Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean I think a 30-30 split of agree disagree for diehard MAGA folks is actually a pretty damning indictment, especially when you look at total Repubs and what it looks like on the Democratic side. She's cooked unless the country has collective amnesia and this is never brought up by her political opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Madkal posted:

Thanks to Noem I now have family members who think it is natural for farmers to kill dogs on a frequent basis.

It's not, in no universe is shooting your dog (on someone else's property no less) a normal response to the situation Noem described.

If your dog gets out and kills some of your neighbors chickens you pay for the chickens, apologize, and say you won't let that poo poo happen again because everyone involved understands that it's your fault this happened because as the dogs owner you were responsible for training and keeping an eye on this animal and you failed to do that. Then you get off your rear end and either actually train the dog (which, as Noem described in the book, she had failed to do thinking it would just "pick up training from the other dogs") so it'll know how to behave or failing that you take it to a shelter or re-home it.

The only time you should be shooting a dog is if it's showing signs of advanced rabies and you're too afraid to get near it to take it to the vet.

This story absolutely should be a career killer because it's her loudly announcing "I'm irresponsible and completely ignorant about things I claim to be an expert on!" and the fact she felt comfortable public sharing it shows she lacks any sort of self-awareness.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some polling shifts among minority voters from that TIPP poll as well as from a Suffolk poll done for USAT.

TIPP:

quote:

Trump has also made significant inroads among key traditional Democratic constituencies.

African-Americans, for instance, gave 87% of their vote to Biden in 2020, compared to just 12% for Trump. But that's changed dramatically in 2024: Black voters say they favor Biden by 59%, a 28% decline from four years ago, while 15% say they back Trump, a three percentage-point gain. All told, it's a 31-point swing.

Among Hispanics, Biden slammed Trump in 2020, 65% to 32%. In this month's I&I/TIPP Poll, Hispanics give just 47% support to Biden, 26% to Trump, and 13% to Kennedy.

Suffolk is rosier for Biden's chances, and sees them improving among these groups:

quote:

Since the beginning of the year, Biden has gained ground among some key voters while Trump has lost it.

* Among voters under 35 years old, Biden has gained 1 percentage point and Trump has lost 12 since the survey in January. Biden now holds a lead, 34%-25%, although not the overwhelming one he scored in the 2020 election.

* Among Hispanic voters, Biden's support has stayed the same, but Trump has lost 11 points. Biden now leads 34%-28%, still short of the 2-1 edge he had in 2020.

* Among independents, Biden has gained 5 points, and Trump has lost 4. Now the two are essentially tied, with Trump at 27% and Biden at 26%. Nearly as many, 22%, are undecided, and 23% are supporting third-party candidates.

* Among Black voters, Biden has gained 7 points since January while Trump's standing hasn't changed. They now support Biden by 64%-12% − better than before, though still far short of the 87% who voted for him in 2020.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/05/06/biden-trump-tie-hispanic-black-younger-voters/73504174007/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean I think a 30-30 split of agree disagree for diehard MAGA folks is actually a pretty damning indictment, especially when you look at total Repubs and what it looks like on the Democratic side. She's cooked unless the country has collective amnesia and this is never brought up by her political opponents.

Trumps floor is always around 30% but it always rebounds. She can absolutely come back from this if the right wing sphere wants her to.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This year's Pulitzer Prizes are about to be announced momentarily.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Kristi Noem and Drake seem to be in a race to figure out who can have the biggest Meltdown May

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amusingly, Columbia banning their own student press from the event:

https://twitter.com/IndyScholtens/status/1787543712123559975

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kalli posted:

Amusingly, Columbia banning their own student press from the event:

https://twitter.com/IndyScholtens/status/1787543712123559975

Well duh the best way to avoid bad press is obviously to ban your own press from the event.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Pulitzer committee "acknowledged" student journos on its home page.

quote:

As we gather to consider the nation’s finest and most courageous journalism, the Pulitzer Prize Board would like to recognize the tireless efforts of student journalists across our nation’s college campuses, who are covering protests and unrest in the face of great personal and academic risk. We would also like to acknowledge the extraordinary real-time reporting of student journalists at Columbia University, where the Pulitzer Prizes are housed, as the New York Police Department was called onto campus on Tuesday night. In the spirit of press freedom, these students worked to document a major national news event under difficult and dangerous circumstances and at risk of arrest.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trumps floor is always around 30% but it always rebounds. She can absolutely come back from this if the right wing sphere wants her to.

