Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm still bitter that exia repair didn't stick around longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I really don't like 00S2 but it has some really cool setpieces and fights.

I mainly resent it around the same amount as Destiny because I didn't really care about SEED so Destiny being really bad is whatever. I really liked 00S1 so the large dropoff in quality hurts more, especially when it moved away from a lot of the things I liked about S1.

Still have an RG 00 Raiser and a MG 00 Raiser and I'll main that thing in every VS game I play no matter how bad it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll say it, I think Freedom is a more entertainingly absolutely batshit Gundam movie than Trailblazer.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Most of what I've heard about Freedom sounds really funny outside of the rape stuff which is just edgy garbage. It definitely sounds bad but it least sounds like a really entertaining thing to watch while Trailblazer is just boring.

Shinn's stuff also just genuinely sounds good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

RevolverDivider posted:

Most of what I've heard about Freedom sounds really funny outside of the rape stuff which is just edgy garbage.

Can someone who’s seen/read about this speak more about this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

A bad guy with mind control powers kidnaps Lacus and tries to assault her. She smacktalks him so hard as he tries that he runs away in shame.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Will report in tomorrow evening after I’ve gotten the chance to see the movie

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I really don't think 00 S2 is nearly as bad as a lot of folks in this thread want to claim, its got a bit of "we did this already" when it comes to the plot points, but it has a number of cool sequences, Lockon 2 actually gets a legit character arc that is tied to his brother, and the while it gets wacky with the whole innovades bullshit at least that's something newish for Gundam even if a lot of what gets done is classic reuse of Gundam bits.

Its entertaining Gundam stuff on the whole, i really don't get why people act like its just barely above Destiny.

It's not the worst Gundam has to offer, it's just a 6/10 and incredibly disappointing as a follow up to season 1. In a vacuum I would have had a perfectly whatever time with it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The worst thing in S2 is the uniforms, hideous.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

The worst thing in S2 is the uniforms, hideous.

You know it’s set two years later because everyone looks longer.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The 00 vs reborns fight is like my second favorite fight in the franchise. It rules.

Also the emergency break turn from lockon owns.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spoilered since Guyver is still going through WFM:

Happy 1st birthday/anniversary to my permanent emotional damage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Freedom has grossed over 4.5 billion yen in Japanese theaters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I hope I'm not dead in 20 years so I too can see a long overdue sequel film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ImpAtom posted:

A bad guy with mind control powers kidnaps Lacus and tries to assault her. She smacktalks him so hard as he tries that he runs away in shame.

Okay, thank you for the explanation!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It went from my City not showing Seed Freedom to it showing it so I guess I'm in for the wild ride.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gundam Seed Freedom review: of all the Gundam movies, it was the most recent. Had some fun moments and the robot fights were pretty to look at. The character designs are profoundly ugly, the lipstick on the women didn't work at all. There was some dumb stuff, and they made the common sequel mistake of giving everyone a bit part rather than focusing on a smaller number of people and relegating everyone else to present in background. It's the sequel Destiny deserved though I'd still have preferred Shinn's Counterattack. Low mid tier Gundam in my book. I did chuckle at one of the Black Knights basically saying "none shall pass."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok, even I wasn’t expecting it to be that good.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
SEED Freedom is the funniest Gundam movie ever.

I can't believe that bad guy's plan hinged on mind control cucking Kira, and he almost just let's it happen because he's too sad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gundam Seed Freedom is extremely good.

It really feels like they had a broad outline for a third season of Gundam Seed that they decided to do as a movie. But instead of becoming a confusing mess like F91, it works out very well by just forcing the movie to move at a very brisk pace.

It's hit a kind of sweet spot with the characters, where enough time has passed since the originals that they're willing to poke fun at their foibles while still respecting them and their journeys. And the new characters get time to shine and be memorable too, like Agnes Giebenrath, The Woman Who Causes Problems.

