Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Before I realised it was a glass of whiskey I thought you had him fantasising about a tin of wood varnish, which kinda works as well

You can change it however you want, not as if Starmer doesn’t change his mind all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Edit it to be the bag of wet eggs.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Galloway on fine form here

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1787481097011409369?s=46

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

What even is a student loan :skeltal:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A miserable little pile of securities.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

a live well lived :hai:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I doubt Lenin would mind, being dead and all.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The good old days of Swinson and Brexit are BACK baby

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1787477415465460059?s=46

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i would actually like this election to be over and done with, it ought to be happening around now imo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

trying to guess which one he's going for out of "how disrespectful :mad:", "i can't be homophobic i was in a gay bar once" or "russia can't be homophobic they had a gay bar once"

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

trying to guess which one he's going for out of "how disrespectful :mad:", "i can't be homophobic i was in a gay bar once" or "russia can't be homophobic they had a gay bar once"

The third one was my immediate takeaway - "They say that Russia is an authoritarian hyper-conservative kleptocracy, but I've been to a gay bar there so it can't be the case".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

smellmycheese posted:

The squirrels of the UK are on notice

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“IM NOT HOMOPHOBIC BECAUSE I WAS IN A GAY BAR METRES FROM LENINS TOMB THROWING SHAPES TO YMCA” is one of the greatest lines from a politician ever

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

I'd go with second, because he's had some criticism lately for saying "they shouldn't teach children about gay people, just normal things" in an interview so he's probably trying to save face by going "I was at a gay bar with Lenin and the Village People so I can't be homophobic!" (third one is a strong option though)

Also he said he's able to protect two of his kids from being taught about abnormal gayness by sending them to a Catholic school. Virgin birth? Totally fine for kids to learn about. One of the kids in class has two dads? Unexplainable mystery!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Watch them gently caress this so hard the tories somehow end up delaying the election another year.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Libdems give tories another year in government in exchange for more dog litter bins.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

unless you can get another 20-odd MPs to defect in the next day or so it's obviously going to be nothing but a stunt, but it might waste a bit of time the tories could otherwise use passing awful legislation so I guess it's good for a lark

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If you’re a Tory MP now why wouldn’t you defect TBH, unless you’re in one of the most Tory seats in the country it seems like an obvious move

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
if enough tories defected could labour just become the government?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I enjoy "Academic learning & common sense are not the same thing." presented as some sort of own in the most straightforward way I've seen in a while.

She's right though, they're not the same thing. One uses comparison, source analysis, statistical methods, and as Newton said "standing on the shoulders of giants", whereas the other just uses preconceived sociocultural biases and assuming that you're right rather than taking any attempt to minimize those.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

TACD posted:

If you’re a Tory MP now why wouldn’t you defect TBH, unless you’re in one of the most Tory seats in the country it seems like an obvious move

Nobody likes a turncoat. I can't casually remember any recent defector actually retaining their seat at the next general election. Plus, parachuting defectors into safe seats in front of party members who have done the time to earn it would be disasterous for morale. Not that I think Starmer wouldn't do it if he thought it might get him half a point in the polls.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Spending three years detached from the real world spending someone else's money is not always the best start to adult life. Unless when it's PPE students in a bubble of social clubs for toffs spending their parents' cash on cocaine, then they should be made prime minister

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Soylent Yellow posted:

Nobody likes a turncoat. I can't casually remember any recent defector actually retaining their seat at the next general election. Plus, parachuting defectors into safe seats in front of party members who have done the time to earn it would be disasterous for morale. Not that I think Starmer wouldn't do it if he thought it might get him half a point in the polls.

Lol. Keith wouldn’t give the tiniest fleck of turd

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't he already do that with the last tory defector?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Didn't he already do that with the last tory defector?

Isn't that tory defector (Christian Wakeford) now a Labour Whip? Yes - I just checked.

Oh I think there's been another defector since then a week or so ago but I can't recall his name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah yeah that was it, and he is presumably the labour candidate for that constituency now. Bet they'll have fun campaigning for him.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMAO he's been a Tory MP there for 25 years.

Also he wanted to ban Roger Waters (the Pink Floyd writer/bassist) from performing for being anti-Israeli.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i know labour are polling really well but they literally don't have any policies right? I know they have the fake rail nationalisation one but do they have a single other position even?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

They don’t have any policies but they do have a lot of ex-policies and pledges they’ve walked back on, which actually makes them even more electable because of what a difficult and adult decision each U-turn is

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i know labour are polling really well but they literally don't have any policies right? I know they have the fake rail nationalisation one but do they have a single other position even?

It's whatever tories do but with more injured dignity

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

I quite like this, because it means you get a load of tories on record supporting the government, even though they will presumably try to distance themselves from Rishi Sunak at the election

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Private Speech posted:

LMAO he's been a Tory MP there for 25 years.

Also he wanted to ban Roger Waters (the Pink Floyd writer/bassist) from performing for being anti-Israeli.

Waters may be anti-Zionist, but he's also pro-Putin so I'm not unhappy with that ban.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Private Speech posted:

The one thats spent the last 3 years sucking putin off?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

Waters may be anti-Zionist, but he's also pro-Putin so I'm not unhappy with that ban.

Yes, I'm sure the state banning artists for their heterodox political views isn't a slippery slope that would end up with someone with the politics of a Billy Bragg getting banned. Don't be a daft oval office.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Fumble posted:

Yep, the oval office can go gently caress himself. :ukraine:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fumble posted:

He didn't want to ban Waters for Putin related statements, he wanted to ban him for taking a stand against a Zionist ethnostate with a lust for ethnic cleansing. If you can't see why that's troubling but instead hold that it'd be fine because he has another, unrelated, garbage opinion then you're a daft oval office too.

You know what you do with artists who take stances you disagree with? Boycott the tickets, don't give them any money, you can even protest outside the venue. Plenty of black metal shows have been cancelled because of local outrage at fash being tolerated. You don't want a suitcase wanker like Starmer deciding who can and cannot perform because it won't go well

Honestly, the naivete is staggering.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Black metal should be banned until they stop recording albums through call-centre headsets

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

Black metal should be banned

recording myself slurping a milkshake with the microphone on a 3210

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, I'm sure the state banning artists for their heterodox political views isn't a slippery slope that would end up with someone with the politics of a Billy Bragg getting banned. Don't be a daft oval office.

If they'll do that they don't need a slippery slope to get there. But you can take the remark in the spirit of "when two of the worst people you know collide" - after all, Waters wasn't banned for the correct reason. And I'm sure we can all appreciate the irony of a guy who supports one genocide being banned for not supporting another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

forkboy84 posted:

He didn't want to ban Waters for Putin related statements, he wanted to ban him for taking a stand against a Zionist ethnostate with a lust for ethnic cleansing. If you can't see why that's troubling but instead hold that it'd be fine because he has another, unrelated, garbage opinion then you're a daft oval office too.

You know what you do with artists who take stances you disagree with? Boycott the tickets, don't give them any money, you can even protest outside the venue. Plenty of black metal shows have been cancelled because of local outrage at fash being tolerated. You don't want a suitcase wanker like Starmer deciding who can and cannot perform because it won't go well

Honestly, the naivete is staggering.

if george galloway could carry a tune would you love hime too?