Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Every lance needs a (Master) Sergeant backing up the lance leader. To make that more obvious, the existing Sergeants had their ranks bumped to Mechwarrior.

The command lance already had 2 Master Sergeants, and because a new one wasn't picked up that meant one of the existing had to move into the scout lance. Between the two, only Grandpa had any experience to spend picking up a light 'mech certification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah, bureaucracy!

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

TheParadigm posted:

Huh. Do each of the lances have a hot spare pilot? Slightly surprising to not see both condor and vulture in their lams.
Figured texas was gonna take the ostscout if anything!

Vulture's random SPAs managed to roll Terrain Master (Mountaineer), so I can definitely understand why they got deprioritized for the LAMs, which I am led to believe have a different and pointedly non-compatible strategy for dealing with terrain (putting Marksman on the Gauss Rifle also doesn't hurt).

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Mercury's character sheet is missing the unit picture.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

painedforever posted:

Mercury's character sheet is missing the unit picture.

PoptartsNinja posted:

PTN’s note: I’m still working on some sprites, I’ll get the ‘Mech and Vehicle status updated ASAP. I just didn't want to delay this any more.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ok, it took me way too long to hammer this out, but I'm really pleased with it. And with the custom Thunderbird sprite.

Will get the Aerospace assets posted ASAP tomorrow.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's an absolutely sick looking sprite!

(Also a good as hell looking loadout, too)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok, it took me way too long to hammer this out, but I'm really pleased with it. And with the custom Thunderbird sprite.

Will get the Aerospace assets posted ASAP tomorrow.

:drat:

That looks fantastic, PTN

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fully sick

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Looking forward to a combined arms approach looking sick as hell

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Great spritework! For some reason Aerospace sprites are really satisfying to make. They're also nice and simple since most are pretty much symmetrical.

Fun fact, years ago the MegaMek dev team wanted spritework for several canon Aerospace units, and I wound up submitting a bunch. I've just checked, and what do you know, all of them are still in the game. (For the curious, my ones are the Aquila, Cutlass, Koroshiya, Lucifer III, Mengquin, Morgenstern, Picaroon, Poignard, Rondel, Sagittarii, Schrack, Shikra, Simurgh, Sternensturm, Suzaku, Umbra, Wildkatze and Yun. I also submitted designs for the Spectral LAMs, but these seem to have been replaced when all of the Battlemech sprites were standardised.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Alright, got those squared away. Enjoy the sneak preview of the company's new colorscheme.

I was sorely tempted to make the Rapier goofy and lopsided to match its OG art.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 14, 2024

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

That is impressively uneven for a craft that's suppossed to be able to operate in atmosphere

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Newer art is much better, and is what I based my sprite on.

But at the same time, the lopsided old Rapier is almost certainly why some Rapier variants have the "atmospheric instability" negative quirk. :haw:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Big fan of the new colorscheme.

Did the artist just run out of space and start over of the OG art? Thats the only way I can explain the pod looking things at one wingtip and the middle of the wing.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think it's an entirely deliberate attempt to make a severely asymmetric aircraft, it's just that it's a rare thing for a good reason.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Our colour scheme is looking disturbingly non-spastic, but im sure itll buff out.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Those are awesome looking sprites. What are you using to make them?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

Newer art is much better, and is what I based my sprite on.

But at the same time, the lopsided old Rapier is almost certainly why some Rapier variants have the "atmospheric instability" negative quirk. :haw:

There was research some years ago about aircraft with lopsided wings. Or rather, "Oblique wings". The NASA AD-1, for example.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Wikipedia has a whole Asymmetrical Aircraft category, though even the Blohm and Voss ones have a pretty identifiable symmetry plane for the wing instead of having two wings with obviously different aspect ratios. Once you have fly-by-wire and the kind of power-to-weight ratios that aerospace fighters have it shouldn't be that big of a deal, though if I were engineering lead I would still have questions about why we'd chosen to solve the (solvable) problems asymmetry brings instead of just...not.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
State of the Company has been updated with the final 'Mech sprites.

