Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

if you're embarrassed of your hobbys well i just dont know

Well maybe I don't want to meet someone who shares my interests. I hate my interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FWIW if someone says they're super into watching Japanese wrestling or deathmatches they're going to get significantly weirder looks than if they say they watched The Rock at Wrestlemania.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

FWIW if someone says they're super into watching Japanese wrestling or deathmatches they're going to get significantly weirder looks than if they say they watched The Rock at Wrestlemania.

From my experience most people love when I talk about Japanese and deathmatch wrestling. They like to hear about a world they never even knew existed. No one gives a poo poo if you watch wwe.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

nah lol.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Suplex Liberace posted:

Yeah seriously. People are into all kinds of stuff. All my coworkers know I like wrestling and when I tell them I was a wrestler people just think it's cool. It mostly leads to people sometimes talking about classic WWF or Cena-era WWE, or watching cool lucha clips. I got my old boss to buy All In last year and he loved it. :shrug: Wrestling is cool, and I can't imagine being so miserable that you simultaneously spend eight hours a day in this forum posting but also can't imagine talking about things that should excite you to other people. Surround yourself with better folks and fill your life with joy!

And seriously, everyone likes cool spots and lucha flips. Everyone. If they don't they're stupid and dumb :colbert:

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I think if we could collectively pivot the angle to "I like wrestling because it's beautiful absurd joyous dance/theatre, and a lot of the time basically slapstick comedy", then we would all have an easier time. Instead wrestling fans have been convinced by podcasters that wrestling must take itself seriously at all times, and anything other that is heresy, making its fandom look increasingly ridiculous to anyone looking in from the outside

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

wrestling is fun and its doubly fun when its also extremely stupid. king of sports

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

turning around the concept of CM Punk being the restaurant manager that was stuck in the bathroom during Ric Flair's restaurant tirade in my mind and lolling

lol

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Joey McChrist posted:

wrestling is fun and its doubly fun when its also extremely stupid. king of sports

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

wrestling owns because its serialized, live, blurs fiction and reality, features easy-to-understand narratives that invite discussion and speculation, is participatory, is physically impressive, epic battleborn heroes

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Honestly, it's all the same to most people. The thing about wrestling is that no matter how big it gets, it's still a niche, because not only do most people not watch it, they're not even curious about it. The portion of the population who think about professional wrestling fewer than once per year is like 7, maybe even 8 out of 10. Of the remaining 2, maybe one of them has seen a WrestleMania in the last five years. Meanwhile, if you believe the Nielsen ratings, the people who watch every week add up to maybe like a tenth of a person.

"Oh, but think of how often it gets referenced in popular culture!" I guarantee you it gets rinsed by poo poo like the MCU and even Dragon Ball Z in that department.

To the great washed majority, Stone Cold Steve Austin and FMW are equally outside of their experience.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 6, 2024

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You should have to pull out 6+ of my fingernails to get me to admit to having watched even one anime

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I talk about the things my coworkers want to talk about because its the easiest way for a brokebrain to get by, being a passenger in every conversation. I can infodump here and in other fan spaces

I am glad others are better than me, you def should be lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I only allow myself to have two public Weird Guy hobbies and I already burned that at work on The Grateful Dead and old 1930s cartoons, I don’t need Janet from billing engaging me about Big Bill

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I only allow myself to have two public Weird Guy hobbies and I already burned that at work on The Grateful Dead and old 1930s cartoons, I don’t need Janet from billing engaging me about Big Bill

Janet sounds cool buy her an account

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

Janet sounds cool buy her an account

She’s fine. She wants me to buy her couch.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

NienNunb posted:

Steamboat Willie was the original Big Bill, if you think about it.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I've stopped telling people I watch wrestling because I absolutely do not want to talk about WWE and that's the only thing most people know.

I've had a lot of success showing Jun Kasai matches at parties though when everyone's buzzed up and full of energy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Me and a co-worker used to take people from work to shows and they pretty much always loved it. Some of our coworkers were in the front row for the second AEW show, it was their first wrestling show, and they loved it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

How many of you watch wrestling with significant others? My gf will tolerate WWE because she likes the pageantry of the entrances and thinks Cody and Roman and The Rock are handsome, but she mostly zones out during the matches, both because it's not really her thing and because she thinks it's too violent, so keeping it PG with the Fed is probably the only option.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Tampa Bae posted:

I've stopped telling people I watch wrestling because I absolutely do not want to talk about WWE and that's the only thing most people know.

I've had a lot of success showing Jun Kasai matches at parties though when everyone's buzzed up and full of energy

You could just explain the wrestling you do watch.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

How many of you watch wrestling with significant others? My gf will tolerate WWE because she likes the pageantry of the entrances and thinks Cody and Roman and The Rock are handsome, but she mostly zones out during the matches, both because it's not really her thing and because she thinks it's too violent, so keeping it PG with the Fed is probably the only option.