The key word there is Trump, I am doubtful she will inherit his resiliency.

Also we're not talking about 30% of electorate or likely voters, we're talking 30% of that floor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Some polling shifts among minority voters from that TIPP poll as well as from a Suffolk poll done for USAT.

TIPP:

Suffolk is rosier for Biden's chances, and sees them improving among these groups:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/05/06/biden-trump-tie-hispanic-black-younger-voters/73504174007/

Sorry, but is the TIPP poll comparing actual 2020 election results to 2024 poll numbers? That doesn't make a whole ton of sense. An apples-to-apples comparison would involve comparing their 2024 poll numbers to their 2020 poll numbers.

As for Suffolk, they see him improving because they're comparing April 2024 poll numbers to Jan 2024 poll numbers.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because she, and a lot of these other Chuds are literally insane and don't understand that no, regular people don't summarily execute their dogs

I earnestly think it's something like this. The right is primed to consume lies. She could have said anything. She could have said it never happened. She could have said the dog was old and sick. Witnesses would have contradicted her but she's the one with the platform. You just say "fake news" a few times and you're set.

She wanted to tell people.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'll say this: you would think that indiscrimate dog murder would be the one thing that would be considered beyond the pale by everyone on the political spectrum (save PETA), but it wouldn't surprise me if we get a summer of the most die-hard MAGAs fragging their own beloved family pets in their latest attempt to own the libs.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Sorry, but is the TIPP poll comparing actual 2020 election results to 2024 poll numbers? That doesn't make a whole ton of sense. An apples-to-apples comparison would involve comparing their 2024 poll numbers to their 2020 poll numbers.

As for Suffolk, they see him improving because they're comparing April 2024 poll numbers to Jan 2024 poll numbers.

Good point! I looked up 2020 from the same pollster.

Their 2020 polling right before the election showed Biden with a "black/hispanic" lead of 68 percent to 21 percent for Trump.

But since Black voters weren't separated from Hispanic voters in that survey it's hard to tell the impact among each group.

I think other polling has shown a drop in Biden's support among Blacks & Hispanics this year compared to four years ago, though, if you need me to find them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The cruelty is the point.

They can't distinguish between what is a necessary action that causes harm from something pointlessly cruel and wasteful because they're so fixated on the infliction of suffering.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why would they want her too? I'm not exactly seeing what she brings to the table.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

There are some weird results about issues importance/trust from that ABC/Ipsos poll released yesterday, especially the one about "Protecting democracy," but I guess sentiments toward that issue are sorted by partisanship, too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'll say this: you would think that indiscrimate dog murder would be the one thing that would be considered beyond the pale by everyone on the political spectrum (save PETA), but it wouldn't surprise me if we get a summer of the most die-hard MAGAs fragging their own beloved family pets in their latest attempt to own the libs.

Apparently, indiscriminate dog murder is more common than we might think in America.

That 11% of people who personally knew a dog murderer is pretty close to the 15% who thought it was acceptable for Noem to murder the family dog.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The USAT writeup about the Suffolk polling points out the huge no. of undecideds among various demographics:

quote:

Who's in play? Young voters, Hispanic voters, independents and RFK backers

The strength of the third-party candidates may be built on sand.

Eight in 10 of those supporting Kennedy say they might change their minds before they vote. So do 88% of those supporting independent Cornel West, 65% of those who plan to support the Libertarian nominee, and 58% backing Green Party candidate Jill Stein.

Other swing voters also say they might change their minds before November, including 43% of independents. Nearly half of independent women, 47%, are open to persuasion, one reason the Biden campaign has focused so intently on abortion access as an issue.