Still working on (player controllable) vehicle layouts and the sprites for the Caravan IIIs. I couldn't find any large aircraft sprites in MegaMek so it's time to improvise.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013

propatriamori posted:

Wikipedia has a whole Asymmetrical Aircraft category, though even the Blohm and Voss ones have a pretty identifiable symmetry plane for the wing instead of having two wings with obviously different aspect ratios. Once you have fly-by-wire and the kind of power-to-weight ratios that aerospace fighters have it shouldn't be that big of a deal, though if I were engineering lead I would still have questions about why we'd chosen to solve the (solvable) problems asymmetry brings instead of just...not.

The Italian C.202 had slightly assymetric airfoils as well, to deal with the need to trim against the torque of the engine.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Are the direct fire weapons such as gauss and lasers all fixed, so that the fighter has to point its nose toward a ground target to take a shot, losing some altitude? Are there also aerospace units with turreted mounts so that they can just orbit a mech and fire their pulse lasers continuously?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

perfluorosapien posted:

Are the direct fire weapons such as gauss and lasers all fixed, so that the fighter has to point its nose toward a ground target to take a shot, losing some altitude? Are there also aerospace units with turreted mounts so that they can just orbit a mech and fire their pulse lasers continuously?

Fighters don't get frontal turrets, their weapons are fixed and the arc is based on moving the fighter. Aerospace fighters have significantly longer ranges with the same weapons provided they're attacking other airborne targets in atmosphere (and they have even longer ranges in space). Fighters effectively don't have side arcs. Wing-mounted weapons have more limited arcs (they can fire straight ahead or into the front arc on their side).

Against ground targets, fighters can make effectively four actions:
- Strikes direct all the fighter's firepower at a single unit, this uses the unit's short range damage and tohit values
- Strafing lets the fighter attack with direct-fire energy weapons, attacking everything in a 5 hex line, this uses the unit's short range damage and tohit values
- Dive Bombing lets them drop external ordinance on a single target at the cost of altitude
- Level Bomb lets them drop bombs in a line, but is highly inaccurate

All ground attacks except level bombing render the fighter vulnerable to ground fire, otherwise fighters are basically immune to ground-to-air fire. Level bombing trades accuracy for safety. Most ground attacks cost fighters altitude, and regaining altitude will extend their turnaround times.

Rough example:
The Thunderbird can carry up to 20 pieces of external ordinance (or pods). When fully laden, a Thunderbird's thrust/safe thrust drops from 5 safe thrust / 8 max thrust to 1 safe thrust / 2 max thrust. If a Thunderbird at altitude 3 dive bombs with a full load but drops only a single bomb, it loses 2 altitude but doesn't gain a speed increase because it didn't deploy enough ordinance. In order to turn around, at the start of the next turn it needs to spend 2 safe thrust to regain altitude 3, and 3 more safe thrust to turn around. But it only has the 1 safe thrust, so it would take 5 turns before it was ready to make a return pass (it would be even longer if I was actually tracking distance). Total turns elapsed: 1 strike -> 5 turnaround -> 1 available to strike again (7 turns total)

If it instead dropped its entire payload, its speed would jump back up to 5/8, so on its next turn it would be able to spend 5 safe thrust on the next turn and come about immediately (1 strike -> 1 turnaround -> 1 available to strike again (3 turns total)).

That's assuming no other factors are in play, like weather or enemy fighter cover. So it becomes a balancing act of Do we bring ordinance? (Yes), How much do we expend on the first strike? (Most of it) Do we bring specialty ordinance like Inferno Bombs or Arrow IV Homing Missiles? (Maybe)

Fighter firing arcs don't matter too much because I'm not going to track Aerospace combat directly, it's going to be extrapolated out on the back end. I'm not keeping track of AeroSpace hexes (1 aerospace hex = 1 mapsheet, so a small laser mounted on an AeroSpace Fighter has a 6 mapsheet range); and I'll let you know if there are any specifics that will hamper your fighters, such as: enemy interceptors delaying their turnaround times or enemy dogfighters dealing damage over time as long as they're in the area and uncontested.

