right?" any time they start talking about a TV drama or film. So my co-workers know I'm annoying as hell, but they already knew that.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Necro Butcher had a gimmicked forehead with squibs and fake blood

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I think in the long term "kayfabe" has hurt pro-wrestling for the reasons you mention. The fact that they for so long tried to pretend something so obviously fake-looking was real means that even now there are people who think wrestling fans are just idiots who haven't realised it's fake yet. I stumbled on a reddit thread based on the semi-viral Ospreay/Ibushi "hurricanrana-but-lands-on-his-feet" gif, where people were explaining that there are people who watch wrestling just because it's aesthetically enjoyable even though they know it's fake, like it was some grand revelation. In no other form of entertainment/art is there this weird barrier where just enjoying something fictional on its own terms has to be explained

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know it’s hard to digest but wrestling fans are still dumb hicks that they have to advertise Mountain Dew to. Congrats to all of us for being trashfolk.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

this kid is nuts posted:

I think in the long term "kayfabe" has hurt pro-wrestling for the reasons you mention. The fact that they for so long tried to pretend something so obviously fake-looking was real means that even now there are people who think wrestling fans are just idiots who haven't realised it's fake yet. I stumbled on a reddit thread based on the semi-viral Ospreay/Ibushi "hurricanrana-but-lands-on-his-feet" gif, where people were explaining that there are people who watch wrestling just because it's aesthetically enjoyable even though they know it's fake, like it was some grand revelation. In no other form of entertainment/art is there this weird barrier where just enjoying something fictional on its own terms has to be explained

At the same time though what makes wrestling so unique is that there are so many moments that blur that reality with fiction and can either be real or convince people that what’s happening is real. So I don’t think kayfabe should ever fully disappear.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Every segment should be a worked shoot. It's the only true kayfabe.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bring back Brawl for All but script it this time instead of throwing a temper tantrum and getting the winner killed by a pro boxer because you wanted someone else to win.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

me showing my coworkers samoa joe vs the necro butcher, "how did he fake his skull smashing in the ground like that?"

The_Rob posted:

At the same time though what makes wrestling so unique is that there are so many moments that blur that reality with fiction and can either be real or convince people that what’s happening is real. So I don’t think kayfabe should ever fully disappear.

to me there is the internal kayfabe of the wrestling show you watch and then there is believing your wrestling character exists outside of that so you just lie all the time

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Bring back Brawl for All but script it this time instead of throwing a temper tantrum and getting the winner killed by a pro boxer because you wanted someone else to win.

Brawl for All felt real because it was real, and the fans appreciated it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My coworkers would need to waterboard me to get me to admit to watching wrestling.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

My coworkers would need to waterboard me to get me to admit to watching wrestling.

i made that mistake like one time 5 years ago and there’s still people that don’t trust me to be a big boy

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

The_Rob posted:

But sometimes that completely sucks poo poo (e.g. Inoki's weird MMA experiments)

Actually can anyone think of a "worked shoot"/blurring of lines that was actually really good? Struggling to think of one right now

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this kid is nuts posted:

But sometimes that completely sucks poo poo (e.g. Inoki's weird MMA experiments)

Actually can anyone think of a "worked shoot"/blurring of lines that was actually really good? Struggling to think of one right now

bryan danielson pretending to get his leg stuck between the ramp and the ring just because he thought it would be funny

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a.lo posted:

Brawl for All felt real because it was real, and the fans appreciated it.

brawl for all was great, aew should hire whoever came up with that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

this kid is nuts posted:

Montreal Screwjob

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

NienNunb posted:

lol

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

this kid is nuts posted:

I’m not talking about worked shoots in general. Just more knowing that certain wrestlers got beef and they hit each other extra hard because of that. Or promos where it gets weirdly personal. I love that poo poo.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this kid is nuts posted:

it wasnt exactly a worked shoot in the same way the screwjob was but this is one of the last big examples of that for anyone watching at home at the time, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d96oWSCI4LM

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I work with a bunch of artsy types, so while they will never watch wrestling on TV, they'll go to an indie show and more or less respect the art form. But I typically do wear wrestling shirts at work and will tell people "I don't watch WWE", so it's probably best not to address me irl.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

its always been funny to me that right as kayfabe was officially broken in the 90s, Reality TV came along and has worked the general public more than wrestling ever could have in the mythical kayfabe era

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Majinfoose posted:

I work with a bunch of artsy types, so while they will never watch wrestling on TV, they'll go to an indie show and more or less respect the art form. But I typically do wear wrestling shirts at work and will tell people "I don't watch WWE", so it's probably best not to address me irl.

we need to get a gently caress wwe shirt.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also inokism rocked and I’ll never back down from that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Butterbean knocking bart gunn out in like 4 seconds at mania then the wwf ref propping him back up and saying "do it again, big man", then immediately firing bart gunn

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've talked about watching wrestling with coworkers. It is just a fun TV show to enjoy. Don't see the point in being embarrassed. Sometimes people ask me questions about it and I just say I don't/didn't/haven't watch this or that and try not to be an unpleasant rear end in a top hat.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There also the cognitive disconnect for some people where they can't believe somebody would intentionally cut themselves for dramatic effect.
Or mess their faces up with sandpaper to sell a fake attack on TV.
Sorta like a lesser version of the twin cutting his finger off in the Prestige. Or the part in Romance of the Three Kingdoms where Huang Gai was publicly whipped for disobedience so his fake betrayal to Wei would be believable.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
As long as you don’t act embarrassed about liking wrestling nobody gives a poo poo. Some people are interested some aren’t.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Shard posted:

we need to get a gently caress wwe shirt.

Yes buddy, we do

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I've talked about watching wrestling with coworkers. It is just a fun TV show to enjoy. Don't see the point in being embarrassed. Sometimes people ask me questions about it and I just say I don't/didn't/haven't watch this or that and try not to be an unpleasant rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I haven't found it to be a very big deal. It's kind of like anime where if you just watch it and post about it on the internet sometimes nobody really gives a poo poo, but if you make it your entire personality people are going to find you pretty offputting.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Wrestling is cool AF

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

if you're embarrassed of your hobbys well i just dont know

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

self-hating wrestling nerds

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
T-shirts can breakdown or be ruined. Getting a "gently caress the WWE" tattoo would be a baller move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Interesting that the posters who can't watch things when they're too cringe are also afraid of their coworkers. This means something I'm just not sure what