Some groups that Democrats rely on in national elections say their minds aren't firmly made up. That includes 37% of Hispanic voters, 27% of Black voters and 44% of voters under 35.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Willa Rogers posted:

There are some weird results about issues importance/trust from that ABC/Ipsos poll released yesterday, especially the one about "Protecting democracy," but I guess sentiments toward that issue are sorted by partisanship, too.

This is grim as it implies the electorate is reactionary/conservative.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I signed up for YouGov and they send me polls every week. I always answer them 100% randomly to get them done asap. In about 1 year I'll be able to cash out my survey points for a $100 gift card to Amazon.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I signed up for YouGov and they send me polls every week. I always answer them 100% randomly to get them done asap. In about 1 year I'll be able to cash out my survey points for a $100 gift card to Amazon.

They test that you're following the questions so you can't answer them all randomly.

I've been asked to respond to 2-3 polls each week, usually one during the week and the other(s) on weekends.

One year for $100 is great but I think maybe you're exaggerating; I've still got a ways to go to get my $15 gc & I've answered most of them in the past two months.

Did you sign up for their spyware thingies to garner extra points? Those were a hard pass for me, lol.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Willa Rogers posted:

They test that you're following the questions so you can't answer them all randomly.

I've been asked to respond to 2-3 polls each week, usually one during the week and the other(s) on weekends.

One year for $100 is great but I think maybe you're exaggerating; I've still got a ways to go to get my $15 gc & I've answered most of them in the past two months.

Did you sign up for their spyware thingies to garner extra points? Those were a hard pass for me, lol.

Oh yeah I see they occasionally say "choose option C so we know you're paying attention" so I just watch for those and rate appropriately but for the rest I just mark a random choice as fast as I can. Sometimes I day dream and stuff or put the phone down so it looks like I'm actually thinking about it if they measure that.

Hard pass on the linking my Netflix account or installing spyware. lol no.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Apparently, indiscriminate dog murder is more common than we might think in America.

That 11% of people who personally knew a dog murderer is pretty close to the 15% who thought it was acceptable for Noem to murder the family dog.

The biggest shock from those numbers are the 19% of those making 100k+ saying they know someone who's killed a healthy dog, which comes across as the rich deciding that they're bored or frustrated or just don't want a dog anymore and have them put down. I would have figured it would have been more of a low income rural attitude, the "dog done poo poo the floor get me the ol' mercygiver" type.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Main Paineframe posted:

Lol that jump in yes as you get to 100K+ in income is special

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh yeah I see they occasionally say "choose option C so we know you're paying attention" so I just watch for those and rate appropriately but for the rest I just mark a random choice as fast as I can. Sometimes I day dream and stuff or put the phone down so it looks like I'm actually thinking about it if they measure that.

Hard pass on the linking my Netflix account or installing spyware. lol no.

Don't you want your views represented in polling, though? What's the point of randomly choosing Trump, eg, instead of Biden if the latter is your choice?

Is it to reinforce beliefs that polling lacks meaning, or is it for other reasons?

(I'm fascinated by polling, as one might guess, so I'm always interested in the approaches others take.)

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

The biggest shock from those numbers are the 19% of those making 100k+ saying they know someone who's killed a healthy dog, which comes across as the rich deciding that they're bored or frustrated or just don't want a dog anymore and have them put down. I would have figured it would have been more of a low income rural attitude, the "dog done poo poo the floor get me the ol' mercygiver" type.

If I had to guess, this is people who purposely take on the most difficult adoption cases, maybe they have enough time and money that they think they can make it work, but it turns out that they're wrong, and behavioral euthanasia is really the only means forward. The question only asks if the dog is healthy, not if it has tons of behavior problems or trauma responses. Maybe I just have self-selection bias of avoiding certain types of people, but almost everyone I know is in that income bracket, and none of them have ever euthanized an animal out of pure inconvenience, let alone 1 in 5 of them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

Don't you want your views represented in polling, though? What's the point of randomly choosing Trump, eg, instead of Biden if the latter is your choice?