Because I think the question might come up:
The Thunderbird and Rapier are both very effective bombers (although if it's carrying a heavy bombload the Rapier will no longer act as a dogfighter and won't contest enemy fighters).
The Rapier's thrust is high enough that it's a good contender for a light load of specialty munitions like 1-5 inferno bombs, Arrow IV missiles, or etc.
The Thunderbird and Rapier are ok at strafing, the Thunderbird can deal a fair amount of damage with energy weapons and two large pulse lasers mean the Rapier's damage is respectable
The Thunderbird and Rapier are brutal direct strike aircraft, since direct strikes let them use their entire armament
The Rapier is very durable, and it will brutalize enemy dogfighters or strike fighters.
Both are vulnerable to enemy fast dogfighters or interceptors (although, as I mentioned above, enemy interceptors don't really do damage they just play spoiler and extend strike turnaround time)

Because you chose the engineering vehicle company, you can recover fighters without needing to launch a DropShip back into space (provided you've had time to build an airfield). The enemy may not have this advantage unless they've captured an airfield somewhere or they lucked into a natural terrain feature.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 15, 2024

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was sorely tempted to make the Rapier goofy and lopsided to match its OG art.

This feels like the artist forgot how perspective works and none of the editors could be bothered to clean it up before it went to print because :effort:.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

This feels like the artist forgot how perspective works and none of the editors could be bothered to clean it up before it went to print because :effort:.

It's definitely intentional, if you count the wing segments the left wing has 2 and the right wing has 4. It just looks really awkward and bad and since the human eye likes symmetry it makes it look like an art error. It's one of those that absolutely shouldn't have been drawn in 3/4ths profile if they wanted to sell it as an asymmetrical fighter.

The new symmetrical version is really nice looking, basically a space P-61 Black Widow.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Now I'm reminded of Crimson Skies, which was also by FASA, and was also awesome.

I mean, the video game definitely was. Can't remember if there was a tabletop. I wish there was a tabletop. Does anyone know if there is a tabletop?

Can we have a campaign of that next?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There was a FASA board game and a Clix game.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Thunderbird and Rapier are both very effective bombers (although if it's carrying a heavy bombload the Rapier will no longer act as a dogfighter and won't contest enemy fighters).

The Rapier is very durable, and it will brutalize enemy dogfighters or strike fighters.
Both are vulnerable to enemy fast dogfighters or interceptors (although, as I mentioned above, enemy interceptors don't really do damage they just play spoiler and extend strike turnaround time)

Couple questions: Are air to air arrows a thing in this era yet, and what would a bomb load look like for a strike on a drop/jumpship?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Couple questions: Are air to air arrows a thing in this era yet

Probably won't matter, but yes.

TheParadigm posted:

and what would a bomb load look like for a strike on a drop/jumpship?

Good question.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely done. Have a real feeling of combined arms here. Air support, can be deployed from airfields.. Do you guys get artillery too?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pre-Combat Recon Vote 5-0

“Eagle-1 to Motherbase. We’re on site. Attack run countdown beginning. Strike countdown: 5 minutes.”

Kaz switched off his transmitter. The message was more of a formality than anything—so far from their own support ships, the two-man flight of Thunderbirds was isolated. They had to keep their transmissions short to avoid notice. It was risky transmitting so late, but their target wasn’t directly between them and Motherbase.

If Motherbase had been at the system’s Nadir jump point, the transmission would have been impossible—but then, so would the strike itself. Fortunately, the data recovered by the ground force commander had included jump telemetry for most of the systems actively being targeted by the fake SLDF. Telemetry that included a few stable “Pirate” Lagrangian points deep within the system’s gravity well. Only a place of orbital stability would enable a JumpShip to turn nose-in to the system’s primary and deploy its solar sails without needing to burn their large but fuel-intensive stationkeeping thrusters.

The Merchant-class JumpShip that had transported the DropShips of the fake SLDF to this attack had arrived at just such a Lagrangian point—and the expedition force had arrived at another; where the telltale neutrino burst that heralded a JumpShip’s arrival would likely go unnoticed. The fakes still showed no sign.

The Thunderbirds lurked in that ship’s shadow and, if they’d been close enough to be detectable by the naked eye, would have been hidden from view by the ship’s vast solar sail. As it was, their target was completely lost in the glare of the system’s primary.

