Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Scarabrae posted:

SHE’S YELLEN BECAUSE HE’S BARKIN

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
barkin up the wrong money tree

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

on the plus side, these write-offs meant I didn't pay any income tax for years

on the minus side, I didn't rake up enough quarters of SS contributions to be eligible before moving out of the country, so I won't be able to return upon retirement lol

Do they pay musicians as contractors instead of W2 employees in the U.S.? (Guessing that of course they do.)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Willa Rogers posted:

Do they pay musicians as contractors instead of W2 employees in the U.S.? (Guessing that of course they do.)

unless you’re working for the cruise lines

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

it depends, but you're always going to have a ton of 1099s until you score big, because the smaller regional orchestras don't pay poo poo, so you have to do a lot of teaching / freelancing / table waiting to make rent.

it's also more prestigious if you skip the small orchestras altogether and keep doing competitions and bespoke projects while you're waiting / auditioning for a major chair, but you need a rich family to support you

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Every professional musician I know is always doing tutoring to actually make enough money to survive.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

those who can't make rent, teach

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

20% of Americans making $100k per year say they know somebody who has slain a healthy dog

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

One sign that things aren't going well is that there has been tons of broken traffic lights around town lately. They're not on a major arteries roadway but rather in some not regularly used intersections, but without the lights there's now a traffic jam around those intersection. Just in the past week there was 5 I saw and today saw a intersection that was broke flashing red for nearly over 1 1/2 hour and still had nobody come by to start working on it lol.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
i see downed road signs and walk-signs on the regular. I can’t tell if there are just more incidents, less folks to fix it, or a combination of both

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nonsense posted:

20% of Americans making $100k per year say they know somebody who has slain a healthy dog

Henry's equally as guilty

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Nybble posted:

i see downed road signs and walk-signs on the regular. I can’t tell if there are just more incidents, less folks to fix it, or a combination of both

auto accidents and drunk driving have been significantly up since covid

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

holefoods posted:

People figured out that the social contract is fake and you can just do what you want

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

holefoods posted:

once every few months someone takes out the railroad cross sign/arm on a main arterial here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve noticed a big uptick in wiped out guard rails

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

The demand for the Frito-Lays strike was to go from 7 day work weeks with mandatory overtime to 6 day weeks with mandatory overtime, and no more scheduling 3 shifts within a 24 hour period.

Labor is in a sad sad state.

Americans are bitches.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Barkin But She Still Yellen

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

shes yellen but you cant hear over all the barkin

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I'm dead serious, we need to appoint this guy to the Fed too somehow https://twitter.com/rcwhalen

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

NeonPunk posted:

One sign that things aren't going well is that there has been tons of broken traffic lights around town lately. They're not on a major arteries roadway but rather in some not regularly used intersections, but without the lights there's now a traffic jam around those intersection. Just in the past week there was 5 I saw and today saw a intersection that was broke flashing red for nearly over 1 1/2 hour and still had nobody come by to start working on it lol.

This isn't reflected in the GDP and therefore is not real. :colbert:

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

it's also more prestigious if you skip the small orchestras altogether and keep doing competitions and bespoke projects while you're waiting / auditioning for a major chair, but you need a rich family to support you

This seems to be every fine art, and half of academia.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

This isn't reflected in the GDP and therefore is not real. :colbert:

helps the gdp: more destroyed signs means more revenue

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People figured out that the social contract is fake and you can just do what you want

also lotta cops explicitly checked out of the "maintaining public order" part of their jobs so they only do policing when they feel like it, so as long as you're white and look rich enough to have a lawyer you actually can do whatever without consequence

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
Do NOT agree to work late to complete an e-module on economics

I feel like I'm developing a nosebleed.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

what if we identified people with unlimited wants and... limited them.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

CCTVPLUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3fLLXSXQZA

China-made warehouse robots ease labor shortage for Japan's logistics industry

More and more factories in Japan are using Chinese-made warehouse robots to boost logistics as companies face a lack of workers.

At a sprawling e-commerce warehouse in Tokyo, robots are used to retrieve and move products. Human parcel workers place items into the robot's basket based on information on the robots' display screen. The robots deliver the items to designated areas where they're double checked and packed by humans.
The warehouse's manager said one worker can sort about 100 parcels per hour with the help of a robot, roughly 10 times the amount without one.

Yoshihiko Nakamura, person in charge, logistics warehouse:

"Costs involved in sorting and delivery have been reduced by 40 percent to 50 percent. In terms of staff numbers, we used to need 80 to 100 staff members in pure-manual sorting and delivery, while now we only need 10 to 20. The cost savings is enough to pay for the robots."

Starting this month, Japan is limiting overtime for truck drivers to 960 hours per year, raising concerns of possible logistics disruptions.

Faced with these concerns and a shrinking labor force, many companies are choosing to incorporate robots into their production facilities.

According to Japanese media, by 2030, the country's autonomous guided robot market is expected to reach 770 million U.S. dollars.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I mentioned earlier that I was noticing a lot of "new lower price" at the grocery store, though this highlights more "discretionary" and not "necessary" items. Makes me thing of the cart posted earlier of all the "excess savings" is now gone. Businesses clawed all that money their way, the orgy is over.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/05/business/retailers-cutting-prices/index.html

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

this is what Bank of america analysts are fighting against

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

those who can't make rent, teach

those who teach, can't make rent.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.popsci.com/technology/rural-cell-loss/

quote:

Rural and Indigenous communities are at risk of losing cell service thanks to a 2019 law intended to strip US telecom networks of Chinese-made equipment. And while local companies were promised reimbursements as part of the “rip-and-replace” program, many of them have so far seen little of the funding, if any at all.

Whoops!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Another victory in the war to make the lives of rural chuds as miserable as possible. Maybe learn to code, idiots?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sinophobia few

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

This is what MBA guys 'learn' and then willingly work triple digit hour weeks because they think they matter lmao

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

DaysBefore posted:

This is what MBA guys 'learn' and then willingly work triple digit hour weeks because they think they matter lmao

It began with "many of you are here to learn this so you can make the world a better place through better informing policy decisions" 🥴

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

lol if you think they work OT for anything but more money, more money, and that sweet, sweet EOY bonus

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
How are these the best paid people in the world?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

How are these the best paid people in the world?

wtf is the correct answer

other than not A

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Is the economy really held up by all of the investment banker analysts that need to be on hand, 24/7 365, at full intensity forever and always to investment bank with peak intensity and effectiveness at any nanosecond?

What are these thousands of people doing with investment banking analysis that requires 18+ hours a day forever? No weekends off ever because every Saturday at 8pm someone might need some critical investment banking analysis? Every Saturday forever? Just emergency critical investment banking analysis that is needed every minute of every day?

Just infinite never-ending investment banking analysis that is so involved and necessary we have people dying to attempt the workload.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

AARD VARKMAN posted:

wtf is the correct answer

other than not A

C.

Idk why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What if you are really hungry and it's the only restaurant in town that has your favorite dish, shrimp etouffee