Wife hates wrestling. I'm only allowed to watch PPVs on peacock when she is home. Everything else has to be on my own time or when she is in bed.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Unfortunately my only wrestling watching co-worker is also my only chud co-worker.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kennel posted:

Unfortunately my only wrestling watching co-worker is also my only chud co-worker.

So a Fedhead? :chord:

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
my girlfriend watches wrestling.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

My partner watches AEW weekly and with me when she can. It took 15 years together before she even gave it a chance. But she likes AEW

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

She finds it boring on TV but enjoys going to a show. Her biggest complaint is that wrestling is too predictable and so she doesn't really get into the stories or the story of the match. As she puts it you know they're going to kick out unless it's a finisher and that's boring. Loves the synchronized gymnastics aspect of it and it's how she usually describes it to people who don't really know anything about wrestling, it's synchronized gymnastics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My wife will pop in now and then and enjoys going to indie shows with me sometimes. She was at the Raw where Edge retired (well before we met).

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

One of the first things my fiancee and I did when we started dating was a competitive wrestling predictions league between the two of us. She's kind of gone in waves; watched the WWE as a teenager and through her twenties, fell off the WWE but got into NXT (we went to a couple NXT house shows in the earlier days, they were great times), fell off NXT but got real into AEW when it started, fell off it over all the Punk drama. She still drops in for an AEW show here and there these days (she was not missing Sting's retirement) but our spreadsheet is 8+ years old and we still do picks for all the cards we're not even remotely going to watch. There is a championship belt in the closet.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I met my partner more-or-less because of our shared love of wrestling. The 24/7 wrestling channel was their idea, and so was Wrestle Universe (which got us both back into watching full time). They watch more Ganbare Pro and DDT than I do tbh. We watch AEW together but they're pretty tired after work since they get up early on weekdays so I'm usually the one who is engaged as they drift in and out. They always start hot and then fall asleep in the second hour :lol:

Her favorites are RUSH, Swerve, Shoko Nakajima, and Toni Storm. :hai:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

My wife and I really got close going to PWG shows and our honeymoon was in japan so we could go to wrestlekingdom.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I don't recall any of my previous girlfriends ever being into wrestling. They might watch it if I had it on but never seeked it out or asked many questions about it. Never really a problem though since I can watch just about anything and be fine which is how I got into trashy reality TV, K-dramas, Game of Thrones, etc

Mr Hootington posted:

You could just explain the wrestling you do watch.
Telling someone who only watches WWE what I like doesn't seem that productive when they've only seen john cena and roman reigns matches, I'd rather just talk about sports or tv shows

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

my wife does not like wrestling except for Jack Perry. she is a slight variation of the wrestling fandom rule of 'determines if she will cheer for someone by observing them for 1.5 seconds' -- early on in my AEW watching, she entered the room once when jack perry was on tv, it caught her attention, i explained who he was, and she left the room after the segment. "Luke Perry's Son" is the protagonist of AEW to her now and she has no interest in learning anything else about wrestling. if she comes into the room while i'm watching wrestling, she will ask me what Jack Perry is doing on this episode. she is only tangentially aware of the CM Punk/Jack Perry thing because it was touched on by some podcast she listens to, somehow.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Answers Me posted:

In other Ric Flair news:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/other-wrestling/ric-flair-believes-he-suffered-heart-attack-during-last-match

Poor guy, came so close to what I’m sure is his dream way to go out

Flair entering the rarefied air of Kimbo Slice/Dada 5000.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 minutes!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah seriously. People are into all kinds of stuff. All my coworkers know I like wrestling and when I tell them I was a wrestler people just think it's cool. It mostly leads to people sometimes talking about classic WWF or Cena-era WWE, or watching cool lucha clips. I got my old boss to buy All In last year and he loved it. :shrug: Wrestling is cool, and I can't imagine being so miserable that you simultaneously spend eight hours a day in this forum posting but also can't imagine talking about things that should excite you to other people. Surround yourself with better folks and fill your life with joy!

And seriously, everyone likes cool spots and lucha flips. Everyone. If they don't they're stupid and dumb :colbert:
drat I didn't know Erin was going to call me out for posting on here 8 hours a day but here we are.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Every time Ric Flair has a heart attack, an angel gets it's WOOings

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

Wearing the Cradle of Filth "Jesus is a oval office" shirt but getting too mealy-mouthed and embarrassed to admit I stayed up until 6am to watch Japanese wrestling.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Every time Ric Flair has a heart attack, an angel gets it's WOOings

lol

Dimebags Brain posted:

Wearing the Cradle of Filth "Jesus is a oval office" shirt but getting too mealy-mouthed and embarrassed to admit I stayed up until 6am to watch Japanese wrestling.

lol

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dimebags Brain posted:

I wore a Cannibal Corpse t shirt to brunch when i was 19 to be a lil stinker and people were delighted by it, egg on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

History Comes Inside! posted:

People absolutely still do the “you know it’s all fake right” thing

I’ve had coworkers explain to me that the blood is all movie magic and then taken great delight in showing them the most hosed deathmatch poo poo and asking them to point out the special effects

I'm pretty sure some dipshit journalist did that in Perth the other month.