“Huntsman: One strike pass, Gauss only, varied fire rate. Slow approach” Kaz commed his wingman. They were keeping to the directional laser arrays to negate the risk of detection. “I’ll make mine close to assess damage, you keep your distance. Be ready to swing around and strike the bridge if we don’t at least pop the hydrogen seal. Null pods on full.”

“Roger, Tarantula.” His wingmate lasered back.

“Accelerate in three for three, then drift.” Kaz ordered. If they didn’t need to swing around for another pass, an unpowered trajectory would likely be mistaken for another meteorite. And by varying the fire rate of their gauss rifles, it would hopefully seem like the ship had just gotten unlucky and gotten struck by some stray meteorites. Their first shots would be made as they were still accelerating, so the first few hits would come slowly while the rest would strike in rapid succession. The intentional randomness would help disguise the attack. With luck, the fakes would think they’d been struck by an unfortunate meteorite shower which was an ever-present—if remote—threat at any Legrangian jump point.

“Two, one, strike!” Huntsman’s engines flared a fraction of a second before Tarantula’s, and he squeezed the Thunderbird’s firing stud, sending the first rounds from his bird’s gauss rifle at a target too distant to see. He pulsed his squeezes arrhythmically, sometimes firing both slugs simultaneously, other times should keep the later impacts from striking at precise ten second intervals. The longer it took the fakes to realize they were being hunted, the better.

The hum of the gauss rifles firing shook the Thunderbird’s airframe three, four, five more times before Tarantula released the trigger. The ship’s vast solar sail grew in his canopy. A hundred times larger than the tiny sliver of JumpShip, Tarantula tapped his maneuvering thrusters to make sure he missed it. They were at the greatest danger inside that ship’s short range sensors, if someone on the bridge crew was paying attention they’d be easy to lock onto even if the null pods would keep their mass from registering more than a tenth of their actual size.

Tarantula stared, watching that still distant sliver for any sign that their shots had had an effect. If they turned their active sensors on the JumpShip, they’d be made immediately. And they’d have to, if they needed to swing around for a pass at the bridge.

The back half of the ship shimmered and waved as the light from the system’s primary reflected from the solar sail rigging diffused. Tarantula lasered Huntsman again. “Hydrogen seal burst, JumpDrive is offline. No need for a second pass.”

That sort of damage wasn’t entirely irreparable with the right parts, but it would require help from another vessel, more hands than a JumpShip typically carried, and week or two of dangerous work in hard vacuum; and then a month or two spent distilling water for pure hydrogen.

“Roger,” Tarantula radioed. “Any heraldry on the solar sail?”

“None I recognized.” The pair coasted through the danger zone with no sign the JumpShip had detected them. “Just some sort of fish. Probably tropical.”

They waited until they were a full five minutes beyond the longest targeting range band to radio their mission status to Motherbase, then nosed away from the system’s primary to start their burn towards the system’s only inhabitable planet.

Huntsman whistled, the sound picked up easily by his helmet microphone. “That planet passes awfully close to that gas giant.”

“Orbit’s decaying, too,” Kaz pointed out. “In another fifteen, twenty thousand years that gas giant’s going to capture it and rip it apart. Right now, they probably just have an earthquake season whenever tidal forces get too strong. Maybe a yearly season of light radiation dosing from that giant’s magnetic fields, too.”

Huntsman laughed, “Who’d be crazy enough to settle that?”

“Humans,” Kaz laughed too. “Someone who saw green plants and oxygen and thought they’d struck paydirt and didn’t run the orbital numbers until the gas giant lit the night sky up brighter than the moons and the earthquakes started in earnest.”

The Wolf twins sat huddled beside one another in the primary briefing room aboard the newly-christened Gorgonops, whispering boldly as though they expected to be kept waiting. They fell to surprised silence when Syntyche Cameron-Moon entered quickly, with a minimum of fuss. Daniela watched Donovan stare as he struggled to keep the surprise from showing. In her experience, nobles worked on their own timescales even if they were captains of the SLDF.

“My apologies for the brief delay,” Captain Moon began firmly. “Captain Ryoji had a last minute tactical update for me. The fighters have begun their strike on the enemy JumpShip. We’ll know in a few hours whether or not they were successful.”