And the whole third act is just a fantastic spectacle. Every single character gets at least one cool moment, you've got Lacus doing loving Buster Machine poo poo, Mu La Flaga getting too drat old for this making the impossible possible poo poo, Super Z'Gok just absolutely wrecking a spaceport, Athrun doing the Overman King Gainer trick for fooling psychics, it's just so much and it's all very fun

And I gotta give a big preemptive congratulations to the winner of 2025's best Gundam character twitter tournament, Unnamed Dark-Skinned Compass Soldier! He gets 7 seconds of screentime and utterly dominates them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I've been seeing a few times now that showtimes in Canada are playing the dubbed version without stating that they're dubbed. Also that Canada wasn't even supposed to get the dub. I'm not surprised about weird release hiccups after that story last week about the fan who traveled to another country only to discover Bandai forgot to send the theater the movie. Any Canadians go see the film at Cineplex and it was in English by surprise?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

So I've been seeing a few times now that showtimes in Canada are playing the dubbed version without stating that they're dubbed. Also that Canada wasn't even supposed to get the dub. I'm not surprised about weird release hiccups after that story last week about the fan who traveled to another country only to discover Bandai forgot to send the theater the movie. Any Canadians go see the film at Cineplex and it was in English by surprise?

Yeah it was dubbed in my province/city as well. It stated subbed when I bought the tickets.

Me and my brother watched it. It was pure melodramatic trash but enjoyable. I was not expecting so much poo poo about love and deserving to be loved though. poo poo got old fast.

Also Agnes SUCKS. Holy poo poo I was actively hoping she would just get shot.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 8, 2024

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Lunamaria is pretty funny in Seed Freedom

Like, Agnes's bullshit is so unserious and I love how Lunamaria calls her out all the time

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

Yeah it was dubbed in my province/city as well. It stated subbed when I bought the tickets.

Huh, I wonder if that's a cineplex-wide trend, then. I'm ambivalent about the dub name pronunciations but I'd still be annoyed if the film i paid to see showed me a version different than what the ticket stated.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Me and my brother watched it. It was pure melodramatic trash but enjoyable. I was not expecting so much poo poo about love and deserving to be loved though. poo poo got old fast.

Also Agnes SUCKS. Holy poo poo I was actively hoping she would just get shot.

Ditto here. I was wondering if I was just stupid given that I also nearly drove to the wrong theatre, but no, that seems to just be the one they had. Looks like they flipped the days maybe?. Dubbed was okay though the way they say lacus made me think of the last Airbender. I'm 99% sure the original dub didn't pronounce it Lah-koo-suh

Overall, extremely solid gundam movie. It got a bit long in the tooth, particularly with some of the scenes with the villain (we get it, he doesn't know what love is) and the middle section but I can't say there was a point in the movie that was bad.

My big take away is that C.E. Remains a poo poo hole universe. Another war will start five minutes after this one does. The movie doesn't claim the bad guy is a an Al La Flaga clone but I'm head canoning that right in because this villain was just as bat poo poo as Rau.

The SA stuff mention upthread wasn't bad. They show a shot of cleavage as a guy gets grabby, but it isn't played to be particularly titillating and is clearly supposed to be a bad thing. Lacus is a low point as always and Kira is only moderately better than he was in Destiny. Athrun exists in the movie and has a couple of solid one liners and a solid moment toward the end.

The stand out winner is Shinn. The movie takes every opportunity to poo poo on him during the run time. Characters openly making fun of him about past failures etc. Strong 'You are right, but you shouldn't say it" energy. He is constantly a tremendous dork, but it works because we've never really seen Shinn when he isn't a hate filled goblin. It retroactively improves my opinion of him in Destiny, because every time he makes an idiot choice I can just assume he was too focused on Baby Shark looping on repeat in his head.

He is God's strongest little himbo soldier. The orange tabby of mobile suit pilots. And, spoilers...

They give him his wins for it to pay off. He does adequately the whole movie, always a step behind Kira of course, but he does a decent job with what he has.

Then in the finale he gets the destiny back, is insanely excited and just goes to town on the villains. Fully half of them die by his hands in the destiny, complete with a 'we can't read his mind because it is so empty' joke. My boi gets poo poo done and I am here for it.