Is it to reinforce beliefs that polling lacks meaning, or is it for other reasons?

(I'm fascinated by polling, as one might guess, so I'm always interested in the approaches others take.)

Cause I just don't care tbh. I'm just in it for the eventual $100 gift card and actually reading the questions and answering them takes too much effort.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

edit: forgot i was forumbanned sorry

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is extremely obvious and always has been. If this weren't the case, there would be a credible left-wing movement of some kind. We're still a good 10-20 years from that, assuming we don't devolve into fascism in the interim.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dunno, the fact that Neither is pulling 20%+ across every question is saying a lot.

quote:

A plurality (42%) of Americans feels that the statement “He is honest and trustworthy” does not apply to either Biden or Trump.

This has to be an absolutely unprecedented statistic. People really do not like either of these shitheads.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Great point.

I've also noticed both candidates dropping into the low 40s/high 30s percentage-wise in some g.e. polls, when I'm pretty sure that usually as candidates are chosen as nominees they garner a greater percentage of voters committing to them.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

koolkal posted:

I dunno, the fact that Neither is pulling 20%+ across every question is saying a lot.

This has to be an absolutely unprecedented statistic. People really do not like either of these shitheads.

No, it's just that Republicans are liars and will say this about any Democrat (this explains the plurality of people who distrust Biden) combined with the fact that Trump is the biggest liar in American history (this explains the plurality of people who distrust Trump).

I'm not saying Biden is a trustworthy person, but that 42% is mostly just the very typical fascist denial of reality.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The fascists mostly just say "no trump is totally honest and trustworthy," I'm not sure how represented they are in the both category.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No, it's just that Republicans are liars and will say this about any Democrat (this explains the plurality of people who distrust Biden) combined with the fact that Trump is the biggest liar in American history (this explains the plurality of people who distrust Trump).

I'm not saying Biden is a trustworthy person, but that 42% is mostly just the very typical fascist denial of reality.

Just to clarify a bit, the 42% is not 42% of people find Biden untrustworthy and 42% find Trump untrustworthy, it's that 42% find BOTH untrustworthy. 37% find Biden more trustworthy and 21% find Trump more trustworthy if you want to know where the other 58% land.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

The fascists mostly just say "no trump is totally honest and trustworthy," I'm not sure how represented they are in the both category.

Yeah, Republicans right now are a coalition of Trump-loving MAGAs and those who don't directly like to celebrate him but don't consider him enough of a deal breaker to vote Democrat or stay home. Which is still backing fascism in end results, but it's a difference in polling like this because one will say "Trump tells it like it is and they hate him for it" and the other will say "Oh, politicians are all crooks, but one set of crooks will preserve your freedoms and the other will sell us to China."

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Macklemore posted a video music today about Palestine and all proceeds go to Palestine, he has quite the following. The video does also include him discouraging people from voting for Biden, I don't think Biden realizes HOW MANY voters he is losing to defend a fascist government and deliver us to a fascist government because he can't figure out his middle east policy is BAD.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Celexi posted:

Macklemore posted a video music today about Palestine and all proceeds go to Palestine, he has quite the following. The video does also include him discouraging people from voting for Biden, I don't think Biden realizes HOW MANY voters he is losing to defend a fascist government and deliver us to a fascist government because he can't figure out his middle east policy is BAD.

How many?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 11, 2024

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Papercut posted:

How many?

look at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election_in_Washington_(state) from 2016 and you will notice that too many young people staying home or not voting will be bad. Now, it is unlikely that will be enough to flip Washington state where he heralds from and has a huge following but Macklemore aside the negative feeling about Biden policies in swing states will be catastrophic for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Celexi posted:

look at this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election_in_Washington_(state) from 2016 and you will notice that too many young people staying home or not voting will be bad. Now, it is unlikely that will be enough to flip Washington state where he heralds from and has a huge following but Macklemore aside the negative feeling about Biden policies in swing states will be catastrophic for him.

Is this more than the number of people who would vote against him for not supporting Israel?