“We’ll be landing on the third planet of Bre FK23737 D, which is inhabited. Keep taking your supplements, the 1.32 grav we’ve had the grav deck spinning at was only the high-end estimate of Bre-3’s gravity. It looks like it’s pretty spot-on 1.3 time Terran, so the captain’s going to burn in at 1.4. Keep taking your bone and muscle supplements, and with luck it—well, it’s still going to be terrible, but we’ll just have to deal with it.”

“Fortunately, the high gravity gives us an advantage,” Moon explained. “It will slow our targets and should give us an edge in mobility—which we’re going to need. Our micro-satellites have confirmed three grounded Unions. That means we’ll be engaging a full battalion. That means we’re going to need to bleed them by inches with hit-and-run tactics.”

Donovan spoke first, “Won’t the high gravity hamper us as much as the enemy?”

Captain Moon smiled, “Fortunately, no. Our ‘mechs are being filled with an electroconductive gas that will amplify myomer performance to compensate. It’s one of the SLDF’s edges in extreme environments. I can’t tell you the name, or what it’s made of, but I can say we can synthesize more if something goes wrong; so don’t worry too much if you blow a seal or your armor gets breached. This gas will let us function in this gravity with no loss in speed. It will also let you punch slightly above your weight class—there are just a few concerns.”

“First: we have to run off local oxygen or bottled air. Your chassis has to be made airtight. Fortunately, it doesn’t look like we’re in that gas giant’s radiation belt. Yet. But we may need to bottle up for safety if the operation takes more than three or four standard months, and that will really hamper us. I’ve got the tech crews prepping air tanks and the med team manufacturing anti-rad meds just in case. Speaking of which: we’re starting anti-rads right away, just in case. Gas giants are no joke and the people who settled here had to have been crazy.”

“Second: if you take an armor breach, the gas will dissipate and you’ll lose the benefit. We can make more, so that’s not the end of the world, but it will make it more difficult to fade if we don’t wipe out the enemy completely.”

“Third, if you don’t pull your punches and hit something flat out, you’ll run the risk of damaging your own actuators. The command lance’s camouflage systems don’t really function at close ranges so I’d prefer we not need to throw punches; but if you do please try to keep the risks in mind. The longer we spend repairing the longer the enemy has to figure out who we are and what we’re up to.”

“Forth, and this warning’s even more important: Electroconductive gas won’t help you if you fall. A fall in this gravity will be much harder on you than normal. It’ll be like taking a fall in a ‘mech a weight class heavier than what you’re used to.”

“Lastly,” Moon turned, “Even though we can synthesize more, our production capacity is limited. If we take too many breaches we may be out of luck, and I’d rather not take on three times our number on even terms.”

Moon waved her hand at a satellite image of their landing zone. “To that end, as soon as we land I’d like the engineering company to start work clearing a landing field for our AeroSpace assets. Since the Thunderbolts are still at least two days away, that means the Rapiers are going to need to pull double duty as bombers and general air support. With three Union-class ships, the enemy could have as many as six fighters to our four—but they don’t have the ability to clear space. I’m hoping they’ll be reluctant to deploy AeroSpace assets until they try to run for space or they send some of their ‘Mechs to secure a local airfield. I’m also hoping that they’ve replaced some of their compliment with Land-Air ‘Mechs, but don’t count on that. Either way, we should have air superiority in the initial engagements, so the Rapiers are going to be carrying a heavy bomb load.”

“Recon lance, once we touch down you’re on duty. I expect the enemy will reserve one company to defend their dropships, have one scouting and raiding force picking off soft targets and identifying hard targets for their main body, and a main battle force to engage the locals. They landed with three ships, which means they think the locals are pretty tough. There could be at least a company of locals, if not more.”

“What are the chances of linking up with the locals?” Daniela couldn’t help but ask.

“Unknown,” Moon admitted. “We’ll attempt to make contact, but it isn’t our highest priority. Ravager?”