Edit: The bad is named Orphee Lam Tao, prime minister of the Kingdom of Foundation and Kira works for the Compulsory Observational Making Peace Service (COMPS, pronounced Compass). Never change Gundam SEED.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 8, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Its probably the best Seed anime and while it's so very dumb in places it's fitting for the story and the movies energy carries it. And Lacus and Kira piloting the Gundam at the end works. Fun watch even if it's not my favorite Gundam movie

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Perhaps the worst Houko Kuwashima role in SEED, you hate to see it.

e: Thought about Stella some more so idk how mean I can be to Agnes, but c'mon man.

haypliss fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 8, 2024

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Shinn was by far the best part of this movie. plus with all the bullshit in destiny with kira smoking everyone it was great to see him get his rear end kicked constantly

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Shinn was by far the best part of this movie. plus with all the bullshit in destiny with kira smoking everyone it was great to see him get his rear end kicked constantly

For all the bluster of 'the mobile suit doesn't determine the victor' Kira was consistently getting his poo poo kicked in by stronger mobile suits until he got the backpack that turns the Freedom into a walking superweapon.

Also a bit interesting to see that phase shift has some other limiter besides power. Sufficiently beating on it is apparently enough to cause phase shift down. Mikazuki fans will be delighted.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Caros posted:

Also a bit interesting to see that phase shift has some other limiter besides power. Sufficiently beating on it is apparently enough to cause phase shift down. Mikazuki fans will be delighted.

That was a thing from day 1.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Argas posted:

That was a thing from day 1.

Maybe I'm just blanking... but when?

Phase shift could be knocked out by beating on it until it ran out of power, but the only nuclear suit to ever power down mid combat was the Destiny in a continuity error they cleared up by saying 'it was a prototype and something borked'. Always felt functionally inviolate in SEED and Destiny.

I suppose Shinn also manages two stab based victories against the freedom and destroy, but they 'fix' those in the remaster by adding a beam tip to the anti-ship sword. when it doesn't have it anywhere else.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 8, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also I get why the Lacus stuff popped off with fan artists in Japan cause the finale just works in that over the top anime way. It actually felt Symphogear like in a way

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Caros posted:

Maybe I'm just blanking... but when?

Phase shift could be knocked out by beating on it until it ran out of power, but the only nuclear suit to ever power down mid combat was the Destiny in a continuity error they cleared up by saying 'it was a prototype and something borked'. Always felt functionally inviolate in SEED and Destiny.

Misinterpreted what you meant, sorry.

Anyway just use beams. ez

Caros
May 14, 2008

Argas posted:

Misinterpreted what you meant, sorry.

Anyway just use beams. ez

S'all good. I legitimately didn't know. For years I had it in my head that Freedom got its head knocked off by one of the druggies in the original, and only on the rewatch did I notice it was because it got shot in the head which wrecked its phase shift. Wouldn't have shocked me to know I missed something else.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Athrun steals the whole movie. All of the best scenes are because of him

The SEED Z'Gok being the Justice in a trenchcoat, kicking Kira's rear end, blocking mind control with the power of horny. Absolute king.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caros posted:

For all the bluster of 'the mobile suit doesn't determine the victor' Kira was consistently getting his poo poo kicked in by stronger mobile suits until he got the backpack that turns the Freedom into a walking superweapon.

This was also a thing in Destiny, where Kira briefly takes the Strike Rouge out for a spin against a bunch of bleeding edge mobile suits and gets absolutely rocked.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
This movie was terrible and I could spend hours writing about all the ways it's god awful, but despite that I mostly had a good time and laughed a bunch. And a few of those laughs were at things the movie wanted me to laugh at, which was more than I expected

The one thing I couldn't get past was Lacus and Kira spend the whole movie going "love isn't about who's the best or most worthy" when Lacus is just textually a eugenics baby designed to be the most perfect possible ruler of the world. And though she says she isn't going to follow that path, COMPS isn't really that far off! She's president of this force that has access to all these superweapons and intervenes wherever and however they want without oversight. Obviously that's not exactly the same as "ruler of the world" but her denial would have more oomph if she was just a tradwife like she is in the scene Fukuda said was his favorite for some reason or an idol or whatever, and not leader of the CIA

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I don't know if it was the subtitles having a weird translation, but Shinn calling Kira "Mr. Kira" is really funny to me for some reason. Shinn rocks in this movie. He defeated mind reading on two separate occasions by first being "no thoughts head empty" and the second time because "his darkness/trauma is too deep"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doesn't seem that weird to me. Gundam is always calling people Mr this and Ms that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

He was calling him Commodore and Commander up to that point, it was just funny given how much has changed since Destiny