The big pirate leaned forward in her chair. “The locals are big-time raiders. Life on New Greenland’s real lovely, and raiding’s a way to get off planet during the worst of the yearly radiation storms. They’re pretty reliant on raiding for pharmaceuticals—and they probably aren’t going to be thrilled to have the SLDF poking around, even if we are here to help.”

Moon nodded, reiterating. “Not a high priority—assume the locals are hostile unless I tell you otherwise. If we can’t make contact the plan is to avoid them and let them defend themselves while we pick off the fakes.”

“Our satellites should help us keep track of the enemy and locals both, at least in the broadest sense. As soon as we touch down, we’ll deploy the recon lance to find the enemy’s main body. We’re leaving their scouting force alone for now, it’ll be easier to disengage from heavier units. Wolf Lance, you’re being kept in reserve, defending the DropShips. If things go well and we force the enemy onto the defensive, we’ll rotate you into the offensive—but if we can’t manage that the enemy may sweep the area with their scout forces. I’d like you to engage and destroy them, or drive them off before they can find our landing zone.”

“For now, the Command Lance will engage the enemy’s main body. I don’t expect to take for ‘mechs and destroy a full enemy company, but if we can cripple or destroy three or four of them that should throw the enemy into disarray—especially if we can disengage in good order. Anything more than that will make our task easier.”

Moon’s gaze swept the room, “Which leads me to my last point: I’d prefer to strike them when they’re unprepared—during a meal, or late at night. The former would require the scouts to get close, but should make sure most of their pilots are temporarily out of their ‘Mechs to get food. The latter won’t buy us as much time, but the darkness could still make our jobs easier. Negotiation Lance, this is where I differ to your experience. What do you think?”

Pre-Combat Recon Vote:
1) Close Recon
Positive Outcome: Few active enemies, some enemy units could remain inactive for up to 9 turns
Potential Negative Outcome: Enemy may become alerted, recon lance may be engaged
2) Safe Recon
Positive Outcome: Few active enemies, some enemy units could remain inactive for up to 6 turns but most will be active by turn 4
Guaranteed Negative Outcome: Combat will take place at night

Vote Here!

PTN's note: I'm really sorry about the continued delay. I got roped into running 2 different Lancer games by two different groups of friends; and since the friend groups share members I can't take the easy route and run both through the same sets of missions, so my free time has gotten devoured. I'm probably going to be dropping one of the Lancer games soon, since they're nearing a reasonable stopping point.

Oh, and the game is now open for pilot volunteers! Please private message me if you'd like a shot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 4, 2024

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Went with Safe Recon, I think we'll have an edge at night honestly.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

How do we determine whether we get a positive or negative outcome? What are the chances?

(Or is that just the positive and negative outcomes of each choice, both guaranteed?)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Safe recon for now. The worst thing we can do is to let them know we are here. A night action will give us the surprise without risking our cover

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I don't have a vote, but this whole scenario is cool as hell.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Safe recon. Idea here is divide and conquer. the enemy is spread out but they have three times our number.

Intel is critical so we can hit them at right place and time. That means we wanna maximize surprise and preserve our intel assets - our recon lance.

Object is to gather data, not do a hit and run. This campaign is gonna be determined by our ability to control the engagements. Attrition serves them, not us. Force preservation is important. We have to control the flow of battle, fight when the circumstances favor us.

Something splashy might work well, but if it doesn't we run the risk of our recon lance being swarmed and even if they get out, they risk being battered nd we lose our most important asset here.

Remember, knowing is half the battle!

The other half is overloaded PPC generators.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

drat

votes are still even huh

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Akratic Method posted:

How do we determine whether we get a positive or negative outcome? What are the chances?

Recon is always going to be a split between a risky option and a safe option. The risky option will have a chance for a very bad negative outcome (usually the recon team getting spotted / attacked and the attack being spoiled), while the safe option will have a guaranteed but comparatively minor negative option.

It's a behind the scenes roll, but you don't know the odds. You just have to weigh the risks, like: does the enemy even realize the players are around? Do they have the speed or numbers to catch the recon lance if they do get spotted? Does the recon lance have any advantages like Chameleon Systems or ECM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Close Recon. It's always important to get as much intelligence as possible.

If Recon gets into trouble, well, that's part of the job.